Help with a fluffy Imperial Guard army (1850)

Keirebu

First big post on B&C so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

The list is my first "real" army outside of friendly unbound games, and I'm for ways to make its somewhat competitive. It's designed around the idea of a more elite mechanized and airborne rapid-insertion unit (imagine a mix between Kasrkin and Elysians). It was primarily designed to deal with a Chaos Space Marine army (Word Bearers).

(No slot)

Enginseer (40pts)

(HQ)

Company Command Squad (261pts)

- Astropath

- Camo Gear for Veterans

- Carapace Armour

- Chimera (2x Heavy Bolter & Camo Netting) 

- Company Commander (Carapace Armour, Power Fist & Camo Gear)

- 2x Veteran w/ Meltagun

- Veteran w/ Regimental Standard (Laspistol & Close Combat Weapon)

- Veteran w/ Vox Caster (Lasgun)

Lord Commissar (95pts)

- Bolt Pistol

- Camo Gear

- Carapace Armour

- Power Sword

(Elites)

Tempestus Scions (175pts)

- Tempestor (Power Fist)

- 7x Tempestus Scion

- Tempestus Scion w/ Hot-Shot Volley Gun

- Tempestus Scion w/ Melta Gun

Ratlings (30pts)

- 3x Ratling

(Troops)

Veterans (176pts)

- Grenadiers

- Taurox (Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter)

- Veteran Sergeant (Bolter)

- 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun

- 3x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun

Veterans (165pts)

- Grenadiers

- Chimera (Multi Laser, Heavy Bolter & Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber)

- Veteran Autocannon Team (Lasgun)

- Veteran Sergeant 

- Veteran w/ Grenade Launcher

- 5x Veteran w/ Lasgun

Veterans (176pts)

- Grenadiers

- Chimera (Mutli Laser, Heavy Bolter & Dozer Blade)

- Veteran Lascannon Team (Lasgun)

- Veteran Sergeant (Bolt Pistol)

- Veteran w/ Flamer

- 5x Veteran w/ Lasgun

- Veteran w. Vox Caster (Lasgun)

(Fast Attack)

Scout Sentinel Squadron (77pts)

- Scout Sentinel (Multi Laser & Searchlight)

- Scout Sentinel (Autocannon & Searchlight)

Valkyrie Squadron (125pts) +++ For the Scions +++

-Valkyrie (Multi Laser & Hellstrike Missiles)

(Heavy Support)

Leman Russ Squadron (190pts)

- Leman Russ Battle Tank (Recovery Gear, Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolter & Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber)

Leman Russ Squadron (190pts)

- Leman Russ Battle Tank (Recovery Gear, Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolter & Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber)

Leman Russ Squadron (150pts)

- Leman Russ Vanquisher (Recovery Gear &  Lascannon)

edit: Just noticed the sub-forum, so I'd appreciate it if someone could move it there.

Welcome to the B&C Keirebu :tu: Looks like your list is a good start but I can see potential improvements. Your CCS is very expensive and would benefit from a bit less - the standard in particular won't do much for the price tag. The Vets are good, I'm assuming the idea is to use the Chimeras as bunkers? Scions should do well, but I'd ditch the volley gun for a second melta as the rest of the squad will provide plenty of AP3.

Scout Sentinels would probably benefit from having the same gun, but a nice unit to harass and take down light armour (like Rhinos) especially outflanking. Russes are good, but I'd try and keep costs down a bit on them and the Vanquisher is literally hit or miss outside of the HQ slot :P

What colour scheme are your Guard in, do you have some pictures to share?

I'd not take power fist for Company Commander. Believe me you don't want your warlord to come into close combat if he's not Colonel Straken. Don't try to fight those mutants in hand-to-hand. Just outgun them. Those fat power-armoured fancy-pants don't like rolling many saves. so more lusguns with orders plus some plasma guns would do very good against those heretics. 
Not sure about how you want to use your transports with heavy weapons teams. Don't have a rulebook around here. would the teams be able to shoot after moving in transport? 
One more little thingy: boltgun and bolt pistol have the same price but two shots are better. Playing Guard is very often about quantity not quality. Some times that even means to put more cheap bodies than enemy can shoot.

I believe you have not enough models so you use all those upgrades on comsquad, russes and chimeras. Good luck with expanding your regiment. And welcome to the barracks.

At a quick glance it looks like you've put a lot of points into upgrades especially tanks and CCS.

As mentioned above guard do a lot better with quantity than quality (from an upgrade perspective).

I am not a fan of kitting any of my tanks with more than sponsons or lascannons providing they don't suffer from ordinance. Also with the limitations on firing weapons I find pintle mounted weapons a big sink for what little they offer. Some people love them especially when it comes to mitigating weapon destroyed.

I also try and avoid power weapon upgrades on my guardsmen. Too expensive and chances are they probably won't even get a chance to swing with it against.

With the CCS you probably don't want melta in them because you don't want them to really be that close to anything. I kit mine with heavy weapons and maybe a flamer for wall of death. Otherwise I keep them bare bones maybe switch out their last unsure for pistol and ccw for the extra attack (believe it or not it does occasionally make a difference). As for the standard you could keep it in there for rule of cool. Buff wise it's not really worth it.

With the scions for 5 pts more you could field 2x 5 man squads with 2 meltas in each. Scions kitted like that are almost an auto include for me.

I think you're on the right track. Some tweaking is required. My advice is you're better of playing smaller games then trying to spend points on upgrades for larger ones.

If you expect you scions to end up in CC, drop the Power fist and take a power maul. the Maul will let you take an extra attack at S5, and like we keep saying quantity over quality. I'd also recommend against grenade launchers on vets, and if you take weapons teams, invest in Forward sentries rather than grenadiers. +1 cover is better than 4+ armor, if you can get them into buildings or ruins. Save the grenadiers for plasma squads, and you should probably have 2 of those. 1 squad to harrass is fine (like an autocannon and sniper rifle squad) but plasma grenadiers are a line squad, and you should have more of them, and put your plasma grenadiers in chimeras, they're more durable. let the backfielders have the taurox.

Welcome to the B&C and to the Imperial Guard! We have cookies and punch on the table... No, I joke. This is the Guard, trooper - we don't do punch mellow.png.

You'll be assigned to a platoon later. The only thing you need to do right now is man the front with Pvt Carl. Pictures of your army would be nice, too.

Carry on thumbsup.gif!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm currently in the process of updating the list taking your suggestions into accounts. I haven't got many pictures to share as I've currently only painted (to a new, much improved standard) one Scout Sentinel and one Chimera. I have (a majority) of the rest of the models from the original list painted or undercoated but will be redoing them over the coming weeks. 

I'll update this post with the next edit once the list is done again.

A few pictures of the models mentioned above, as per the description the lighting is awful here so photos aren't great. The rest of the models are currently in the process of conversion for the amended list. 

Chimera 1 Side

Chimera 1 Front

Cheers! At the moment fatigues are Dryad Bark > Doombull Brown > Balor Brown > Reikland Fleshshade and the armour is Castellan Green > Elysian Green > Athonian Camoshade. 

I'm considering doing the Scions in the same way that I did this piece: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJDEVPhjkII/?taken-at=675895129, if not then most likeley the Scions and Veterans will share colours.

As for the list, I was considering adding in a 3 man squad of Ogryn to act as a tarpit, but not 100% sure if they're cost effective.

Cool, I look forward to seeing your soldiers too :) As for Ogryns they're unfortunately not brilliant, they suffer from a bit of a lack of direction which wouldn't be so bad if they were cheaper. Bullgryns are more useful I think, as they can protect your lines and dish out some hurt in the process.

Alright, a modified version of the above list taking into consideration some of the things said above:

(No slot)

Enginseer (40pts)

(HQ)

Company Command Squad (196pts)

- Astropath

- Carapace Armour

- Chimera (2x Heavy Bolter & Camo Netting) 

- Company Commander (Carapace Armour)

- 1x Veteran w/ Flamer

- Veteran Autocannon Team (Lasgun)

Lord Commissar (95pts)

- Bolt Pistol

- Camo Gear

- Carapace Armour

- Power Sword

(Elites)

(Tempestus Scions Platoon) +++ Start in Reserves +++

Tempestus Scions (90pts)

- Tempestor

- 2x Tempestus Scion

- 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Melta Gun

Tempestus Scions (90pts)

- Tempestor

- 2x Tempestus Scion

- 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Hot-shot Volley Gun

Tempestus Scions (90pts)

- Tempestor (Plasma Pistol)

- 3x Tempestus Scion

- 1x Tempestus Scion w/ Flamer

Ratlings (30pts)

- 3x Ratling

(Troops)

Veterans (126pts)

- Grenadiers

- 5x Veteran w/ Lasgun

- Veteran w/ Vox-caster

Veterans (175pts)

- Grenadiers

- 5x Veteran w/ Lasgun

- Veteran w/ Vox-caster

Veterans (126pts)

- Grenadiers

- Veteran Sergeant

- 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun

- 3x Veteran w/ Meltagun

(Fast Attack)

Scout Sentinel Squadron (72pts)

Valkyrie Squadron (250pts) +++ One for each Plasma Veteran Squad +++

(Heavy Support)

Leman Russ Squadron (165pts)

- Leman Russ Battle Tank (Lascannon & Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber)

Leman Russ Squadron (160pts)

- Leman Russ Battle Tank (Lascannon)

Leman Russ Squadron (145pts)

- Leman Russ Vanquisher (Lascannon)

I like the pictures! Your Scion looks nice, too. Consider yourself manning the Hydra right now laugh.png!

Although I can't comment on the list as I don't play anymore, it looks full of guardsmen that are ready to bring the light of the Emperor to the heretics and xenos. Nothing warms my heart more. Well, maybe another fuel cell for my eviscerator. That could work, too. Also, I second the Lord Commissar in his suggestion of Bullgryns. They're quite the line holders.

Keep it up thumbsup.gif!

Painting wise the standard scheme looks good, tactics wise within the list I wanted to have him drop in with the storm troopers to help hold down objectives. Plus I just like Commissars so it was a bit of a must have when thinking of an army that I wanted to use.

Your chimera is top notch mate, perfect amount of weathering and grime. 

I look forward to seeing more of your army log and seeing how your list evolves as you play.  I have so much fun writing lists, and as I read things/play test myself it becomes meaner and more suited to my play style.  It's really satisfying.

As for your list, I play heavy armour mostly, but I almost always have a back line vet squad with camo gear, a lascannon and sniper rifles.  It doesn't cost a bomb and it always gets serious work done whilst often being too cheap/far away for my enemy to bother with.  The other thing I love is a master of ordnance in my command squad.  If you keep the squad parked away from the front line he'll pay for himself many times over. 20 pts for large blasts is as much a psychological weapon as anything else, even if he is often wildly inaccurate.

Archived