Praetors of Calth

apologist

I think some flamers are a must, both for how they fit the character and doctrine of the XVII, but also as they're fantastically handy in the urban and subterranean warfare of the Shadow Crusade. I would offer to send you my spares from the new Chaos kits (turning them into Kakophoni, so head and shoulder swaps abound) however I'm at uni and my Chaos collection is not.

Lovely work on the Word Bearers.
Like Pearson73 said flamers fit the Legion's style perfectly, but if you can figure out something more sadistic that's even better. Not that there's ever anything wrong with a mass of bolters.
I think the new Chaos Marine box offers some really great bits to give the look of a transitional period when used sparingly like added spikes and jagged trims.

b.jpg

'I love the smell of Calth in the morning. Smells like... victory.'

I think some flamers are a must, both for how they fit the character and doctrine of the XVII, but also as they're fantastically handy in the urban and subterranean warfare of the Shadow Crusade. I would offer to send you my spares from the new Chaos kits (turning them into Kakophoni, so head and shoulder swaps abound) however I'm at uni and my Chaos collection is not.

Thanks for the kind thought anyway – much appreciated. I absolutely agree on the flamers – perhaps I'll see if I can lay my hands on some of the new Sororitas ones for that extra visual flair...

Lovely work on the Word Bearers.
Like Pearson73 said flamers fit the Legion's style perfectly, but if you can figure out something more sadistic that's even better. Not that there's ever anything wrong with a mass of bolters.
I think the new Chaos Marine box offers some really great bits to give the look of a transitional period when used sparingly like added spikes and jagged trims.

Cheers Markus; very kind. That transitional feel is something I'm keen to explore further on the new additions:

e.jpg

The chap on the left has a corrupted pauldron, growing teeth at the bottom. It's pretty subtle, however; I think you'll have to look quite closely to find bits like that. Nevertheless, I hope having such bits scattered in will help make the link between the standard Astartes and the Twiceborn possessed a bit less marked.

The new marines are accompanied by some slaves/cultists, too, who help make the size of the Legionaries suitably clear.

a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

d.jpg

'Twin sacrifices; elder and younger: Monarchia and Calth. United in death.'

Plugging away at painting Word Bearers. Three more done bar Legion/Chapter markings (and the inevitable additional details).

e.jpg

...and three more ready to paint:

b.jpg

Love to hear your thoughts.

I really like the word bearers, they come across as far more recipient of advanced marks of armour compared to your ultras. First picture I thought they were BAs though due to the lighting.

How did you find doing the geometry? I found it hard to get away from the circle motif while still looking "word bearers" .

Really liking the pose of the new fellas, always a fan of a slung bolter and a more casual pose. The additional cabling of the flamer bearer is a nice touch too.

Ta. The Primaris figures are proving a nice fresh canvas.

I really like the word bearers, they come across as far more recipient of advanced marks of armour compared to your ultras. First picture I thought they were BAs though due to the lighting.

How did you find doing the geometry? I found it hard to get away from the circle motif while still looking "word bearers" .

Yeah, getting them bright enough to be interesting, but not so crimson as to look like Blood Angels is a balancing act.

The geometric designs are really good fun – I picture star charts and solar systems to give me a starting point; combining concentric arcs with straight lines.

Here's the next bunch of marines. I'm working up these five in one go, to try and push me over the edge. It's all downhill from there! 

d.jpg

Good luck with the batch! :wink: Love what you've pieced together so far, the geometric patterns are perfect to provide their smooth armour some character. Have you thought about adding freehands/decals to a few soulder pads?

Good luck with the batch! :wink: Love what you've pieced together so far, the geometric patterns are perfect to provide their smooth armour some character. Have you thought about adding freehands/decals to a few soulder pads?

Thanks Isengrin, I agree: those big blank panels need breaking up. I've started a bit of the freehand, and have a whole squad table-ready:

+++

j.jpg

Following their shift in fortunes on the surface of Calth, the XVIIth were forced to scramble into the subterranean arcologies alongside those whose world they had murdered. The surviving force was substantial, but as organisationally disrupted as their former Imperial allies. Operating on standard battle protocols, the Word Bearers quickly formed scratch-squads – improvising swiftly to remain battle-ready.

As the Underworld War began in earnest, the formidable resilience of Ultramarine Command and Control began to demonstrate itself, and the Word Bearers found themselves on the back foot. Both Legions were forced to reconfigure themselves – and quickly – for neither side could afford the luxury of underestimating their opponents.  

The Word Bearers were, after all, far from broken. Their fanatical zeal remained underpinned by Legionary discipline, and the Ultramarines continued to struggle in their attempt to adapt to the Word Bearers' broad use of warpcraft.
Edited by apologist

One... final... push...

There.

w.jpg

Legion symbols and basing complete; I have a full squad of Word Bearers ready to roll. 

s.jpg

...and even better than that, they've got some enemies to fight. While the bulk of work on these Ultramarines has been rebasing, I've also added the tactical markings that have been missing for years – I was holding off until the release of 'canon' info, but then never got round to adding it. At last, they're done.

Now just to rebase and detail the rest of the army – yikes!

I like how you snuck a gal vorbak into the squad and it doesn't even look out of scale. The only thing that's even a little off is that his helmet grill isn't silver like the rest.

Yeah, I was pleased with how well he fits in. I'm half-tempted to match the grille (and shoulder pads), but part of the idea here was to get stuff done, so I may leave him, explaining the variation being down to him being in a different Chapter, as per the background. What do you reckon?

In this particular example, it's because the Gal Vorbak model was painted ages ago, and when I came to the new ones I decided I wanted to evoke the cover of the game box more closely. I can see the argument for repainting, but having little inconsistencies is something I like to include, as it gives a more grounded, individual feel. With that said, I might tweak it at some point (I still need to add the various Chapter markings). You can see similar bits in the Ultramarines above – while most have the big pads with additional trim, there are a couple who don't; and similarly with the Mark II Crusade-pattern and Mark II Praetor-pattern helms. 

+++

Meanwhile, away from Calth, something happening on Armatura...

t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For a conversion I'm making, I'd like to gather up some info on how Lorgar looked at various times, particularly during the battle alongside Angron against Guilliman on Nuceria.

What are the things that make Lorgar identifiable to you? How do you picture him in your mind's eye? 

How do you picture his mace, Illuminarium? Do you picture his armour? Is it ornate? What colour?

How closely does the Forge World model or the various artworks match your personal vision?

• 1 month later...

For a conversion I'm making, I'd like to gather up some info on how Lorgar looked at various times, particularly during the battle alongside Angron against Guilliman on Nuceria.

What are the things that make Lorgar identifiable to you? How do you picture him in your mind's eye? 

How do you picture his mace, Illuminarium? Do you picture his armour? Is it ornate? What colour?

How closely does the Forge World model or the various artworks match your personal vision?

Betrayer's cover comes to mind.

In this particular example, it's because the Gal Vorbak model was painted ages ago, and when I came to the new ones I decided I wanted to evoke the cover of the game box more closely. I can see the argument for repainting, but having little inconsistencies is something I like to include, as it gives a more grounded, individual feel. With that said, I might tweak it at some point (I still need to add the various Chapter markings). You can see similar bits in the Ultramarines above – while most have the big pads with additional trim, there are a couple who don't; and similarly with the Mark II Crusade-pattern and Mark II Praetor-pattern helms. 

+++

Meanwhile, away from Calth, something happening on Armatura...

t.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I feel your Guilliman is superior to the official models.

• 11 months later...

Thank you! I've been updating and rebasing the army recently; basically ticking in those odd little bits and pieces from here and there. In particular, I've given Captain Ventanus a bit of a spritz, with a new head and slight adjustment to his placement on the base. I had to resist the urge to fiddle and tweak much else – that way lies madness!

C88D0E53-64D5-481E-AEAA-046516785AFC.jpe

Edited by apologist