Sons of the XV - 30k & 40k Thousand Sons Showcase

Skits

Hello everyone! This thread will be where I post pics of my finished models (and the occasional piece of art!). Most of it will be 30k and 40k Thousand Sons, but will also include the occasional piece from other armies, just because. :biggrin.:

So here we go! To start off with, here's one of my earlier centrepiece models, and one I'm still very proud and fond of. Introducing Niu, a Forgeworld Thousand Sons dreadnought.

med_gallery_93430_12331_609821.png med_gallery_93430_12331_896849.png

His arms are magnetised for weapon swapping, and his head and waist are also magnetised for posing purposes. His feet/bases are also magnetised so I can switch out bases depending on what I feel like that day. XD His tabard and scarabs/chain were one of my first attempts at sculpting with greenstuff.

There are a bunch more pictures of him in my album, so click the pics to browse through them, and please let me know what you think! :biggrin.:

@SickSix: Thank you! :biggrin.: And yeah, I was really disappointed when Forgeworld took down all those Chaos boxnaughts from the site. :sad.: Makes me grateful I picked up mine when I did. We can only hope they'll come back even better at some point in the future!

The next project I did after that dreadnought was this squad of terminators:

med_gallery_93430_12331_314207.png

Scratch-built the pauldrons and modified the helmets with plasticard and greenstuff, built the glaive blades out of plasticard, and added the tabards and detailing with greenstuff. The bases are also made out of greenstuff. These guys were my first major modification project, and I'm still pretty pleased with how they came out!

Some individual shots:

med_gallery_93430_12331_220879.png

med_gallery_93430_12331_639854.png

med_gallery_93430_12331_534795.png

med_gallery_93430_12331_404499.png

med_gallery_93430_12331_445831.png

I hope you like them!

• 1 month later...

@Major_Gilbear: Hehehe, magnets make EVERYTHING better! :wink:

So here's a few more things I've done in the past:

Deimos Rhino:

med_gallery_93430_12332_381692.png

med_gallery_93430_12332_719325.png

Contemptor Dreadnought, customised with greenstuff and plasticard, and with magnetised shoulders, elbows, head, and waist:

med_gallery_93430_12332_199316.png med_gallery_93430_12332_88461.png

Landspeeder Storm:

med_gallery_93430_12332_435485.png

med_gallery_93430_12332_267078.png

And something more recent that I've only just gotten around to photographing - the 2016 Imperial Space Marine!

med_gallery_93430_12332_349224.png

med_gallery_93430_12332_372094.png

Once again, more pics are in the linked gallery - let me know what you think! :biggrin.:

@Zeller: Thanks! And nope, none of the stuff I've posted here so far has used an airbrush! I HAVE one, but I find it's such a pain to clean and maintain that so far I've really only used it to base a Shadowsword and a couple of scimitar jetbikes. Which I should probably finish at some point but oh well.

@The Psycho: Ahh thank you, I'm glad I was able to do your fav model justice! :D And yeah, dang, I did the Rhino and Contemptor back in like 2012, cripes. Bit of a difference between then and now, hey? XD

@Graymane: That's high praise indeed, thank you! I'll most likely be getting the box set with Sons vs Wolves when it drops later this year, so there's a good chance I'll eventually be painting a Space Wolf or three, which should be more to your tastes! ;)

... Unless of course I decide to turn them all into basing components, muahahaha. ¬_¬

Finally got around to photographing this guy! So here he is - the Forgeworld Legion Praetor Tribune, in Tartaros Terminator armour, done up as a Librarian in pre-Heresy Thousand Sons livery. Whew, what a mouthful!

med_gallery_93430_12332_485576.png

med_gallery_93430_12332_568045.png

med_gallery_93430_12332_396839.png

More pics in the album, as usual. Please let me know what you think! :D

@Major_Gilbear: Thank you, much appreciated! :D

@GreyRavenC: Hah, I didn't even know there was a limit to how many posts you could like in a day. I feel special now (and I have learned a thing)! Thank you! :D

• 3 months later...

@Brother Ophamion: Thank you! I'm so pleased with the positive feedback that cloak's been getting!

And now, update time! I finished Geigor Fell-Hand and got him photographed pretty quickly for once, just in time for the launch of Inferno!

854711_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854712_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854713_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854714_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854715_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854716_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854717_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

854718_sm-Burning%20Of%20Prospero%2C%20G

Let me know what you think! :biggrin.:

Very nice work!

If I may be bold enough to offer a couple of small critisms:

- I think the drybrushed Ahriman base is a little rough and may need some smoothing.

- I think the hair on the SW could do with a few "light reflection" highlights, as it looks a bit plastic.

Otherwise, I am suitably impressed! :D

@Major_Gilbear: Thank you! And thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated! :D I totally see what you mean with Ahriman's base - it could definitely use a bit more smoothing out around the rim there, but atm it also generally matches the rest of my 30k Sons army basing. I've always had plans to make a snow board to display them on - if I ever get around to it, I'll most likely tidy up all the bases to better blend in with it once I can actually see how everything looks together.

As for Geigor's hair, I agree! The washes I was using on it made it look hella shiny (I find myself wondering if I accidentally used a gloss wash, oops), and I couldn't for the life of me get the highlights looking right at the time. I tried some medium over it to dull down the shine, but it's still shinier than I'd like. I may get around to fixing it one day, but ugh, so many models, so little time!

@SickSix: Thank you! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The galaxy on Ahriman's cloak is just spectacular work, I particularly like that you shifted color as you went around the spiral, keeps it interesting, draws attention to the detail and makes it look more Tzeentchian!