+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Will 'Teabagging' be allowed for Veteran of the Iron Cage??

Hum... doesn't seem very "family-friendly" to me... As regards to board policies, I think I have to draw the line at any sort of sexual act.

Well, I'm finished... ish...

So, I don't know if having finished bases or not counts towards vow completion here, but I'd imagine having a base at all does. And thus we find me in my current status. Sure, I have him painted up all nice, ready to go... but a thorough searching of my hobby drawers let me know that I don't have any 40mm bases laying around. Curses. So yeah, my new buddy here will just relax for the time being until I place an order for some plastic discs and finish him proper. And when that day comes, I'll be sure to provide all manner of pictures to show him off, rather than this simple static pose. This is just to whet the appetites, after all.

http://i.imgur.com/3MyaTbKm.jpg?1

Cool badge ideas, but are we really not allowed to pledge 'bots besides the iron circle?

I can understand no Thanatars, Domitars, etc.- but why not castellax/thallax/vorax? A Praevian is required to have a robot maniple as part of the unit, and the castellax/thallax are legal list entries besides. Plus, there are numerous fluff pieces stating that some maniples were regarded as more a part of the legion they were attached to than anything else.

(And no, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I have castellax on the way from FW...rolleyes.gif)

Thanks for posting up your pictures and points Lord Commander Eidolon thumbsup.gif

We're right at the cusp of 5000 points vowed guys! Plus, Wayniac has already made a completion! However, the Imperial Fists have a very good margin of points ahead of us, so let's get our act together msn-wink.gif (All of us, but especially me: I've still got to vow tongue.png However, when I do, I suspect there'll be a good amount of models and points)

Don't forget about the trophies!!! Any slightly loyalist-looking bit can come in handy, and 10% points-wise is nothing to be frowned upon smile.png We'll be allowing you to add the trophy declaration to your points whenever during the completion of your current vow (ie, you can declare a trophied unit from the moment you pledge the vow to the moment you declare the vow complete, but you can't come back to add the bits on afterwards).

Also, don't forget about the Chaos vehicle and Terminator upgrade kits, which often have helmets mounted on spikes - a simple lick of yellow paint, or black with a little cross, or dark blue with a red fist, and you're good to go smile.png Any excess shoulderpads without octeds are also perfect for trying out a bit of freehand msn-wink.gif - just remember, at least 50% (rounded-up) of the models in a unit must have an obvious trophy for the unit to be elligible for the 10% - That makes Independent Characters and Vehicles ideal msn-wink.gif

(oh, and completing a trophied unit will make you elligible for a special achievement badge - extra bling for the signature god!)

Battle report n°1:

The two squads are about to be completed. Just have the basings to finish and the Iron Skull to add to my shoulder pads.

Vow 2 should be made of two Vindicators (so competing for the Lyssatara badge ^^) at least with maybe one more squads of 10 Legionaries.

Pictures for vow 1 should be posted by Friday. Pictures for vow 2 will be posted in October.

Iron Within! Iron Without!

Celtic_Cauldron

I am almost done with my twenty marines, Spartan and flyer. Unfortunately my cyclones haven't arrived so I haven't been able to work on the tyrant siege termies. But everything else is looking great! I really love painting silver. Anyone have advice for the small caution stripes? They seem like a pain but I'd like to add them here and there.

I am almost done with my twenty marines, Spartan and flyer. Unfortunately my cyclones haven't arrived so I haven't been able to work on the tyrant siege termies. But everything else is looking great! I really love painting silver. Anyone have advice for the small caution stripes? They seem like a pain but I'd like to add them here and there.

If you want thin ones, then just paint in one stroke with a steady hand and it will be good. It might be easiest to paint the whole thing yellow first, then paint black over the top, as black covers better (surprise surprise :P). Keep the Averland sunset handy though, in case you slip a bit.

How many points is your vow worth?

I need to count it up sorry about that. Everything is just going to be basic.

well, with the amount you've got there, it s still going to be a packet of points :) and every last man is important in the competition :-)

Ok so here are my points and some WIP.

+++ Iron warriors 750 (1040pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (1040pts) ++

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Combi-Weapon, Power Armour]

Xiphon Interceptor (205pts)

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (305pts) [shrapnel Bolts]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (295pts) [4x Tyrant Terminator]

····Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [iV: Iron Warriors, Traitor]

blogger-image-2091618356.jpg

blogger-image--1426205897.jpg

blogger-image--516748659.jpg

Oh. Are we already painting? I was impatiently awaiting the 3rd of September? smile.png

Ah, yeah, sorry Kortmer, I kept forgetting to update the OP (that's done now) - it was decided that both sides were getting too impatient, so we changed the start date. The other dates aren't changed :)

So, I don't know if having finished bases or not counts towards vow completion here, but I'd imagine having a base at all does. And thus we find me in my current status. Sure, I have him painted up all nice, ready to go... but a thorough searching of my hobby drawers let me know that I don't have any 40mm bases laying around. Curses. So yeah, my new buddy here will just relax for the time being until I place an order for some plastic discs and finish him proper. And when that day comes, I'll be sure to provide all manner of pictures to show him off, rather than this simple static pose. This is just to whet the appetites, after all.

First of all, I wanted to say that's a very handsome son of Perturabo, Scourged ;) The hazard stripes look nice and neat, and the orange claws provide a good contrast against the steel armour, a contrast that is often needed when it comes to the IVth Legion.

I've been thinking about the base problem, and I think it would be fair to do this in the same way as the ETL - if you think that the basing of the model is part and parcel of the model, then you should strive to complete it. However, if you don't think the basing is that important, you don't need to do the basing.

As simply gluing a black plastic disk under this terminator's feet isn't actually going to add anything to the model, I'd be inclined to allow you to simply declare him complete like this - as long as you don't consider the basing important!

Oh. Are we already painting? I was impatiently awaiting the 3rd of September? smile.png

Ah, yeah, sorry Kortmer, I kept forgetting to update the OP (that's done now) - it was decided that both sides were getting too impatient, so we changed the start date. The other dates aren't changed smile.png

No worries, that's fantastic news!

Anyone have any ideas on trophies for tanks? Having trouble coming up with ideas for the Spartan.

You could always tie a corpse to it? I know it seems more Night Lord-y, but the Iron Warriors can be just as cruel when it comes to the Sons of Dorn... Or, crueller still, "corpses" chained behind the spartan, going for a scrape round the car park...

Otherwise simple Spikes and helmets? Broken Templar or Breacher Shields?

First of all, I wanted to say that's a very handsome son of Perturabo, Scourged msn-wink.gif The hazard stripes look nice and neat, and the orange claws provide a good contrast against the steel armour, a contrast that is often needed when it comes to the IVth Legion.

I've been thinking about the base problem, and I think it would be fair to do this in the same way as the ETL - if you think that the basing of the model is part and parcel of the model, then you should strive to complete it. However, if you don't think the basing is that important, you don't need to do the basing.

As simply gluing a black plastic disk under this terminator's feet isn't actually going to add anything to the model, I'd be inclined to allow you to simply declare him complete like this - as long as you don't consider the basing important!

Heh, thanks. The ETL method for basing seems like the best way to go about it. But for me? No, trust me, this fella isn't done yet. I don't have a single finished model that is resting on simple black plastic, and I'm not about to start. msn-wink.gif

The base adds just as much character as the rest of the paint job. And it adds to any kind of narrative theme you have going for your army. Besides, trophies! Once the bases and a pot of Stirland Mud shows up in the mail, I'll be digging out a spare marine helmet and and Rhino door and seeing what fun I can't add to our new buddy here. First thoughts are to trim the door a bit so it rests at an angle, and have it propped up a bit from resting on top of a discarded yellow helm, all sinking into the mud. We'll see what I can pull off.

Anyone have any ideas on trophies for tanks? Having trouble coming up with ideas for the Spartan.

How about this: get some cheap jewelry chain and create various lengths of it. Then all along the collection of chains superglue a host of helps and shoulder pads and such, some spare bolters and bolt pistols and combat knives, thinks like that. Some lasguns would work too, and I know the Guard sprues have at least one empty helmet on them, so those could fit in as well.  It has the spirit of trophies without delving too deep into all manner of corpses and such.

Well done on the completion Celtic_cauldron thumbsup.gif

And happy to hear that you're going to carry on with the base Scourged smile.png

EDIT: It turns out we have a whole extra fortnight to order stuff from FW with free shipping :)

Archived