+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Thanks.

I did actually plan to make him simply a line IW but I realised that I had converted his backpack to have the vents facing forwards (as those of my Psychopomps noise marines do) when I used the mini for colour scheme practicing. I noticed this when I'd almost finished painting him, so decided to go with it, and added a bit of the Slaanesh icon to the IW emblem, and did the right shoulder as a corruption of chevrons.

I've noticed that Xin Ceithan and Warsmith Aznable have yet to post the points values for their vows, and Insane Psychopath hasn't given us the points for the (awesome) Daemon Prince conversion - as they are out of competition vows it is less important, but it's always good to have a better idea - especially if you consider this a warm up to next years ETL or similar event msn-wink.gif Plus, having a point value is a nice way of keeping track of your progress tongue.png

Sorry, didn't think I needed points for an OOC entry.

Predator tank with twin-linked lascannons and lascannon sponsons - 140 points

Predator tank with twin-linked lascannons - 100 points

Predator tank with autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons, and a combi-bolter - 110 points

Total - 345 points

I used an online army builder (and some guesswork for the combi-bolter) to figure that up, so it might not be right. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And done! Vow 1 complete.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/20161025_200052.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/20161025_195753.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/th_20161025_195505.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/20161025_195320.jpg

But I must admit that it was really strenuous as there seemed no end in sight for this paintjob. So many small parts that needed multiple colors. I have nightmares of small parts slipping through my numb fingers... anyways, I'm almost happy with the way they look. Maybe the skull-parts need another touch of white, but I doubt that I can muster the drive to touch these guys with a brush again anytime soon. Other models also want to be painted.

On a sidenote: I succeeded in magnetizing the FW combi-weapons with magnetic tape, but the magnetic force is not very stong. Still, I got a lot of options to field these guys now, and you can bet I will - soon.

So, now the only thing left to do is to claim the trophy bonus for these guys, because... well look at them racks, and don't overlook that dirty yellow helmet... *cough*

-----------------------------------

On to vow 2 I'd say. It's gonna be a fire raptor and after that probably a storm eagle will follow. smile.png I always wanted these models, and now, after surviving some turbulent times at work, I finally got crazy enough to buy them. I'll make a proper vow with pictures and all after I cleaned all the parts.

Sorry, didn't think I needed points for an OOC entry.

Predator tank with twin-linked lascannons and lascannon sponsons - 140 points

Predator tank  with twin-linked lascannons - 100 points

Predator tank with autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons, and a combi-bolter - 110 points

Total - 345 points

I used an online army builder (and some guesswork for the combi-bolter) to figure that up, so it might not be right. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, I'll be adding them to the file :)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/th_20161025_195505.jpg

But I must admit that it was really strenuous as there seemed no end in sight for this paintjob. So many small parts that needed multiple colors. I have nightmares of small parts slipping through my numb fingers... anyways, I'm almost happy with the way they look. Maybe the skull-parts need another touch of white, but I doubt that I can muster the drive to touch these guys with a brush again anytime soon. Other models also want to be painted.

On a sidenote: I succeeded in magnetizing the FW combi-weapons with magnetic tape, but the magnetic force is not very stong. Still, I got a lot of options to field these guys now, and you can bet I will - soon.

So, now the only thing left to do is to claim the trophy bonus for these guys, because... well look at them racks, and don't overlook that dirty yellow helmet... *cough*

Wow, they are really awesome!!! Never thought of using those Night Lord skull helmets for, well, anything other then Night Lords, but they add some amount of chaosiness that works well :)

Unfortunately, as the trophies don't all represent Imperial Fist bits, I can't give you the bonus just now. To quote the initial rules:

It goes without saying that these trophies must represent the opposing team (in our case, Imperial Fists) and must immediately recognisable as such – Successor chapters are allowed, but have to be recognisable as an Imperial Fists successor (eg. Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Executionners etc.)

Therefore, you need to have three more Imperial Fist (or successor) bits in the squad for it to count (to get 4/8 models). As there has been some amount of misunderstanding, I'll allow you to add the necessary bits now, before you redeclare a completion

Oh man.

I just got my hands on a cheap BaC set and was thinking about starting a 30k Iron Warriors army when I noticed this thread. If I understand the rules correctly, it's too late to place a vow for the competition - but I can still place an out-of-competition vow, right?

So, on to vow number 2.

I, Iron Skull Mask, vow on the honour of 53rd Grand Company of the Iron Warriors, to fully paint one Fire Raptor Gun Ship with Reaper Autocannon Batteries from IA 13 with a total points value of 210 points until Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

Here's the before picture:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/th_20161027_213816.jpg

Now these are the parts fresh after cutting and cleaning them. By now I have started to build some parts of the model prior to painting.

Spoiler warning: the follwing contains a rant on the problems of building resin kits. Proceed with caution.

I have already started building the kit and I have to say it has been a frustrating experience so far. I have yet seen no resin kit that wouldn't have been better off being made out of plastic. Seriously, resin is so bad! I know, I know, hot water bath, green stuff, right (I did some research and found I'm not the first guy with these issues). But you simply can't bend a warped finger thick resin piece into shape no matter the time and temperature, especially when some other part of the same piece is extremely thin and will break or dissolve if heated or pressured to much. So what I did with the hull pieces was using a lot of really good glue and brute force (when carefully pressing the parts together) and after half an hour the thing held together. So, to put it in a positive light, you not only buy a model when you buy a raptor, but also an adventure that will test your resilience, will and cleverness and will offer you an opportunity to not only improve your modelling skills, but also a chance for you to seriously improve your anger management. thumbsup.gif

//Aside: I noticed my vow 1 has not been updated as complete yet on the first page. I really don't wish to continue adding paint or trophies to the terminators. So you can absolutely count it as complete, Lord Thorn.

My second vow is complete just need to take some pics!

Looking forward to them :)

Oh man.

I just got my hands on a cheap BaC set and was thinking about starting a 30k Iron Warriors army when I noticed this thread. If I understand the rules correctly, it's too late to place a vow for the competition - but I can still place an out-of-competition vow, right?

Welcome to the Iron Without! Indeed, you can still make out of competition vows, and you would be eligible for the achievement badges too :)

So, on to vow number 2.

I, Iron Skull Mask, vow on the honour of 53rd Grand Company of the Iron Warriors, to fully paint one Fire Raptor Gun Ship with Reaper Autocannon Batteries from IA 13 with a total points value of 210 points until Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

//Aside: I noticed my vow 1 has not been updated as complete yet on the first page. I really don't wish to continue adding paint or trophies to the terminators. So you can absolutely count it as complete, Lord Thorn.

Awesome. Sorry to hear about your resin troubles, but glad you got through.

For the previous vow I just haven't updated yet ^_^

Oh man.

Welcome to the Iron Without! Indeed, you can still make out of competition vows, and you would be eligible for the achievement badges too smile.png

Thanks! Awesome.

In that case I, Scared to Death, vow on the honour of my young child and various assorted household objects (okay, so I haven't figured out which grand company I'm running yet...) to fully paint two 10 man legion tactical squads by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

So there it is. I'll start a thread on The Forge when I get around to assembling the squads.

Awesome :)

Would you also be able to provide the points values for the vow, even if it is ooc? It gives a good insight into what resources we could bring to the table for events like the etl and such :)

Sure. So two of these:

Tactical squads I and II: 9 Legion Tactical Marines, 1 Legion Tactical Sergeant with Power Fist, Artificier Armour and Meltabombs.

155*2 = 310 points.

Still unsure whether to go with 3 tactical veteran squads or 2 tactical squads and a tactical support, heavy support or seeker squad, so I'm getting the bolter marines taken care of first.

Well, the IC part of the vow will still be counted as finished so you will still give those points to the entire effort. However, if you don't complete the OOC vow, you won't be able to claim any of the achievement badges that vow would have given you - as your OOC includes bloodletters, completing it will grant you the "Iron Corrupted" badge (awarded for completing a unit with the Daemon rule) for instance.

Well, the IC part of the vow will still be counted as finished so you will still give those points to the entire effort. However, if you don't complete the OOC vow, you won't be able to claim any of the achievement badges that vow would have given you - as your OOC includes bloodletters, completing it will grant you the "Iron Corrupted" badge (awarded for completing a unit with the Daemon rule) for instance.

OK cool. Hopefully I will have time to finish them up.

Update on vow 2.

The raptor is basically done, but you may notice some unused space on the base... which will be filled with some trophy goodness as soon as my order arrives biggrin.png Man, I hope the poor lad will be recognizable as anything at all after I'm done drilling holes in him.

I have to say, as much as it's been a pain to build, it's been great fun to paint the raptor, and looking at it now, I'm more than happy. I know I'm not the best painter, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out. smile.png

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/20161030_195333.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/th_20161030_195550.jpg

Wow, that was fast! She's a good looking bird ;)

I you're afraid of going too far with the holes, how about doing most of the battle damage in paint? It's still easier to give an extra lick of paint then green stuff a hole

Guys, I've been side tracked painting pink: such is the fickle way of the III Legion.....

However, I have picked up some fun looking rust effects to try out, and we all know there is no such thing as rust on the Emperor's Children, however my Iron Warriors.....

I'm hoping this will give me the push to finish it, my chipping didn't look as good as I wanted so, I hit a wall with the tank, hopefully I'll get motivated now....

On to vow 2 I'd say. It's gonna be a fire raptor and after that probably a storm eagle will follow. :) I always wanted these models, and now, after surviving some turbulent times at work, I finally got crazy enough to buy them. I'll make a proper vow with pictures and all after I cleaned all the parts.

Awesome stuff man, well worth the effort; really makes me want to do some Iron Warriors!!!

Wow, that was fast! She's a good looking bird msn-wink.gif

I you're afraid of going too far with the holes, how about doing most of the battle damage in paint? It's still easier to give an extra lick of paint then green stuff a hole

Thanks! Yeah. I was surprised too, but two days of straight-up painting did the trick. I mean, the boltgun was sprayed and while I waited for the big parts to dry, I painted, the base, the pilot, gunners and ball turrets. Afterwards it was paint one thing while others dry. And since there where not that many small pieces needing attention again and again it went down rather fast. It was definitely much less work than the Termis.

Guys, I've been side tracked painting pink: such is the fickle way of the III Legion.....

However, I have picked up some fun looking rust effects to try out, and we all know there is no such thing as rust on the Emperor's Children, however my Iron Warriors.....

I'm hoping this will give me the push to finish it, my chipping didn't look as good as I wanted so, I hit a wall with the tank, hopefully I'll get motivated now....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/XXX/20161025_195753.jpg

Really love the use of the heads on these guy, exceptional stuff. Worth every bit of the pain and effort you put into them

Thanks so much! :) The helmet of the champ is from the space marine commander kit, the rest is from the night lord terror squad from FW. I thought they fitted with the skulls and grim trophy thing of the chaos terminators. Also there's the character of Gogol in Siege of Castellax who is a feared flayer and trophy hunter (probably mixed gene seed IW/NL). While the novel is not really that great story-wise, it's full of cool ideas for modelling. I also picked up some pieces to build SoC style raptors which will get done for some challenge eventually.   

Archived