Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Iron Without Iron Warriors IVth Legion Challenge

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

gallery_77459_12304_328957.png

“Brothers of the Iron Fourth! Sons of Perturabo! The cowardly Imperial Fists are drawing recruits and shoring up their defenses, getting ready to weather the assault of that commander of the Black Legion.
Will we let the lily-livered lapdogs of the False Emperor cower behind their walls? Will we let our cousins in black get all the glory? NO! For we are the IVth Legion, the Iron Warriors! We shall tear down their walls, and burn their cities to the ground! We shall humiliate them, and teach them fear!

We shall make them pay!!!

IRON WITHIN!!!”

As the Imperial Fists get ready for their IV Expansion, it becomes obvious that the Iron Warriors - true masters of siege warfare - must also reload their boltguns and sharpen their chainswords. Buoyed up by Captain Semper's E Tenebrae Lux event, I would like to present The Iron Without, a painting contest for the IVth Legion, and any splinter warbands of the Iron Warriors you may like.

(Please note, this contest does not restrict access to Call of Chaos or any Age of Darkness painting contests.)

gallery_77459_12304_737.png THE IRON WITHOUT

Are you are true Son of Perturabo who has models to paint but no motivation? Are your Basilisks only waiting for a coat of silver and stripes to pummel the Fist’s walls to dust and rubble? If this sounds like you, welcome to the first edition of the Iron Without, a painting contest for the Iron Warriors and the IVth Legion!

Proposed merely a week ago but already gathering many dedicated painters, the Iron Without is set to be a fun and exciting event.
Not only will we be motivating each other to paint ever more sons of the Iron Lord, with ever greater skill and technique, but for this first edition, we shall be competing against the Legion that has ever attempted to rival us, the Imperial Fists. Through our strength and determination, our dogged stubbornness in the face of adversity, we shall show them the folly of their arrogance!

Once more unto the breach, scions of Perturabo, once more;

Or close the wall up with our Iron dead.

IRON WITHIN!!!

gallery_77459_12304_737.png OUTLINE

The Iron Without is an event open to all Sons of Perturabo, whether in the disant past of M30/M31 or in the dark future of the 41st Millennium, with the aim of getting your unpainted models out of boxes and onto the painting table!

You will have four months to paint as many models/points as possible. Since we are competing against the Imperial Fists, the aim shall be to paint more points than they have in the same time frame.

While you will only be able to vow Codex-legal units, there will be one small exception (that we will cover later on) for people who just want to paint a one-off model to test out a colour scheme, join in the fun without committing to paint too much, or both!

Reward-wise, there shall be two types: personal rewards shall be in the shape of signature banners for each and every person who completes their vow(s) in the given time; and if we beat the Imperial side (which we will msn-wink.gif), we shall proudly display our Iron Banners as the winning team.

As this new event is largely based on the Imperial Fists Expansion events, you might want to check out last year's event to get a feel of what it shall be like (ie. heaps of fun).

gallery_77459_12304_737.png RULES

The rules for this event are simple:

1. TEAMS
You pick a side between the Imperial Fists and their successors or the Iron Warriors and their splinter groups. If you are reading this, the choice is already made. Welcome to the winning team, fellow Warsmith.

2. VOWS
Every participant on either side must make at least one (1) and up to a maximum of seven (7) vows. Each of these vows must have at least one (1) and up to four (4) Codex-legal units. There is no limit on points.
To be accepted, the vow must be posted either in this thread (for the Sons of Perturabo) or the Imperial Fists Expansion IV thread (for the Sons of Dorn) using the following format (minor variations accepted):

I, [insert name here], vow on the honour of [insert Chapter/Legion name here] to fully paint at least [unit name, wargear, and quantity] from [source (ie. book, dataslate, etc)] with a total points value of [points] by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

It is crucial to note the following things:

• If you fail to complete one vow, then all previous vows are considered void and do not count towards the final points total;
  • You must start work on your vow after having submitted it. Miniatures that are entered into the challenge must be unpainted, undercoated, or in the very early stages of painting. If you are unsure whether or not your models qualify for entry, please ask.
  • A vow must be completed before another is made. Also, once submitted, a vow cannot be modified in any shape or form so think before you pledge!

3. VICTORY
Once the event is over and the dust has settled, a number of things shall happen.

Firstly, for all of those who have successfully completed all of their vows, there shall be a signature banner celebrating their personal success and the upkeep of their promise. Wear it with pride as you continue your activities on the Bolter & Chainsword!

Secondly, Dosjetka and I shall have the wonderful task of going through all of the vows and do the tally of successful vows to determine which of the two teams is the winner. The winning team will receive a special signature badge to celebrate victory over their rivals.

gallery_77459_12304_737.png DEADLINES

FIRST VOW START DATE: Saturday 20th August 2016
PAINTING START DATE: Saturday 27th August 2016 (Get your brushes out already)
FIRST VOW DEADLINE: Saturday 17th September 2016, at 18:00 GMT
PAINTING END DATE: Saturday 3rd December 2016, at 18:00 GMT

All deadlines shall be strictly observed. Make sure you give yourself enough time to post your vows and then complete them to avoid any disappointment! There shall be no exceptions!

gallery_77459_12304_737.png LEGAL UNITS

Each vow must be made up of at least one unit from the latest Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Armour Vol 13 - War Machines of the Lost and the Damned, the Black Legion supplement, or the relevant Forge World Horus Heresy books and dataslates. These can be mixed and matched but their source must be clear. If you have any doubts, please ask.

As the rumours indicate that a new Chaos Codex and/or supplement is just around the corner, vows made after the book’s release date can use new units, and must use the updated points. This will not affect previous vows.

There is one exception to this rule for the people who just want to join in for a bit of fun without painting masses of models:

You can vow a single, infantry-sized model (in power armour and variants or Terminator armour) of your choice as your first vow. No other units can be pledged in this first vow and you can only make such a vow once during the whole event. Whatever the wargear choice, model in game terms, etc. this entry will always have a fixed value of 50 points. This is to give people the opportunity to model and paint a one-off model of their choice while also allowing them to contribute to the overall effort.

IMPORTANT:
It goes without saying that all models must represent a member of the Iron Warriors Legion or one of its splinter warbands.

It also goes without saying that all vowed models must respect WYSIWYG as much as possible.

gallery_77459_12304_737.png TROPHIES

Since we are doing this event in tandem with the Imperial Fists B&C community, Dosjetka and I have decided to introduce the concept of trophies. Trophies are a way to add detail to your models while also giving you a small points bonus for the overall points score. The given bonus will be a +10% point increase (rounding down) for the trophy'd unit when we do the totals at the end of the event. To be eligible, at least 50% of the unit's models need to have a trophy. For example, in the case of a Dreadnought unit made up of one Dreadnought, you only need to add a single element to the Dreadnought's base (a split helmet) for it to be considered trophy'd. However in a five-man Tactical Squad, three of the five models need to have a trophy for the unit to be considered trophy'd. In the case of a ten-man Squad, at least five models must have a trophy.

A trophy can be one of the following (non-exhaustive list):

• The helmet of a fallen warrior;
  • A banner that has been cast down;
  • The burning remains of armour/a vehicle;
  • Etc

It goes without saying that these trophies must represent the opposing team (in our case, Imperial Fists) and must immediately recognisable as such – Successor chapters are allowed, but have to be recognisable as an Imperial Fists successor (eg. Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Executionners etc.)

gallery_77459_12304_737.png IMPORTANT STUFF

I could put whole list of things here but most of that is common sense. However, if you have any questions concerning anything that might be unclear or not mentioned in the post above, please do not hesitate to ask by posting in this very thread or by sending me a PM!

Out-of-competiton vows

There could be cases that what people want to build/paint cannot be reconciled with the rules posted above. For example, some might want to do crazy conversions or scratch builds; others might want to paint miniatures from other gaming systems, such as Epic, BFG, etc; some might miss the deadline for joining in; or some want to paint models which aren't included within the allowed Codecies and books. It’s also a possibility that some cases people might want to paint miniatures from the rival team (HERESY! furious.gif).

With that in mind, out-of-competition vows are allowed and can be added to the Rules & Vow thread (this one) but shall not be counted towards the team totals at the end of the event! You are expected to finish your vow(s) however so make sure you get them done by the deadline!

If unsure...
I could put whole list of other things here but most of that is common sense. However, if you have any questions concerning anything that might be unclear or not mentioned in the post above, please do not hesitate to ask by posting in this very thread or by sending me a PM!

The most important rule of all

Have fun! thumbsup.gif

For the Legion and Perturabo!

gallery_77459_12304_737.png VOW BADGES

Spoiler

[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/324831-the-iron-without-iron-warriors-painting-contest/][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_12304/gallery_77459_12304_45268.png][/url]

gallery_77459_12304_7182.png

[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/324831-the-iron-without-iron-warriors-painting-contest/][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_12304/gallery_77459_12304_7182.png][/url][/center]

WILL YOU ANSWER THE CALL OF PERTURABO?

gallery_45765_12309_241054.png

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngFAQs

Spoiler

gallery_77459_12304_737.png VOWS AND COMPLETIONS

IRON WITHOUT
MemberVow 1Vow 2Vow 3Vow 4Vow 5Vow 6Vow 7Total VowedTotal Completed
Beachymike1236626620
BolterTama335 C335335
Brightstar5505500
Brother Kortmer50 C5050
Captain Titus5155150
Celtic_cauldron450 C4328820
conscriptboris4554550
Dantioch1501500
Eldrick Shadowblade1251250
gaurdian31139 C139139
Insane Psychopath580 C145 C725725
Iron Skull Mask321 C2105310
Kierdale50 C5050
KrautScientist99 C9999
Larkyn4124120
lokkorex315 C175820730
Lord Commander Eidolon40400
Lord Thørn3823820
MindOfMetal3203200
Morovir50500
Nemac Vradon1051050
Ninjaman712 C712712
NovaScotius5455450
Scourged55 C5555
Teetengee50500
undeadsoldier1040 C121022500
Uveron210 C2754850
Wayniac137 C220 C357357

Out Of Competition
MemberVow 1Vow 2Vow 3Vow 4Vow 5Vow 6Vow 7Total VowedTotal Completed
Augustus b’Raass4104100
Insane Psychopath430 C1105400
Scared to death3103100
Teentengee1551550
The Psycho165 C165165
Warsmith Aznable3453450
Xin Ceithan00

Edited by Lord Thørn, 24 November 2016 - 11:20 AM.

• Iron-Daemon Forge, Iron Skull Mask and Soldier of Dorn like this
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

rules? timelines?

• Doctor Perils likes this

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,570 posts

H9dGZkN.jpg

devil.gif

• totgeboren, Kierdale, Augustus b'Raass and 2 others like this

tn_gallery_45765_15430_660.pnggallery_26154_15777_7710.pngtn_gallery_45765_15430_660.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Accept all challenges, no matter the odds.

Suffer not the Heretic to live.

Abhor the Typo.

Iron Skull Mask

Iron Skull Mask

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts

Sounds interesting and I sure got some models to finish, but what about number of vows, updates, start, deadline and so on? Will this be a competition between Iron Warrior and Imperial Fist painters/players on the board, or what do the men in black have to do with it?

BaS%20sig%2004-15.png-gallery_77459_12304_7182.png

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

rules? timelines?

Sounds interesting and I sure got some models to finish, but what about number of vows, updates, start, deadline and so on? Will this be a competition between Iron Warrior and Imperial Fist painters/players on the board, or what do the men in black have to do with it?

Glad you asked :D

gallery_45765_12309_241054.png

As Dosjetka and I are trying to put this up together as an Imperial Fists versus Iron Warriors contest, we're going to keep the same rules for both factions. I'm not too sure when he wants to post up his rules, but they'll be coming in the next few days (if not today)

What I can say is that it is both for 40k and Age of Darkness

sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,570 posts

Rules up this weekend. If you want an idea of what to expect, check out the older editions of the Imperial Fists Expansion. ;)

tn_gallery_45765_15430_660.pnggallery_26154_15777_7710.pngtn_gallery_45765_15430_660.png

Abhor the Typo.

jimbo13

jimbo13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,016 posts
  • Faction: VII Legion
The Phalanx (Imperial Fists Expansion) is ready to throw down on you fools.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

Our Earthshakers are waiting ;)

• jimbo13 likes this

Dantioch

Dantioch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 393 posts

I'm extremely tempted....

Heresy Iron Warriors & Ultramarines- http://www.bolterand...vth-legion-wip/

gallery 48988 10980 12646

Warsmith Uveron

Warsmith Uveron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,902 posts

Just when I thought I was free from painting! 

• Brother Aiwass and Doctor Perils like this

The Following are links to the collections of threads about my many collections  Uverons Black Crusade , Uverons Imperials, Uverons ORKS!!

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

I'm extremely tempted....

Just when I thought I was free from painting! 

It's the perfect time to give the Fists a beating they won't forget ;)

• Dantioch likes this

Beachymike123

Beachymike123

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,124 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors; Traitor Guard

I'm sure something similar was said just before the Iron Cage ;)
  • Brother Aiwass, Iron Skull Mask and Doctor Perils like this

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Rules up this weekend. If you want an idea of what to expect, check out the older editions of the Imperial Fists Expansion. msn-wink.gif

I always get a bit lost with all the competitions and events running on the B&C, so forgive me for asking, but where can I find the older editions?

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,570 posts

IFE I | IFE II | IFE III :)

• Apologist, Augustus b'Raass, Doctor Perils and 2 others like this

Abhor the Typo.

Kythnos

Kythnos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts
  • Faction: Stonebreakers

Well I was planning to build and paint some Rapiers in the coming months... might have to move them a bit forwards in the painting line devil.gif

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

Well I was planning to build and paint some Rapiers in the coming months... might have to move them a bit forwards in the painting line devil.gif

26c2f08c354a560bfa5b0fe3c7662457c4554c8c

• bluntblade likes this

Celtic_cauldron

Celtic_cauldron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 573 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

My Iron Warriors' XIIth Grand Company will hear the battle call and respond it with the appropriate amount of firepower.

Only a few units but still enough to teach a lesson or two to the Sons of the Praetorian...

Celtic_Cauldron

Kill for the living... Kill for the Dead... Ave Dominus Nox
terran10.png gallery_77459_12304_7182.pnggaller10.pngetl_2010.gifetl_2011.gifetl_2010.gif etl_2011.gif etl_me10.gifsoul_v10.png mzodai10.pnggilgam10.png

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,270 posts

Hmm, and I seem to be putting together a load of Iron Warriors together and this occurs - If i were a paranoid man I'd be thinking that someone was watching me...

ph34r.png     huh.png

gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

My Iron Warriors' XIIth Grand Company will hear the battle call and respond it with the appropriate amount of firepower.

Only a few units but still enough to teach a lesson or two to the Sons of the Praetorian...

Celtic_Cauldron

Indeed, they shall rue the day they thought they could stand up to the might of the IVth devil.gif

Hmm, and I seem to be putting together a load of Iron Warriors together and this occurs - If i were a paranoid man I'd be thinking that someone was watching me...

ph34r.png     huh.png

Of course, if you're playing Iron Warriors, you should be paranoid msn-wink.gif

Edited by Lord Thørn, 17 August 2016 - 03:44 PM.

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,492 posts

"Warsmiths of the IV Legion."

So the broad-spectrum transmission begins, addressing the many lords and commanders of the legion of Perturabo. Across the gathering fleet of Iron, in command chambers and personal sanctums, the hololithic image of one of their most hated foes speaks these words. The Imperial Fist is clad in simple armor, but minor things attest to his rank: the cross upon his shoulder, the markings of Shield-Commandant on his breast, the mere fact he addresses them now.

"Warsmiths of the IV Legion. I know your bitterness at us, I saw it in the furnace of this war we are embroiled in. I do not understand it, but I know it - your hatred, your thirst for vengeance, your bitterness. It is a hatred that has festered for too long, and I wonder, where did it originate? In the Great Crusade, or even earlier - perhaps even since Roma? Whatever the case might be, you have hated us, and that hatred has killed too many of my men and brothers to simply let it slide. I am not a man given in to sanguine humors, so believe me when I say this is not a quest for vengeance, it is not an act made in wrath. No. It is an act of retribution, one of justice. As at Phall, we shall stand once more against your heresy and your perversion, but we shall finish the blow this time. Your Legion will fall, your fortifications put to the torch. Your walls will fall because I, a son of Dorn, stand against them. This is the duty I have undertaken, my oath of moment. One thing you should remember, my cousins, and that my brothers and I will show you in the coming war: Iron corrodes."

+++

All in good nature of course msn-wink.gif For Dorn and the Emperor!

Edited by The Psycho, 17 August 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• Chaplain Dosjetka and Brother Callius like this

gallery_48988_15465_712.pnggallery_78067_11287_41024.pnggallery_78067_11287_2164.pnggallery_78067_11287_16564.png

For the light of Sol, and the earth of Terra, we stand. For the oaths we made, we stand. For the blood in our veins, we stand.
For the stones laid by our ancestors, we stand. For the days that have passed and the days that shall come, we stand.
For the living and the honour of the dead, we stand.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,666 posts

Iron corrodes.

Brave words for warriors who use a dead man's name as their warcry...

:P

• Beachymike123 likes this

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,421 posts
Hmm. Some IW Vindis were next in my paint list after my BA ETL work. I might wait for this.

Or not. Kind of Burnt out after ETL. I don't need more deadlines.

Edited by Xenith, 17 August 2016 - 07:46 PM.

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,492 posts

Iron corrodes.

Brave words for warriors who use a dead man's name as their warcry...

tongue.png

Dead? Dude, I play 30k. He ain't dead.

...yet.

:P

gallery_48988_15465_712.pnggallery_78067_11287_41024.pnggallery_78067_11287_2164.pnggallery_78067_11287_16564.png

For the light of Sol, and the earth of Terra, we stand. For the oaths we made, we stand. For the blood in our veins, we stand.
For the stones laid by our ancestors, we stand. For the days that have passed and the days that shall come, we stand.
For the living and the honour of the dead, we stand.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,570 posts

And won't be for a while, from a 30k perspective!

• Soldier of Dorn likes this

Abhor the Typo.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,421 posts
That's OK, he can give you a hand.
  • Brother Aiwass, Beachymike123, totgeboren and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iron Without, Iron Warriors, IVth Legion, Challenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users