ART - Modelling the Brotherhood of the Lost

apologist

(Hi all, I haven't posted in this part of the forum before, so I hope this is the right place to put it.)

To cut a long story short, Bluntblade asked if I'd be interested in modelling one of the Brotherhood of the Lost. The short answer is yes: the enthusiasm and creativity here is infectious, and I'd be very pleased to put something together.

Apologies if the following is a little vague, but the depth of information in this huge project is slightly overwhelming, so I'm at a bit of a loss for where to start! There has clearly been a lot of time, effort and love put into each and every Legion (not to mention the various additional forces!), so let me preface this with the note that I'm keen to treat this with respect, not tread on anyone's toes, and hopefully make something that would be useful for the project as a whole that would not otherwise be seen.

The question I have, then, is essentially 'what would you like?' 

+++

As I understand things, there are a couple of Legions that – for one reason or another – aren't likely to see models, so I'd be quite happy to put together a Legionary to fill in the holes, if the creator were happy with that.

I gather you (as a group) are also doing a Forge World-style book – would it be useful to have a mini diorama or a figure for that?

Any thoughts – and the more specific, the better – would be very gratefully received.

+++

Edited by Lord Thørn

(jaws hits table) Apologist...now there's someone I never expected to see over on this part of the forum...(runs around waving arms in the air and shouting overjoyedly)

As far as legions that are unlikely to receive models, my Crimson Lions are going to be unlikely to see much modelling light for at least the next year or so, quite possibly more.

And yes, we are doing Forge world style books, several as a matter of fact :) It would be great to have some of the Forge World or your own style dioramas for those. Of course, you need to check with the rest of the BotL but I personally can't see any reasons to refuse such an offer

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Lost. May it bring you much enjoyment and not take away too much of your sanity through incidents such as the one which cannot be named

Edited by Sigismund229

Welcome to the Brotherhood! Your work is always amazing, can't wait to see you bring a little bit of our project to life.

Let's see, legions with no models:

Crimson Lions

Void Eagles

Iron Bears

Warbringers

Fire Keepers

Dune Serpents

Grave Stalkers

The Drowned

Warriors of Peace

Stygian Jackals

Predators

So yeah, we have quite a few.

Edited by drakzilla

(jaws hits table) Apologist...now there's someone I never expected to see over on this part of the forum...(runs around waving arms in the air and shouting overjoyedly)

What, is he someone famous? Have I been too much of a hermit on B&C?

Anyway, glad to have you on board, Apologist. You are correct that some legions are coming into being quicker than others. Drak's list is fairly accurate, except for the Dune Serpents having one model. 

As for the mini-diorama, is that what FW uses for some of their page backgrounds?

Edited by simison

Yeah that's what FW uses for most of their art

Ah, perhaps a poll is in order. Do we want a background image to start with or a model representative for one of the legions? 

I vote background image. 

models for each Legion

in order to visualize a diorama, we need to clarify how the models need to look like. Otherwise it might just look like canon stuff.

My vote is for individual legions. Which legion out of the list should get priority? It'd be easier on Apoligist I think if we tackle this one at a time, rather than showering him in descriptions for 10 legions.

Agreed, I think it'd be easiest if we went in book order, which would put either the Grave Stalkers or the Iron Bears at the front of the line.

We probably ought to prioritize based on how far we are with the books. Atm book 1 is furthest along so those legions should be done first imo.

Out of them, the Iron Bears, Grave Stalkers, Drowned and Scions Hospitalier don't have models yet.

EDIT: ok sim ninjaed me.

Edited by Sigismund229

What, is he someone famous? Have been too much of a hermit on B&C?

Psst, have a look at the projects in his signature, you won't be disappointed http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/msn-wink.gif

Cripes! 

Thanks for the enthusiasm – I'd certainly be up for tackling some example Legionaries. My initial idea was to create a model to emulate a page along the lines of these ones from the FW books:

blurbs.jpg

Essentially, a model of a typical legionary to show their standard colours. If that'd be helpful, I'll see if I can crack on with the Legions Simison and Sigismund229 mention – namely Iron Bears, Grave Stalkers, Drowned and Scions Hospitalier.

To that end, it would be really helpful if the creators could give their thumbs-up (as I say, I don't want to to tread on anyone's toes) and post the following:

* Colour scheme,

* Legion symbol

* Relevant logos or markings

* Notes on particular things to bear in mind – e.g. 'the Legion generally uses Mark [X] armour, and never uses Mark [Y]. They tend to favour [X] boltgun.'

I'd like to keep a bit of creative freedom, so please don't make things too prescriptive (apart from anything else, I'll be using my existing stash of bits), though I'll certainly do my best to include any special requests. :)

I swear, if apologist ends up doing alot of the legions in true scale modelling wise I will freaking finish and paint up my stormbird super heavy as a Halycon Warden model...

My lord, is it good to see you here Apologist, you have been inspiring me for years now. Welcome to this masterfull hell we call the brotherhood of the lost!

I would personally like to see Grave Stalkers first, since I think we all have a decent mental image of what an Iron Bear looks like, but not so much for our mysterious XVth Legion. The Drowned would be my second choice, for similar reasons.

Also, I could've sworn I've seen a model of a Scion Hospitaller somewhere... Am I just hallucinating?

Hello and welcome to the den of the crazy men^^

I can wait gnihihi^^

But yeah, give us Grave Stalkers or Drowned. And as far as I know Papa Bear has a lot of Bears. He just don't shoot photos

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I would personally like to see Grave Stalkers first, since I think we all have a decent mental image of what an Iron Bear looks like, but not so much for our mysterious XVth Legion. The Drowned would be my second choice, for similar reasons.

Also, I could've sworn I've seen a model of a Scion Hospitaller somewhere... Am I just hallucinating?

I believe slips painted one praetor as a test model?

Sure no problem. Here is a pic of the general scheme and the legion insignia shoulderpad.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn171/Grifftofer/Reaper_zpspx5b10p7.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn171/Grifftofer/15-Grave_Stalkers.svg_zpsahqvkt47.png

The majority of the armour is in a mid-light grey-tone, with faceplate and pauldrons in a dark bone colour. Their eye lenses are black and any metal features would be in a dulled gun metal, rather than bright. That is a quick overview, if you'd like more details I can provide them, but you said you'd prefer some artistic input, so I'm not sure how much to dictate.

And damn you ninja Mikhal