Guardians of the Covenant (WIP) [Darkn3ss' tale]

Darkn3ssF4lls

Well, at least codex wise there aren't any dreads with the Ravenwing special rule, and all Venerable dreads are in the Deathwing.

Have you experienced any issues in local games with say having a venerable paintjob on a non ? or vice a versa ?

Well, at least codex wise there aren't any dreads with the Ravenwing special rule, and all Venerable dreads are in the Deathwing.

Have you experienced any issues in local games with say having a venerable paintjob on a non ? or vice a versa ?

No, I haven't really run into the situation yet.  I have run into folks who paint their Ravenwing green or terminators green and people don't seem to get too bent out of shape over it as long as people are following the rules.  I think that they get more grief form other DA players then anyone else.

So today at class we were working and learning photoshop and I thought to myself a good project could be to make.

- Company banners icon

- Chapter structure outline

My question would be if i make something in the likeness of their product is that copyright infringement or considered fan art?

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

I would say it is fan art since it is not for profit. Copyright infringement is usually called on if you take it and market it as a part of your own product outside of the 40k universe. Since you are planning to stay within the universe established by GW and are not planning on selling your own codex, you should be in the clear. 

I would say it is fan art since it is not for profit. Copyright infringement is usually called on if you take it and market it as a part of your own product outside of the 40k universe. Since you are planning to stay within the universe established by GW and are not planning on selling your own codex, you should be in the clear. 

Thanks :) i want to start working on the first page, get the companies start naming some people get a story and what not haha. 

Haha so i'm sure I have broken a record by basically using a whole can of Primer to complete one squad of Tactical :/

The Record of : Most Wasteful painter in history haha

DAY 8:

After paint day was assaulted by mosquitos i came home and was able to finish this 

- Tactical Marines with Bolters Painted

- Metalic Gravler coat

- Black Shoulder Pads

- Washed

- Purity Seals painted with purple wax [looks pretty sharp]

- Red eyes painted

- Plasma Tactical's cleaned and primered

- Sergeant is cleaned and primered

http://i.imgur.com/RgY0EFIm.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/kGIEnKHm.jpg

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Good progress. :)

Don't worry about being wasteful with paint or glue when learning; better to do and redo (and learn), than to be super-frugal and learn nothing!

I think what those models need next is a few selective and simple edge highlights. This will emphasise some of the sculpted detail a bit better, and improve the model's overall appearance.

Good progress. :smile.:

Don't worry about being wasteful with paint or glue when learning; better to do and redo (and learn), than to be super-frugal and learn nothing!

I think what those models need next is a few selective and simple edge highlights. This will emphasise some of the sculpted detail a bit better, and improve the model's overall appearance.

Thanks major :smile.: i thought about doing the highlights at the end when i've gotten things all assembled. Putting them under the light from say the front and then highlighting that way. That way i keep trucking along and can actually use these tacticals haha.

So i know they changed the bases of the Generic Marine from 25mm - 32mm.

Did they change the base on the terminator? The one on top is the one from the Deathwing that came in the DV Set box, the one on the bottom is the one that came with the Captain in the start collecting Space Marines box.

http://i.imgur.com/ylGzNsrm.jpg

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

They haven't changed the Terminator base size recently (they used to come with 25mm bases also :wacko.:).  The base you are showing looks like a Dreadnought base.  Here is the strange thing.  I have the Start Collecting Space Marine box as well and mine came with the pre-rubled Dreadnought base that comes with the standard dreadnought kit.  What size (in mm) is that base? 

They haven't changed the Terminator base size recently (they used to come with 25mm bases also :wacko.:).  The base you are showing looks like a Dreadnought base.  Here is the strange thing.  I have the Start Collecting Space Marine box as well and mine came with the pre-rubled Dreadnought base that comes with the standard dreadnought kit.  What size (in mm) is that base? 

Ah ok i have that base and the one your talking about too,  the base is 64mm. Maybe i'm mixing up the one that came with the DV set for the helbrute?

PS: That would make sense as i do have a extra one the size of the terminators bases floating around too.:jawdrop:

PPS: Is plasama supposed to be blue or green? I am pretty sure i've seen both floating around.

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Yeah, that's a Dreadnought base.

Also GW's 60mm base is actually 63mm (yeah.... Go figure).

Finally, plasma can be whatever colour you like. I personally use light blue quite often, but I've seen pink/magenta, yellow/amber, light green, light purple, and orange too. (Basically, it's a bit like Star Wars Light Sabres!) However, I have also seen the plasma coils painted in silver to represent a metallic housing on the gun.

Edited by Major_Gilbear

Yeah, that's a Dreadnought base.

Also GW's 60mm base is actually 63mm (yeah.... Go figure).

Finally, plasma can be whatever colour you like. I personally use light blue quite often, but I've seen pink/magenta, yellow/amber, light green, light purple, and orange too. (Basically, it's a bit like Star Wars Light Sabres!) However, I have also seen the plasma coils painted in silver to represent a metallic housing on the gun.

Aha, purple may be it to mach the Purity Seals, could look kewl black gun with purple. 

PS: think i might buy some upgrade sprues, the generic heads seem odd when you think their supposed to be a Dark Angels Successor. I guess i should take a look at some 30k Armor too. Though i guess if alls i want is the heads with the fins etc i could bits them.

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Color Scheme thoughts:

1st: "name"

• 30k style 1st legion colors?
  • White icons when i can freehand
  • Red Robes
  • Purple Wax
  • Bone Seals

2nd: "name"

• Black Bikes
  • White icons when i can free hand
  • Purple Wax
  • Bone Seals
  • Armor like below?

3rd - 10th: Clear from my presntation

• Gravler Armor
  • Black Pads
  • White Icon when i can free hand
  • Bone color Purity Seals
  • Purple wax

What do you all think of this? 

So basically:

All black - 1st Co

Black/silver - 2nd Co

All silver - 3rd-10th Cos

Sounds pretty good to me! :smile.:

Awesome, haha now i got to figure out what mess i just made by unspruing my devastator the same way i did with DV :/. I think the course of action would be to assemble each weapon system separate from the marine so they can just attach?

Haha,  why do videos like this make me look away and go hide in a corner instead of inspire me to do great things! Was watching it while piecing together my DV guys and cleaning off the pieces of sprue still on the individual pieces.  It definitely shows me i need to get better with the brush and I need to buy a bunch of this cork haha!

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Day 1 - Raven Wing Bikers

Haha, i didn't read the instructions last night and put the wings on before the arm and handle bars haha. I had to cut their poor handle bar off and then glue the arms in the correct position. On top of that! haha i had put the bike totally together and had to take the peg off their torso piece haha.

71813646.jpg

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

If you shave the torso pegs down a bit, it lets you paint the torsos separately from the bikes and then glue them in afterwards. :smile.:

hehe doh, i thought about that but just cut them off, i am going to paint them separately. just should't have put the bottom together after midnight last night haha

What do you all think about this primer for the gray guys? its so annoying that the ACE next door is still not open yet haha. I need to refill on primer and so figured I would get black and a gray. I'll be doing alot of  counts as "DW" for sure and alot of counts as "RW". 

https://amzn.com/B00OQ820JG

I used it once, its pretty much an equivalent to ledbelcher from citadel range.

I guess its what I would use to basecoat Guardian of the covenant quickly.

although, spray paint is the best way to clog details, be carefull!

Edited by BlackTriton

I used it once, its pretty much an equivalent to ledbelcher from citadel range.

I guess its what I would use to basecoat Guardian of the covenant quickly.

although, spray paint is the best way to clog details, be carefull!

I have found this to be true first hand (the clogging of details that is).  I used spray primer from a rattle can for years, and was shocked at how much better even a cheap air brush can lay down a thin even coat of primer.  I have moved to almost exclusively using primer sprayed from an air brush.  I know that is not an option for everyone though.

You can get good results from a spray can though, just be careful about overdoing it.