Let's continue the "Watching Out" discussions with a focus on the 'Armour' of the Watch:
Land Raiders, Land Raider Redeemers, & Land Raider Crusaders

I want to survey the boards opinions on their relevancy and useful weapon load-outs.

I think Land Raiders of all stripes do exactly the same things for Deathwatch that they do for SM of all flavors: transport precious Assault units, hopefully survive to Round 3. 

Unfortunately they are a bit less useful for DW since they cannot transport Bikers or Jump Packers, which many of the Kill Teams require you to attach to your Veterans. 

In theory you could do 4x Terminators with TH/SS + x # of Vets with Heavy Thunder Hammers, a Sgt w/ a Xenophase + Storm Shield, vets with whatever power weapons you want, a Watch Master for coolness, and a Libby to give them all Endurance (hopefully). Fit all that in a Land Raider Crusader and storm up the board. Hope it survives since it'll cost more than half your army. 

Personally, I have trouble seeing the synergy with DW, especially since everything costs so much as it is. 

I think Land Raiders of all stripes do exactly the same things for Deathwatch that they do for SM of all flavors: transport precious Assault units, hopefully survive to Round 3. 

Unfortunately they are a bit less useful for DW since they cannot transport Bikers or Jump Packers, which many of the Kill Teams require you to attach to your Veterans. 

In theory you could do 4x Terminators with TH/SS + x # of Vets with Heavy Thunder Hammers, a Sgt w/ a Xenophase + Storm Shield, vets with whatever power weapons you want, a Watch Master for coolness, and a Libby to give them all Endurance (hopefully). Fit all that in a Land Raider Crusader and storm up the board. Hope it survives since it'll cost more than half your army. 

Personally, I have trouble seeing the synergy with DW, especially since everything costs so much as it is. 

I am inclined to agree, but I'm an old drop podder at heart.

I think DW will get more mileage out of pods than land raiders.

Hi!

Just theory crafting, and will probably need a FAQ to clear this up, but right now there is a possibility for turn 1 deep strike Land Raider without scatter. There is a relic what allows just this, you just have to drop pod character with this relic into the enemy's deployment zone lets say with a redeemer for the heavy flame storm cannons and assault cannons as the cheapest option and your unit are there first turn in a safe 14/14/14 armor assault box right in the face.

Being immobilised by grav isn't even matter anymore and even if it is destroyed, the squad in it will be safe behind the wreckage from the left over shooting.

Any ideas why it should not work with how the rule of the relic currently is worded?

As worded it would work. Vehicles taken in a detachment count as that faction, the rule is a friendly unit from the death watch faction. That is a rather solid way to make use of a land raider and that land raider could be the auxiliary for the black spear if one doesn't have any corvus or don't want dreadnoughts.

Hi!

Just theory crafting, and will probably need a FAQ to clear this up, but right now there is a possibility for turn 1 deep strike Land Raider without scatter.

Huh, just read The Beacon Angelis again, and RAW you have a point.  This Relic in no way specifies what type of unit you can teleport, it just says "friendly unit . . . Deathwatch Faction." I hadn't even considered this option, and it does make a massive argument for a fully loaded Redeemer, though you will have to deploy the Redeemer on the table for it to work.  That gives your opponent 1 turn to take it out, though this is still a preferable option to trying to drive it across the table.  Man, this will make Tau players lose their minds if it doesn't get FAQ'd/Errata'd away!

Hi!

Just theory crafting, and will probably need a FAQ to clear this up, but right now there is a possibility for turn 1 deep strike Land Raider without scatter.

Huh, just read The Beacon Angelis again, and RAW you have a point. This Relic in no way specifies what type of unit you can teleport, it just says "friendly unit . . . Deathwatch Faction." I hadn't even considered this option, and it does make a massive argument for a fully loaded Redeemer, though you will have to deploy the Redeemer on the table for it to work. That gives your opponent 1 turn to take it out, though this is still a preferable option to trying to drive it across the table. Man, this will make Tau players lose their minds if it doesn't get FAQ'd/Errata'd away!

Every good table should have some line of sight blocking terrain, hide it well, drop in, then bam. Shame you can't assault out of it after that but still.

Archived