Sniper special rule & high strength weapons...

olsol

When running legion veterans with the marksman special add on for their veteran skill, they gain the sniper special rule for their ranged weapons. Does this mean that things like missile launchers and heavy bolsters wound on a 4+ even if it is against MEQ's??

The FAQ Answers your question:

Are Tactical Veterans with the Sniper special rule now restricted to wounding on a 4+ if they take a meltagun, instead of its usual 2+?

The wording of the Sniper special rule changed in 7th edition, and should be used as it is now shown in the 7th edition Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. However, if a model is making a shooting attack, if they would normally need less than a 4+ to wound thanks to their weapon’s Strength, the better To Wound roll is still used in games played with the Horus Heresy army lists, and if the weapon they are using has a superior AP value, that AP value is still used.

In this example, a meltagun fired by a Tactical Veteran with the Sniper special rule still only needs a 2+ to wound against a target with Toughness 4, and uses its AP 1 regardless.

Other special rules for the weapon they are using remain unchanged.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

i had this arguement before, I think RAI you're correct and we should use the weapons strength vs armour too.

HOWEVER

RAW you can't, it covers rolling to wound but at no time ever mentions armour penatration which are two very distinct things.

(I have used veterans with the sniper rule and specifically tell me i couldnt make much use of melta guns/missile launchers for the above reason, so if anyone can provide a quote that proves otherwise, please do as it'd be useful to me too!)

Yeah, probably find some better peeps to game with.

Being a Sniper and thus being able to aim better than an average joe somehow makes your gun not hit as hard? What?

Forgeworld literally answered this in an FAQ I think, an older one.

We can always ask them again.

I guess if worst comes to pass, I'll just use the +1 Str against armour. Str8 plasmas can definitely be a worry.

Ironically they show just how dumb the people are who answer these questions.  They clearly misunderstood the point of the question because they say "vehicles aren't mentioned", which is the whole problem, rather than the supposed solution they see. They basically say "well the rule doesn't allow vehicles, so we don't see why vehicles wouldn't be allowed".  Brain-dead morons, every one of them.

Terminus, I think the problem is not that they're morons, just that poorly worded questions, which skirt the uncertainty without explaining what needs clarification is the main cause.

Here someone asked what happens to hits against AV without pointing out that the rules for sniper says they hit at S4, hence the stupid answer.

Recently we had the issue regarding Burning Retros which asked which - the pod or the dread - the question referred to, which was the dread, but failing to mention the uncertainty whether the rule applied when the dread remained inside or when it dropped out.

Sure the answers sometimes are stupid, but a proper question would go a long way...

Archived