The New HH Box (Highly Likely to be Prospero) - Happy?

Balthamal

Not having generic basic units in B@C 2.0 would be a terrible idea, not even the SW and TS players could use the full box and sales would reflect people's inability to use the models. That being said if the set is generic guys with extra legion specific bits that should work.

I suspect we will get fancy characters, a la the suspected Ahriman, for the two Legions and the rest of the box will be fairly generic stuff (hopefully some mk III stuff, maybe assault marines, who knows). I doubt they will add anything too legion specific so as to not step too much on FW's toes (after all, the BaC box was incredibly plain, but FW bits helped to make them look more identifiable to each Legion via torsos, helmets etc) nor to alienate a lot of people.

Ā 

Then again, it all depends on the intention of the box; is this seen as a starter like the prior Dark Vengance box? Or is it a stand alone game like B@C was?

Ā 

Either way, as a Thousand Sons player, I'm incredibly happy :-) I just hope they don't have anything as meh as the plastic Contemptor DreadnoughtĀ in there!

I'm split here.

I see the very obvious logic in having generic Troops. It makes sense, most bang for your buck.

My RG and IW would be happy with that

But the Wolf in me wants MOAR

Very much win - win for you then msn-wink.gif

Pretty much.

If it's generic AND marks II or III, my Iron Warrior project is going off the chain

If it's Wolves, the my Vlka Fenryka project is going off the chain.

At this point, I'm basically waiting to see how long until my wallet realizes it's living on borrowed time

What you mean borrowed? It should be flatlining knowing that Russ is imminent and Inferno not far behind

Ā So with [a new boxed game themed around Prospero, similar to Betrayal at Calth] tentatively agreed on what's peoples thoughts?Ā 

*SNIP* I firmly believe that NO Legion is worth having it's own box set and that 30K as a whole is better served by having a wider variety of models (that's assuming of course that there isn't a consul model included as with Calth)

*SNIP*

if there is more than just a specific HQ included I'm worried that *snip* the box won't be as successful as Calth which means we might not get another one - which is something I very much want to see - the more successful the conversion to plastic for the more common units means a better opportunity for the 30K community to grow

Ā 

Hope you don't mind; I've trimmed down your post to save a wall o'quote with my reply. GW are, in my opinion, coming up trumps at the moment. Going back to launches of big boxed games (a la 90s-era Titan Legions, Necromunda, Blood Bowl) gives me the warm-and-fuzzies of nostalgia. :)

Ā 

Assuming that we are going to see another box in the style of Betrayal at Calth, I think both specific and generic approaches have their merits. On balance and in terms of this box, I'd like to see box-specific characters (i.e. Ahriman, a named Custodes etc.) and the troops kept non-specific. The approach that seems to be gaining momentum is of GW producing the generic kits, and Forge World selling upgrades separately. This seems a very elegant compromise to me :)

Ā 

This discussion also touches on a broader point, which is that while boxes like Betrayal at Calth are bought up to bulk up armies (and GW are doubtless aware of the fact ā€“ given the way Betrayal at Calth was marketed), they're also created as standalone games and should be seen in that light.

Ā 

Taken in the narrow view of ā€“ for example ā€“ a Christmas gift, the boxed set is an obvious and immediately familiar concept, where 'X points to expand Y army' is not. In that light, it makes a lot of sense to kill two birds with one stone by selling a boxed game with special game-specific figures (such as the 'pre-Heresy Ahriman' we've seen), but also using the marketing and manufacturing push to justify the inclusion of figures that are more generic that can be released separately later ā€“ which gives GW two bites of the cherry, as it were, by appealing to army collectors and people who want a simple game. If this is right, it should help to put your fears of a follow-up being less successful than Betrayal at Calth.

Ā 

On an anecdotal note, while I've cannibalised the figures from Betrayal at Calth for my conversions (and so will mainly use the box's contents in 30k rather than for Betrayal at Calth), I really enjoyed the game itself, and would happily buy a copy of a Prospero equivalent just on the strength of the box as a set in itself.

I'm split here.

I see the very obvious logic in having generic Troops. It makes sense, most bang for your buck.

Pretty much.

If it's generic AND marks II or III, my Iron Warrior project is going off the chain

At this point, I'm basically waiting to see how long until my wallet realizes it's living on borrowed time

What you mean borrowed? It should be flatlining knowing that Russ is imminent and Inferno not far behind

With both Hallowween Horror Night and a trip to New York Comic Con in the next 2 months, my wallet and I are currently not on speaking terms.

I haven't even told it about Russ or Inferno yet. I expect that to go over like a house on fire

I'm split here.

Pretty much.

With both Hallowween Horror Night and a trip to New York Comic Con in the next 2 months, my wallet and I are currently not on speaking terms.

I haven't even told it about Russ or Inferno yet. I expect that to go over like a house Sorcerer's Planet on fire

FTFY

Looking at This Russ & Inferno, plus extra bits.... Anyone in need of a spleen, or kidneys, lung or a 3000 point Grey Knights army.

Ā 

I am gonna need something to help me pay for all this!!

Ā 

Not sure I could convincingly fake my own death for the insurance money

Looking at This Russ & Inferno, plus extra bits.... Anyone in need of a spleen, or kidneys, lung or a 3000 point Grey Knights army.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Other than the small aloha force i am working on ALLL my other Alphas and world eater have been sold....all to prepare for the next 5 months!

Yea, I'm planning on dumping my 40k Wolves later this month if I can get a buyer.

I'd still have around 3.5 in pieces for the next ETL though...

I'm split here.

Pretty much.

I haven't even told it about Russ or Inferno yet. I expect that to go over like a house Sorcerer's Planet on fire

FTFY

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/072F111A-DEAF-493C-A930-D5C13862D12D_zpsi42rrx69.gif

As a newer player, I'd prefer generic mk II/III marines, with maybye just character TS/SW, so I could use the majority of the box for my DA. However, as long as they still produce B@C I will be happy.

As a newer player, I'd prefer generic mk II/III marines, with maybye just character TS/SW, so I could use the majority of the box for my DA. However, as long as they still produce B@C I will be happy.

Ā 

They'll produce the individual squads/characters/contemptor but the box set itself has had it's final print run

I can't see the new box being legion specific...just like many others I would not rage if it was but I really think they will keep it all generic...FW just make way too much money out of those legion specific head and torso sets...

Ā 

My bet for the new box is mainly on Mk III and an another terminator armour variant, FW will also release those legion specific weapon sets they teased a few months back that they will bundle with the new box similar to what they did with B@C and head and torso upgrades.

Ā 

For me this is what would make the most sense from a sales point of view...

Ā 

I think the 1k Sons model will be used to try and get more mainstream interest in the new book coming out but FW will still release a dedicated model as part of their character series...again this is just what I think makes sense...nothing more.

Idk, the fact that the corpse under the sorcerer's feet is legion specific to the wolves, makes me think there will be a lot of legion specific parts. Though I'm hoping it will be easy to convert.Ā 

That said it'd make more sense to make the modes generic for resale later, just like they did with the kits from B@C. It may be that just the HQ are specific, but they usually go all or nothing.

I'm strongly for generic and I think it makes much more sense financially for GW.

Ā 

I'm hoping the "Ahriman" is not actually Ahriman (as I want to see FW do him) but I could understand him being a limited "collectors edition" extra, like the DV Interregator-Chaplain. Or he's just a standalone release.

Ā 

That being said - If we have Legion specific characters and generic troops, I'm still going to buy it. Legion specific characters and troops will probably mean I skip it though.

I'm not interested in the SoS or custodes but I'm sure it'll be easy enough to trade them from some more MKIII or whatever else comes in the box that I do want. Ā 

Ā 

Christmas time release works for my wallet and my to do list ... gives me time to justify the purchase by completing my back log :)

When I first saw the diamond on the MkIII torso I was like: "Ooo! Space Wolf! The rumours are true!" but although it's commonly associated with the Space Wolves these days it's certainly not *unique* to them - those diamonds used to be a part of the old Vet Sergeant/Lieutenant/Captain/Lieutenant-Commander rank badges - the 'sergeant' Crux Terminatus in the generic Terminator squad still has it even though the actual sergeant portion has been removed.Ā 

Wonder if we will see the Assault Marines afterall!

Ā 

And if they will be a slight ret-con and be MkIII too :P

I wouldn't mind if they preserved the fluff and they were mkIV (mkII seems unlikely), as long as they give us running legs.

Wonder if we will see the Assault Marines afterall!

And if they will be a slight ret-con and be MkIII too tongue.png

As the Ahriman looks more like mkIV/VI then mkIII, it could be the Thousand Sons have mkIV and assault units, whereas wolves have the mkIII?

Archived