Guardians of the Covenant (WIP) [Darkn3ss' tale]

Darkn3ssF4lls

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hxG7h_hIIKn.h1VNS_.@_hQJ6whLL1k@ia3hniakk7iakk7hQJ6w@..@_@@_@_@_@__._.iakk7_@@_iakk7_@@_@hbRYghQJ6w@@hQJ6whLL1k@_@iakk7@.__hQJ6wiakk7&

What do you think about this for line companies? Is it too dark overall ?

It looks very Guardians of the Covenant to me. I don't think it is too dark but I suppose we should withhold judgment until we see paint on a model :smile.:

>.< yes, i make no promises got to find a pallet to thin out my paints before I start hehe. My question is on the black, I assume the primer is not "black" in actuality or rather it would be bad form to just have the primer be the shadows and the pads?

It looks very Guardians of the Covenant to me. I don't think it is too dark but I suppose we should withhold judgment until we see paint on a model :smile.:

>.< yes, i make no promises got to find a pallet to thin out my paints before I start hehe. My question is on the black, I assume the primer is not "black" in actuality or rather it would be bad form to just have the primer be the shadows and the pads?

I don't know.  I think it would be okay as long as you put a coat of lacquer over it when you are done.  I imagine it should be just fine.

It looks very Guardians of the Covenant to me. I don't think it is too dark but I suppose we should withhold judgment until we see paint on a model :)

I don't know.  I think it would be okay as long as you put a coat of lacquer over it when you are done.  I imagine it should be just fine.

Hmm, ok that can make things interesting for sure

I like the grey or is it metal?  The power armour color will work well in either grey or metal.  The only think I would change is the skull and wings on the chest to a lighter color so you will get some detail out of it.  You could use Skavenblight Dinge with a Nuln Oil wash followed by some highlighting of Administratum Grey.  Administratum Grey might also work for a base color too for the power armour. 

Hmm, ok that can make things interesting for sure

I use this on my models and miniatures when I am finished with the paint.  The one thing to bear in mind is that this will give everything a flat (as apposed to shiny) look.  If you want things to appear shiny they make a gloss version that is not bad.  I have also used this to protect surfaces when I am done with the paint (it comes out very shiny).  It also makes a good starting surface for applying decals. 

I think I'll need to pick up a varnish I am not sure there's one in my army painter 81 bottles set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HC9YNZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS: looks like it may have a matte varnish in it 

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Ok so self depreciation after first pass, i'm thinking not so awesome so i'd like to know how not so awesome before going back for second pass to fill in spots that were missed. Looking for constructive criticisms such as was the thinning of the paint good? I can see my brush strokes so i assume its to thin?  I believe i'm not supposed to worry about getting areas that shouldn't be gray as you can always go paint over your gray with the right color?

Fire Away: ( should be able to click for bigger pick)

http://i.imgur.com/LiZwB5Am.jpg http://i.imgur.com/GJnkB4Ym.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QwVwUkDm.jpg

I think your paint is still too thick, and that's evident from the way it hasn't worked its way into the details smoothly.

You need to thin your paint a bit more with water - that will make the brush strokes go away, and leave you with nice smooth paint. With thin paint (aim for thin cream or thick milk consistency) you will need to paint two or three (maybe more, depending on the colour) thin layers typically to build up a nice even colour. When applying it, try to keep the layer spread fairly evenly, and avoid letting it pool too much in the cracks/details. Also avoid working the paint too much on the model, or you will be spoiling the coat of paint as it's drying on the model!

If you can see brush marks (as in, physical striations left in the paint), then you're still applying the paint too thick. However, don't mistake poor/patchy coverage for brush marks - they are not the same thing!

Here is an example of painting yellow over black - note how many layers it takes, and how thin the paint looks on each layer until a solid colour is built up. Obviously, whilst each primer/base colour has its advantages and disadvantages, I find that starting with a mid-tone or a colour close-ish to the one I actually want as the main colour helps a lot - not least because I can get away with two thin coats instead of three or four!

thanks, ah think I got there then thought it was too watery then pulled it back.

Do you need simple green stuff at this stage or could I just wash it off with warm water etc?

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

thanks, ah think I got there then thought it was too watery then pulled it back.

Do you need simple green stuff at this stage or could I just wash it off with warm water etc?

Figured it out reset in progress, going to work on tweedle till I get it right

And it's primer, not just paint?

I ask as there is a difference; a thin coat of primer does help the subsequent paint layers to go on smoothly, as well as help paint "stick" better to the model. On the other hand, black paint is just... Well, black paint. :P

And it's primer, not just paint?

I ask as there is a difference; a thin coat of primer does help the subsequent paint layers to go on smoothly, as well as help paint "stick" better to the model. On the other hand, black paint is just... Well, black paint. :P

Well it states primer on the can :P I am no pigmentologist to know for sure ^_^

Ps: not actually sure what that person at the sherwin Williams with the cans spinning is called >.<

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough contrast in that scheme, but seeing it on a model I think it'll work, the grey is juuuuust light enough. The details (squad/company/chapter markings, boltgun casings, eye lenses, etc) should make it pop.

I think your paint is still too thick, and that's evident from the way it hasn't worked its way into the details smoothly.

You need to thin your paint a bit more with water - that will make the brush strokes go away, and leave you with nice smooth paint. With thin paint (aim for thin cream or thick milk consistency) you will need to paint two or three (maybe more, depending on the colour) thin layers typically to build up a nice even colour. When applying it, try to keep the layer spread fairly evenly, and avoid letting it pool too much in the cracks/details. Also avoid working the paint too much on the model, or you will be spoiling the coat of paint as it's drying on the model!

If you can see brush marks (as in, physical striations left in the paint), then you're still applying the paint too thick. However, don't mistake poor/patchy coverage for brush marks - they are not the same thing!

Here is an example of painting yellow over black - note how many layers it takes, and how thin the paint looks on each layer until a solid colour is built up. Obviously, whilst each primer/base colour has its advantages and disadvantages, I find that starting with a mid-tone or a colour close-ish to the one I actually want as the main colour helps a lot - not least because I can get away with two thin coats instead of three or four!

There we go, so i'm thinking the constancy your looking for is lighter than this ? or i applied to much of this to the model. 

http://i.imgur.com/EBeS0MLm.jpg

I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough contrast in that scheme, but seeing it on a model I think it'll work, the grey is juuuuust light enough. The details (squad/company/chapter markings, boltgun casings, eye lenses, etc) should make it pop.

Thanks, now I just need to get my techniques right :smile.:

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

It's hard to tell from the pic, but if you apply it thinly with damp brush (not over-working the paint either), that looks like it should be okay.

Just to note that you don't lose too much (other than time) if you slightly go too thin - it simply takes an extra coat or two to get a nice coverage. If you go too thick though, you can't go back and fix it.