First/Third Party alternatives for Deathwatch Frag Cannons?

appiah4

Yeah the ammo on the backpack design is a matter of taste. Even GW does not use it all the time, at least for heavy bolters. I like both. I just can't decide whether the box magazines fit better with tacticals or devastators.

Just ordered a pile of Widowmaker S.A.W.s; I'll let you guys know how they work out. Gotta say, for what I spent I got a heck of a deal compared to trying to buy the frag cannons from bit stores! happy.png

BIG UPDATE: Just got this in the e-mail from a cool dude at Anvil Industry!

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Heavy-Weapons/frag-launcher-grenade-cannon-heavy-weapon

Looks like they were paying attention to the big C:DW release! Note that this includes two ammo boxes and an optional flash suppressor/barrel extension, too!

Joel and his team are awesome, they really go all out on customer service. They have a big thread on Dakka where he comes and talks to the community about potential new ideas.

Joel and his team are awesome, they really go all out on customer service. They have a big thread on Dakka where he comes and talks to the community about potential new ideas.

My first interaction with them, and I have to say I'm impressed. He went out of his way to contact me and let me know he had a more suitable product in the wings. I haven't seen the bits yet but I'm very happy with their level of customer interaction. Assuming that the bits they deliver measure up, I'll definitely be ordering from them again and advertising when I use their product! smile.png

Yeah, something similar happened to me. Quite some time ago I asked him whether they planned to make Inferno Pistols and he answered that they don't have a schedule yet, but they will get to them eventually. when I later ordered a couple of things including some of the revolvers (which I planned to convert into Inferno Pistols), he emailed me saying something a long the lines of "Hey, you asked about melta pistols earlier, we will be releasing them next week. Do you want us to hold your order an include some?" I answered that this was a really good idea and that I would like them to remove the revolvers and add some inferno pistols instead. I ended up getting both. When I contacted him about the extra bits he just said keep them. thumbsup.gif

@sockwithaticket: Could you post a link to that thread on Dakka, please?

My first interaction with them, and I have to say I'm impressed. He went out of his way to contact me and let me know he had a more suitable product in the wings. I haven't seen the bits yet but I'm very happy with their level of customer interaction. Assuming that the bits they deliver measure up, I'll definitely be ordering from them again and advertising when I use their product! smile.png

I'll vouch for the quality, I use smaller bits like ammo clips and sights all over the place, but I've got some of their guns, Afterlife models and recent Regiments range too, all of them top notch casting.

@sockwithaticket: Could you post a link to that thread on Dakka, please?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/3930/401241.page

Wow that AI frag cannon!!!

I actually prefer it to the official one. I think the two stabiliser things on the barrel are much better than four, pluse those ammo hoppers!

Morning everyone,

Thanks for the extensive discussion about the new Frag Launcher, I'm glad its been well recieved!

I've expanding the set this morning prior to printing it.

As suggested here, the right arm is now a separate component to make conversions easier, and I've also added a third "rotating belt" ammo style and a backpack component which can have any of the three mags attached to it.

I also added an option scope/rangefinder and spare foregrip for any rambo style one handed conversions.. :)

This coloured render shows all the separate parts.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/AnvilIndustry/FragLauncherPreview2_zpsduibdknh.jpg

Update looks great! I hope you don't mind, but I have a few more suggestions:

- I would ditch the backpack part (looks odd - why is the ammo drum feeding the backpack exactly?).

- I would switch the "used" rounds to one side rather than having odd missing rounds (as this makes it look more like spent rounds rather than missing rounds).

-The foregrip looks a bit odd... I think the ribbed part of the grip looks like it would interfere with the shape of the armoured glove fingers. Could it be changed a bit so that it's either more moulded, or that the grip is less thick (maybe increase the number of ribs too)?

- If the ammo hopper parts are separate from the ammo belt, you could double up the number in a kit and add some lid parts so that Marines can carry the unopened spare of whichever drum a player models. I think this would be too hard to do neatly with the rotating belt though.

- Maybe add a second optional muzzle design without the slotted sides?

Suggestions always welcome - thought I have put the parts on to print now so I wont be changing anything for this version of the weapon.

The backpack is just optional, fits on the sprue so I thought I may as well. I see it more that the shells are attached (not feeding in) ready to be removed and fed into the weapon, though mainly, it looks like that so it works withe the same mag parts at the gun.

The idea with the belt is that its fully circular and can be rotated through the weapon without firing rounds, allowing the user to select between multiple different types of ammo (impossible with a more traditional box mag). Would it work in real life I dont know.. but its sci-fi so..  :D

I think the foregrip will look less odd when its 3mm tall instead of blown up really big on a screen, but I can smooth them down a bit no problem in post print clean up.

Extra mags would add too much to the sprue size (affects the price) but I do see what you mean. I imagine people sticking one mag in the gun and using the other (perhaps representing a different type of grenade) as the spare mag, reasonably easy to cut shells off and add a plasticard lid if desired.

Cheers

Joel

Morning everyone,

Thanks for the extensive discussion about the new Frag Launcher, I'm glad its been well recieved!

As suggested here, the right arm is now a separate component to make conversions easier, and I've also added a third "rotating belt" ammo style and a backpack component which can have any of the three mags attached to it.

I also added an option scope/rangefinder and spare foregrip for any rambo style one handed conversions.. smile.png

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/AnvilIndustry/FragLauncherPreview2_zpsduibdknh.jpg

Awesome update! I'm glad to see the backpack found its way in for consistency's sake, and the ability to swap ammo boxes between the gun itself and the backpack provides huge conversion potential. Re-casting the left arm as a separate piece is also a great idea, and I'm already thinking of some cool "scanning" or "resting" poses to mix things up for my models! Can't wait to start building with these new bits! cool.png

Morning everyone,

I also added an option scope/rangefinder and spare foregrip for any rambo style one handed conversions.. :)

Can't wait to get these.. Anvil ill post up some painted pics on B&C once I get them

• 2 weeks later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/pompeyladbfp/Deathwatch/temporary_zps4doitltu.jpg

look quite good, used all 3 types to show different FWs versions or the marine tinkering with it

The two on the right are terrific, but the one on the left would probably blend in with the GW design best.  Overall, it's a fantastic work by Anvil for sure.

look quite good, used all 3 types to show different FWs versions or the marine tinkering with it

Super jelly you got yours already! As an ungrateful colonial I'm having to wait an extra week sad.png

Super jelly you got yours already! As an ungrateful colonial I'm having to wait an extra week sad.png

If only your ancestors had treated tea with the respect it's due...

Gotta say the Anvil ones do look good. Most aesthetically pleasing config of all the bits seems to be with a box/drum mag, but without the barrel attachment.

Pompeylad - did you try the Anvil back packs and think 'Nah'?

I'm actually really digging the loose ammo belts. I may go for those as my perspective on Deathwatch is as dirty, hard-bitten Veterans and there's something about stripped-down wargear/firearms that just screams "been there, done that" to me. biggrin.png

I was thinking for the loose ammo belts you could chop them up a bit and have them dangling from belts, seems a pretty laisez faire way to keep spare ammo in a way that vets very comfortable in their competence might. Plus drum mags always look boss.

If only your ancestors had treated tea with the respect it's due...

Gotta say the Anvil ones do look good. Most aesthetically pleasing config of all the bits seems to be with a box/drum mag, but without the barrel attachment.

Pompeylad - did you try the Anvil back packs and think 'Nah'?

just dont suit the rest of the models in my army, if they where a copy of marine ones with exhausts i would have used them, you could maybe attach to the back of a normal backpack... but not for me

Just a quick follow-up, got my Frag Launchers from Anvil Industry over the long holiday weekend and wanted to post my thoughts.

Quality: Excellent pieces overall, with minimal flash and no mold lines I could find. Sprues were super clean and the resin/plastic used was easy to work with.

Detail: Plenty to go around, especially in the ammunition belts and ammo boxes. Individual rounds are well-sculpted and each frag launcher has a blocky, utilitarian appearance that suits conversion work well.

Value: Insanely high, in my book. At just over 3 bucks apiece, these weapons look very nice and blend well into the 40k aesthetic. There's a few minor differences, but nothing that screams "Broken WYSIWYG!" and I feel that the pieces fit well with the GW bits.

Overall: Very satisfied, and I'll be looking at ways to use the additional ammo boxes (objective markers, mayhaps?) in the future. 10/10 for Anvil Industry on this one! biggrin.png

Note: Pics to follow, please stand by. happy.png

Just a quick follow-up, got my Frag Launchers from Anvil Industry over the long holiday weekend and wanted to post my thoughts.

Quality: Excellent pieces overall, with minimal flash and no mold lines I could find. Sprues were super clean and the resin/plastic used was easy to work with.

Detail: Plenty to go around, especially in the ammunition belts and ammo boxes. Individual rounds are well-sculpted and each frag launcher has a blocky, utilitarian appearance that suits conversion work well.

Value: Insanely high, in my book. At just over 3 bucks apiece, these weapons look very nice and blend well into the 40k aesthetic. There's a few minor differences, but nothing that screams "Broken WYSIWYG!" and I feel that the pieces fit well with the GW bits.

Overall: Very satisfied, and I'll be looking at ways to use the additional ammo boxes (objective markers, mayhaps?) in the future. 10/10 for Anvil Industry on this one! biggrin.png

Note: Pics to follow, please stand by. happy.png

good arent they, and fits perfectly well with the legit model (just made in a different forgeworld like FWs weapon sets ie ryza/mars pattern)

good arent they, and fits perfectly well with the legit model (just made in a different forgeworld like FWs weapon sets ie ryza/mars pattern)

I think I'll designate them Triplex Phall pattern in recognition of my AdMech army's Forgeworld. smile.png

Archived