Battle damage on Ceramite

I'm trying to figure out how to mark my World Eaters with battle damage on unpainted white ceramite but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to achieve this. I've heard there is another type of way to do chips and gouges by painting darker markers which appear to look like shadows but I've never seen a guide on this technique. Any recommendations on doing battle damage on white/off white armor? 

You could try using some grey paint dabbed on with a small peice of torn sponge, and the use pure white to highlight the bottoms of the grey chips. A good explanation by Sigur can be seen in his tutorial here. If you search for the technique on Google, you'll find *loads* of examples. :)

Light grey, dark grey and silver metallics are all good go-tos for battle damage on white armor. You could also use a light brown if you used a brown for shading recesses.

White is also a prime candidate for mud and blood splatter as well, so pick appropriate colors/materials for that and you can go nuts as well.

I'll also echo Major_Gilbear, a small bit of sponge gives a good chipping effect on the smaller models, like Marines. You can vary the size of the chips and the distance between them by using different types of sponge. I like the sponge that used to come in the blister packs for smaller, tighter together chips, and chip more along the edges of armor plates where the paint is likely to get worn.

I don't know if I'm just using the wrong bit of foam or maybe if I needs to cut the foam instead of bend it to create an edge but whenever I've used foam it ends up look more like mud stains than chipping.

Since ceramite isn't metallic I don't think i'll be using any sort of metallic colors. Maybe I just need to use some greys to make it appear there is depth.

Depends on the effect you want really... Like with most of these things that have a random element to them, there is an element of trial and error involved, and some practice on a spare primed base is therefore advisable.

Did you follow the link in my original post?

Archived