+ Ultramar Battle Muster - Painting Challenge +

Dosjetka

Righto, here's a couple of WIP pics of the Servitors:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/Razzrojo/8e33783b-858b-49e9-bc0a-64f8ea59ff72.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/Razzrojo/8204eec7-d946-4e28-a645-75a641e1ae16.jpg

[http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/Razzrojo/5998812a-36ed-40ac-9681-2906d6d795e4.jpg

I love the work that's been posted so far! deusmex, you must be getting pretty close to your Company of Marines now.  Wulox's Kill Team is looking pretty wicked, Harkus' sweet 2nd ed style marines are cool, Lord Drakon's huge vow, it's all great stuff.  Keep it up guys!

I love the work that's been posted so far! deusmex, you must be getting pretty close to your Company of Marines now.  Wulox's Kill Team is looking pretty wicked, Harkus' sweet 2nd ed style marines are cool, Lord Drakon's huge vow, it's all great stuff.  Keep it up guys!

When i finish these 20 tacticals the company is done troops wise.

kinda...

I still want to add some more scouts and possibly a bike squad and the final 5 terminators.

After that its the fun stuff like Vindicators predators and whirlwinds , oh my.

Im not sure you ever finish when you build a Company of Marines , but there will be a gap between any other additions as i have 2 other chapters to finish plus the Inquisition.

I like Marines what can i say....

For the Emprah n stuff.

The skin tone on those Servitors looks nice and sickly, perfect for cyborg slaves.

It's good to see lots of pictures still being posted of WiPs.and the first completions starting to roll in. We're beginning to hit the period where the initial excitement can wear off and complacency can set in. Don't let it! Keep painting, even if it's just a little at a time and keep posting those awesome updates :).

I have a quick question regarding vows as one of the rules states that once made, a vow can't be changed. I vowed to paint an apothecary but then discovered I can't paint white very well and ruined the original model I was going to use. Is it within the rules to substitute in a new apothecary as long as I post a before pic for him?

James

So I noticed a slight contradiction in the wording of the rules section:

Once your vow has been posted, you may start painting your models until they are finished.

• You may only start painting once your vow has been posted and approved by one of the event Custodians (@Dosjetka and @Toxichobbit);

So as a result of skim reading I have smashed out my second vow pretty much straight after posting the starting photo. Hopefully that's ok because I'm not gonna start over msn-wink.gif. Some clarification on whether or not we should be waiting on approval would be appreciated.

In the mean time, here's my finished scouts!

UBM2016   2   Complete

I've done the snow this time because their bases looked too plain to leave. There is room for more edge highlighting and layering on these but they fit my table top standard nicely. This is actually the first unit in my army to have both its Ultramarine decals and squad number on there. I bought these guys about a year ago so this event has already been an amazing sucess in inspiring me to get on with hobby. It's been great seeing other people's minis and progress.

Just a question. How are we on using counts as models? As let's say I've bought a corvus blackstar or two, filed down the inquisition symbols and filled in the panels of writing, could I use them as stormravens with the appropriate options? Just that I may have took my time preparing them for the second vow.

Like a blackstar pattern stormraven? I just want to paint them blue.

Well I bought them thinking the doors on the front were rhino doors and I could just get some forgeworld ultramarine doors, slap them out and bob's (bob is short for Robert and then Roboute... eh? Eh?) your primarch! But no, they're a single panel with the lights.

I have a quick question regarding vows as one of the rules states that once made, a vow can't be changed. I vowed to paint an apothecary but then discovered I can't paint white very well and ruined the original model I was going to use. Is it within the rules to substitute in a new apothecary as long as I post a before pic for him?

James

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're changing one Apothecary for another Apothecary and provide pics of the unpainted/undercoated model before starting. White is a PITA to paint, I feel your pain.

So I noticed a slight contradiction in the wording of the rules section:

Once your vow has been posted, you may start painting your models until they are finished.

• You may only start painting once your vow has been posted and approved by one of the event Custodians (@Dosjetka and @Toxichobbit);

So as a result of skim reading I have smashed out my second vow pretty much straight after posting the starting photo. Hopefully that's ok because I'm not gonna start over msn-wink.gif. Some clarification on whether or not we should be waiting on approval would be appreciated.

I don't think it will be a problem. You provided a pic of the Scouts when you made your vow and a pic when it was finished, so the vow counts as far as I'm aware. I'm sure Dos will be around soon to confirm this.

Just a question. How are we on using counts as models? As let's say I've bought a corvus blackstar or two, filed down the inquisition symbols and filled in the panels of writing, could I use them as stormravens with the appropriate options? Just that I may have took my time preparing them for the second vow.

Like a blackstar pattern stormraven? I just want to paint them blue.

Well I bought them thinking the doors on the front were rhino doors and I could just get some forgeworld ultramarine doors, slap them out and bob's (bob is short for Robert and then Roboute... eh? Eh?) your primarch! But no, they're a single panel with the lights.

I reckon that'll be fine. As long as it's sufficiently Ultramarineish and has the correct armamament. The limit on counts as is more to stop people doing stuff like painting up whatever they want (eg, some Black Legion chaos marines) and having them count for the event.

Wulox: Yep, what Toxichobbit said. :tu:

Harkus: In my mind, approval meant inclusion in the vow list. So as soon as you know that one of us has seen your vow (even if I say something like "I'll update the list later"), then you can start painting. :)

OQ: Yep, what Toxichobbit said. :tu:

And for my next trick...

I, Techmarine Harkus, proud member of the Ultramarines, do swear to fully paint one legion praetor in cataphractii armour armed with a paragon blade and combi-metlta and five legion cataphractii terminators armed with combi bolters, and power fists, one heavy flamer, one power sword and one chainfist, by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.

For Guilliman and the Emperor! Courage and Honour!

UBM2016   3   Start

(click for larger version)

I was going to go for a bigger vow this time in light of some people's amazing work but I'm starting a new job next week and I cannot gauentee I'd get it finished. Kitbashed praetor featuring a grey knight helmet and power sword. GK may not be very 30k friendly but the aethetic for the helm fits the cat armour in my opinion. Sword was chosen primarily for it's size smile.png. Characters wearing banners on their back has much gone out of favor in recent years but my love for the retro look has not so my praetor cannot possibly leave his at home. That plus the fact that in my mind retro and the legions go together.

I've done the snow this time because their bases looked too plain to leave. There is room for more edge highlighting and layering on these but they fit my table top standard nicely. This is actually the first unit in my army to have both its Ultramarine decals and squad number on there. I bought these guys about a year ago so this event has already been an amazing sucess in inspiring me to get on with hobby. It's been great seeing other people's minis and progress.

Love those scouts, I'm not a fan of the regular scout heads myself so I really like those helmets you've got for them!

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're changing one Apothecary for another Apothecary and provide pics of the unpainted/undercoated model before starting. White is a PITA to paint, I feel your pain.

Wulox: Yep, what Toxichobbit said. thumbsup.gif

Thank you both for clarifying that for me! Will get around to making a new apothecary once I can source another narthecium from somewhere. It appears to be a very popular part on ebay/bits sites!

Also found a sheet of old ultras decals so though I'd apply the Ultima symbol whilst I wait for the FW decal sheet to use some of the more fancy veteran markings etc on them as well.

http://i.imgur.com/YhHZcrf.jpg

Attempted to make a bit of a better lighting setup but it still isn't great unfortunately. On a bit of a budget so can't go spending loads on various lamps etc tongue.png

James

Vow 2!

I, Obsidian Quacker, proud member of the "Spearhead of Ultramar", do swear to fully paint  five space marine bikes, 10 Breacher marines and two (Blackstar pattern) Stormravens by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.

For Guilliman and the Emperor! Courage and Honour!

Here's hoping there's no mistakes in that.

29517901070_5d0dab7638.jpgWP_20160920_12_38_16_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr

Deathwatch bike squad for the easy 5 bikes, plus the crested helmet on upgrade sprue.

29184674393_bc5714284e.jpgWP_20160920_12_38_41_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr

Breachers

29697801772_c7d8aa0453.jpgWP_20160920_12_39_02_Pro by obsdian quacker, on Flickr

Two "stormravens", left with lascannon's stormstrike missles and typhoon missle launcher, right with assault cannons stromstrike missles and heavy bolters.

Add a sprinkle of gw and fw ultramarine upgrades.

Oh boy, guarantee ill regret this one! I, abadizzle, proud son of Ultramar, vow to complete 5 shooty terminators by november 6th 2016... Failure is... Hmm... Likely? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/abadizzilithium/Mobile%20Uploads/termis1.jpg

Still lots of conversion work to go here... Wish me luck! Great job on the completions and participation so far everyone! For The Emperor!

Abadizzle: I really love the dynamic poses on the SH termies, but yeah they're a royal pain in the butt to convert lol!

Good luck with your vow!

obsidian quacker: Dude....just stop making the rest of us look bad! tongue.png

@ Abadazzle good luck with the converting!

@Runefyre I've been taken aback by that! I've never been one to think that I've been able to make stuff that make's people look bad! Thanks for the compliment! Really I'm just trying to get 5 vehicles and 50 miniatures into this event, though I think I may have the 3rd vow planned too cool.png

Ok the plan was to take a picture showing the various stages of blue i go through, but my camera and or lighting just doesnt show the stages well.

Its there if you look real hard but, oh well.

From left to right

Sprayed blue , then washed with drakenhof nightshade , then re based with Macragge blue , first highlight with Altdorf blue then finally Calgar blue highlight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/Ultra%20Marines/3%20shades.jpg

And goddamnit after admiring my own highlight on the Sergeants helmet i remembered it has to be Red......*shakes head*

+ List updated. +

Excellent work so far, folks! It's great to see such enthusiasm and talent on display. thumbsup.gif

Just as a FYI: I've removed the "first vow pledged before x date" to allow anyone to jump into the challenge at any time (it lets abadizzle participate and likely fail tongue.png).

Anyway, on a more personal level, I really should get started with at least building my models. I have a few ideas in mind and I really want each model to be unique, even if they are "just" Tactical Legionnaries. Hopefully my ideas will translate well to reality when I get around to doing some conversion work!

Nice, I noticed yesterday that I missed the deadline and was a bit bummed by that, but now I can participate afterall!

So,

I, Aspecti, proud member of the Ultramarines, do swear to fully paint two Contemptor Dreadnoughts, two Ironclad Dreadnoughts, a Drop Pod and a Land Speeder Storm, by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.

I will post start pictures soonish smile.png

edit: pics

http://aspecti.mbnet.fi/kuvat/figut/UM/ironclad_bros.jpghttp://aspecti.mbnet.fi/kuvat/figut/UM/contemptor_bros2.jpg
http://aspecti.mbnet.fi/kuvat/figut/UM/pod_speeder.jpg

Welcome Aspecti! I'm glad that you checked back. :) Looking forward to seeing your vow painted!

All: Sorry for being so slow with updates, busy with work and elsewhere on the forum but I'll endeavour to be around a bit more from now on! :tu:

Chop chop, grind grind, snip snip! http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/abadizzilithium/Mobile%20Uploads/hulktermi1.jpg

Gettin' there!

That guy is seriously awesome!

Got everyone completely finished apart from the apothecary now! Here they are all decal-ed up.
http://i.imgur.com/O4hO0I5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/L1fv8yH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ffhJ31E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/70KYpyz.jpg
I ruined the original apothecary figure trying to paint white over blue, so this time I figured I'd just go for a full white apothecary to make it a little easier! Should be finished later on today!
http://i.imgur.com/EWfbXUi.jpg

Thanks for looking!
James

Archived