Guardians of the Covenant (WIP) [Darkn3ss' tale]

Darkn3ssF4lls

Green stuff is a two-part epoxy putty manufactured by a company called Polyneric Systems Inc under the brand name Kneadatite Duro.

I usually comes as a one or three foot long ribbon, but is also available in a pack containing two separate sticks of yellow and blue. This is the "best" format to buy it in IMO.

GW re-brand and re-sell Kneadatite in 6"(?) packs at a hefty markup.

A popular alternative to greenstuff is a putty called ProCreate by Kraftmark. It's quite similar, but is grey and some people find it easier to work with.

For simple filling of hollow areas, I would recommend Milliput Standard Yellow Grey, as I mentioned earlier. It feels much more like clay, is much cheaper, and cures much harder which makes more suitable for drilling and pinning into.

Green stuff is a two-part epoxy putty manufactured by a company called Polyneric Systems Inc under the brand name Kneadatite Duro.

I usually comes as a one or three foot long ribbon, but is also available in a pack containing two separate sticks of yellow and blue. This is the "best" format to buy it in IMO.

GW re-brand and re-sell Kneadatite in 6"(?) packs at a hefty markup.

A popular alternative to greenstuff is a putty called ProCreate by Kraftmark. It's quite similar, but is grey and some people find it easier to work with.

For simple filling of hollow areas, I would recommend Milliput Standard Yellow Grey, as I mentioned earlier. It feels much more like clay, is much cheaper, and cures much harder which makes more suitable for drilling and pinning into.

Awesome, thanks Major, I will go shopping for some of that this weekend will come in handy if i want to make guys have poses haha

so what do you all think about this?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Strikeforce-Ultima

Is the only thing not useable the stormhawk? or with some bits can it be converted into a unique nephelem ?

PS: best way to get more robes?

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

The Dark Angels Veterans kit (five fully-robed marines), or buy the tabards from the Black Templar upgrade sprue from ebay/buts seller. :smile.:

Makes sense i'll have to get a bunch of vets then :/ they only come in a box of 5 though yea?

The Dark Angels Veterans kit (five fully-robed marines), or buy the tabards from the Black Templar upgrade sprue from ebay/buts seller. :smile.:

Makes sense i'll have to get a bunch of vets then :/ they only come in a box of 5 though yea?

Yep, boxes of five.

Be warned that they are older models too, so things like mouldines are more pronounced, and details are less crisp/sharp than the newer plastic kits. I still like the models though, and the kit comes with plenty of other nice DA-themed embellishment details. :)

Yep, boxes of five.

Be warned that they are older models too, so things like mouldines are more pronounced, and details are less crisp/sharp than the newer plastic kits. I still like the models though, and the kit comes with plenty of other nice DA-themed embellishment details. :smile.:

Aha, i'm still torn between just painting the DA stuff [aka the raven wing and deathwing iconography and then taking off the ones on the regulars] and just taking them all off and coming up with my own. That would require some how making a mold and using green stuff  i'd assume. 

http://i.imgur.com/N6JwRqfl.jpg

On this Dreadnought, for torso movement [ascetics i know the model has to actually move] would you use a 1/8th inch or a 1/32th inch magnet ? I'm leaning the bigger one. I used the bigger one on the feet to hold it to the base. Where normally I've been using a 1/32nd in the feet on the troops and then a 1/8th underneath to secure it in place under the base. 

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Why are you magnetising the feet to the base?

As for the waist, I suppose a bigger magnet would be more useful; again though, I'm not sure what you're gaining here?

The main things to consider magnetising are the arms (so that you can swap the weapons around), and any upgrade options that would likely be modelled-on (like flamer/stormbolter). You can also consider putting magnets under the base if you plan to carry your models in a toolbox or such rather than a foam-lined case.

Edited by Major_Gilbear

As for the waist, I suppose a bigger magnet would be more useful; again though, I'm not sure what you're gaining here?

The main things to consider magnetising are the arms (so that you can swap the weapons around), and any upgrade options that would likely be modelled-on (like flamer/stormbolter). You can also consider putting magnets under the base if you plan to carry your models in a toolbox or such rather than a foam-lined case.

Why wouldn't you magnetize feet to bases ? when their off the base their much easier to put into something then if they have a giant circle underneath them.

PS: I pulled the idea for the waist magnet was just kinda narrative esc wouldn't have served a true purpose. 

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

I have the feeling that you're overthinking it all tbh. Elmo would probably disagree, but magnetising everything isn't always a good thing. The dreadnought for example. I would prefer a dreadnought glued into a satisfying pose instead of a model that comes apart everytime you try to pick it up. You can argue that it makes storage easier, but I've never had any problems with dreads. Sergeants with powerswords though.... And I feel like you're tackling to much in one go. I'd finish the stuff you have right now before considering the Strikeforce Ultima.

Why wouldn't you magnetize feet to bases ? when their off the base their much easier to put into something then if they have a giant circle underneath them.

Fair enough!

I don't consider the squat and solid volume of the Dread to "waste" much space on the base (as in, assuming the base represents the bottom of a vertical cylinder, the Dread fills the cylinder fairly well), but I see your point if space it at a particular premium. :)

I have the feeling that you're overthinking it all tbh. Elmo would probably disagree, but magnetising everything isn't always a good thing. The dreadnought for example. I would prefer a dreadnought glued into a satisfying pose instead of a model that comes apart everytime you try to pick it up. You can argue that it makes storage easier, but I've never had any problems with dreads. Sergeants with powerswords though.... And I feel like you're tackling to much in one go. I'd finish the stuff you have right now before considering the Strikeforce Ultima.

I can agree with you on the tackling a giant force. My arguement apposeing that issue is this:

- I am presently in a place with easy access to the models

- In roughly eight months I will be in a place where potentially the YEN will make it really expensive to collect for the next three years. 

- I would rather be able to play and paint as I am able then have 4-5 painted units but not be able to play because the local store/club plays bigger games. 

Fair enough!

I don't consider the squat and solid volume of the Dread to "waste" much space on the base (as in, assuming the base represents the bottom of a vertical cylinder, the Dread fills the cylinder fairly well), but I see your point if space it at a particular premium. :smile.:

I dunno if i would say that the space is a premium. Weight weight is at a premium, but thats not positively effected by magnetization :tongue.:.  What I am facing right now is how to store and move these guys. Right now I have them all assembled on a mat but i'll have to start using that mat again, my other mat sat for a week under a textbook and some others but never came to flat, slowly it gets its concaved form back.  I thought about using a old luggage and stuffing it with foam then cutting the spots out of the foam for the models. That got vetoed and the luggage donated haha. 

Edited by Darkn3ssF4lls

Fair enough, those are some solid reasons. I just tried to prevent the growth of 'The depressing pile of grey plastic'. I placed myself in the same position once, and painting those guys up become a chore instead of a hobby. 

Yea, haha i feel you, and thank you for that. I do look at them and go man it would be nice if i would crack open those paints. My goal is to assemble all the guys, dread is the second to last unit. I have to assemble the torsos of the new tactical squad tonight. Already have them selected, left me with a extra set of feet that I could potentially either make another devastator out of or another assault. (not at home but if i recall it leans more towards assault as its one of thouse raise knee ones).

After the bodies are all assembled then I will first finish my vow for the event, probably Tuesday. Then I have to figure out all these weapons bits so that I can play on Saturday at one of the local events. 

On the Assaults, does anyone actually use ground based assaults? Is it worth magnetizing the backpack to swap?

I might drop the packs if they use a Landraider, but not for much else. I wouldn't magnetise though. I just tell my opponent that they don't have the packs. He'll be happy to remind you throughout the game.

I recognise my assault guys faster with their huge pack on their backs.

I might drop the packs if they use a Landraider, but not for much else. I wouldn't magnetise though. I just tell my opponent that they don't have the packs. He'll be happy to remind you throughout the game.

Makes sense too

Makes sense too

"Yeah, the packs are out of fuel... So they're walking today."

"Okay men, we'll have to choose. Drop the Prometheum in our flamers to purge the heretics, or put in our jumppacks to crush the heretics."

"Aw sarge, do we have to choose?"

"Yes, brother Carl. The 1st company got their new toys this year, so we are working with the budgetcuts. So because of those bastards in bone, we're either walking and burning, or flying and squashing. Make up your minds!"

*Collective sigh*     Aaaaaaaaaw maaaaaaaan     *Collective sigh*

Most heavy weapons need specific packs due to ammo feeds and such that match up with them. Magnetising heavy weapons is therefore more hassle than it's worth IMO.

Some heavy weapons - namely Missile Launchers and Heavy Bolters - have versions that have ammo clips on the weapons themselves, and these you can use a normal backpack on if you prefer because they have no ammo feeds and cables running back to the pack.