Deathwatch plog [update 1750 pts army]- Vash -

Vash

Haha, Magnetising... I am way to lazy for that. I just buy a new model with the alternativ setup :)

But I do understand the problem with the brush hitting parts it should not... I am no master myself in avoiding that. But usually there are only one or two misstakes and its easy to cover up, specially with black armour. 

Wow Vash, you nailed that model. I was going to ask about the flamer nozzle, and then you mentioned you used Duncan's tutorial.

It's funny you mention that because I was all set to use 'old school' airbrushed windows for my Corvus and then I saw how he did 'heat distortion' on the cock pit of his Corvus and I immediately said, 'Nope... I'm ditching the traditional cockpit and going for that metallic heat distorted look'.

The entire mini is very sharp. You did Artemis justice. thumbsup.gif

Thanks. working "hard" on these models. 
I am one of those who refuse to play with my army unpainted. And I really want to get these bad boys up and running asap. 

Duncans videos are really good. Beginners and veterans alike can take some useful advice from there. 

I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of people can get something from Duncan's videos, and I too dislike playing with unpainted models but in this case the list creation has been so insane for me I broke down and realized immense play testing was necessary for me.

I can't believe the level of quality you can get in there with such limited time. I'm blown away.

Funny part is, I am not able to paint as fast as I used to. Work prevents me from gaining access to my models when I am away on work. 

But then again... when I am off I am off several days... 

Anyhow thanks :D

More will come. Next up is my Dominatus Kill Team. 

1 Librarian

2 Vanguards, power weapon, pair of lightning claws

7 Veterans, Frag cannon x2, meltagun + boltgun x2, boltgun + shotgun x2, sergeant with flamer and storm shield. 

Though the extra boltgun shenanigan is up for debate. I have not modelled my models with two weapons. The meltagun+boltgun combo is simple "unlimited combi-melta". Boltgun + shotgun... well stock veterans will have this as a standard if allowed in my army. 

Wow. That's a nice job.

The scenic bases look pretty good. I'm still on the fence, but they do look nice under your kill team.

Thanks

Yah the scenic bases I am not 100% sold on yet either. But the more I experiment with the bases and add different colours and various technical paints, they tend to grow on me. 

Saw one here on the forum who did hazard stripes on one of the bases. I'll for sure use that my self. 

Vash models are stunning. 

I agree about the bases something about them is just blah, compared to some of the third party bases. 

Hello guys, thanks. 

Been busy working. But now I have some days off (but some other events planned), and I intend to finish the second unit now. My Dominatus Kill Team. Pretty much halfway through it, as I had some models painted from before (first ones in this plog). 

Hopefully my barrels for my Stalker pattern boltguns will arrive this week so I can start painting them too. 

Dominatus Kill Team includes:

- Librarian (converted from the terminator DW librarian) in power armour

- 2 Vanguards, the ones form Overkill

- 7 Veterans, 2 with frag cannon, 2 with combi-melta, sergeant with flamer + storm shield 

Okey, Been painting for two days, and now the rest of the team is complete.

Vow complete, Furor Kill Team + Captain Artemis complete.

Good Emperor! blink.png

How do you do this so fast?!? I'm really amazed by your grasp of metallics in particular; yours are super shiny and mine always seem to be muted, somehow. huh.png

Okey, Been painting for two days, and now the rest of the team is complete.

Vow complete, Furor Kill Team + Captain Artemis complete.

Good Emperor! blink.png

How do you do this so fast?!? I'm really amazed by your grasp of metallics in particular; yours are super shiny and mine always seem to be muted, somehow. huh.png

Duncans video actually shows really well how to paint the Deathwatch. The only difference I do is that I paint all the base colours first, then shade all at once. Then I high light/dry brush, and finally details.

Now for the metallic, Duncan shows that you base with metallic, then follow up with nun oil. Important thing now is to add a layer or metallic again on the raised areas to bring back the shine.

I tend to use a lighter colour choice than Duncan. My base is Iron Breaker, while Duncan uses Leadbelcher.

And by the Emperor! I will complete my army by the end of this month...

Actually my base metallic is also Iron Breaker. I like my Deathwatch (and my Grey Knight) metallics a little brighter.

I wonder how many hours do you think it took you to do that squad and Artemis?

Well Since these were my first Deathwatch minis, it took a bit longer. And Artemis is a character so I took some time on him. 

My guess is round about 12 - 16 hours. 

I could time it with the next three models I paint though. :)

Dominatus Kill Team completed. 

The bases are getting more and more interesting to do now once I have gotten a hang of what to add to them. 

Next up I think will be the Aquila Kill Team with Stalker pattern Boltguns + Librarian.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Dominatus2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Dominatus%20Kill%20Team.jpg

Digging the flamer storm shield idea....I want to do a 5 man entry team with various weapons (shotguns, bolter, storm shields, a heavy thunder hammer) that idea may get snagged from you.

Digging the flamer storm shield idea....I want to do a 5 man entry team with various weapons (shotguns, bolter, storm shields, a heavy thunder hammer) that idea may get snagged from you.

I figured since this team is heading for close combat sooner or later, a flamer would be nice to have for a charge. 

Also it helps vs getting charged :) 

But I don't like the idea of paying for the flamer and losing the SIA. 

Anyhow, the Sergeant with storm shield and flamer is there to take challenges if any are issued, so the Librarian goes free. 

Same thing in the other unit I have completed, the sergeant is there to protect the Blackshield. 

Archived