+ Ultramar Battle Muster - Painting Challenge +

Dosjetka

Have a small update on my vow. I've got the Vigilator, 2 Veterans and the Hound all painted up!

I decided to give the marines a black stripe going down their helmet to show some sort of veteran status, and to make them stand out from the other marines in my army.

http://i.imgur.com/ruXnJ2w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0YGlrkU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bfSbndF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T2IuN9s.jpg

Tried to make the hound look like a rottweiler. Not sure if I completely achieved it but I'm happy with the outcome!

This is where the Kill Team stands so far!

http://i.imgur.com/BHM53cq.jpg

Still need to buy some Ultramarine decals for them all!

James

I, deusmex, proud member of the Ultramarines, do swear to fully paint 2 Tactical Squads by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.

For Guilliman and the Emperor! Courage and Honour!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/Ultra%20Marines/um%20tac6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/Ultra%20Marines/um%20tac5.jpg

This lot should finish my company and from then on its all gravy, and tanks...... mostly tank tbh.

Vow 1 Complete!

29583364385_6d03e67d64.jpgWP_20160910_14_33_29_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr
Un-named Terminator squad

29473498922_0f6ed8da15.jpgWP_20160910_14_39_27_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr
Honourable Aberecon, 3rd Dreadnought of the 223rd, freehanded the name on the scrollwork too, very smug about that

28959746943_de62fdf281.jpgWP_20160910_14_33_07_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr
Captain Phraen Alphoesus of the 2nd company

And fluff!

Report on the founding of the 223rd Ultramarines sucessor chapter Part 1

(Torn up scraps of manuscript found in disposal. Content points to being dated after the incident at the unknown forge/industrial planet 223-24)
scrap one

++Script begins++

(Note to self: Personal note left for future reference. Not to be included in broadcast. Do not destroy)

++Audio only section++ (PN: previous images as a backdrop)
Another great victory for the marines of the 223rd! (Personal Note: Must ask how that name came about, content for a future edition?) Decendants of the proud Ultramarines, our 'Spearhead of Ultramar' (PN: a nomer I attached as an alternative), proud crusaders of our great lord Roboute Guilliman.
Recently I had seen first hand the very site that victory had been achieved against the foul greenskin invaders and can now bring you sights you could never seen aboard our vessel (PN: I've seen quite a few but nothing has came close to this so far). I had the honour of travelling in one of the mighty Land Raiders along with the honourable Phraen Alphoesus, Captain of the second company along with members of the first company (PN: six Cataphractii armoured marines did not leave much room, not very talkative and the incessant jolting of the vehicle could not give a decent shot of the captain as he sat quietly, entranced). From what I've gathered, the area we are travelling to has already been cleared of greenskin prescence leaving it free for us to show you the corpse of the greenskin warlord. (PN: It was not completely safe, a few of the greens were playing corpse and more managed to wander back into the area. Vid capture of the conflict and aftermath is separate, had to clean the marines before vid capture) The honourable dreadnought Aberecon is waiting at our drop off which will prove to be a treat for you viewers. It's been twenty seven years since he was last awoken and his heroic accomplishments already prove to be popular stories. I must say that I am eagerly anticipating the moment I meet the legend himself.

Scrap two
(PN: When we did stop the captain did voice his displeasure at my coming along stating it 'a waste of time and resources', I can't not come, thing like this need documenting. The people aboard the ship need to see what this is all about, what they do and why and too much has been forgotten. Not much of a talker, Issuing short commands, "put your rebreather on", "Wait Penn", "proceed") The Honourable Aberecon stands over there, keeping watch. Veteran of hundreds of battles and a relic from earlier times. He's a living library of knowledge of previous incarnations of the chapter and will only impart his knowledge to a chosen few. No doubt faithful viewers will remember the edition detailing his triumphs.

Scrap three
What you can see is the industrial architectual magnificance of a factorum district, no doubt a primary target for the invaders, righteously denied (PN: Tall rusty metal buildings, stretching into and disapperaing in a dirty ochre sky, I'm ashamed to admit I had to sit down to let the nausea pass. Honourable Aberecon (formerly Dandian Aberec) noticed and made some mocking remark of a filled rebreather (highly toxic atmosphere caused by manufactorum destruction) followed by , as hard to believe as it is for something more machine and prone to sleeping for decades, a metallic chuckle! Humourable Indeed!). The damage caused in this conflict is clear indication of the need to eradicate this menace and even now we have citizens assisting in the clean up of the district. (PN: edit out capture of human casualties), a clear example of the endurance of the Imperium we serve. (PN: Play down the threat of the orkoids. We can't have morale among the crew dipping to a low)
(No other scraps relate to these assembled here)

(New assembly of matching scraps)

Scrap one
Aberecon Imparted some history to me today and it does clear up some bits. We sat in one the holds of the ship (Those contemptors are undeniable unrestrictive in movement, a Castraferrum could never do that and it did look oddly humourous seeing him on an oversized seat) and he went over the founding of the chapter away from the others. Turns out it started off as a couple of Captains from the original 22nd and 23rd chapters among some newly risen captains with fresh initiates from various reserve companies.

Scrap two
His mentionings of Alphoesus paint him as a level headed commander which I suppose make him standard fare, nothing particularly interesting. Happiest with a firm plan set in motion and focusing on the present moment and the next few hundred ahead.
It seems that he's familiar with the Penn family name. He hints at his previous battles with direct quotes from those used in the relevant publications covered by my great grandsire. I can't help but get the feeling he's mocking me.

(No more scraps relate to these assembled here)
Information does not corroborate with confirmed knowledge. Either a fabrication on Penn's part or Aberecon is steering Penn away from the truth, whatever it is we are no closer to any evidence of the founding of the chapter. All we can say is that it is from a founding after the second and somehow distantly connected to the companies of the original 22nd chapter of the ultramarines legion and perhaps others. Without any clear descriptions of the structure of the legion, it is extremely difficult to even know where to begin and from information available and the willingness of the space marines to divulge it to us, it is possible that we're not meant to know the circumstances of the chapter.
From the evidence shown, elements of the veteran company are presented. Ultramarines symbology is in use however the use of black as a colour goes against the standard protocol of company colours described by the codex astartes, perhaps chapter colour?

So that's 1 vehicle and 1000 words of fluff for a vow, maybe a bigger vow next to make fluff writing easier and bump up the vehicle and model count.

+ List updated. +

And we have our first completion, ladies and gents! Congrats obsidian quacker; I look forward to seeing your next vow! :tu:

Wulox: You've got some gorgeous models there, brother. I'm jealous! What's your recipe for blue?

Very nice vows/progress so far all. Looking forward to seeing more!

stunning! thumbsup.gif subdued but stunning!

I love darker themed Ultras myself,and is what I shoot for with my models.

Love the pup to. Were is it from?

Many thanks, I much prefer my minis being a bit more dirty/gritty looking as I find it easier to paint! tongue.png

The hound is from the FW Event only Imperial Enforcer, can normally find him on ebay for about £15.

+ List updated. +

And we have our first completion, ladies and gents! Congrats obsidian quacker; I look forward to seeing your next vow! thumbsup.gif

Wulox: You've got some gorgeous models there, brother. I'm jealous! What's your recipe for blue?

Cheers! I can't take credit for the blue as I stole it from here:

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/kaelo-pre-heresy-ultramarine-paints.html

However I add a bit more drakenhoff nightshade to the mix in mine.

James

1: Librarian in Cataphractii Terminator Armour (Power/Force Axe, Lightning Claw + Flame Spiral of Death)

Kenny

I love that you're using that model for an Ultramarine librarian. I like to remind people that even chapters with a more goody-goody reputation are still 7 foot tall angry killing machines. That librarian does that to a T. Looking forward to seeing him in his full glory along with the rest. :)

1: Librarian in Cataphractii Terminator Armour (Power/Force Axe, Lightning Claw + Flame Spiral of Death)

Kenny

I love that you're using that model for an Ultramarine librarian. I like to remind people that even chapters with a more goody-goody reputation are still 7 foot tall angry killing machines. That librarian does that to a T. Looking forward to seeing him in his full glory along with the rest. smile.png

Exactly! Even Ultramarine librarians can create flame vortex's of death =). Although his face is very chaotic... will admit its giving me some difficulty trying to get a result im happy with, but hey, ive vowed him now and none shall find me wanting!

Can't wait to see more of the others vows as well, some fantastic looking Ultra's out there already =)

Kenny

Man I love your black helmets. Never would have thought of it but they look great.

Thank you! The blue and black is a "borrowed" idea from Brother-Captain Arkhan! If you haven't seen his Ultras, you should check them out: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/308809-a-lesser-son-of-greater-fathers-on-the-shoulders-of-giants/

A lot of inspirational work in his log!

I've also managed to get another guy finished today! 

Unlike the others, his bolter is painted fully metallic because it was originally a RG bolter but had the symbol removed, but it was a bit messy looking.

http://i.imgur.com/3AuYFum.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WBieFnD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0aQNpiG.jpg

I am well on my way to almost finishing my first vow now. This is given me a proper kick up the backside to get painting, so once this is done expect a much a larger vow!

Hope you like, and comments/criticism are always appreciated! 

James

You're on fire, Wulox! Really looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us! :tu:

What about the rest of you? Any progress to share withthe rest of us? :)

I've nearly finished the Servitors. I tried to post a picture but my computer hates me. I'll have another go tomorrow.

You're on fire, Wulox! Really looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us! thumbsup.gif

What about the rest of you? Any progress to share withthe rest of us? smile.png

well....I've been recovering from a rather severe and debilitating version of the stomach flue....so I haven't had much stamina for painting in the evenings

But I'm on the upswing so hopefully I can get over the hobby bump the illness created.

So here's my finished first vow:

UBM2016  1   Complete

Technically they'll be getting some patches of snow on the bases at some point, but for all intents and purposes they are finished. I'm saving up for 20-30 models or so to do the snow all at once.

The blacklining is a little sloppy as my new pen is somehow wetter than ones I've used in the past. I still think it saves a lot of time and gives plenty of definition for tabletop minis.

I'm just undercoating my second vow now so stay tuned.

I hope nobody minds the double post but I wanted the new vow in it's own post. Mods feel free to merge if you disagree.

I, Techmarine Harkus, proud member of the Ultramarines, do swear to fully paint nine space marine scouts armed with boltguns and one armed with a heavy bolter, by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.

For Guilliman and the Emperor! Courage and Honour!

UBM2016   2   Start

(click for larger version with hardly any detail visible due to contrast)

Cheeky fella in the bottom left is the sergeant's head mounted on some cork because obviously he is going to have a red helmet and blue armour so I thought I might as well keep them separate. The heads are from Pig Iron if anyone is interested. I think they fit the aethetic just fine and are a load better than the sculpts GW saw fit for the scout box. Plus I believe in protecting one's cranium, even if you're a lowly scout.

Archived