The Black Reaches (DW) - IC

Cryptix

"Aye, for a speedy exit with our quarry, having your bike at hand to transport them will facilitate matters greatly. As for their Night Vision gear, it is why we brought Cameleolines with us. True, if they have thermoptic sensors, it will make our approach that much riskier but, between your bike and my Jump Pack Thrusters, once we go in, it will be hard to miss us hence why an attack in the day might prove beneficial since we could use the ambient temperature alongside our Cameleolines to mask our approach."

"That being said, a Night Attack seems to be the best course of action."

Yeah, for some reason I thought Kamael took the Ravenwing Option in First Founding since Dark Angel on a bike = Ravenwing 99% of the time :P

As the rest of the squad prepared to head out, another figure appeared, his long, red hair unbound and flowing wildly, while his helmet hung mag-locked to his hip. The Astartes' armor, already painted in the livery of the Deathwatch, appeared to be covered in a fine layer of dust, matting the ceramite's sheen. His left arm and pauldron were swathed in a lightly-colored linen, since the reflection from a bright silver surface would give the Wolf Scout's position away immediately in the desert's glaring sunlight. "Brother Sigbjörn, reporting for duty," came a quick greeting, the figure's voice resonant and warm, the words slow and deliberate. The Space Wolf offered the Sign of the Aquila, his golden, cybernetic eyes glancing from one person to the next. An almost imperceptible nod was Brother Sigbjörn's acknowledgement to the Black Templar; the Iron Hand was regarded with silent respect; the Wolf's eyes betrayed the briefest glimmer of animosity towards the Dark Angel. As his gaze lit upon Sister Inellia, Sigbjörn's mouth opened slightly, revealing a pair of elongated incisors, and he looked as if he were about to address her. Instead, he turned to Kharvox, a rueful grin creeping across his visage. "And I suppose you are to thank for the wake-up call, Brother Apothecary?"

Turning to the full group once more, the Marine continued, "I didn't see any cause for concern as I made my way to the outpost, but I'm willing to bet that if the Tau didn't know we were here before, they do now. At least, we should assume so at this point, adding one more reason a night engagement would be best. Even with night-vision, the xenos scum would still be on the defensive, and as long as we can keep them off-balance, we hold the upper hand. But we must strike hard and fast, and withdraw swiftly when our target is secured, lest we endanger our objectives."

(Greetings everyone! I look forward to kicking ass and chewing gum with yall. smile.png)

Hidden Content
Current Effects: Agility -10 for duration of mission

Edit: Edited for flavor and spelling.

Kharvox looks the newcomer up and down, as if scrutinising him:

"CLARIFICATION: I DID NOT PROVIDE A SO CALLED 'WAKE-UP CALL'. I MERELY STATED WHAT I HAD CALCULATED TO BE THE OPTIMAL PLAN OF ACTION. ADDENDUM: MY CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BEGINNINGS OF THE PATH TO SELF-IMPROVEMENT."

((For some fluff-defying reason, Blood of Martys doesn't say anything about Inellia's helmet having night vision, so I suppose we have to deal with that?))

((also, what time of day is it? The important thing is that Inellia has to flagellate herself in the morning))

Inellia returns the Sign of the Aquila to the Space Wolf before instructint the Troopers to take Celestine and her daughter into the structure.

"A night attack does sound preferable. I agree that we should get moving as quickly as possible."

The Sister turns and begins to slowly walk away, toward nothing in particular, holding her Chaplet to her lips and mumbling unintelligibly

((Inellia has 42 Insanity Points from character creation, even though she's immune to most ways of gaining them (she must have fought some Daeomons in the past), but 0 corruption (because Chaos is for wimps), so she whispers compulsively to her Chaplet Ecclesiasticus tongue.png ))

"QUERY: ONCE AGAIN, ARE YOU WELL, SISTER? I REPEAT MY OFFER OF A MEDICAL EXAMINATION OR THE APPLICATION OF THE RITE OF PURE THOUGHT."

Inellia turns back toward the Iron Hand, looking ever so slightly confused, "The Emperor is my strength, and my faith in Him my shield. I need nothing more." She still holds her Chaplet in her hand, but lowers her hand to her side.

Grinning toothily, Sigbjörn replied to the Iron Hand. "Aye, that was definitely you on the vox-caster earlier, causing the locals to panic with your compelling words. And these," -the Space Wolf motioned to his 'self-improvements'- "were not gained by choice, but without which I would be little more than a memory, left at the Fang to rot away from old age." As Sister Inellia wandered off, muttering to herself, Sigbjörn watched her from the corner of his eye; though it was nearly unheard of for one to fall, the pious Sisters were not completely immune to the temptations of Chaos, and the Wolf Scout would not be caught unaware if something happened.

Hidden Content
Current Effects: Agility -10 for duration of mission

"We can reminisce on War Stories and Battle Scars later, for now we have a job to do. It seems we're all agreed on attacking under the cover or Night? If so, let us be on our way as soon as possible. The less time we waste, the faster we can accomplish our task, the faster we can deliver our subject to the Inquisitor and the sooner we can be available to aid with the Daemonic Incursion should our aid be necessary."

A Rhino drops off at the camp at the Sister's behest, ready to transport them across the desert to the Tau settlement.

*time skip*

The 4(?) of you now are standing outside of the base. Six Fire Warriors patrol the wall, seemingly on high alert. You will have to deal with them to pass by. However, first you must take care to not be spotted.

(Difficult Silent Movement Checks for Everyone! I'll roll the two troopers using the Imperial Storm Trooper profile.

http://orokos.com/roll/456201

Both Pass!)

Silent Move: 1#1d100 30 http://orokos.com/roll/456215 With Agi 38, Silent Move as a Trained skill and +30 from the Stummer and possibly +20 from the Cameleoline for a total of 68(88) vs 30 for 3 (5) degrees of Success. With the -10 of a difficult test, this is reduced to 2(4) DoS.

As Faramond disembarks from the Rhino, he activates his Stummer and makes sure that his Cameleoline properly covers his Jump Pack-Bulked form and advances with the rest of the squad to a vantage point that gives them the best view of the base.

As the Kill Team disembarks from the Rhino, which, like the Blackstar, had and interior scaled for an Astartes, Inellia punches the activation rune of her requisitioned Stummer. All at once the familiar clinks and barely audible hisses of her armour, even the sound of air cycling into and out of her helmet, are almost completely muffled. The Sister feels she can still almost hear her own breathing, but the sound is faint to her own ears at best.

((Silent Move Test (Trained): 43 (Agility) +30 (Stummer) -10 (Difficult) = 63 Roll: 75 Re-Roll: 10 for 5 DoS Fate Point spent for re-roll))

As the xeno sentries come into view, Inellia readies her Bolter. Quietly, she begins to sing the Fede Imperialis, the battle hymn of the Adepta Sororitas over the vox.

((of course, the external vox on Inellia's armour is turned off))

((Edited for re-roll))

Inqu-Heirophant Inellia's faith causes a bright explosion along the wall, blinding the fire warriors and knocking them down.

(Surprise round! Everyone roll Initiative!

Stormtroopers - http://orokos.com/roll/456341 - 6 and 11

Fire Warriors - http://orokos.com/roll/456343 - 12, 9, 4, 6, and 10)

((Initiative: 8))

Sigbjörn bared his fangs in a savage grin as he swapped out the magazine on his bolt pistol for Stalker rounds. "Well, so much for the silent approach," he quipped, glancing sidelong at the Sister once more.

Initiative: 1d10+3 12 http://orokos.com/roll/456380 Looks like a few of us are going at the same time as the Tau!

"Well, they know we're here now. I shall clear the way for us, cover me." and Faramond will fire up his Jump Pack and use his turn to rush the Tau on the wall, if possible conducting a Charge on the nearest one.

Jump Pack doubles movement rate from my 4/8/12/24 (I really need higher agi) to 8/16/24/48

Inellia is just as surprised as the Astartes, though she does not stop her singing as she considers what happened. Perhaps some kind of flash grenade carried by one of the xeno had accidentally detonated. The Sister shrugs mentally as she brings one of the xeno into her sights.

((Inellia will be going for a semi-auto burst with her boltgun I think.))

((Inellia is still singing))

"From the curse of the mutant,

Our Emperor, deliver us.

"A morte per-

((Semi-Auto Burst: 58 (BS with helmet) + 10 (semi-auto burst) = 68 Roll: 03 (woot!) for 6 Dos and 2 hits the first is against the Left Arm (30), and the second is against an Arm as well (the table on pg 239 doesn't say which). 

The the first hit does Roll: 6 + 2 (mighty shot) = 8, Pen 4 (to the Left Arm). The second does Roll: 7 + 2 (mighty shot) =  9, Pen 4 (to an Arm). If that does take the Tau into Critical damage, he takes an extra +2 Critical Damage for each of Inellia's shots that did critical damage (Crack Shot) ))

". . . libra nos.

That though whouldst bring them only death

That though . . . "

((singing continues))

((Mighty shot does apply to all hits right? It says all ranged attacks get +2 damage.))

Edit: fixed typo.

• 2 weeks later...

Kharvox aims at the other xeno at 150m range.

((Semi-Auto Burst: 49 (BS with helmet) + 10 (semi-auto burst) = 59 Roll (http://orokos.com/roll/459448): 10  for 4 Dos and a total of 3 hits. The first hit is against the Head (01), the second is against the Head and the third is against the aforementioned unspecified Arm.

The first hit does Roll (http://orokos.com/roll/459451 - drop lowest for Tearing): 13, Pen 4 (to the head). The second does Roll (http://orokos.com/roll/459452 - drop lowest for Tearing):  16, Pen 4 (to the head). The third does Roll (http://orokos.com/roll/459453 - drop lowest for Tearing):  16, Pen 4 (to the unspecified arm).

If the profile for the Fire Warrior from the Core Rulebook is used, the unfortunate Fire Warrior has taken 19 damage to the head and 11 damage to the unspecified arm.))

(Please tell me if I have done something wrong, as this damage seems a bit excessive.)

Seeing Faramond had the closest Tau covered, and the other two were being taken care of by Sister Inellia and Kharvox, Sigbjörn leapt forward, sprinting towards the furthest sentry. 

((Run action with Sprint to move 84m towards Fire Warrior 200m away.)

Archived