Guardians of the Covenant (WIP) [Darkn3ss' tale]

Darkn3ssF4lls

Oh yeah, the 25mm bases are fine too.  GW is in the process of switching over to 32mm bases for Marines, and there was some discussion as to weather or not to re-base now or just leave them, or as you can see I found some adapters that I have been playing around with.

Do you think then at some point i'll have to cut the slot off these guys? i'm not planning on glueing them to the base because in general i'll just be magnitising the guys to the bases as i'm OCD and eventually want bases to fit the terrain when i've got nothing else to paint haha

Well, it highly depends on what you want. :smile.:

well i guess does that change the base contact rule, am i gaming the system by having smaller bases then my advisary because he started after me ? Hmm looks like it will only be the ones from DV the packages i bought are 32mm, so i guess the answer is yes haha at some point i'll have to buy some bigger bases haha. 

What grade of sand paper are we talking here? could one not use a nail file ?

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

I recommend you take a look through the "25mm or 32mm" thread.  There are all kinds of options.  Major_Gilbear has a nice tutorial on how he makes his awesome bases.  Plus I have a little comparison of options (or at least the ones I have tried).  Additionally, no one will ever turn you away because your bases are the older ones.  So you could just leave them if you want to.

Thread here.

I recommend you take a look through the "25mm or 32mm" thread.  There are all kinds of options.  Major_Gilbear has a nice tutorial on how he makes his awesome bases.  Plus I have a little comparison of options (or at least the ones I have tried).  Additionally, no one will ever turn you away because your bases are the older ones.  So you could just leave them if you want to.

Thread here.

Started to shave off the da symbol, was referring to the sand paper you had mentioned. 

oh, sorry.  I use nail files sometimes. They do work fairly well.  In fact some of the very best sanding I have done, I did with very fine nail files.  The most flexible product I have found is something Tamiya makes that they call a "sanding sponge sheet."  You can get them in all sorts of different grits and you can cut them up into the size that works best.  Sargent also makes sanding sticks that work pretty well.

Edit:  If you are looking for a grade of sandpaper for smoothing purposes I would use something in the 400 to 600 range, but not a whole lot coarser.

Edited by Malcifer

oh, sorry.  I use nail files sometimes. They do work fairly well.  In fact some of the very best sanding I have done, I did with very fine nail files.  The most flexible product I have found is something Tamiya makes that they call a "sanding sponge sheet."  You can get them in all sorts of different grits and you can cut them up into the size that works best.  Sargent also makes sanding sticks that work pretty well.

Edit:  If you are looking for a grade of sandpaper for smoothing purposes I would use something in the 400 to 600 range, but not a whole lot coarser.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll post up the first guy, took one of the ones I hadn't worked on yet. Lots of plastic to shave away on that symbol lol don't want to make it non round so will be a bit to get it flush with the pad surface lol

It looks good to me.  once you prime that section you will be able to tell if you are going to have a problem. If it is not to your liking you can sand it after you prime it and you will be able to see any low sections if there are any.

Don't be too down on yourself.  The only way to get better is to try.  Plus, sometimes you learn new tricks by just trying different things.

It looks good to me. once you prime that section you will be able to tell if you are going to have a problem. If it is not to your liking you can sand it after you prime it and you will be able to see any low sections if there are any.

Don't be too down on yourself. The only way to get better is to try. Plus, sometimes you learn new tricks by just trying different things.

Thanks yea I only have a nail file and my exacto kit. You can definitely tell there was something there, I think you won't REALLY know till the was starts having darker areas on the pad haha.

So I bought more base holders to bring me up tom 16. Went to grab my sticky tack from my box, missing. Bum bum baaaaaaaaaaa, so guess it will still only be 4 at a time.

Bought some better water containers these are plastic so shouldn't have problems also cleaning models haha.

Got a ace hardware next door, bum bum baaaaah it's not open yet some kind of delay seems totally stocked for two months now.

———--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------———

Need to figure out the best way to store these guys in my 750 ish sqft apartment which I share with the wife haha!

This should also be mobile and sturdy for when they'd have to go in the shipping container to the next house overseas lol.

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Summary of Day 6:

http://i.imgur.com/b4MyxrBm.jpg

- I cleaned the paint off the 7:10 Tactical marines I am presently painting

- Took a set of xactos and a nail file and scraped off the Symbol of the Dark Angels 

- Primed the miniatures again

Starting Day 7:

- Goals for today is to:

- Base coat them the dark gray

- Mix in a bit of the silver and then give a couple coats of this to retrieve the same effect as the original

- Clean up the black shoulder pads, rifle, aquila and under the boots

- Paint each of the tactical symbols

- Paint their eyes

- Paint the various icons

- Paint the purity seals

For some reason i have a violet wax seal in mind does this seem odd ?

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Looks good to me, and Major_Gilbear earlier said that what he thought I meant was "If you keep them flat grey with the Dark Angels icons, people will keep asking you what Chapter they are supposed to be." That's exactly what I meant.

For the shoulder plates, once you start working on them, you'll know if you are satisfied with the smoothness of your work. If not, just go back to it until you are. It always takes a bit of practice to get things to your liking in this hobby.

Summary of Day 7:

Well, it turns out that I didn't have as much time as i thought i did today! Wife had made some plans for us haha, so here is the end result of day 7.

- Painted 6 of 7 models

- Stripped and cleaned off symbol from 7th

- Painted all the power armor gravler

- Painted shoulder pads black

- Painted the gun black

- Painted the skulls black

- Painted the Tactical symbol black 

Still to do:

- Purity Seals

- Wash

- Highlights

http://i.imgur.com/aIplzzwm.jpg http://i.imgur.com/zvYdR0Cm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qov25Qhm.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/JCQ9l0Vm.jpg

Whilst many people paint their DA Venerable Dreadnoughts as Deathwing, they can still be painted in green to represent a Company Veteran or a Company Master or such.

Thanks :), i figured i'd have a few variations the base gw model could be greenwing but i am thinking of picking up the model from the forge world at some point and they'll be from the 1st or 2nd

If I'm honest, although there is no reason why a Dread couldn't be from the second company, I don't ever remember seeing a model that was.

I guess as the Dreads themselves are not fast attack, they join a different company, and the Marine inside either takes on the new company's colours or reverts to his old company's colours (i.e., his company before he joined the Ravenwing).

If I'm honest, although there is no reason why a Dread couldn't be from the second company, I don't ever remember seeing a model that was.

I guess as the Dreads themselves are not fast attack, they join a different company, and the Marine inside either takes on the new company's colours or reverts to his old company's colours (i.e., his company before he joined the Ravenwing).

>.< invent fast attack dread, seriously though, i'm guessing you would move up not down though from the 2nd company. 

I don't see why not: as long as the Marine is alive, they can still always learn enough to be promoted to Deathwing, and likewise a Dread with some knowledge can always be put into a regular company to 'monitor' his brothers. Edited by Major_Gilbear

I don't see why not: as long as the Marine is alive, they can still always learn enough to be promoted to Deathwing, and likewise a Dread with some knowledge can always be put into a regular company to 'monitor' his brothers.

Also makes sense :)