Homebrew Knight Household Project Collaboration

Pyroclast91

This will be the home of a collaborative knight household devised by myself and @bluebelly1863. At the time of writing this my brother in arms and I each have a single knight (we'll not get into how long I've been neglecting mine) but more will eventually be added and anybody else who is interested is more than welcome to pledge a knight to house Durantar And there name and that of there mount will be added to the ranks of our mighty household. Name and ranks will be edited into a list in this post once there is info to list. This is still very much an evolving concept with no concrete guidelines so far just two frater and a couple big plastic robots who's goal is to come up with some solid fluff and some killer conversions. And to that end C&C is always greatly appreciated and encouraged on any and everything.

What is known - The time frame we're in is post Istvaan, we're definitely loyalists, the household has strong ties to the Salamanders.

Everything else still needs to be decided and as it is I will update it into this post as it is

And the first of house Durantar shall be Talos Durantar. I'll post more detailed fluff for him asap but here's a start.

Pilot: Talos Durantar

Chassis: Questoris Crusader Variant

Mount: Storm Dragon

Current Status: Undergoing rebuild after being almost completely destroyed during fighting after the Istvaan V massacre.

20160825_235630.jpgupload an image

Hey everyone!! Super excited about building and painting my first knight in a collaborative effort with my brother Pyroclast91! We both play 30k Salamanders and have Imperial Knights to make, so this'll be a lot of fun. We're still deciding on color scheme and other fluffy details like that, but for now I have pics of the beginnings of my knight! It doesn't have a name yet, but hopefully I'll have one in the next few days. I have the Knight Paladin from renegade, as my brother Son of Carnelian very graciously gifted it to me!

Here is the beginnings of the knight, with his armament and sub-assemblies that i'll use for better painting. I've left off all of the armor plating for now.

gallery_87472_12350_59930.jpg

This is my first time really building a model of this complexity and size. I've made an Eldar Wraithknight before, but that assembly is rather straightforward and the model un-detailed. So, with that in mind, I'm using sub-assemblies for the first time and just hope I make it all work in the end!

gallery_87472_12350_42027.jpg

Playing around with posing the big guy right now, and I'm on this or another pose in which the battle cannon is being presented. I want a rather dynamic pose for him, as I've seen many knights at my local hobby shops that seem to be a bit hunched-over and sad-looking. Nothing needs to be glued yet, so definitely going to play around with it for quite a bit.

Can't wait to get some more progress on this project!!

Looking good so far brother I'm stoked to have the ball off and rolling. If you haven't already check out the Queen Bee knight , and the Knight of the Black Ruin . Both threads are full of awesome ideas and some superb posing if you wanna get that into slicing and dicing :D

Hey everyone! Decently big update for y'all! We've decided on house colors and heraldry for House Durantar! We're going to go with navy blue and mechanicum grey for our main two colors, and the heraldry of my family's clan, the Boyd clan:

boyd_large.gif

It goes well with the colors we've picked out, will just be a challenge to paint it on the knight now!

With these decisions made, I've gotten some painting done:

gallery_87472_12350_46985.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_134409.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_14231.jpg

Decent amount of the armor done, now I need to focus on getting all of the endoskeleton painted so I can start to glue things together and really get a sense for how this thing will look when its mostly painted and put together. I'm having some trouble with the torso, its tough to decide how to do the inside portions that have lots of detail in terms of mechanical workings but not much surface area. Tough call how to paint that, I'm going to watch the GW for some pointers but any advice is most welcome.

Also picked this up this beauty from the mailroom today:

gallery_87472_12350_121816.jpg

Got it from an ebay seller who cutom makes them. I was a bit nervous about quality but overall its a really nice custom base. Excited to put some paint on it after its cleaned off. Taking suggestions for which traitor legion I should paint the turret.

That base is freaking epic bro I'm gonna have to pull out all the stops on mine I suppose. Gotta have em match ;) I'll get pics of Talos up tomorrow after my 5hr drive home.

Also my vote for traitor tank turret colors is A. Word Bearers cuz you can't go wrong with the guys that started the heresy. Or B. Emperors children cuz they'd contrast well and well I don't really like there legion so I make a lot of EC corpses

Welp watching some videos, my question is answered. I'm actually going to repaint the entire endoskeleton. Instead of doing a blue, I'm painting the whole thing leadbealcher to start, then areas of bronze, and then a wash. Starting.... now. 

Mentioned this in your other thread, if I recall correctly your fluff has your sallies as Istvaan survivors. Fluff wise the tank "should" be either DG who the sallies were tasked with kicking ass and taking names or AL who were ment to "back them up". But pyroclast is right either red or purple would pop better.

Didn't get a ton done on Talos tonight but I got home late so only managed some primer on the parts that don't still have sculpting to be done.

20160905_225308.jpgimage hosting

And in my pondering I came up with another way we can tie the knights together.

20160905_225923.jpgprint screen windows xp

I saw the remains of the old pred I butchered for my Leviathan. And I thought to myself you know it'd be kinda cool if it looked like both our knight's just played tug o war with a traitor pred (minus the whole ya know...hands)

Anywho I've got tomorrow off so I intend to do some sculpting and painting on this bad boy I'm still trying to decide which mask to use and what/if I should sculpt out of it? Maybe a drake head? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

20160905_225037.jpgupload a picture

Ooooo now THAT'S a great idea Pyro. Having the side of the tank will look great. I think I will take Baz's suggestion and paint it as a Death Guard tank, because Alpha Legion would just be more dark blue. 

Thanks Bjorn!! Stay tuned for more!! 

@Baz you sir are just full of good ideas that would tie in quite nicely with my vets thanks man your input it's always greatly appreciated

@Bjorn thanks brother

@ Bluebelly DG it is then I love it when a plan comes together.

Small update from me! Metallic basecoat of the knight's 'skeleton' is pretty much complete. Mainly leadbealcher, with the secondary color being warpstone bronze. Will finish it up tomorrow morning and post pictures before I lather the whole thing in Nuln Oil.

gallery_87472_12350_10938.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_1324.jpggallery_87472_12350_63324.jpg

Progress continues on my knight! It's gotten a heavy wash of nuln oil, and then a drybrushing of runefang steel in order to try and bring out the details of the 'skeleton.' Progress will be slow over the next few days due to school requiring a lot of attention. Hopefully will have an update at some point later on in the week. C&C welcome.

gallery_87472_12350_31488.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_57791.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_1742.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_33485.jpg

(sorry for the questionable quality of the images, hope they still illustrate what's been done to the model.)

WOW has a lot of progress been made since my last post. Probably should've done a post before this, but y'all are going to get a lot of pics in one big go!

Firstly, I've decided to name my knight Ehud Durantar. Ehud is the Hebrew word for "united," which I believe ties in well with the themes of the Horus Heresy. Hopefully will find the free time to write something up about the pilot one day. But, for now, all my free time is going into painting the bad boy:

gallery_87472_12350_37201.jpg

Top armor and chestplate of the knight. Since taking this image I've added his name, Ehud, in Hebrew lettering down the side of the hatch, and have done two layers of 'ardcoat in order to give the glass viewport a nice shine to it.

gallery_87472_12350_73132.jpg

I apologize for the poor lighting on the image, but I'm including it because it's the only picture of the head plate among these photos. I went for a checkerboard type feel with it, doing opposing quarters of the helm the same color.

gallery_87472_12350_37593.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_86017.jpg

For the bottom leg plates, plenty of lines of litany!! I wanted the right plate to look a bit like a list of engagements, or planets the knight has been in combat on. I also added the "Death to Traitors" writing on the side of the right plate as if the pilot added it quickly once the extent of the heresy was revealed.

Now for the best part. I was really daunted by the custom base I had ordered, so tonight I decided to dive right in. Well, the result was one of the best pieces I've ever painted in my own opinion. Definitely one of the things I'm most proud of that I've worked on. (and it's just a base!)

gallery_87472_12350_26338.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_90879.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_132126.jpg

Like I said, incredibly happy with how it turned out. Death guard turret I'm over the moon about, its actually the first piece I've tired weathering on. Definitely going to have to try it on a mini or two now to see how it looks. Also happy about the tiles, at first they looked bland but with a layer of typhus corrosion and then a drybrush of ryza rust it turned out looking suitably gross and neglected. Gravel and ash matches up with my men's bases perfectly too! Yay!

Now just should pads, shield, and lots of lil armor pieces to paint! C&C always welcome!!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to be back on the B&C! While things were being repaired I made some decent progress on my knight!! Only two last pieces remain and then it's time for assembly!! I finished up the shoulder pads, and some of the lower armor pieces. Will probably redo the liens of litany on the Salamanders shoulder pad per my brothers suggestion, but besides that pretty happy with how they came out!

gallery_87472_12350_25064.jpggallery_87472_12350_88952.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_21525.jpg

C&C always welcome! more to come, possibly even tonight!

I'm rather liking this. Interested to see how it looks when it's all put together. The base is a great bit of work, you've got the weathering just right.

Well Stercus, wonder no more! Knight Ehud Durantar is all done!

gallery_87472_12350_32720.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_33979.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_92601.jpg

Here he is on the base and set in his pose!!

gallery_87472_12350_37412.jpg

I'm really happy with the completed work, and it was really a blast taking on a project of this size. It was tough at times to keep pushing through each little bit without seeing the whole thing come together, but it was completely worth it. There were a few mix-ups while putting on all the armor (note to self: arms before shoulder pads next time!) but nothing irreversible happened and the finished product is pretty awesome IMHO. I didnt glue the torso to the legs, and the legs are waiting for super glue to be attached to the resin base.

In finishing up the painting, I decided to add the slogan of the Boyd clan, which is Confido. Plus a hoplite helmet for reasons only SonofCarnelian knows. Teehee.

Hope you all enjoyed seeing this knight come together! Maybe I'll add some more info and backstory before too long! Pyro, ball is in your court msn-wink.gif

Absolutely freaking epic brother!!!!!! im so glad we decided to go with the dark blue and grey scheme it looks killer man. I guess I better get my ass in gear and get to work on talos again. I kinda got hung up a bit tho as I think I might end up removing the battle cannon and building a CC weapon for that arm and running him as a gallant since I realized I can't run the battle cannon and avenger on the crusader.

• 8 months later...

Archived