+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Count me in, need to keep my mojo flowing post ETL, and I loved painting Iron Warriors, so quick and easy. Running a bit low on units to vow, might be able to stretch to picking up a squad of Terminators to go with the 20 ish CSM's I still have in my bits box.

Ok, I made a short list including all the Iron Warrior units that may join the fight:

- 10 Legionaries;

- 2 Vindicators;

- 1 Ferrum Infernus Dreadnought;

- 1 Contemptor Dreadnought.

Depending on when the event will start, I may add 10 more Legionaries, 5 Terminators, a Land Raider and a Chaos Lord.

Iron Within, Iron Without!!

Celtic_Cauldron

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngTHE IRON WITHOUT

Are you are true Son of Perturabo who has models to paint but no motivation? Are your Basilisks only waiting for a coat of silver and stripes to pummel the Fist’s walls to dust and rubble? If this sounds like you, welcome to the first edition of the Iron Without, a painting contest for the Iron Warriors and the IVth Legion!

Proposed merely a week ago but already gathering many dedicated painters, the Iron Without is set to be a fun and exciting event.
Not only will we be motivating each other to paint ever more sons of the Iron Lord, with ever greater skill and technique, but for this first edition, we shall be competing against the Legion that has ever attempted to rival us, the Imperial Fists. Through our strength and determination, our dogged stubbornness in the face of adversity, we shall show them the folly of their arrogance!

Once more unto the breach, scions of Perturabo, once more;

Or close the wall up with our Iron dead.

IRON WITHIN!!!

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngOUTLINE

The Iron Without is an event open to all Sons of Perturabo, whether in the disant past of M30/M31 or in the dark future of the 41st Millennium, with the aim of getting your unpainted models out of boxes and onto the painting table!

You will have four months to paint as many models/points as possible. Since we are competing against the Imperial Fists, the aim shall be to paint more points than they have in the same time frame.

While you will only be able to vow Codex-legal units, there will be one small exception (that we will cover later on) for people who just want to paint a one-off model to test out a colour scheme, join in the fun without committing to paint too much, or both!

Reward-wise, there shall be two types: personal rewards shall be in the shape of signature banners for each and every person who completes their vow(s) in the given time; and if we beat the Imperial side (which we will msn-wink.gif), we shall proudly display our Iron Banners as the winning team.

As this new event is largely based on the Imperial Fists Expansion events, you might want to check out last year's event to get a feel of what it shall be like (ie. heaps of fun).

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngRULES

The rules for this event are simple:

1. TEAMS
You pick a side between the Imperial Fists and their successors or the Iron Warriors and their splinter groups. If you are reading this, the choice is already made. Welcome to the winning team, fellow Warsmith.

2. VOWS
Every participant on either side must make at least one (1) and up to a maximum of seven (7) vows. Each of these vows must have at least one (1) and up to four (4) Codex-legal units. There is no limit on points.
To be accepted, the vow must be posted either in this thread (for the Sons of Perturabo) or the Imperial Fists Expansion IV thread (for the Sons of Dorn) using the following format (minor variations accepted):

I, [insert name here], vow on the honour of [insert Chapter/Legion name here] to fully paint at least [unit name, wargear, and quantity] from [source (ie. book, dataslate, etc)] by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

It is crucial to note the following things:
  • If you fail to complete one vow, then all previous vows are considered void and do not count towards the final points total;
  • You must start work on your vow after having submitted it. Miniatures that are entered into the challenge must be unpainted, undercoated, or in the very early stages of painting. If you are unsure whether or not your models qualify for entry, please ask.
  • A vow must be completed before another is made. Also, once submitted, a vow cannot be modified in any shape or form so think before you pledge!
3. VICTORY
Once the event is over and the dust has settled, a number of things shall happen.

Firstly, for all of those who have successfully completed all of their vows, there shall be a signature banner celebrating their personal success and the upkeep of their promise. Wear it with pride as you continue your activities on the Bolter & Chainsword!

Secondly, Dosjetka and I shall have the wonderful task of going through all of the vows and do the tally of successful vows to determine which of the two teams is the winner. The winning team will receive a special signature badge to celebrate victory over their rivals.

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngDEADLINES

FIRST VOW START DATE: Saturday 20th August 2016
PAINTING START DATE: Saturday 3rd September 2016
FIRST VOW DEADLINE: Saturday 17th September 2016, at 18:00 GMT
PAINTING END DATE: Saturday 3rd December 2016, at 18:00 GMT

All deadlines shall be strictly observed. Make sure you give yourself enough time to post your vows and then complete them to avoid any disappointment! There shall be no exceptions!

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngLEGAL UNITS

Each vow must be made up of at least one unit from the latest Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Armour Vol 13 - War Machines of the Lost and the Damned, the Black Legion supplement, or the relevant Forge World Horus Heresy books and dataslates. These can be mixed and matched but their source must be clear. If you have any doubts, please ask.

As the rumours indicate that a new Chaos Codex and/or supplement is just around the corner, vows made after the book’s release date can use new units, and must use the updated points. This will not affect previous vows.

There is one exception to this rule for the people who just want to join in for a bit of fun without painting masses of models:

You can vow a single, infantry-sized model (in power armour and variants or Terminator armour) of your choice as your first vow. No other units can be pledged in this first vow and you can only make such a vow once during the whole event. Whatever the wargear choice, model in game terms, etc. this entry will always have a fixed value of 50 points. This is to give people the opportunity to model and paint a one-off model of their choice while also allowing them to contribute to the overall effort.

IMPORTANT:
It goes without saying that all models must represent a member of the Iron Warriors Legion or one of its splinter warbands.

It also goes without saying that all vowed models must respect WYSIWYG as much as possible.

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngTROPHIES

Since we are doing this event in tandem with the Imperial Fists B&C community, Dosjetka and I have decided to introduce the concept of trophies. Trophies are a way to add detail to your models while also giving you a small points bonus for the overall points score. The given bonus will be a +10% point increase (rounding down) for the trophy'd unit when we do the totals at the end of the event. To be eligible, at least 50% of the unit's models need to have a trophy. For example, in the case of a Dreadnought unit made up of one Dreadnought, you only need to add a single element to the Dreadnought's base (a split helmet) for it to be considered trophy'd. However in a five-man Tactical Squad, three of the five models need to have a trophy for the unit to be considered trophy'd. In the case of a ten-man Squad, at least five models must have a trophy.

A trophy can be one of the following (non-exhaustive list):
  • The helmet of a fallen warrior;
  • A banner that has been cast down;
  • The burning remains of armour/a vehicle;
  • Etc
It goes without saying that these trophies must represent the opposing team (in our case, Imperial Fists) and must immediately recognisable as such – Successor chapters are allowed, but have to be recognisable as an Imperial Fists successor (eg. Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Executionners etc.)

gallery_77459_12304_737.pngIMPORTANT STUFF

I could put whole list of things here but most of that is common sense. However, if you have any questions concerning anything that might be unclear or not mentioned in the post above, please do not hesitate to ask by posting in this very thread or by sending me a PM!

Out-of-competiton vows

There could be cases that what people want to build/paint cannot be reconciled with the rules posted above. For example, some might want to do crazy conversions or scratch builds; others might want to paint miniatures from other gaming systems, such as Epic, BFG, etc; some might miss the deadline for joining in; or some want to paint models which aren't included within the allowed Codecies and books. It’s also a possibility that some cases people might want to paint miniatures from the rival team (HERESY! furious.gif).

With that in mind, out-of-competition vows are allowed and can be added to the Rules & Vow thread (this one) but shall not be counted towards the team totals at the end of the event! You are expected to finish your vow(s) however so make sure you get them done by the deadline!

If unsure...
I could put whole list of other things here but most of that is common sense. However, if you have any questions concerning anything that might be unclear or not mentioned in the post above, please do not hesitate to ask by posting in this very thread or by sending me a PM!

The most important rule of all

Have fun! thumbsup.gif

For the Legion and Perturabo!

That would be an out-of-competition vow, ISM. smile.png

Booo..!!! Just want to check, if I make 7 vows I'm ok to also add on few Renegade Knight as out of competiton?

Right now I got my two Renegade that been waiting get painted. Got unit of 5x Possessed w/Rhino, 2 Maulerfiend, Warpsmith & Dreadclaw to get painted. I'll also sort out a Vindicator as this is somthing that also going be my Call of Chaos vow when it start.

Also am I ok to use a Iron Circle model as a Chaos Contemptor w/Extra Armour (shield) & twin linked heavy bolter?

You can make as many out-of-competiton vows as you'd like to, IP! :)

Regarding the Iron Circle model, I'll let Lord Thørn decide. This is his side of the event after all. ;)

My apologies if I'm missing the plainly obvious, but is this only open to models that are unpainted/undercoated or can you also put forward things that are a little further on but still unfinished?

I have five Cataphractii Terminators with the iron of their armour more or less finished but nothing more than that. Would they be admissible?

You can make as many out-of-competiton vows as you'd like to, IP! smile.png

Regarding the Iron Circle model, I'll let Lord Thørn decide. This is his side of the event after all. msn-wink.gif

That great, thanks.

​I'll make my vows as soon as you said with Lord Thorn decide. But pretty much right now the Dreadclaw, Vindicator, Possessed w/Rhino, Warpsmith & Maulerfiend x2. Then out of competiton the Knights.

Right, I'm back :)

First off, regarding Knights: the idea is really to represent the Iron Warriors themselves (and the heads of their foes ;) ), and in current fluff Knights are explicitly part of neither chapter or legion. On the Chaos side, things are a bit more mirky, but out of fairness for the loyalists, it has been decided that Knights should remain out of it. Sorry guys, but we can still make do ;)

Booo..!!! Just want to check, if I make 7 vows I'm ok to also add on few Renegade Knight as out of competiton?

Right now I got my two Renegade that been waiting get painted. Got unit of 5x Possessed w/Rhino, 2 Maulerfiend, Warpsmith & Dreadclaw to get painted. I'll also sort out a Vindicator as this is somthing that also going be my Call of Chaos vow when it start.

Also am I ok to use a Iron Circle model as a Chaos Contemptor w/Extra Armour (shield) & twin linked heavy bolter?

In this event the Iron Warriors are allowed to draw either from codex or horus heresy, so I'd be inclined to say that the Iron Circle are to be pointed as the Iron Circle WYSIWYG. If you haven't got the Horus Heresy rulebooks, I think that representing it as a Chaos Contemptor with Extra Armour and a Twin Linked Heavy Bolter :)

My apologies if I'm missing the plainly obvious, but is this only open to models that are unpainted/undercoated or can you also put forward things that are a little further on but still unfinished?

I have five Cataphractii Terminators with the iron of their armour more or less finished but nothing more than that. Would they be admissible?

Can you post a picture ? If the Iron is more then base-coated (ie, with washes, extra highlights etc.) then they wouldn't be qualified for an in-competition vow: in that case, out-of-competition vows are allowed :)

Right, I'm back smile.png

First off, regarding Knights: the idea is really to represent the Iron Warriors themselves (and the heads of their foes msn-wink.gif ), and in current fluff Knights are explicitly part of neither chapter or legion. On the Chaos side, things are a bit more mirky, but out of fairness for the loyalists, it has been decided that Knights should remain out of it. Sorry guys, but we can still make do msn-wink.gif

In this event the Iron Warriors are allowed to draw either from codex or horus heresy, so I'd be inclined to say that the Iron Circle are to be pointed as the Iron Circle WYSIWYG. If you haven't got the Horus Heresy rulebooks, I think that representing it as a Chaos Contemptor with Extra Armour and a Twin Linked Heavy Bolter smile.png

Can you post a picture ? If the Iron is more then base-coated (ie, with washes, extra highlights etc.) then they wouldn't be qualified for an in-competition vow: in that case, out-of-competition vows are allowed smile.png

Thanks. Sadily I don't have the Heresy book or know which one has the rules. If your ok I'll go with the Contemptor?

I, Insane Psychopath, vow on the honour of the Iron Warriors 5th Grand Company to fully paint at least

• 1 Maulerfiend - 125pts
  • 1 Maulerfiend - 125pts
  • 5 Possessed w/Icon of Vengeance, Veterans of the Long war & Rhino Transport w/Extra Armour - 205pts
  • 1 Warpsmith, Veteran of the Long War, Mark of Khorne - 125pts

Total: 580pts

Then out of competition

• 1 Renegade Knight w/2x Gatling Cannons, Stormspear Missile Launcher
  • 1 Chaos Knight Paladin** w/Mark of Khorne, Dire Caster - 430pts

**If this is not allowed? Then Renegade Knight w/Battle Cannon.

Total:

From

• Codex Chaos Space Marines
  • Renegade dataslate
  • Armour 13: Lost & the Damned

By Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

Just let me know if this is ok?

Then some before photos of the Maulerfiend's, Rhino, Dreadclaw & one Possessed

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00372_zpszdjnshct.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00375_zpsi7b6aira.jpg

There Rhino transport I built a few hour ago. Just need to get the armour plated added.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00393_zpsvxpwqibf.jpg

Maulerfiend - This one is inspired by Vlâdvar The Destroyer, Maulerfiend conversion he'd done for his own Iron Warriors. It just look cool & though be a nice way to tell diffrent between the two I'm taken with me to Nottingham.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00437_zpsbbiswtcy.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00438_zpsvfshbu1z.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00439_zps8qzjnlsy.jpg

My other Maulerfiend. I can see when Chaos get updated that Maulerfiend will be a squad. So this one will be join the first Maulerfiend I added to my Iron Warriors four years ago.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00440_zpskgjzp2ff.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00441_zps6d6qjv88.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00077_zps3vuxmyxw.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00547_zpsvzscfdiz.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00548_zpslloxj9yk.jpg

My two Knights

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00451_zpsjozbkcny.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/2016/DSC00455_zpsghnmnmqq.jpg

Since we're getting started:

I, Brightstar, vow on the honour of the Iron IVth to fully paint at least 10 Tyrant Siege Terminators (w/one Chainfist) from Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

The two models at the front have only had their first rough, and incredibly lazy, coat of Leadbelcher, no more.

5a5188c4f1555296a8c7bf421c718880.jpg

Archived