+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

gallery_77459_12304_296618.jpg

Berdax fired his volkite charger into the yellow throng - dissolving one of the Marines into a pile of ash - as he retreated past the descending portcullis.Two more of the Fists were crushed beneath the three-ton block of Adamantium-reinforced steel, but that would not slow the Vindicators, advancing from behind the enemy lines.

The Warsmith tasted bitterness,a bitterness that was not entirely due to the fog of fyceline and burnt flesh: the Fourth Legion had fought well today, fought heroically even, despite all the jeers of "Traitor" and "Heretic" that arose from the ranks of the sons of Dorn; yet that would matter not to Berdax's father, the Lord of Iron. No, Perturabo would simply look at the day's tallies, and, should he deem it necessary, punishment would ensue - and punishment always ensued.

He reflected on the glorious days of the Great Crusade, when the Legions fought as true Legions, and regretted the fragmentation of the Iron Warriors: each one of them could be worth ten of the Fists and their successors, and still the numbers would be stacked against the diverse Warbands - and of course, the Fists were worthy foes.

Berdax dismissed the sharp tongues that snackered 'Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows' in his ear, and dreamed of the battles to come - already, he had heard burbles of a new Black Crusade, and felt satisfaction in knowing that he would soon have a chance to redeem himself. He punched the activation rune of the teleportation homer of his Cataphracti plate, and - as the disgustingly familiar tugging and tearing sensation began in his stomach - he stared in defiance at the bore of the Demolisher cannons pointed at the fort's gatehouse. 'I'll be back,' he thought, 'just you wait...'

Dear brothers, this fight is over. We have fought long and hard, and have created new models that would be the pride of any warsmith of the legion. Take a moment to pat yourselves on the back for a job well done - you should be proud of yourselves: I know I'm proud of all of you :P This evening I'll post an update, and hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to look over each and every vow to make sure that all the points are correctly counted - then, I'll post a final update, along with the achievement badges for each participant that has earned them.

With the fact that I haven't completely tallied up the points in mind, I think it is still fair to assume that the Imperial Fists have beaten us - this time ;). With a higher number of participants and a higher number of revows, this may well have been to be expected - this being their fourth "Expansion", coupled with an earlier announcement date, may also have helped :P The heroes of this event, however, are each and every participant on both sides. Paint has flowed in the name of the paint god, and awesomeness has resulted, both in this thread and in our counterparts'. If you haven't yet had a look at the Imperial Fists' Expansion IV, now's the time; leave some Likes while you're there ;).

Thank you all, for your participation, for your esprit de camaraderie; for your help and your banter. I think you have made this event a success, even if this side of the friendly competition was more modest then our rivals'. I would especially like to thank our friendly neighborhood Dosjetka, as well as Captain Semper, who both inspired this contest. Hopefully, with your blessing, we'll be able to get something like this again together next year and start a new tradition :)

Unfortunately I had it in my head that the deadline was the 4th, not the 3rd. Sorry guys.

c72075bac3b14cbb9531111a88543baf.png

Irrelevant at this point, but my Tyrants are 85-90% as of tonight. Just combi-bolter details, missiles + lenses and base clean-up to go,

Army shot of my vows:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd366/lokkorex/image_zpsocpmuchl.jpeg

Up next:

the cataphractii has been a real pleasure too paint, so i'm gonna increase these two units to ten, and add two more ten-man units with combi-plasma guns and choom, respectively.

Then i'll see about adding another ironclad/siege dreadnought talon, plus a couple of tartaros terminator squads, since the new scarab occult terminators scream "Convert us!" to me!

Hopefully i'll have gathered all that until next Loyalty & Treachery, or the next Iron Without.

When have you ever known me to keep to a deadline tongue.png

IRON WITHOUT
Member Vow 1 Vow 2 Vow 3 Vow 4 Vow 5 Vow 6 Vow 7 Total Vowed Total Completed
Beachymike123 662 C [/td] 662 662
BolterTama 335 C 335 335
Brightstar 550 550 0
Brother Kortmer 50 C 50 50
Captain Titus 515 515 0
Celtic_cauldron 450 C 432 882 0
conscriptboris 455 455 0
Dantioch 150 150 0
Eldrick Shadowblade 125 C 125 125
gaurdian31 139 C 139 139
Insane Psychopath 580 C 145 C 725 725
Iron Skull Mask 321 C 231 C 552 552
Kierdale 50 C 50 50
KrautScientist 99 C 99 99
Larkyn 412 412 0
lokkorex 315 C 1758 C 2073 2073
Lord Commander Eidolon 40 40 0
Lord Thørn 411 C 411 411
MindOfMetal 320 320 0
Morovir 50 C 50 50
Nemac Vradon 105 105 0
Ninjaman 712 C 712 712
NovaScotius 545 545 0
Scourged 55 C 55 55
Teetengee 50 C 50 50
undeadsoldier 1040 C 1210 2250 0
Uveron 210 C 275 C 485 485
Wayniac 137 C 220 C 357 357
Out Of Competition
Member Vow 1 Vow 2 Vow 3 Vow 4 Vow 5 Vow 6 Vow 7 Total Vowed Total Completed
Augustus b’Raass 410 410 0
Insane Psychopath 430 C 110 540 0
Scared to death 310 310 0
Teentengee 155 155 0
The Psycho 165 C 165 165
Warsmith Aznable 345 345 0
Xin Ceithan 60 C 60 60
warboss aidna0510 160 160 0

Over the course of this event, 13 154 points of Iron Warriors were vowed by 28 members (thus vow values averaging at 469.8 points), 8420 of which were completed. Unfortunately, some revowers were unable to complete their subsequent vows, so after penalties, 6930 points are valid, bringing the total completion rate to 52,68% - this is an admirable score, and I applaud you all, even if you were in the end unable to finish on time.

On the Out Of Competition side of things, 8 members made 9 vows. However, only three of these were completed (if I haven't missed any completion posts which is perfectly possible) It isn't a problem, but I wonder what may be the cause? Could it be down to people not being motivated enough, biting off a bit more then they could chew (many of the OOC vowers having made primary IC vows in the IFE4), or real life hitting them?

I have yet to go through all the posts again, so numbers may be susceptible to change slightly.

In any case, Perturabo may be uncaring, but today, his sons have earned the right to be proud of themselves :) Thank you for your participation, and I hope to see more of your stuff here on the B&C in the future :)

Now, if you have the time, I'd like to ask you if you have any feedback on this event, since it's the first time I've done this. Feel free to answer any or all of the following questions, and to add your own remarks:

• On the general running of the event.
  • Would you like to participate in something similar next year?
  • What you would change to make it smoother running?
  • Since Dosjetka has told me he likes to change things up a bit for the IFE, the IFE and the IRON WITHOUT will likely go their own ways next year. Would you like any further IRON WITHOUT contests be led independently, or against a particular sub-forum of the Bolter&Chainsword (or even from other boards on the interwebz, to get some Iron vs. Xenos rivalry?)
  • What would you think about a specific theme for another contest? Would you add new thematic bonuses (in the way we had IF trophies this year)?
  • Would you like to see certain restrictions on the allowed armies lifted - ie, Daemons were not allowed In Competition this year, should this change for a new edition? I saw quite a few chapter variants on the IF side this year, quite a few of which were DIYs, yet we had comparatively little colour scheme variations here - what criteria would you put down for allowing splinter warbands with different colour schemes? Simply say they should follow a warsmith, be of Iron Warrior geneseed - in which case what would happen to cultists and Daemon Engines?
  • What do you think of the idea of the achievement badges - would you add any? change the way it works? etc.
  • How would you feel about a weekly update system, were each member would ideally add some WIP shots each week, and if a vow has multiple units everyone could see their progress in the form of a progression bar (for example)?
  • Would you stick to a system of vows of a certain number of units, or allow units to be added freely to a general vow?
  • How would you feel about asking for a bit of fluff about the warband the vowed units will be joining - could this equate to a points bonus, or an achievement? Same questions with colour schemes (complete with iconography and heraldry explanations as can be found in the HH books), "paint splatter" articles (with a quick explanation of how you apply a colour scheme to a model), tutorial articles for Iron Warrior specific modelling and painting aspects, etc.

If you do answer any of these questions, thanks again :)

Iron Within!

The event was ace! Really fun, even though many frater I'd expected to paint with us painted for the IF. You did an awesome job in running the event, Lord Thorn. I, personally, would definitely be back for more next year, but it would be nice to find a time-slot where no other challenge is taking place with the chaos subforum involved. So, one question remains: how about them victory badges? :)

• Would you like to participate in something similar next year?
  • What you would change to make it smoother running?

If you do answer any of these questions, thanks again smile.png

Iron Within!

I had a great time with the competition, sadly, I found my paintbrushes straying into the realm of the XVth, (as if i'd been psychically compelled...curious). I should hope I'd pass my Deny roll next time so I can stay focused.

That said, maybe a bit more clarity on what you could/couldn't vow. I did want to vow a few castellax and vorax, but never got a clear answer on if they were valid or not, and by the time I saw they were I had already moved on from them. Plus, big stompy robots are such an IW thing. It'd be a shame not to allow them.

Otherwise, thanks for holding such a cool event, and remember, brothers of the IVth- We fight the long war. The battle may be lost, but we shall prevail. Ferrum Honore Veniat

Good to hear you enjoyed the event :) also, thanks for the speedy feedback

I, personally, would definitely be back for more next year, but it would be nice to find a time-slot where no other challenge is taking place with the chaos subforum involved. So, one question remains: how about them victory badges? :)

I also think that we'd have to find a better timeslot, neither at the same time as the call of chaos, nor at the time of the ETL... that's already six months of the year gone though...

I have yet to make the victory/defeat badges, I think I'll have to discuss their general presentation with Dosjetka, but he seems to have a lot on his plate right now.

That said, maybe a bit more clarity on what you could/couldn't vow. I did want to vow a few castellax and vorax, but never got a clear answer on if they were valid or not, and by the time I saw they were I had already moved on from them. Plus, big stompy robots are such an IW thing. It'd be a shame not to allow them.

Good points. I thought I had answered in the end but the message obviously didn't get through correctly, which indicates not only that there should be a more evident list of what is legal and what isn't, but also that there could be a better presentation of the rules and of the FAQ section.

And as you say, us iron warriors like us some stompy robots.

I vote for fluff as achievement. The other questions I will have to think more on.

I would love to open up the competition to any unit that either is of Iron Warriors geneseed or identifies as/follows an Iron Warrior.

I tend to agree with you on the question of the fluff as an achievement: it gives an incentive to write a bit, but doesn't make the contest a primarily fluff based one either.

For the question of the legal units, I feel that you run the risk of losing the flavour of Iron Warriors - after all, according to this definition of your legal units, an army of word bearers and cultists that follow a single Iron Warrior who bested their Dark apostle in single combat would be allowed, but in my view it still isn't truly an iron warrior warband. Of course, this is why I asked for feedback, so that we can discuss these issues :)

With the new legion rules out, it should be possible now to differentiate legionaries from others: how about a rule where at least one unit per vow must have either the Legiones Astartes (iron warriors) rule or Veteran of the long war qualifying for IW warband (as per traitor legions supplement)? Or that 25-50% of your combined vow points must come from such units? Then any unit from horus heresy or from codices csm, cd, kdk, ig, mechanicum, knights etc. May be accepted as long as they display marks of allegiance to the appropriate IW grand battalion, grand company or warband? So In the case of your own vows, the chaos marine is obviously an iron warrior as per the *traitor legions* supplement, and your bloodleters display marks of allegiance to the legion in the form of their bionics - as such, your vow is legal. (Just brainstorming here :) )

It was a good event. The timing could have been a bit better spaced after the ETL but that's something to IRON out (made a funny I think- sorry I'm tired, been a very long day). Also I agree that acvepting more monions for the IV Legion would be better and encourage more participants.

But a very good event this year I feel, even if it did happen during me moving places :D . I look forward to the next one where we can show the fools of Dorn how to slam down a painting contest.

Many thanks to all, some great work by all participants as well I feel that is inspiring.

Iron Within, Iron Without.

It was a great event. A shame I wasn't able to complete vow 2 (damn you IRl!). Anyway would be more than happy to see it happen again next year (and have a chance to clean this s.... on my warriors'honour).

Sorry again guys. Great job done here and many wonderful minis both in 30K and 40K.

Celtic_Cauldron

Archived