+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Well, then let's get to it smile.png My first step on the way of atonement for my trainwreck ETL performance will be the following:

I, Iron Skull Mask, vow on the honour of the 53rd Grand Company of the Iron Warriors legion to fully paint

1 Unit of 8 Chaos Terminators (321):

• 5x Combi-Weapon and Energy Axe
  • 1x Heavy Flamer and Chainfist,
  • 1x Combi-Weapon and Power Fist
  • Champion with Combi-Weapon and Lightning Claw

from Codex: Chaos Space Marines by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

Start picture:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/th_20160820_235115.jpg

So, to work with the words of everyones (and their mothers) favorite dwarf:

"There are brave men outside, knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"

• 1 Maulerfiend
  • 1 Maulerfiend
  • 5 Possessed w/Icon of Vengeance, Veterans of the Long war & Rhino Transport w/Extra Armour
  • 1 Vindicator w/Daemonic Possessed, Siege Shield, Combi Bolter
  • 1 Dreadclaw
  • 1 Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought w/Extra Armour & Twin Linked heavy bolter
  • 1 Warpsmith, Veteran of the Long War, Mark of Khorne.

Ah, we might not have been clear enough: Each vow is maximum 4 units, and you can make 7 vows.

Well, I won't go overboard, but I think I'll vow

1 x Rhino! 

Always wanted to try my hand at IW

http://i63.tinypic.com/i6mhw0.jpg

Nothing too flashy, just 40pts worth of rhinoy goodness, with a pintle mounted weapon.

If i can get a front plate, I'll pledge the predator next time.....

When we're talking about IW warbands, how should one go about identifying the models as IW? Keep IW pad? Add hazard stripes? I was thinking about squad of IW blackshields, just curious if that is out or can be done with enough care...

Let's go for it...

I, Celtic_Cauldron, vow on the honour of the XIIth Grand Company of the Iron Warrior Legion to fully paint:

10 Chaos Legionaries with 1 plasma gun, 1 missile launcher and Veterans of the Long War. The Aspiring Champion is also equipped with a  power axe.

Total cost: 195 points.

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/17/96/43/35/uwain10.jpg

Iron Within! Iron Without!

Celtic_Cauldron

I have a newbie question to these kinds of competition: Do all the vows have to be put forth at first, or only the 1st vow and then later vows can be made? Also since the rules state "units" do vehicles and the like (e.g. Helbrute) not count? Sorry have never participated in something like this before.

For the glory of the IVth, the 52nd Grand Battalion stands with their brothers in putting the wretched VII in their rightful place.

I, Ninjaman, vow on the honour of the IVth Legion Astartes, to fully paint at least: 

• 1x Xiphon Interceptor (205)
  • 1x Legion Tactical Squad: 15 Legionaries, Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Sgt w/ Combi Weapon. (215)
  • 1x Medusa Artillery Tank (155)
  • 1x Primus Medicae in Cataphractii armor, w/ Combi-Weapon. (137)

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/0612537f-eb12-449a-82c4-129658826ae5_zpsu61dx6zt.jpg

From the Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions book, by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I also vow to bring honour to the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I'm afraid I've already drained my vow-writing ability for the night, but I'll put in an out of competition vow tomorrow, so I can actually live up to the Traitor of Traitors title in my sig. I already know what I want to do for the challenge, though, so that's definitely something...

In related news, my vow fluff for the Fists involves Iron Warriors. You guys might wanna read it since it gives some idea of how this event is going to go. I'll just copy it over here... devil.giftongue.png

BLOODIED BUT UNBOWED

med_gallery_78067_12186_46658.jpg

Terra: The Trenches, during the Siege

Trooper Aaran ran through the trenches, boltgun clenched in his fist, golden yellow armor splattered with mud. Ducking as an explosion sounded somewhere nearby, throwing up many tons of earth, he took cover next to a wall as the bombardment continued. A chain of detonations sounded as close by a munitions depot was hit. Scrambling, Aaran hurried through the trenches, searching for surviving 284-BTN troops. Before he could, he was found by the enemy. A unit of Seekers, gunmetal armor marked by the chevrons of their Legion, came upon him, armed with vicious-looking combi-plasmas. Circling around him like a pack of hyenas, they laughed as they conversed in the guttural Olympian crypto-cant dialect adopted by members of the IV, discussing what to do with their newfound prey. Aaran didn't understand the words, but he understood their meaning well enough: he was going to die. Fitting, he supposed. He was born here, on hallowed Terra, recruited by the VII Legion to crusade among the stars, and though he had expected to die out there, it was grimly appropriate that he would die here, in the place of his birth, alongside the rest of his unit. His bones would join those of the first Imperial Fists, interred within the foundations of the Imperium's first fortresses and citadels.

As the Iron Warriors closed in on him, vicious combat blades drawn so to draw out his death painfully and hatefully, Trooper Aaran closed his eyes and subtly moved his hand to the pin of a grenade at his belt. He was a son of Dorn to the end, and he would end his days with the stubbornness and stoicism so noted among his line. He would not bend so low as to let them see his agony. He would deny them this final victory. Because of this, he did not notice the blue glow coalescing behind the IV Legion soldiers. The Iron Warriors were too blinded by their hatred of the VII Legionnaire to let anything distract them from their kill.

As Aaran awaited his end, he heard the heavy thump of an Illiastus-pattern assault cannon and Olympian voices screaming out orders in response. A heavy whine filled the air: that of a multi-melta cycling up to charge, and then a low explosion. Aaran's armor was hit by shards of bone and silvered power armor, flesh and gore making a softer sound as impacted against his wargear and the ground around. Opening his eyes, he watched as a group of Fists in massive Cataphractii armor tore through the Seekers, chainfists rending flesh and flamer weapons burning everything, all the while a towering Contemptor-pattern Dreadnought supported them, whirring siege drill pulverizing as the enemy was atomized by its multi-melta. He stood frozen: this must be what mortals spoke of when they talked of transhuman dread: he'd seen Terminators before, both in parade form and in battle, but never up close. The Wallbreaker Elite of the Storm Battalion were only deployed to particular sections of the battlefield, where the situation was dire enough to warrant their attention, and Aaran had only ever seen them from a distance. Here, up close, the Terminators fought with a fearful viciousness and brutality unrivaled by any other save perhaps for the most zealous of the Legion: the Templar Brethren of the First Captain, Warden Rahn's command, and perhaps a few others.

It was over in seconds: the Iron Warriors lay dead, slain to a man. Chainfists whirring down, the Terminators strode towards Aaran, the Contemptor standing watch over them all, a sentinel protecting his charges. Many of them wore no helmet, including the leader apparent. Though he wore no markings noting him as a sergeant, the way he signaled the men of the unit to fan out and patrol left little doubt that he acted in that capacity. When he spoke, he spoke with a voice low even for one of the Legiones Astartes.

Identification.

Though there were few tonal identifiers to indicate it, there was little doubt that this was not a question, but an order.

"Trooper Aaran, LA-7299317, 3 Tactical, Company A 284 Storm Battalion. Captain Huss' command."

And where is your unit, soldier?

"Dead or lost, sir. The Fourth fell upon us, and those few of us who survived the initial ambush were scattered. The Iron Warriors sent out hunting parties, like the ones here, so I have no doubt that they took out many of us. The Warriors may not always be the most efficient in war, but they are always effective in their task. I am certain many of my section died as a result. Thus, as far as I know, I am the last of 3 Tactical."

I see. That is... unfortunate.

Turning away, the Terminator addressed his squad.

Moran, Fischbach, double check the bodies. We can't afford to let our enemy to come back and bite us in the back. Rawles, you take point. We're moving out. The venerable Justici can cover us.

"Sir?"

Aaran had never questioned a superior officer before. There was a first time for everything.

Trooper.

"Where are you going, sergeant?"

Firstly, never call me Sergeant. I am Wallbreaker Lysander, and I am squad second of Wallbreaker-1. Sergeant Marvex is required... elsewhere. As for where we are going, we are going to do what every man of the battalion is trained to do. We are going to go perform our duty. In this case, this means acting as the living bastion of the 284th, rallying the surviving troops in this sector. That is why you will be coming with us. We're the reinforcements, soldier. We're the reinforcements.

As the nine Terminator armored figures strode over the muddy battlefield, accompanied by the monolithic form of the Contemptor amidst the smoke and flame, Aaran followed them. A single Marine of the Line, armored in battered Mk IV Maximus plate, lonely among these godly masters of War, armed with nothing but a bolter. He shouldn't have mattered, not by himself, he was alone, the last survivor of his squad, a single Angel of Death.

But every army starts with a single soldier.

+++

I, The Psycho, Shield-Commandant of the 284th, Soldier of the VII Legion, vow by the name of my Primarch Dorn to fully paint a nine-man Legion Terminator Squad with combi-weapons, chainfists, teleport transponders, and an assault cannon; and a Contemptor Dreadnought with chainfist, heavy flamer, and multi-melta worth 666 points from the Legion Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bear the burden of this duty to my Legion, and reinforce their ranks against our enemies the Iron Warriors. I will not fail.

Late breaking edit: I meant to throw this in before, but I forgot. There's a big reference to someone you all know in here. A bunch of meaningless internet points to whoever gets it. Good luck! :tu:

2. VOWS

Every participant on either side must make at least one (1) and up to a maximum of seven (7) vows. Each of these vows must have at least one (1) and up to four (4) Codex-legal units. There is no limit on points.

To be accepted, the vow must be posted either in this thread (for the Sons of Perturabo) or the Imperial Fists Expansion IV thread (for the Sons of Dorn) using the following format (minor variations accepted):

Sorry Thorn for the mistake there.  I miss read it & I'll edit my post.  So for time been it will be 2x Maulerfiend, 5 Possessed w/Rhino & Warpsmith

I have a newbie question to these kinds of competition: Do all the vows have to be put forth at first, or only the 1st vow and then later vows can be made? Also since the rules state "units" do vehicles and the like (e.g. Helbrute) not count? Sorry have never participated in something like this before.

You have to make one vow (maximum four legal units from the publications mentioned, or else a single infantry model as a colour test - worth 50 points). When you have completed that vow, you can make your second (maximum 4 legal units, no colour testing any more). Once that one is completed... and so on. You can make a maximum of seven vows over the next four months.

Could I do some Iron Warriors themed BLoodletters as an ooc vow? I have been itching to do them in black and yellow with some chain weapons to start working on a daemonkin force that doesn't use red or brass.

That sounds like an awesome idea! Yes, you can of course make these as an out of competition vow :)

During the next few minutes I'll be updating the participant's list. Awesome work already guys :tu:

@Brightstar, Lord Commander Eidolon and Insane Psychopath, could you let me know when you have the amount of points vowed?

When we're talking about IW warbands, how should one go about identifying the models as IW? Keep IW pad? Add hazard stripes? I was thinking about squad of IW blackshields, just curious if that is out or can be done with enough care...

Sorry I hadn't seen your Question Irbis.

Stuff to do with the Skull Mask or Hazard Stripes would both work - if done right, even some amount of gunmetal or silver could work: if you have an idea in mind, post it up, and we can see :)

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngTHE IRON WITHOUT

Are you are true Son of Perturabo who has models to paint but no motivation? Are your Basilisks only waiting for a coat of silver and stripes to pummel the Fist’s walls to dust and rubble? If this sounds like you, welcome to the first edition of the Iron Without, a painting contest for the Iron Warriors and the IVth Legion!

Crap, I can't join, because I actually am motivated to paint Iron Warriors. tongue.png I'll see if I can make a cool vow here. Still deciding on which team to choose....

I, Brightstar, vow on the honour of the Iron IVth to fully paint at least 10 Tyrant Siege Terminators (w/one Chainfist) from Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

Hidden Content

The two models at the front have only had their first rough, and incredibly lazy, coat of Leadbelcher, no more.

5a5188c4f1555296a8c7bf421c718880.jpg

Alright I have to know this: those are third party Cyclone Missile Launchers, right? Where'd you get them? Linky please!!!

I've no business with the IV-th legion, but I'm always up for giving some loyalists a beating. I'll vow a single aspiring champion, worth 50 points, and will post my vow properly when I built him and have a before picture to share.

As I have posted in the IF thread, I am 'on the wall' as to which side to join.

Is this strictly by the C:CSM for Iron Warriors only then?

If Heresy-era, can they be a 'black shield' warband that uses different heraldry (or none at all)?

Just curious...

What happens if you make a) Dantioch's company, or a Loyalist Blackshield force? The perversity of that option really tickles the Malalite in me.

Okay for my first vow

I, Wayniac, vow on the honor of the Iron Warriors to paint a Chaos Lord in Terminator armor armed with a Chainfist and a Lightning Claw from Codex: Chaos Space Marines 

Presenting Gorgos Kull, sometimes called Gorgos the Stonecleaver, Warsmith of the 26th Grand Company of the Iron Warriors.  This will be my first vow model after which hopefully will come painting the rest of my small warband :D

http://i.imgur.com/DiRVMyMl.jpg

Let us show the curs of Dorn who the real siegemasters are.  IRON WITHIN.  IRON WITHOUT.  IRON WITHIN.  IRON WITHOUT.

Cool to see some new recruits smile.png

As I have posted in the IF thread, I am 'on the wall' as to which side to join.

Is this strictly by the C:CSM for Iron Warriors only then?
If Heresy-era, can they be a 'black shield' warband that uses different heraldry (or none at all)?

Just curious...

What happens if you make a) Dantioch's company, or a Loyalist Blackshield force? The perversity of that option really tickles the Malalite in me.

You can still vow them as Horus Heresy forces, and do your best to kick yellow butt ;)

EDIT: Having trouble with tables X)

Doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong with it, looks like a styling issue.  I used barebones table BBCode to test and it's still having that giant gap between the header portion and the rest, and not including a name for the table looks like it causes a rendering issue.

Ah ha figured it out.  You can't put line breaks in it, apparently.  When the forum parses it, it adds a line break for each additional line in the code messes it up.  It has to be something like:

[table="Test"][tr][th]One[/th][th]Two[/th][th]Three[/th][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]

on a single line and then it looks like:

Test
One Two Three

I, Teetengee, vow on the honour of Iron-Warriors-offshoot-to-be-determined to fully paint at least 1 unit of Bloodletters from Codex Khorne Daemonkin with a total points value of [points] by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.
Pictures will come when they are more than just a thought in the back of my mind.

Actual vow here.

I, Kierdale, vow to fully paint at least a single Chaos Space Marine from Codex: Chaos Space Marines by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

med_gallery_63428_7083_161066.jpeg

Kierdale, buddy: unfortunately a single CSM is not a legal unit and therefore not a legal entry... sad.png

I, Augustus b'Raass, hereby make an out-of-competition vow to fully paint one Domitar-Ferrum Class Battle-Automate Maniple, consisting of two 'Iron Circle' models, for a total of 410 points, before Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture (below / notice that one is already built and sprayed with Leadbelcher spray - which is ok, right?) and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpshai0mlie.jpg

Sorry guys. I'd love to support team IV over team VII. Unfortunately I still need to buy most Iron Warriors stuff and have a pretty big back-log of Imperial Fists models. Given that my girlfriend left me last month and my monthly expenses have thus gone up considerably, I need to watch my money. So it's with a heavy heart and a somewhat empty wallet that I have decided to go WITHOUT IRON and back the enemy!!! I'll rest assured that I have herewith contributed to an even sweeter taste of victory for the IVth in three months time. :tu:

Archived