A Tale of 20 Hobbyists - Sign-up - ALL SLOTS FILLED

bl.php?text=A%20Tale%20of%2020%20Hobbyists%20&fontsize=25&bg=

med_gallery_78067_11287_55120.jpg

Duration: 7 months (October 2016 - April 2017, with one permitted "bye" month.)

Number of slots taken: 20/18

Army minimum: 1500 points (250 a month is recommended, but not a requirement.)

Open to all board-legal armies, both 30k and 40k

+++

Hello everyone, and welcome to 2016's Tale of Hobbyists! I'm posting this thread now for a few reasons: firstly, to explain this year's version of the Tale and its specific rules in an informal way (though a more formal, codified set of rules will be published next month when we begin,) secondly, to answer any questions pertaining to the Tale, and finally, to give people a place to sign up for the Tale in the month we have before we'll kick off. Before you do that, though, I would ask you to read this post completely and thoroughly so that you have a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. After that, you're free to decide whether or not you want to sign up! Keep in mind, there are only intended to be 18 slots, and though I can be a little bit flexible either way if there's enough interest in the Tale, I would recommend that you only sign up if you're really serious about it.

So, onto the meat and gristle:

+++

Participants

- Night Lords - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (1917 points)

@Augustus b'Raass - Imperial Fists - Faction: Space Marines (1655 points)

- Inquisition and Sisters of Battle - Factions: Inquisition, Adepta Sorositas (1501 points)

@Brother Androcles - Howling Griffons - Faction: Space Marines (1500 points)

- Iron Heralds - Faction: Space Marines (1500 points)

@codyrstuart - The Redmaws - Faction: Space Wolves (1506 points)

- Inquisition and Deathwatch - Faction: Inqusition, Deathwatch (1586 points)

@Dosjetka - Imperial Fists - Faction: Space Marines (2500 points)

@Kobrakei - Dark Angels 5th Company - Faction: Dark Angels (1496 points)

- Emperor's Children Palatine Chorus - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List(1503 points)

@mactire - Vlka Fenryka - Faction: Space Wolves (1544 points)

@Lord Commander Eidolon - Emperor's Children - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (4000 points)

@lionofjudah - VII Legion 92nd Company Ironfists - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (1470 points)

@Obscura - Emperor's Children - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (1545 points)

@Player 404 - Terran Loyalist Shattered Legions - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (1620 points)

@Pyroclast91 - Salamanders - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (2263 points)

@Rangaman - House Aethergn - Questoris Knights Crusade Army List (1705 points)

@SW1 - Inquisition and Allies - Factions: Inquisition, Astra Militarum (1925 points)

- Imperial Fists 284. Storm Battalion - Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List (2036 points)

- The Emperor's Harbingers - Faction: Blood Angels (1500~ points)

+++

What is the Tale of 20 Hobbyists?

Ah, the most important question. Originating in the classic issues of White Dwarf, the idea for this type of challenge is simply to get a small (or not so small, in our case) group of people together and spend a few months building up their armies together, and of course having fun while doing so! Starting from a tally of 0 at the Tale's start, everyone will have a goal of X points to get their armies to by the end. The precise size of the goal will depend on the specific participant, though there is a minimum "buy-in" of 1500 points. Obviously, the higher you decide to aim for, the harder it will be to complete (unless you're Kurama, in which case you'll probably have 2500 points painted by the end of the first month. msn-wink.gif) Of course, all this will be broken down into smaller chunks which'll make it easier to complete. Every month you'll be required to fully complete at least one complete legal unit, whether a character, a vehicle, or a squad. You'll also be expected to update regularly within that time. If you do not do these, you may be liable to be kicked from the challenge, subject to my discretion and the exception outlined below.

Why should I participate in this challenge and not just build my army alone in my corner at whatever pace I feel like going with?

Well, you are indeed free to do that, but this challenge offers a few things that you don't necessarily get when building your army alone.

1 - Deadlines. As mentioned above, you will be required to meet a certain number of conditions at the end of every single month. This means that you will have to write up a plan and stick to it all the way through the challenge.

2 - Comradeship. Seeing as you'll have a number of other people working on a similar project to yours, you most probably be motivated to stick to your deadlines, paint that unit that you've left on the wayside for the first two months and generally enjoy the process a lot more. Seeing as everyone will be required to post updates every so often, seeing the other participants working on their units will probably motivate you to do the same.

3 - Rewards. If you have managed to complete all the units you pledged to paint by the set date, you will be rewarded with a fully-painted and playable army which has its own unique fluff and little quirks. It may not seem like much, but boy is it good to be able to sit back and admire your efforts after many months of hard work. smile.png

If these reasons aren't enough, then maybe this challenge ain't for you!

OK, you've got me interested, where do I sign up?

Easy there, mate! I know you're eager to participate, but we're not even halfway through this FAQ and there's still quite a bit of stuff you need to know before you sign up!

Bummer. Well, what's next in line?

Well, the most important aspect of this challenge is sticking in until the end. Thus, you should really think long and hard about your inclusion into this challenge. Are you in a period of your life which gives you little time to do much hobby-wise? Can your current life situation be potentially subject to radical change over the next few months? Are you someone who is initially extremely motivated but then usually lets things go after a short period of time? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, I'd suggest you don't sign up for this challenge since this really is a long-term project aimed at people who can keep up the effort over a number of months. I don't want the challenge to go well during the first month or two, then suddenly loose steam and die. This is a group effort and I want everyone to be 120% dedicated to the challenge.

I like giving my all in group projects! However, if something happens in real life and I need to drop out, what do I do?

That is, unfortunately, something that happens as a consequence of living here on this planet. It's inevitable that something will crop up for at least one of the people who decide they want to participate in this challenge, or that people will just want a break. As a consequence, everyone is permitted a single "bye" month, which they may utilize at their own discretion. However, you can only use this once, and it must be declared (either in the main thread or by PMing me, the organizer of this challenge) that you are using it before the month is over. I'll be somewhat strict about the use of these, and if someone simply drops of the face of the planet for a month they will be disqualified from the challenge. This may seem strict, but it's to make sure that people wishing to participate really are motivated, have the time to work on their armies and will not abandon the challenge shortly after its start.

That being said, if something additional pops up and you've already taken your bye, don't hesitate to PM me about it. I'd like to think I'm a reasonable guy, and if you have to take care of life that's perfectly understandable. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be disqualified, but it's within the realm of possibility, especially if there's still a good chance you'll be able to participate and complete the challenge.

OK. What about painting standards? I'm a decent painter but definitely not as good as some people on the forum. Do you need to be able to paint to a certain standard to enter?

No, not at all. Just with other B&C community events such as the ETL, this challenge is open to painters of all levels. Lower standard painters will hopefully improve their painting over the course of the challenge through friendly tips, constructive criticism and home-made tutorials created by other participants. smile.png

Great! You also mentioned that we had to post regular updates. Since I don't paint all that often, how do I achieve that?

The aim is for everyone to be heavily involved in the project, to share their progress and to help others out, so posting WIP pictures of the unit you're currently working on, asking for painting/conversion tips, posting a quickly done tutorial about a new technique you tried out or encouraging your fellow hobbyists are all ways to give an update on your project and to keep yourself involved!

That sounds easy. Now any last things you want to mention before I ask how and where to sign up?

Yes, one last thing! To make your army even more unique, their will be a set of mini challenges that will be announced at various times during the course of the event. Some of these will be challenges that all will have to complete, whereas some will be optional and mostly a way to further personalize your army. Their will be more of the former than the latter, and I will make sure that the compulsory challenges are within the range of all participants, whatever their skill levels. smile.png To give you an idea, some of these mini challenges could be creating unique objective markers, writing an extra paragraph of history for your army warlord, adding a particular symbol somewhere in your army, etc.

Nice! So, what do I need to do in order to sign up?

The method required to join the B&C’s tale over the years has varied over the years, but the basic requirement that has held true through the years is simply to declare your participation along with the faction or codex of the army you intend to build prior to the beginning of the tale. This year you are also required to present a 1500-point list (or more if you so desire, as mentioned above) to show that you have at least some sort of plan. However, I understand that codices are constantly updated, and that certain new releases can be “must-haves,” and so you will not be required to stick exactly to your initial list, though to do so is strongly encouraged.

Once you post this, I will add you to a list of potential participants, and if there are any problems with said post I will contact you via PM. Registration will be on a "first come, first served" basis, as I mention above, participation in this year’s Tale is initially limited to 18 spots, though if enough interest is expressed I am open to a few more.

Before the Tale starts, I will post another collated version of these rules with any necessary clarifications, but rest assured that there will be no nasty surprises. It'll just be a more "official" version of this same information.

A big thank you to both Dosjetka (whom from this FAQ format and some most of the information therein was borrowed) and Kurama for running this event in past years. The rules and format both of them established for the Tale were invaluable organizing this year's Tale.

Jeez, that took a while, didn't it? Well, that part's over now (and there was much rejoicing!) so, really, the only thing left for you to do is to sign up! So go ahead, get cracking on that! smile.png

I'm in Buddy I'll be doing a 1500 point Emperors Children Legion List; and a 500 potential extension for said list.

I'll post the list later but I'm keen.

And a big thank you to the psycho for taking over this in my absence. Since my separation I've had to put my reviews and the maintenance bay on hold. But soon I'll be back to my fighting fit standard.

Same here: very keen on joining this though I still have to figure a list out. How flexible are you/we with list changes?

My 1'500 2'500 point list using Codex: Space Marines can be found below:

Hidden Content

+++ Imperial Fists (2500pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Combined Arms Detachment) (2500pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Chapter Tactics [imperial Fists]

Show FW models * [1. HQ, 2. Elites, 3. Fast Attack, 4. Heavy Support]

+ HQ (335pts) +

Brother Rohr - Chaplain (165pts)
··Power Armour [Auspex, Bolt Pistol, Digital Weapons, Jump Pack, The Angel of Sacrifice, The Panoply of the Crusader]

Brother Rufus Kyber - Captain (170pts)
··Captain
····Artificer Armour [Auspex, Digital Weapons, Relic Blade, Storm Shield, The Spartean]

+ Elites (230pts) +

Squad Tylus - Command Squad (230pts) [The Banner of Staganda]
··Brother Kage - Veteran [bolt Pistol, Power Maul, Storm Shield]
··Brother Kurg - Apothecary [bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Narthecium]
··Brother Kyrz - Veteran [bolt Pistol, Power Fist, Storm Shield]
··Brother Pheidias - Company Champion [bolt Pistol, Combat Shield, Power Sword]
··Veteran Sergeant Tylus - Veteran [bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Storm Shield]

+ Troops (430pts) +

Squad Isgard - Tactical Squad (225pts) [Grav-gun, Heavy Bolter, 9x Space Marines]
··Rhino [Dozer Blade, Storm Bolter]
··Veteran Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Combi-grav]

Squad Syth - Tactical Squad (205pts) [Flamer, Heavy Bolter, 9x Space Marines]
··Rhino [Dozer Blade, Storm Bolter]
··Space Marine Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Combi-flamer]

+ Fast Attack (635pts) +

Squad Barass - Assault Squad (220pts) [2x Flamer, Jump Packs, 9x Space Marines]
··Veteran Sergeant [Lightning Claw, Lightning Claw]

Squad Eisen - Bike Squad (155pts)
··Biker Veteran Sergeant [Combi-grav, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Space Marine Biker [bolt Pistol, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Space Marine Biker [bolt Pistol, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Space Marine Biker with Special Weapon [Grav-gun, Twin-Linked Boltgun]
··Space Marine Biker with Special Weapon [Grav-gun, Twin-Linked Boltgun]

Stormhawk Interceptor Wing (260pts)
··Stormhawk Interceptor [icarus Stormcannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon]
··Stormhawk Interceptor [icarus Stormcannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (870pts) +

Land Raider Crusader (275pts) [Extra Armour, Multi-melta, Storm Bolter, Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Two Hurricane Bolters]

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought (370pts) [Ceramite Plating, 2x Leviathian Siege Claw w/ inbuilt Meltagun, Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod, Three Hunter-killer Missles, Two Torso Mounted Heavy Flamers]

Squad Darrell - Devastator Squad (225pts) [Armorium Cherub, 4x Lascannon, 9x Space Marines]
··Space Marine Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Signum]

Created with BattleScribe

I'm fairly new to actually being a part of this community, but I'm seriously interested in being a part of this. I'll try and create a list soon, but definitely count me in.

My 1500 point list is as follows

Hidden Content
 Howling Griffons (1500pts)
Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1500pts)

• HQ (355pts)
    • Captain Duran Vargas (150pts)
      • Captain
        • Artificer Armour

Power Fist, Power Sword

• Chaplain Dreadnought Titus (205pts)

Assault Cannon, Extra Armour

• Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon

Heavy Flamer

• Elites (270pts)
    • Sternguard Veteran Squad (130pts)
      • Veteran

Combi-plasma

• Veteran

Boltgun

• Veteran

Boltgun

• Veteran

Combi-plasma

• Veteran Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

• Venerable Dreadnoughts (140pts)
      • Venerable Dreadnought

Plasma Cannon

• Power Fist

Heavy Flamer

• Troops (700pts)
    • Tactical Squad (160pts)

Flamer, Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), 9x Space Marines

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

• Tactical Squad (165pts)

Flamer, Multi-melta, 9x Space Marines

• Space Marine Sergeant

Boltgun, Combi-melta

• Tactical Squad (210pts)

Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Rhino, 9x Space Marines

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

• Tactical Squad (165pts)

Flamer, Heavy Bolter, 9x Space Marines

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Combi-grav

• Fast Attack (35pts)
    • Rhino (35pts)
  • Heavy Support (140pts)
    • Devastator Squad (140pts)

2x Lascannon, 2x Plasma Cannon, 4x Space Marines

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun                     

Kurama: Good to have you, man! Best of luck getting back in the saddle again!

Dosjetka: Regarding lists, it's more a way of showing you have a clear plan of attack before we start. I'm pretty flexible about precise composition during the challenge proper, as long as you keep at it. ;)

Brother Androcles: Welcome to the B&C, brother! We'd love to have you participating in the challenge. I'm guessing you'd be doing Chaos?

I've got you all noted down for participation, but make sure to post your list so that I can add you to the official roster.

After two terrible ETL efforts, I want something that will restart my hobby mojo. I'm actually hammering out a list (completely unrelated to this, but fits perfectly) when I saw this, so it might be a sign.

Well, it might be if signs weren't Heretical msn-wink.gif

I'll post a list up in a bit smile.png

I am in with my IIIrd Legion.

Having built the majority of the miniatures already, I need a damn motivator to get them completely finished within 2017.

It took me a year to build them, I figure taking seven months to get at least 1500 points to table top standard will be feasible as October will be a nice time to start.

So 1503 points of the Palatine Chorus;

Hq-

Legion Praetor: 207 Points

•Artificer armour

•Mastercrafted Thunder Hammer

•Archeotech Pistol

•Digital Weapons

•Iron Halo

•Sonic Shriekers

Troops-

Kakophoni: 155 points

•Artificer armour

•Artificer armour

•Artificer armour

Elites-

Apothecarion Attachment: 156 points

•3× Apothecary

•3× Augury Scanner

Heavy Support-

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought talon: 675 points

-Siege Dreadnought

•2× Leviathan storm cannons

•Armoured ceramite

•phosphex discharges

•Volkites

-Siege Dreadnought

•Grav Flux Bombard

•Siege Drill

•Armoured ceramite

•phosphex discharges

•Volkites

And we have our first (and second) official participant(s)! Praise be to the Emperor!!!

++As a reminder, everyone who has expressed interest in participating must provide an army list to be made official. I've added your names in the first post of this topic, but please provide me with a list as soon as is possible.++

Aquilanus: Happy to have you joining us! I'm assuming you're doing your Sisters of Battle, correct? That's what I have you marked down as at any rate. Feel free to correct me if I am incorrect! smile.png

Uveron: Glad you're in, mate! Look forward to seeing your BA.

Obscura: That's what this is for, to motivate! Glad to have you bud!

Dosjetka: smile.png

Kurama: smile.png

mactire: This is for all board-legal armies. As long as you can post it on the B&C, you can build it for this challenge. smile.png

++UPDATED TO THIS POINT++

Edited for typos.

I'm interested. I was going to start painting Guard in October in a separate personal challenge. This would help keep me motivated in my personal targets.

Though I may possibly move over to SWs once they drop for 30k. Maybe I'll think about it some more.

Gosh....really, really wish I could participate. But I'm headed straight for a rather busy section of life.

Sad, I am sad.png

But I will be following the group's progress with a great deal of eagerness. The best to all who are taking part!

mactire: Gotcha! Hope you can!

SW1: Have you marked down for a tentative participant! Though switching in the middle? I'll hafta think about that... expect a PM sometime in the next 24 hours. :)

Runefyre: That's a shame. :( Still, glad to have you with us even in spirit, if not in body! :)

Uveron: Got it! I look forward to seeing your list!

++UPDATED TO THIS POINT++

HQ:

Eidolon with Jump Pack

Primus Medicae

Elites:

3x Legion Apothecaries with Augury Scanner

Troops:

19x Assault Marines + 1x Assault Sergeant

10x Kakophoni

10x Kakophoni

10x Kakophoni

1545 Points

I have more built/preliminary basing stages done, once the aforementioned is complete within a given month, I will hopefully be able to move ahead on to further my 250 point commitment.

And just to get people's motivational juices flowing I've had thus guy built the day after my fiancé left me;

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08-11_19.39.13_zpsiq6krhve.jpg

I'm just needing to stock up on basing supplies and he will be my centerpiece for this army.

I'm thinking Siege of Terra black and pink

Archived