Guardians of the Covenant (WIP) [Darkn3ss' tale]

Darkn3ssF4lls

INSERT BIG BANNER HERE

This thread was created to show the evolution of me as a model painter, me as a Warhammer 40k gamer, and well for you all to have fun both inspiring and poking fun at me :smile.:. My goals for this thread over time will accomplish:

• Talk about my experiences as a first time miniature painter
  • Ask your advice on issues that i run into while creating and painting
  • Ask your advice when filling out my fluff
  • Eventually have a write up of my "Version" of the GotC
  • Eventually have a running gallery of my units
  • Ultimately aim to help those who will then be like me when i'm getting some experience under my belt

For the Lion and the Emperor of Mankind. 
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
About the Chapter

Is a Place holder for a wiki esc write up like some I've seen around here about home world who the current who's who's are etc.

Company Sigils

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th |

6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th |

Photo Gallery (Click any thumbnail to enlarge)

Is a Place holder for a photo gallery of my finished products

WIP Progress Gallery 

Chapter Leadership [equivalencies]

DA  - Azrael - Day 1

DA  - Belial - Day 1

DA  - Sammael (Corvex) - Day 1

DA  - Ezekial - Day 1

DA  - Asmodai - Day 1

GOTC - Interrogator Chaplin - Day 1

GOTC - Librarian with PS - Day 1

GOTC - Librarian on Bike - Day 1

1st Company - Deathwing [equivalencies]

• GOTC - Company Master in TDA Day 1
  • GOTC - 1st Terminator Squad x 5 Day 1
  • DA - 1st Terminator Squad x 5 Day 1
  • *AoV 
  • *Cons
  • *AoR
  • *DoC
  • *AoA
  • GOTC - Venerable Dreadnaught Day 1

* Indicates future planning

2nd Company - Ravenwing [equivalencies]

• GOTC - 1st Command Squad x 3 Day 1
  • GOTC - 1st Biker Squad x 3 Day 1
  • GOTC - 2nd Biker Squad x 3 Day 1
  • GOTC - 3rd Biker Squad x 3 Day 1
  • GOTC - Dark Shroud Day 1

3rd Company - Greenwing [equivalencies]

• GOTC - Company Master Day 1
  • GOTC - 1st Tactical Marines x 10 Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4  Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8
  • GOTC - 2nd Tactical Marines x 10 Day 1
  • GOTC - 3rd Tactical Marines x 10 Day 1
  • GOTC - 1st Assault Marines x 5 Day 1
  • GOTC - 1st Devastator Marines x 6 Day 1
  • GOTC - Rhinoback Day 1

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls
Adjusted some formatting making the post wonky on mobile

This is the original first post:

It starts here, I will do my best not to fail myself and i will paint my first set of mini's starting with the Tactical marines. Hope they look good when i'm done :smile.:, otherwise i bet they'll look like a kindergartner did this haha.

Day 1: All off the sprues

http://i.imgur.com/sDAaRYD.jpg

Thanks any tips to cleaning the nozzle on the plastic glue thin ? It seems to be clogged :/ I'm using it like a dropper now minus it can't actually drop

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Thanks any tips to cleaning the nozzle on the plastic glue thin ? It seems to be clogged :/ I'm using it like a dropper now minus it can't actually drop

A probleme I never truly solved myself, 

the liquid glue is supposed to melt the solid glue that clog the nozzle, if you keep it upside down long enough.

A probleme I never truly solved myself, 

the liquid glue is supposed to melt the solid glue that clog the nozzle, if you keep it upside down long enough.

Doh

If it's the GW thin plastic glue, you can thread a very small paper clip through and get it out.

First thing I always try when mine clogs though is simply take out the metal bit and flip it. You'd be surprised at how often just doing that works.

Thanks I just tried no success, I'm guessing it's because I bought and tried it over a year ago lol

The flipping, got to find a pin or needle

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

What does the nozzle look like?

With the plastic glue bottles that have a long metal needle applicator, a trick to unblock the needle was to quickly pass it through a flame a few times until you saw a little puff of smoke. After that, let the needle cool for five minutes and give it a try - it should be unblocked.

Of course, this is dangerous, and many glues are flammable. If you decide to try this, please be *extremely* careful and take all sensible precautions!

Edited by Major_Gilbear

What does the nozzle look like?

With the plastic glue bottles that have a long metal needle applicator, a trick to unblock the needle was to quickly pass it through a flame a few times until you saw a little puff of smoke. After that, let the needle cool for five minutes and give it a try - it should be unblocked.

Of course, this is dangerous, and many glues are flammable. If you decide to try this, please be *extremely* careful and take all sensible precautions!

Thanks!

This is the glue

http://i.imgur.com/xOIAD2y.jpg

So as I'm priming I'm wondering to myself, is it better to be unique as I would like to be (guardians successor) or to follow the path many have which is the green and bone of the actual DA? Is it much more difficult to be a successor ? Do people scratch their heads when you have a successor ?

The flame technique should work on that glue bottle - just be careful if you do try it please, and don't heat the needle too much!

Whether DA, official successors, or your own successors, there us no difference rules-wise if you use the DA Codex. :)

The flame technique should work on that glue bottle - just be careful if you do try it please, and don't heat the needle too much!

Whether DA, official successors, or your own successors, there us no difference rules-wise if you use the DA Codex. :smile.:

huzzah i'll have to get some kinda clamp and one of those grill lighters

Also, plesse unscrew the lid-nozzle assembly first so that you can't accidentally set the glue alight. And do this outside if you can!

ORM at its best ;)

Edit:

Operational risk management - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_risk_management

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

So as I'm priming I'm wondering to myself, is it better to be unique as I would like to be (guardians successor) or to follow the path many have which is the green and bone of the actual DA? Is it much more difficult to be a successor ? Do people scratch their heads when you have a successor ?

There is nothing wrong with going successor chapter.  I would recommend looking at some of the other threads in the Dark Angels forum to get an idea of the various successor chapter builds others are working on.  I think the one area of frustration that I have heard (and I think is legit) is that all Dark Angel successor builds are, rules wise, "counts as" Dark Angels.  Others on the forum have dealt with this in creative and cool ways that are worth checking out.  The main area that this becomes a problem is with the characters.  Some folks have made cool looking proxy models and used the rules profiles of the DA characters.  Or fluff wise I see no reason you couldn't use the DA characters since the Unforgiven are all one Legion, er... I mean separate chapters with only loose ties to each other.

There is nothing wrong with going successor chapter. I would recommend looking at some of the other threads in the Dark Angels forum to get an idea of the various successor chapter builds others are working on. I think the one area of frustration that I have heard (and I think is legit) is that all Dark Angel successor builds are, rules wise, "counts as" Dark Angels. Others on the forum have dealt with this in creative and cool ways that are worth checking out. The main area that this becomes a problem is with the characters. Some folks have made cool looking proxy models and used the rules profiles of the DA characters. Or fluff wise I see no reason you couldn't use the DA characters since the Unforgiven are all one Legion, er... I mean separate chapters with only loose ties to each other.

I was thinking of doing that for the big names, I am a sucker for

Contenedor.png

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Indeed. CardinalVirtue and Brother Arkley have Successors with really interesting colours. And Bryan Blairs' Stoneburners are DA-successors as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Plenty of good stuff around here to gather inspiration from.

You have more freedom with successors, but it will take more effort to flesh out your fluff (if you chosse to do so).

Edited by GreyRavenC

Unforgiven Successor Chapters, unite :happy.:!

Seriously though, you know you don't want to paint green and bone and be hemmed in by what GW tells you your own Chapter is doing. Be cool. Be a Successor :cool.:.

Thanks yea, I like the idea of being unique ish and it's kind of cool to employee the lore with having the masters in your army be from the "legion" I'll have to make my own at some point for variation but it's still kewl.

Indeed. CardinalVirtue and Brother Arkley have Successors with really interesting colours. And Bryan Blairs' Stoneburners are DA-successors as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Plenty of good stuff around here to gather inspiration from.

You have more freedom with successors, but it will take more effort to flesh out your fluff (if you chosse to do so).

Thanks I think right now I'm focused on painting some color schemes

Good luck with the DV set! Feels good starting a new project doesn't it? :)

Yes it feels good to finally get to painting these, class schedule allows plenty of time but I'll have to focus on school most of the week.

Another advantage of doing your own successor is that you can switch between the DA Codex and the Space Marine Codex.

I know doing that is sometimes frowned upon a bit (it's like having your cake and eating it), but actually it is pretty fluffy. You see, the DA Codex represents better the more extreme/specific elements of the DA Chapter (and like-minded successors that are collectively known as the Unforgiven), but otherwise function a lot like a regular Chapter. Indeed, apart from the 2nd Company being different, the DA appear to otherwise be quite adherant to Robute Guilliman's Codex Astartes.

Besides, just because equipment like Thunderfire Cannons and Storm Ravens are not in the DA Codex, it doesn't mean they don't have/use them . :)

Edited by Major_Gilbear

Did someone say Guardians?? Successors are the way to go. You get to choose the colors you like and you get to make your own fluff.

Major Gilbear has a good point about switching between codexes. I never thought of it before. You could paint them as a cohesive army with some elements from the SM codex and call them allies to field them legally.

So... Which successor are you leaning towards?

Did someone say Guardians?? Successors are the way to go. You get to choose the colors you like and you get to make your own fluff.

Major Gilbear has a good point about switching between codexes. I never thought of it before. You could paint them as a cohesive army with some elements from the SM codex and call them allies to field them legally.

So... Which successor are you leaning towards?

Guardians at present