The Emperor's Harbingers: WIP LOG

Greetings all.

This marks the start of the sister thread to ‘Uverons Black Crusade – WIP LOG’. This thread will be dedicated to my efforts to build a “Small” force of imperial types who are defending a sector of the imperium against the might of chaos (aka my Black Crusade).

This is A to give me a break from painting chaos models and have some units I can use in diaramas, and B so I have a second home team, for when I build my gaming room in the next few years I have an army that I can use as a opostion for guests who may not have 40K armys with them.

So why Iam I starting this new amry now? Well I work in the Oil and Gas industry, and I lost my job in Febuary. I had a bank account that I had slowly been putting bit of money each paycheck, the plan beeing it was also to be our emergancy funds if/when I lost my job. Having now secured new employment I can now spend these funds on more fun things. The new job pays less so the accounts not been refilled so when its gone, its gone. As such I will need to be conservative as it will have to last me untill I can find a better paying job. But its something.

But back to the collection, so along with beeing given permission by my wife that I can start spending my ‘pocket money again’ I saw the thread beeing started by The Psycho kicking off the Tale of 18 Hobbyists, I had been debating for a few weeks what army I wanted to collect (see Here and Here), and the Tale of 18 Hobbyists looked just perfect. So with a Beer in hand I spent last night dreaming up a plan for the start of my new army.

So this is the Planned list that I will be trying to collect and paint during the To18H.

The Army itself will be primarily from the Blood Angels codex, but I will drop some Inquisitorial Allies in and may be some Assassins

Hidden Content

+++ The Emperor's Harbingers +++

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (~1500pts) ++

+ HQ (~200pts) +

Captain (Terminator)
Sanguinary Priest

+ Elites (750pts) +

10 Death Company Squad

Furioso Dreadnought [Drop Pod]

Terminator Assault Squad

+ Troops (~330pts) +

Scout Squad [Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles]
Scout Squad [Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles]
Tactical Squad [Drop Pod]

+ Fast Attack (~120pts) +

Assault Squad

+ Heavy Support (~135pts) +

Baal Predator

++ Inquisitorial ‘Allies’ (~250pts) ++

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband

So that’s the army. Now the plan for how I plan on collecting it!

In a thread over in the blood angles sub-forum I had a conversation about what a BA army should look like. And from this I built my collection plan which I broke out into a number of ‘phases’. Today I sat down and reworked this for the 8 month comitment to the Tale of 18 Hobbyists (including this month to prep for the Comp).

So this is the Plan for the collecting.

Hidden Content

Phase 1 (First 3 months- Oct16 to Dec16)

1 Start Collecting Blood Angeles Box

2 Box of Scouts

1 Drop Pods

1 Box of Assault Terminators?

If I use a discount retailer I can get this lot for around $180 which is a nice starting point.

Phase 2 (Next 2 months – Dec16 to Feb17)

1 Box of Assault Marines

2 Box Death Company

1 Libarian/Furioso Dread

1 Drop Pod

This will come around Cristmass so I hope that I can get some extra cash, but it will run to be around $170 if I use a discount retailer.

The that just leaves Phases 3 and 4. Which will run me another 150 each and will probaly have to wait till after I get my next higer paying job (which depends on the price of the barrel of oil). That beeing said phase 4 and 5 will be the following.

Phase 3

2 Razor Backs

1 Stormraven Gunship

1 unit of Sanguiary Guard

Phase 4

A 2nd start collecting box

A second 1 Libarian/Furioso Dread

2 more drop pods

So that’s the plan…. But I have some BIG questions to solve before I put paint to brush… (or even Plastic Cement to Plastic)

The question is how should I paint this army? Iam not goingto a trational Blood Angels force, I want something more unique so a successor chapter. I also want to use this as an opertunity to raise my game as far as painting and converting goes..

So first question is style… I kinda want something Blanchitsuesk, Has some strong Goth feelings… but at the same time I kinda want to avoid the use of Black, I want something slighty bold. Thinking Purpels, Silvers and Bone.

Below are some Space Maine painter posible schemes..

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_419069.png

Well I would love some advice and thoughts in that regard.

And that kinda wraps it up for now.. let me know what you lot think.

Edit: Made some changes to the list, and shopping lists.

Usually I am all for the black armor, but I have to say, in the bottom color schemes you painted, #2 looks the most dynamic to me. I want to like #3, but the way the colors come together, with just a touch of black highlighting, really makes #2 stand out. 

Try scheme #2 but lose the dark blue accents.  I understand the goal is to add contrast but are completely out of wack in terms of color compatibility with the purple.  If you really want to add a second contrasting color, go for a green, orange, or red.  Not blue.  Never blue, with Purple.

Try scheme #1 but lose the dark blue accents. I understand the goal is to add contrast but are completely out of wack in terms of color compatibility with the purple. If you really want to add a second contrasting color, go for a green, orange, or red. Not blue. Never blue, with Purple.

Seems everyone is voting the same here with scheme 2 for your guys.

And yes never put blue black n purple together...you end up with the bruiser bruvvers

Well it looks like Scheme 2 is a winner. 

I have a plan on how to paint it, The plan will be to get myself some of the army painter Bone Spray and use that as the base and paint up from that, it should help save some time and if it works well It will making painting the tanks and drop-pods alot easyer. 

Though other advice on painting tricks and tips I should be using would be great. 

And yes never put blue black n purple together...you end up with the bruiser bruvvers

How about the bat wings with a grail cup??? Gold wings black cup

I had thought about doing something different, but the fact remains that most of the models I will be picking up will have the BA standard logo sculpted on them. 

So I felt it may be easier to make the best effect by using a alternate variation of the logo. 

How about the bat wings with a grail cup??? Gold wings black cup

I had thought about doing something different, but the fact remains that most of the models I will be picking up will have the BA standard logo sculpted on them.

So I felt it may be easier to make the best effect by using a alternate variation of the logo.

Yeah there's that too, hah hah, such is variety I guess

Well I got some work done last night.

But as far as this goes I went though all my bits box's and moves parts I can use for my blood angels into its own little box, and then I assembled some Imperial Allies.

First up we have a old style assassin. I should have a vindicare assassin somewhere but at the moment I can old find an arm...

gallery_63905_11231_461728.jpg

I also put together an Inquistor and some henchmen. The Inquistor is from the old lord solar macharius model that I was given back in the day.. I didnt ever get the correct arms as it was given tome as a conversion for a D&D game I played as a Teenager but the new arms I think work to give him a fun look, just need a nozzle of sorts for the pistol to make it into a more strange "Archeotech" type item.

I also have started on his warband, got 5 of them together at the moment want to see if I can get a group of 12.

gallery_63905_11231_75960.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_1623947.jpg

I love your idea, also nice to hear the story surrounding all this.

For the scheme I'm going to go against the current and recommend a 4th option, the Lamenters (if not the chapter then the scheme):

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/a/ae/Lamenters_Battle-Brother.jpg

Yellow is so beautiful with the introduction of Averland Sunset. Making it dirtier, adding rust and other Blanchitsu things makes yellow even more amazing.

Next on my list after my current knight is making a yellow one ph34r.png

• 3 weeks later...

**Cross Posted from the Tale of 20 Hobbyists Tread**

Uverons Weekly Update (Week -2)

All,

As I mentioned last week to try and keep things organized I will be making a weekly posts to this thread to summarize what I have been doing and progress I have been making. I will try and outline my plans and what I have done in the week past. I am going to aim to update on Mondays as the weekend is my most productive time.

Review of Last Week.

Last week I picked up a box of snipper scouts and on Friday night sat down to put together. Decideing I did not want to use the standard heads I dug around in my “bits box” and found some scion heads to use, because of another project I also decided to use some imperial guard legs for sniper scouts.

Althought a few weeks ago I decided that I wanted all my marines to have helmets, I fell at the first model and the sargent of the scouts has a hat, but the face worked for the model so well…

Some images of the snippers below the cut

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_282629.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_1003296.jpg

I also found parts of another 5 scouts from previous box I brought to use in my chaos forces. But many of the parts were still availble. I needed some legs so I stole some from the sniper scouts, also again I used some scion heads.

I want to make a unit with a mix of close combat weapons and shotguns, I dislike the pistols and the weapons in the scout kit. So I made some minor changes to the combat blades, the pistols are something I want todo next week. Cut down the ‘Silencers’ and the scopes and make them look more suitable for close quarter fighting.

Some images for the second squad below the cut

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_1543785.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_708848.jpggallery_63905_11231_65918.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_324028.jpggallery_63905_11231_521679.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_887797.jpg

Plans for this Week.

This week the plan is to again focus on my well Chaos Marines I have a Grand Tournament Event (The Iron Halo) on the first weekend of October so need to get that force wrapped up.

Should have my spray paint for this army soon so will be able to get painting. I do also need to revist my army list and plans for painting this week and get them posted.

Ground Work for the Future.

Still no ETA on when the rest of the army will be shipped to me. I brought a pile of models from a online shop as I havent been able to get to a local store, well still waiting for the army to ship. Ah well.

Uverons Weekly Update (Week -1)

All,

Running a bit late as the site was down. But next follows my weekly update!

Review of Last Week.

Well my weekend started well, with the arrival of my order of models! I then spent most of the weekend putting together the infantry from the order.

The first model I put together was the Terminator Captain. Now After playing around with the model from the start collecting box, I decided that I would actually use the Sergeant Body from the Assault Terminators, with the arms of the Terminator Captain as it gave a very different pose to the model, and the robes and cape worked well together.

Now I had decided to avoid using un-helmeted heads, so I looked though the plastics I had and decided that the MK3 Power-Armor head looked ok as a head for the Terminator Captain, and mirrored conversions I had done for my Chaos forces. But looking at these pictures over the last few days I have started to second guess myself? So I ask should I just find a un-helmeted head or leave it with the head he has now?

gallery_63905_11231_1577951.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_691719.jpg

The next unit I put together was the Tactical squad; I built the squad to be ran as one large 10 man unit or two 5 man units. Happy with this squad really nice kit.

gallery_63905_11231_1101164.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_70591.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_1645133.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_805852.jpg

Then we had were the Assault Terminators, don’t have the best pictures of this squad but I liked putting this unit again together. I started to stick the shields on them and then I decided that I should wait until after painting… sadly the glue had set on two of them before I made that choice, I didn’t want to force the bond too much as not to damage the model.

gallery_63905_11231_1272721.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_1261482.jpg

Finally I have Scouts. Getting a 3rd box of scouts allowed me to put together 16 scouts… 5 snipers, 1 Missile Launcher, 2 Snipers and 8 with Pistols and Close Combat weapons, Like the Tactical the Close combat scouts were built to be ran as a 10 man squad or two 5 man units.

gallery_63905_11231_1062046.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_1436405.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_234574.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_400183.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_839594.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_121248.jpg

Plans for this Week.

This week once again he plan is to again focus on my well Chaos Marines I have a Grand Tournament Event (The Iron Halo) and then attend the event. I have taken off work on Monday the day after the event so I will make a start on getting thing ready for actually Painting!

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Awesome work brother I really like your bits choices I the scouts they look awesome as do the tacs and termis. As for the captain I really like that helmet but it doesn't appear to fit quite rite I would either shave down the back side you won't see or extend the ring around the top of the armour. Just a thought ;) I can't wait wait to see these fellas with paint on.

Awesome work brother I really like your bits choices I the scouts they look awesome as do the tacs and termis. As for the captain I really like that helmet but it doesn't appear to fit quite rite I would either shave down the back side you won't see or extend the ring around the top of the armour. Just a thought msn-wink.gif I can't wait wait to see these fellas with paint on.

Yep, I think Iam going to try and remove the helmet and see if I can get it to sit better. Depending on how the Plastic Bond it the head may be damage by the removal, in that case I will replace it with a bare head.

Uverons Weekly Update And First VOW!

Review of last week.

Well last week for me was mostly about my Chaos Marines and getting them ready for the Iron Halo GT. The event is over and I did OK… I did walk away with a Limited Edition Captain as a prize from the event (See Below) and I will probably work on converting him tonight into a Captain for my Blood Angels. (I do need a night off from painting after spending all week doing touch-ups on my GT list.

gallery_63905_11231_924029.jpg

I also did find some time to do some work on the Harbingers. I got looked again at the Terminator Captain. As noted by Pyroclast91 on my WIP thread the head wasn’t fitting right. But as I feared trying to get it moved back damaged the head. So I removed it and replaced it with a bare head. The suite itself took a little bit of damage but nothing a quick bit of liquid Green stuff will not cover before / painting up as a bit of battle damage. I think I prefer this head, has a more 40K feel to it… the part machine, part flesh look.

gallery_63905_11231_702545.jpg

THE FIRST VOW!

As the event has now started in Earnest, I will make my first vow..

I, Uveron vow on the honour of all of the sons of Sanguinius, to paint a Unit of 6 Space Marine Scouts with Sniper Rifles, and One Vindicare Assassin. For a Total of 258pts.

gallery_63905_11231_416372.jpg

These Units are part of my larger plan which can be seen below the cut (Vowed units in Bold), I own all the following units I do plan to add to the list as the months pass so I expect by the end of the event I will have closer to 2000pts finished but for now Iam only listing units I own and will be painting!

Hidden Content

+++ Tale of 20 Gamers- THE EMPERORS HARBINGERS (Total 1521pts) +++

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) ++

+ HQ (305pts) +

• Captain (160pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta bombs, Power fist, Storm bolter, The Veritas Vitae, Warlord]
  • Captain (Terminator) (145pts) [Digital weapons, Storm bolter, Thunder hammer]

+ Elites (225pts) +

• Terminator Assault Squad (225pts) [4x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield]

+ Troops (453pts) +

• Scout Squad (108pts) [Camo Cloaks, Missile Launcher, 5x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]. Scout Sergeant [Chainsword, Sniper Rifle, Veteran Scout Sergeant]
  • Scout Squad (70pts) [3x Combat Blade, 4x Scouts, Shotgun]. Scout Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Combat Blade, Melta Bombs, Veteran Scout Sergeant]
  • Scout Squad (55pts) [3x Combat Blade, Scout Sergeant, 4x Scouts, Shotgun]
  • Tactical Squad (220pts) [Heavy flamer, Meltagun, 9x Tactical Marine]. Tactical Sergeant [Chainsword, Inferno Pistol, Veteran Sergeant]. Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

+ Heavy Support (115pts) +

• Baal Predator Squadron (115pts); Baal Predator [Twin-linked Assault Cannon]

++ Inquisition (128pts) ++

+ HQ (74pts) +

• Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor (74pts) [Carapace Armour, Force Sword, Inferno Pistol, Psyker (Mastery Level 1), 3x Servo Skulls]

+ Elites (54pts) +

• Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (54pts): Acolyte [Carapace Armour, Chainsword, Hot Shot Lasgun, Acolyte [Carapace Armour, Chainsword, Hot Shot Lasgun], Acolyte with Special Weapon [Carapace Armour, Hot Shot Lasgun, Power Weapon]

++ Officio Assassinorum (145pts) ++

+ Elites (295pts) +

• Callidus Assassin (145pts)
  • Vindicare Assassin (150pts)

My Plans for the week, are to finish building the rest of my models to get some units primed and start painting the first Vow.

Archived