The Montgisard Crusade

Lippy

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm looks like I dropped the ball on this thread again! 

You'll be pleased to know however that I have kept on Crusading and have more things to show for my efforts.

So in my last update I was planning on doing my Vanguard Veterans next.

Here they are, all 10 of them!

http://i.imgur.com/F0tIIiWl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/e1iQEV8l.jpg?1

As you'll know, I have a thing about magnets, and this kit has so many options its unreal.

http://i.imgur.com/RXKtMHLl.jpg?1

Once I started I couldn't stop.

Everyone is magnetised at the shoulders. I got round to doing all the arms, wrists and weapons from one kit.

http://i.imgur.com/Bcak2W3l.jpg

I love these guys and, when used correctly, they hit like a brick!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Next up Scouts Neophytes...

I painted these guys out of necessity really so theres not much to talk about

http://i.imgur.com/eLtTHZPl.jpg?1

_____________________________________________________________________________________

As I had a tournament coming up, I needed to bring something with a bit of oomph.

So that's where these guys came in handy:

http://i.imgur.com/kUluNN6l.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/dglgnQvl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/ONmGq7Fl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/dQ3Q0iRl.jpg?1

and their buddies:

http://i.imgur.com/sNWt4Xil.jpg?1

____________________________________________________________________________________

I also finished a second DropPod but its identical to the first so I'll not clog up the server up any more :teehee:

I'll put together a little write up of the tournament I attended. It was fun, and I was pleased with my performance considering the competition! SPOILER: I didnt win :whistling:

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Excellent work!

8th renewed my painting vigor. Has it done the same for you?

I'm actually thinking of going out to buy some Dreadnoughts!

Actually... No!

These were all done in the build up to a tournament my local club ran on 29th/30th April. I had planned to introduce a second StormTalon & LandSpeeder into my crusade, but 8th has me waiting to see what sounds cool.

I'm not in the 'gonna wait and see if it's good before I decide if I'm staying' boat, but more like 'I was going to buy models for a formation, but now I'll wait and see how it plays before I decided which route I'd like to take'.

I'm going to attempt a little write up of the tournament I attended and how my Templars performed, so watch this space.

Although most of us are surely Over 7th by now, I decided to do a little write up of a recent tournament I went to.

So at the end of April I took part in Echoes of War an ITC rules based 40k tournament held by my local club, Vale Renegades.
Just a quick plug for both the club and our venue… if anyone is local to Cardiff, UK then get in touch. We’re a friendly lot and our venue, Firestorm Games, will make lots of you green with envy!

So as mentioned it was an ITC based tournament, with 35 players in total. I am by no means a competitive player, and given lots of my friends took part I was happy to kick about on the bottom tables and just have a good time.

My list was as follows:
Castellans of the Imperium
HQ:
Coteaz;
Cataphractii Terminator Captain, standard, but with Auspex;
Troops:
Crusaders 1- SwrdBro w/PwrSwrd; PowerAxe; Flamer; 7x CCWs; LandraiderCrusader;
Crusaders 2- GravCannon; GravGun; 3x Boltgun; Droppod;
Crusaders 3- GravCannon; GravGun; 3x Boltgun; Rhino;
Crusaders 4- M.Melta; MeltaGun; 3x Boltgun; DropPod;
Crusaders 5- M.Melta; MeltaGun; 3x Boltgun; Droppod;
FastAttack:
Storm Talon – Skyhammer

Shadowstrike Kill Team
2x 5 Scouts;
2x 5 Vanguard Vets – 1x Lightning claws; 2x StormShield/Chainsword; 2x LightningClaw/PwrFist

So yeah my list definitely had an MSU feel about it. Coteaz had to be taken for the reason of making it Obj.Sec. However, I really have this niggling feeling that as he’s a psyker, I broke game fluff-wise, but also according to chapter tactics, but I was assured by one of my friends (T.O.) that it was fair game.

Our tournament missions had a mixture of Eternal War Primaries, Maelstrom Secondaries and tertiaries which changed with each mission, but Kill points was always one…

Game 1 was against a 30k Questoris Knights list. I had very little experience of facing knights before this and 0 against 30k knights. He had a Lancer as his HQ, and then three ‘Troops’ choices – Knight Crusader, Knight Acheron, and a Porphyhrion… Objective Secured Knights… I was concerned. The game was an interesting one, with hammer and anvil set up though, which suited the knights to no end! I hid from his shooting and fed him two droppods. It was brutal from him and he was able to peel killpoints off the table with ease. And thanks to the detachment, I kept giving him more to take! However, when those vanguards came down on turn 2, they hit hard! In one turn I’d taken out 2 knights and wiped him down to 50%. Nevertheless, that was all I could get from him and then continued to hide. We drew the game all round apart from Kill Points where he thumped me something like 11-4, and so took a major victory there.

For the next game I came up against an IronHands CAD lead by Celestine. Joining her were Vanguard Vets with Axes and Claws, and a Chaplain. Two lots of scouts brought LandspeederStorms but they deployed outside of them. Then he had a Laser Destroyer Vindicator, a Sicaran and a Knight-Acheron. Following the CAD was a Storm Wing. I wasn’t overly concerned with his list, but figured I needed to take out the threats first before dealing with Celestine… The Primary Mission was The Relic, which was worth a whopping 7 VPS with end game objectives worth 1 each. So that was the target. I tried to get my land raider up to the relic, but unfortunately had to turn back in order to gain some maelstrom points. Taking out the speeders was first thing which I dealt with quite swiftly. The Veterans did the business again, and smashed the knight on Turn 2- wow they hit hard! Then it was on to Celestine. What a mistake that was. I threw my second squad of vanguard in and they were immediately wiped. I was not prepared for how strong she was and she proceeded to beat me up everywhere. It was a very long and intense game, but I lost badly on the main objective and took another defeat.

Game 3 put me up against another Castellans of the Imperium detachment. I’d faced the same guy in our tournament last September and expected a relaxed and fair game with him. He brought Coteaz, Celestine, 2x Scouts with Storms, Sniper Scouts, and Battlesisters in an Immolator. Then he had 2 lots of 3xInq.Acolytes in Razorbacks, Sternguard in a droppod with flamers, a Stormtalon, a Leman Russ Executioner, and a Knight Warden. Another knight! I was beginning to feel a little inadequate. We had a large space-port style centre piece in the table and that meant the game was fought in a circle around it. Again my veterans took out the knight, but alas, they were caught by Celestine. I lost this game because of 2 reasons – the Landspeeder storms, and my inability to roll a glance! He had deployed them in my zone, and was able to control objectives well with them. I just was unable to take either of them out with shooting. Finally by turn 5 I decided enough was enough and I needed to charge… I don’t know why I didn’t do that before. I think I had compartmentalised my list into Assault, Objectives, and Shooting, rather than using them fluidly. Anyway, we had two pretty big events. My LandRaider Crusaders multicharged his LemanRuss, and the Immolator holding the Sisters and Coteaz. Though I took some hull points off, I failed to destroy either. It should have been an easy assault but the dice just said ‘no’. It happens! But then I realised if I had charged the Immolator only, I could have surrounded it and taken out Coteaz and the Sisters at the same time…. Sigh. I lost the game badly in the end, but again largely on kill points. MSU is good for table control, but it hands out kill points for fun.

After 3 losses I went into Sunday thinking it was all over and to just have a laugh- that’s why I entered anyway! Game 4 was against a Thousand Sons Daemons list. We had Magnus, of course, and 4 Tzeentch Daemon Princes. The Primary here was Slay the Warlord… guess who he was! I really wasn’t fancying my chances, but I figured I’d try my best. Finally my MSU helped me, and my opponent was just unable to take on all the threats at once. Coupled by the fact that his psychic phase was just not on song (I was expecting summoning galore!) I was able to spread out and control most of the objectives for the majority of the game. Don’t get me wrong, I still lost a lot of kill points, but I was able to counter it by winning the maelstrom and matching him on the Primary. A win!

Heading into the final game of the day I was happy with whatever outcome as I’d won a game and realised I was running something very sub-optimal. So Game 5 put me up against another Castellans of the Imperium. Again, featuring Celestine, Coteaz, but this one definitely had lots of variety and added an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor who set up three Servo Skulls. There were 2 lots of 5 scouts, and 2 lots of Tempestus Scions with Meltas. Heavy Support had Grav Centurions in a DropPod, and there was a Culexus Assassin to boot. The next detachment had a was a DarkAngels Allied lot, more Scouts, a Black Knight Command Squad with Apothecary – Guess who joined them! The DarkAngels also brought one of my most hated units in the whole of 40k – 3x Rapier Quad Mortars. Pure filth. Backing this up was a Null Maiden Task Force.  This List out-MSU’d my MSU! Thankfully this was the best game I’d played all weekend, and my dice were on fire. I had learnt from facing Celestine earlier on to let her do what she needs but to keep my distance. With that in mind I shot off just enough casualties from his troops to keep them just above being wiped out until later on, and brought down a squad of vanguard to take them out in one go later on. The GravCents came down and killed some marines, but my Templars were more than capable of charging in and taking off the wounds needed. But before that, those QuadMortars went to town on my poor marines. Thanks to the ServoSkulls there was minimal scatter and they did what they do. My second squad of vangaurds were tasked with dealing with them. He had placed Coteaz with them however, so they could intercept and make mince meat of me if I want careful. Thanks to a well-placed DropPod and locator beacon, they were able to be placed where I wanted and I was able to mitigate a third of his shooting… just! They then proceeded to jump in and hold them down until Celestine rescued them. But not before I’d taken out the whole unit and Coteaz too! I won the game well, and ended the weekend on 2W/3L.

Overall I placed 20th. I was happy with my performance considering how dire it looked after the Saturday. I was aware prior to the event of how sub-optimal my list was, and after I’d seen the lists of all the attendees (they were released the day before the event) I knew I was not going to be in the top third at all! There many Ynnari lists, War convos, and Tau suit lists, with the Top Three being Ynnari/RiptideWing, Orks&daemons, Orks&Renegades. Yes Orks twice on the podium is a turn up for the books but they had the beefier stuff to back them up.
I’m not a cheesy player at all, but if I was, I would definitely consider the ShadowStrike team again. They hit like a tonne of bricks, and if played cleverly can drag in the whole table. I would have gone for a larger squad of 10, and a second squad of 5, Given them all LC/PF combo and let them wreck havoc. The Castellans detachment is fun, and a nice way for Templars to get involved, but to make the most of it you have to go all in for troops and Droppods and then that come with its downfalls.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far if you managed to! As a club we’re going to start a League with 3 divisions of 7 players. We’re going to give 7th a last Hurrah (or Eff Off if you’re that way inclined), so we’ll see how that goes. I’m in Division 1, mainly because I’m a club stalwart, but I’m expecting some very tough opposition, so a relegation may suit me better!

• 2 years later...

... Here it is, right where i left it!

So as I posted in the *New Codex/Supplement HYPE!* thread, my poor templars took a bit of a break after the initial excitement of 8th edition.

I was like a lot of brothers here, and didn't like th enotion of invalidating my regular marines and replacing with guilliman's new hotness.

However, after a break I came down from my high horse a few months ago. I played a few games in my club's campaign at the turn of the year but only 2 or 3 so didnt really get back in to the Zeal...

Until now!

At the first hint of a new codex a few months ago, I started accepting Primaris into my life and have been slowly adding to my crusade.

In the next few days I'll post up some photos.

I still haven't played a game for a while, but i hope to change that next week. It feels good to be back

For Dorn!!

So... laaarrrrrge pic dump coming!

Sorry to the stubborn stalwarts amongst us (sorry firepower), this is all primaris.

First up, intercessors:

AWAj4MF.jpg

fcxD7vS.jpg

XZpZxKD.jpg

5Q56dQW.jpg

O1OPjW8.jpg

Agressors (I bought these guys already built otherwise I'd have gone for flamers for sure!):

WewGPKS.jpg

Rgyzbwz.jpg

Reivers:

dft9wcO.jpg

zdjC2Zi.jpg

Phobos Captain:

GQ0nxxR.jpg

Phobos Witch Lieutenant:

N5XqIEq.jpg

Phobos Lieutenant:

tCrUwq8.jpg

Infiltrators:

bGNIohk.jpg

xgioKjw.jpg

Up next will be 5 more Infiltrators, 3 Eliminators, and a Repulsor Executioner... That should bring me up nicely to Supplement time :)

Agressors just look damn good in Black. Might find themselves on my painting table Real soon

Yeah they certainly look mean!

As I said, I got those three ready built for a bargain price, otherwise I'd definitely have put flamers on. Even though the bolters are 'better' on paper.

Love them.

Very nice bases also.

Resin or home made?

Cheers man.

The reivers are stood on greenstuff- they were my first attempt at an ‘upgrade’ on my previous bases.

The rest of the primaris are standing on SuperSculpey with the bricks formed using one of GreenStuffWorld’s rollers