=][= The 2016 Deathwatch Painting Challenge =][=

Prot

With the new release, and the all the blogs/plogs/and hobby threads starting up, I think we can agree it's a great time for....

gallery_2760_1001_16136.jpg

Let's get right into the heart of the matter: Xenos must die, and the Deathwatch need you to help fill the ranks.

How to Participate:

There will be 3 ways of participating, and 4 (to be made) Banners celebrating your accomplishments providing you fulfill your Deathwatch Vow!

• Inductee. Anyone can find this entry level into the Deathwatch a good place to start. Simply enter the painting challenge with a single (legal) Deathwatch figure. This can represent your favorite chapter, or perhaps your foray into the Deathwatch Chapter.
  • Watch Captain. To reach the rank of captain you have to be able to complete any Kill Team Formation from the Black Spear Detachment. These are all outlined in the Codex: Deathwatch. (An example would be a simple 5-man Kill Team. Or perhaps a more elaborate Aquilla Kill Team.)
  • Watch Master. This would be the requirement of Watch Captain, plus any additional requirement from the Black Spear formation. (A Dreadnought, or even a Corvus Blackstar, etc.)

There is unfortunately a 4th badge you can earn..... Xenophile. If you make a painting vow in this challenge, and cannot/do not complete it (no matter the reason), you will be required to adopt the failure badge of "Xenophile" for your failures!

The Timeline:

For the next 2 Weeks (Monday August 29, 2016 - Monday, September 12, 2016) you must take a vow stating one of the 3 goals for completion.

From Monday, September 12, 2016, until November 12, 2016, you will be expected to complete your Vow or wear the shameful tag of "Xenophile"!

"I <insert name> will Vow to complete the requirements of <choose from: Inductee/Watch Captain/Watch Master> by completely painting the following models: "

List the models that meet the above criteria and add a "Before" picture to validate your entry. You can do that within this thread and I'll keep track of entries.

Restrictions and Rules:

You only have to take the Vow for next 2 weeks and provide a "before" picture which can be assembled (or not) and cannot include more than primer. And then the Vows are Locked.

At that point you will have the following 2 months to complete your vow, and attain your badge of rank and honour within the Deathwatch Chapter. To complete your vow you must provide a picture showing completion. WIP Pics are NOT necessary, however feel free to link within your vow post to your BLOG/PLOG/Hobby Thread, etc.

Basing is not required to fulfill your vow, but a 3 colour minimum is.

Please contact me with any additional questions, or ask them here in this thread.

Now more than ever the despicable Xenos have become bold, and arrogant, pushing their way into the heart of the beloved Imperium. But they do not know the fury with which we will strike, and our weapon with be the Deathwatch. Good Luck and stay ever Vigilant!

Master List of Deathwatch Participants:

+Demonknight - VOW: Watch Master : Completed

+mithrilforge - VOW : Watch Captain : Incomplete

+Kurama - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Stormborn - VOW : Deathwatch Inductee : Incomplete

+Reynen - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Thunder_god - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Mehman - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+leth - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Biohazard - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+CrimsonReign - VOW : Watch Master : Complete

+Brother Callidan - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Thunder_god - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+Vash - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+fedratsailor - VOW : Watch Captain : Incomplete

+Black Cohort - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+Rashbold - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+war009 - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Kraad Belak - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Prot - VOW : Watch Master : Complete

+CaptainCaveman87 - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+Halandaar - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Robbie - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+MrKeef - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+deusmex - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+TempestBlade - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+Rob451 - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+morsla - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Instar-Nine - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Raychu - VOW : Watch Captain : Completed

+Icechiang - VOW : Deathwatch Inductee : Completed

+Alyssis - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Masked Thespian - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Crom's Will - VOW : Watch Master : Incomplete

+Vel'Cona - VOW : Watch Captain : Completed

+Paladin Corswain - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

+APHEXTWIN - VOW : Watch Master : Completed

Discussion:

Although we want pictures, and some vows shown here, please move most of the WIP, and discussion to this thread:
The Deathwatch Painting Challenge Gathering of Forces.

Banners:

A very special thanks to Grotsmasha for tolerating my tweaks and requests for making these great banners!

Inductee Banners:

gallery_48988_10069_43799.png gallery_48988_10069_16719.png

Watch Captain Banners:

gallery_48988_10069_10355.png gallery_48988_10069_10495.png

Watch Master Banners:

gallery_48988_10069_380.png gallery_48988_10069_12226.png

The dreaded.... Xenophile Banners:

gallery_48988_10069_23776.png gallery_48988_10069_3005.png

I've been thinking about doing an Imperial Fists Sternguard Kill Team with the new rules coming out next week, and making at least one of them a Deathwatch Veteran. Would that be an applicable entry for the first category, or would I have to make an OOC entry?

Now this is awesome!

I will definitely participate in this! Just need to get the rest of my models first! 

Awesome indeed! Let's get that vow rolling. There's Xenos that need killin' !!

I might do a single figure or two, but I don't have the codex, so could someone tell me what gear options terminators have?

Termies have such a great pick of the Deathwatch Armoury it's really a good model to start with imho. You can just about pick any config you can think of out of the normal Terminator choices, and actually field that as a single, legal choice within the Deathwatch CAD. Or tack it on to a Veteran squad.

Either way you can just about configure it anyway that is currently legal for a terminator with one addition: They have the unique choice of Melta Fists. (A melta gun literally tacked on to the fist. There is one of them in Overkill Box set, but you could make your own.

Otherwise, sky's the limit: Cyclone or Assault cannon, or hammer/shield, etc, etc. Just run it by here to be certain but I think you're safe with almost anything.

I've been thinking about doing an Imperial Fists Sternguard Kill Team with the new rules coming out next week, and making at least one of them a Deathwatch Veteran. Would that be an applicable entry for the first category, or would I have to make an OOC entry?

That works. This single fig would fit the criteria for the "Deathwatch Inductee" vow.

Termies have such a great pick of the Deathwatch Armoury it's really a good model to start with imho. You can just about pick any config you can think of out of the normal Terminator choices, and actually field that as a single, legal choice within the Deathwatch CAD. Or tack it on to a Veteran squad.

Either way you can just about configure it anyway that is currently legal for a terminator with one addition: They have the unique choice of Melta Fists. (A melta gun literally tacked on to the fist. There is one of them in Overkill Box set, but you could make your own.

I figured they'd have all the normal options and maybe some new DW specific stuff, so this is exactly what I needed to know.

I'll be joining in. 

Though I can't make it to Watch Master, as much as I want it... 

Dont intend to use the Auxiliaries of the Deathwatch. :(

Just need to assemble the last models... once I am off work and back home in my nerdy corner of the house. 

I'll be joining in. 

Though I can't make it to Watch Master, as much as I want it... 

Dont intend to use the Auxiliaries of the Deathwatch. :sad.:

Just need to assemble the last models... once I am off work and back home in my nerdy corner of the house. 

Well a second vanilla, Veteran Kill team is one of the legal options of the Black Spear so it would work perfectly well. It's more a question of: Do you want to do 10 guys? If not, there's nothing wrong with Vowing for Watch Captain status. ;)

Can we add to our vow at a later point? I will probably get a vanguard squad and a terminator squad st some point but I am not sure if I will get them in the near future.

The Vow Period for the purpose of meeting one of the 3 requirements is in the 2 week period. At any point after that you can add to that vow, but it won't count towards attaining merit of one of the 3 badges. But I think it's a great way to get your forces rolling. For this first paint challenge I just wanted to include as many people as possible and make it fun.

I have been trying to get motivated to paint my Deathwatch. Building is fun, but then looking at them all is overwhelming. So thank you for this great motivation challenge! :smile.:

"I Demonknight will Vow to complete the requirements of Watch Master by completely painting the following models: "

First Kill Team of my BSSF

Dominatus Kill Team (
5 Veterans - 3 Shotguns, Blackshield wth Thunderhammer Stormshield, Sargent with Xenoblade
2 Vanguard Vets with Heavy Thunder hammer & Twin Lightning claws

IMG 20160829 150445 468

IMG 20160829 150508 397

IMG 20160829 150531 157

Auxiliary Detachment  

Dreadnought with assault cannon & heavy flamer

I am not sure how I will run him in the finished BSSF but I really like how he turned out. I wanted more of a alien tech/Mk-viii variant dread.

IMG 20160829 150544 052

IMG 20160829 150551 927

I am definitely going to see if I can finish the entire BSSF by the end of the challenge. Thanks again for the great motivation!

" I-I-I-I-I like it! " :wub.:

Hmm, full Watch Company in two months?

1 Watch Captain, 4 Librarians, 40 Veterans, 20 Terminators, 20 Vanguard Veterans, & 20 Bikers

It... could... work! 

( Stop it, Rashbold... you complete one ETL vow and now you have delusions of grandeur...

Did you forget about the priming mishap in the excessive heat & humidity? Hmm?

Look at THOSE models! Look at THEM! )

Okay, okay... let me focus... 

This is an excellent & very timely challenge, Prot. 

I will definitely be vowing at some point. Oh yes, I will...

Ciao, 

R.

That works. This single fig would fit the criteria for the "Deathwatch Inductee" vow.

Oh good! Now just to buy the things I need. :smile.:

"I Mithrilforge will Vow to complete the requirements of : Watch Captain, by completely painting the following models: "

A Death Watch Venator Kill Team

- 5 x Veterans

- 2 x Bikes

- ??? pts

med_gallery_9146_7882_163954.jpg

Mithril

++ Vow pts to be Edited in after i work out how to kit my squad ++

@BCK: As a matter of fact, DW is weird. Termies, and Vanguard (and Bikes I believe) all start at 1 model a squad and go up from there (if I recall correctly, both Termies and Vanguard are 5 max. Haven't looked at the Bikes because they're not something I'm interested in using.)

I'm not looking at my book at this very second, so God forgive me if I'm completely and utterly misremembering, and they're more than that. That'd be embarrassing, wouldn't it?

I'll make a vow later on. Would like to have the kits in hand before I go and get myself into more commitments, so I'll probably be waiting 'til the last minute to make them.

"I Kurama will Vow to complete the requirements of Watch Maste by completely painting the following models: Dominatus Kill Team & Dreadnought

5 Veterans

5 Vanguard Veterans

1 Librarian in Terminator Armour

1 Dreadnought

Pictures to follow"

I was planning to do a number of single miniatures to represent my "boxing day bash" mini Jorin the Wanderer in various stages of his journey from Blood Claw to Lone Wolf.  This looks like the perfect opportunity to start.

I Stormborn will Vow to complete the requirements of Inductee by completely painting the following model:

1 Deathwatch Marine of the Space Wolves

Before Image

Jorin

Bit of work still to do but my Deathwatch goodies arrived today.

I have been trying to get motivated to paint my Deathwatch. Building is fun, but then looking at them all is overwhelming. So thank you for this great motivation challenge! :smile.:

"I Demonknight will Vow to complete the requirements of Watch Master by completely painting the following models: "

First Kill Team of my BSSF

Dominatus Kill Team (

5 Veterans - 3 Shotguns, Blackshield wth Thunderhammer Stormshield, Sargent with Xenoblade

2 Vanguard Vets with Heavy Thunder hammer & Twin Lightning claws

Auxiliary Detachment

Dreadnought with assault cannon & heavy flamer

I am not sure how I will run him in the finished BSSF but I really like how he turned out. I wanted more of a alien tech/Mk-viii variant dread.

I am definitely going to see if I can finish the entire BSSF by the end of the challenge. Thanks again for the great motivation!

An awesome and worthy entry for our first official vow! :wink:

" I-I-I-I-I like it! " :wub.:

Hmm, full Watch Company in two months?

1 Watch Captain, 4 Librarians, 40 Veterans, 20 Terminators, 20 Vanguard Veterans, & 20 Bikers

It... could... work!

( Stop it, Rashbold... you complete one ETL vow and now you have delusions of grandeur...

Did you forget about the priming mishap in the excessive heat & humidity? Hmm?

Look at THOSE models! Look at THEM! )

Okay, okay... let me focus...

This is an excellent & very timely challenge, Prot.

I will definitely be vowing at some point. Oh yes, I will...

Ciao,

R.

Thanks, I saw all that stuff you have boxed up and some of it is dying to be vowed for this. :smile.:

I've learned the hard way to not vow things I haven't built yet. Assuming I find the time to build a Marine, I'll be in with an Inductee vow.

Cheers,

Jono

Yea I hear you. I have a pile of half assembled squads on my desk. Every day I put a bit of time into them and as soon as assembly is complete, I'm vowing.

I did this today:

I was planning on only doing a single mini, but I have a quite a good amount of 40k termie stuff and might do more. What's the smallest squad of termies I can do? 3? 5?

That works for the Inductee entry... A single Terminator is a valid Deathwatch squad. Actually BCK I think that fig would look awesome in the Deathwatch colours... Xenos will wet themselves on sight. ;)

@BCK: As a matter of fact, DW is weird. Termies, and Vanguard (and Bikes I believe) all start at 1 model a squad and go up from there (if I recall correctly, both Termies and Vanguard are 5 max. Haven't looked at the Bikes because they're not something I'm interested in using.)

I'll make a vow later on. Would like to have the kits in hand before I go and get myself into more commitments, so I'll probably be waiting 'til the last minute to make them.

Well I have the kits and I'm just waiting here to complete some assembly before vowing. So I get what you mean. I'd really like to vow, but even the vowing process is motivating me to assemble!

med_gallery_2760_1001_66412.jpg

Alright, so we are updated to this point. All posts above this have vows recorded with links to the Vow post recorded in the original post. Please verify I have your vow recorded, and if I missed it, please post below or PM me.

You can still edit your vow during this period.

=][= Deathwatch Vows Close in 13 Days as of this post =][=

"I Reyner will Vow to complete the requirements of Watch Master by completely painting the following models: Watch Captain Artemis, 1 Kill Team and a Venerable Dreadnought".

"I Thunder_god (TG) will Vow to complete the requirements of Watch Master by completely painting the following models:

A 5 man veteran squad

A Corvus Blackstar

And a Librarian

I pledge with to the honor of my Watch Fortress or may I be sent back to my chapter in disgrace.

I, Mehman the Scribe, Regimental Priest of the B&C, vow to earn glory for the Imperium in its wars against the Xenos and attain the rank of Watch Master by Nov 12, 2016, by building and painting the following Black Spear Strike Force:

Watch Commander (Command)

1 Watch Captain

Aquila Kill Team (Core)

1 unit of Veterans (x5)

1 Librarian

Ancient (Auxiliary)

1 Venerable Dreadnought

If I do not complete this holy task, I will forever- or until a certain time deemed appropriate - be damned to wear the badge of the failed 'Xenophile'. May the Emperor and Omnissiah bless all in this endeavour.

++EDIT++

gallery_83709_10653_23947.jpg

I vow to do a Watch captain, a kill team, and a second kill team. Since I don't have all the models yet/none of the models have come out very far in advance of the deadline I don't have a picture yet.

Long shot goal is the entire watch company that I have planned

Will post a list soon!!

Archived