Unit of the Week - Bonus: Fortifications

Aqui

I love an Imperial Bastion with Quad gun, Canoness, and a squad of Ret's. Sometimes with a second CAD set up I will throw Uriah Jacobson in there for extra rending. My recent kill stuff and break things 2k list has Inquisitor Coteaz as well, helps against the free drop pods I have been seeing lately.

I have plans to do a Sacred Rose all on foot force heavy with retributors, a couple of bastions and a defense line, seems fun.

For 75 points, my canoness and 4 heavy bolter Command Squad can ride around in a Repressor. BUT - for nearly the same number of points, they can establish a forward position in a bunker with an ammo dump. It's obviously dependent on play style and the main objective of the game being played, as one is mobile and the other is not, but I have always had great fun using the bunker. 

I have wanted to try out a set of promethium relay pipes, but have yet to have the chance...

I don't know . . . I've heard of using the quad gun that comes with the Aegis Defence Line with a Canoness and a HB command squad. Sounds interesting, and some of the only AA we have available.

This is how I have run it many times. Spread out the ADL so you get as much saves as you need, park ADL on slightly back objective, put defensive canoness on it and start popin them aircraft. Her high BS gives great results, and decent shots vs ground targets if nothing is in the air. To compliment, add the Celestine Command Squad with heavy bolters and a hospitaller, make the Canoness your Warlord, and start blasting. Don't clump up of course in case they get some blasts in, but I love it.

I have enough exorcists to make ranged threats real (love 48" range), and I also run two dominion squads and an IK Paladin to keep the heat on. Assuming no IK, the heavy bolters in the CCS keep things getting too close, and they have good range so can keep the heat on as well.

One last option I have used, is ADL+Quadgun and the Vindicare Assassin. Park'em all in the back on a slight elevation, opposite where your main forces are. Trail ADL as far as you need to still gain from it, and go to town with shots.

I've always been curious, what is it about heavy bolter Command Squads that so many people like? On paper, I don't see any benefit they have over Retributors. Is it just that they don't take up a HS slot, thus allowing you to take more Exorcists/Rets/Penitents?

Also, back on topic: I've had a degree of success with an Aegis line and quad gun for my Rets. Not only does the rending AOF transfer over to the quad gun, but it also gives me some degree of anti-air firepower. The only drawback is the line itself can get in the way of my tanks, which is one of the reasons why I can see a bastion being preferable.

I've always been curious, what is it about heavy bolter Command Squads that so many people like? On paper, I don't see any benefit they have over Retributors. Is it just that they don't take up a HS slot, thus allowing you to take more Exorcists/Rets/Penitents?

I think that's the main thing yes, also, there is a fifth heavy bolter slot in the command squad.

I also use the ADL as stated above, and like the new containers/ammo/fuel boxed set as it gives a bit of everything .

Both of those: extra heavy bolter and full set of three exorcists. Though I favor four HBolters+hospitaller as it sits in the back with canoness tanking wounds. It is a tough call and I often wonder if that fifth HBolter wouldn't have helped more. Grrrr, decision! Sometimes I just want to take a second CAD or Ally to use everything.

I use the bastion quite regularly. Have the bits incoming to trade in my standard one for a more appropriately churchy bastion.

It works well for me with a tank canoness, heavy bolter rets and various combinations of Uriah, sometimes Coteaz. Depending on the flavor of list I am running it can get quite expensive and I usually use it as a defense against drop pods/deep striking type alpha strikes vs my parking lot of sisters vehicles.

Though this is mostly as an adaptation to leaving my exorcists at home in favor of double CAD 6 dominion squad builds. Doesnt always make it in the list, but I do enjoy it.

Bastions make a good spot for counter assault units to protect your back lines and a shooty unit on top. If the enemy get too close, out come the assault unit to kill them :p

Void shields can help with survivability, though not always worth the points. When I think about it, I've never seen a building get destroyed in a game.

Bastions make a good spot for counter assault units to protect your back lines and a shooty unit on top. If the enemy get too close, out come the assault unit to kill them tongue.png

Void shields can help with survivability, though not always worth the points. When I think about it, I've never seen a building get destroyed in a game.

Hum . . . I think the only time I've ever played in a game with buildings was Apocalypse. I think someone destroyed a bastion tongue.png

There's usually just better, squishier targets, I suppose.

Archived