GreyRaven's Consecrators

Chaplain Raeven

Time to document my progress on the my new consecrators. I already a couple of terminators to 'test the waters'. They collected dust for a couple of years, until GW decided to release B@C. I couldn't resist the temptation to buy the box, so my cancelled Consecrator-project is back on the schedule. This will be a slow project, since the pauldrons for these guys are damn expensive. 

Here are my old terminators with my recent Azrael:

I'll have to do a couple adjustment to their heraldry, but that's a concern for later.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28421_zpsnmdv8cvp.jpg

Up next is the future tactical squad:

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28431_zpsi3thmtnp.jpg

And as last, but not least, my little piece of WH/RT-history:

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28451_zpsnfyan6sc.jpg

I have to thank you Major Gilbear. Your tutorial for your bases is very usefull! And you introduced me to milliput, that stuff is amazing!

Finished my test model today. I'm quite happy about the result. I took some liberty with the heraldry and weapons, but nothing more than a change of colour.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28491_zps0r2eva5u.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28501_zpshtokmpa5.jpg

GRC, if you want to test the shoulders with the "shield" under the Consecrator chapter symbol so it's more "plastic", let me know, I could ship you a sample of 1 each from those you can see on my models.

Other than that, awesome models as always. Setting the bar way too high :(

GRC, if you want to test the shoulders with the "shield" under the Consecrator chapter symbol so it's more "plastic", let me know, I could ship you a sample of 1 each from those you can see on my models.

Other than that, awesome models as always. Setting the bar way too high sad.png

Do you mean the ones with the white circle around the emblem? I tried to prevent using those, since I'm terrible (seriously, I really suck) with white colour. It's also why my tactical arrow is red. I appreciate the offer, you're way too kind. smile.png

Finished my test model today. I'm quite happy about the result. I took some liberty with the heraldry and weapons, but nothing more than a change of colour.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28491_zps0r2eva5u.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28501_zpshtokmpa5.jpg

Awesome looking model! Good job!

Other than that, awesome models as always. Setting the bar way too high sad.png

Do you mean the ones with the white circle around the emblem? I tried to prevent using those, since I'm terrible (seriously, I really suck) with white colour. It's also why my tactical arrow is red. I appreciate the offer, you're way too kind. smile.png

Drop me your post adress in PM, I actually have remains of the set you are using that I don't fancy so I will forward these to good hands as well :) And maybe, perhaps, definitely some other goodies I have from popgoesthemonkey.

Awesome looking model! Good job!

Looks good to me.

Thanks!

Drop me your post adress in PM, I actually have remains of the set you are using that I don't fancy so I will forward these to good hands as well smile.png And maybe, perhaps, definitely some other goodies I have from popgoesthemonkey.

PM'd. May I ask why you don't like those particular models? Those pads are expensive, so it seems quite brave to me that you buy a whole set to experiment blink.png

More consecrator goodness, nicely done. I like those HQ characters and the watchers with them.

Thank you! Your Consecrators are what convinced my to go for it. Your amazing WIP-thread is locked in my browser for further inspiration.

I have to admit, I am jealous. I am going to have to paint some Consecrators at some point. They are just so Cool looking. Reminds me of earlier editions.

They are fun to paint! I wasn't looking forward to painting black, but it is quite forgiving if you follow Duncan's method.

They look nice and crisp, well done. smile.png

Quite a lot of red on them, which I admit makes them look rather different from what you normally see. I might be tempted to use the company heraldry for the right knee instead of doing them all-red. What I mean, is that each company has a specific "pattern" associated with it (and the DA use pretty much the same as the Ultramarines/Codex Astartes). This lets you identify the company, keep the red, and do something a bit unique too.

The Dark Angels company markings:

http://www.40kforums.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12382&d=1353472675

The Ultramarines company markings:

2a98af38a268728a9a89a402c7a2d3c8.jpg

The 6th and 7th Co symbols are switched around for the DA, and also note that the Ravenwing 2nd Co markings are the same, but only really visible on the BKCS:

99120101097_RavenwingCommand01.jpg

I might be tempted to do the backpack panel in dark silver rather than red too, just to help it look a bit more sinister, but still break up the black a bit.

All that said, I do like the "Red Period" look to them. smile.png

Excellent advice, like usual! The red kneepad was a placeholder until I figured out a way to mark my squads. I thought about numbers, but the lines might actually be a better idea. Maybe the UM-version for the 4th company, but what to choose as second colour.... Bone? Green? Black?

To be honest, I like the red on the backpack. It's one of the few spots of colour on the back of the mini, so more pleasing from my perspective on the tabletop laugh.png

But I'd be a fool to ignore advice. I was thinking doing something special with my sarge. Since it would be benificial for me to not use red on the pack then, I'll try your sugestion with his pack.

Drop me your post adress in PM, I actually have remains of the set you are using that I don't fancy so I will forward these to good hands as well smile.png And maybe, perhaps, definitely some other goodies I have from popgoesthemonkey.

PM'd. May I ask why you don't like those particular models? Those pads are expensive, so it seems quite brave to me that you buy a whole set to experiment blink.png

Yes, they are pricey, but they looked really well and thus I ordered a "test" run of both those with and without the round background so I can decide better in the future which design suits me - I mean, they are expensive (still about the same as FLGS price for the DA upgrade kit I'd have to get if I were going on with Dark Angels) for sure, but then you have to take into account that there's 10€ish postage fee, therefore it makes more sense to actually take a pack each rather than 1 and then decide you don't like them. So yay for actually finding someone who can fully utilize them. And let's be honest, we've all burned more than 40€ on this hobby by purchasing kits we didn't really need.

PS: I've already asked Matt to design 30mm vehicle insignia and Cataphractii shoulders, should be up in next 14 days, cca.

Yes, they are pricey, but they looked really well and thus I ordered a "test" run of both those with and without the round background so I can decide better in the future which design suits me - I mean, they are expensive (still about the same as FLGS price for the DA upgrade kit I'd have to get if I were going on with Dark Angels) for sure, but then you have to take into account that there's 10€ish postage fee, therefore it makes more sense to actually take a pack each rather than 1 and then decide you don't like them. So yay for actually finding someone who can fully utilize them. And let's be honest, we've all burned more than 40€ on this hobby by purchasing kits we didn't really need.

PS: I've already asked Matt to design 30mm vehicle insignia and Cataphractii shoulders, should be up in next 14 days, cca.

I know what you mean, but I made up my mind pretty early, thanks to your Marines actually. I saw your pads with the circles and thought "No way in hell am I going to fiddle with the white circle inside that emblem." It looks great, but I do not have the patience for that (And I really, really detest painting white). I bought a set of tactical markings instead of extra pack of insignias. That way I had enough to outfit one squad and evaluate the looks of it. It came out better than expected, Matt does a decent job, although the height of the emblems are a bit large.

Hmmm, I was going to leave my cataphractii's bare... Might as well wait and see for the results.

I know what you mean, but I made up my mind pretty early, thanks to your Marines actually. I saw your pads with the circles and thought "No way in hell am I going to fiddle with the white circle inside that emblem." It looks great, but I do not have the patience for that (And I really, really detest painting white). I bought a set of tactical markings instead of extra pack of insignias. That way I had enough to outfit one squad and evaluate the looks of it. It came out better than expected, Matt does a decent job, although the height of the emblems are a bit large.

Hmmm, I was going to leave my cataphractii's bare... Might as well wait and see for the results.

Yeah, I kinda cheat by just airbrushing white on top of the basecoated shoulder pad and then just correcting the darker shade around the circle, it's far easier that way.

I hear you on the height of the emblems, it was my first concern I raised with Matt after the receipt of them. He tried to alter the design, but Shapeways were unable to print the alteration. I have, however (and will pack 1 sample to you as well), terminator shoulderpads from CustomMinis that are far more shallow and thus, less defined and the painting of them I was unable to produce as crisp and defined result. But I will let you to be the judge on that.

Btw there are Consecrator decals here at the forum, not sure if you found the link yet - have them, using them, loving them - great for banners and whatnot.

Ugh, shapeways and their worthless, unzoomable pics. I'll take a look at it, might redo one of my terminators to try it out.

What pads do mean for Cataphracti? Seems to me like he already has some nice models: Icon & Ornate

Yeah, I mean they look far better on the design picture, but in reality they don't really work that well.

He does, but those are Dark Angels. I asked for the Consecrator design, so I expect he would put the Consecrator logo there somewhere. We'll see how it goes.

Excellent advice, like usual! The red kneepad was a placeholder until I figured out a way to mark my squads. I thought about numbers, but the lines might actually be a better idea. Maybe the UM-version for the 4th company, but what to choose as second colour.... Bone? Green? Black?

I would just do the shape in red on black - keeps it dark and lets the red stand out. That's what I like about the company markings really - the ancillary colours are of distant importance.

Another thing that I observed was the personal heraldry back banners of each company Captain normally incorporates both the company colour and the company symbol: link. So agaon, whilst you may not want to use the colours, the patterns could make for excellent company and captain banner designs.

To be honest, I like the red on the backpack. It's one of the few spots of colour on the back of the mini, so more pleasing from my perspective on the tabletop laugh.png

But I'd be a fool to ignore advice. I was thinking doing something special with my sarge. Since it would be benificial for me to not use red on the pack then, I'll try your sugestion with his pack.

There's nothing wrong with the red - as I said, I do like it!

However, if you want to make it less obvious, another idea might be just to edge the backpack panel in red rather than painting the whole thing?

For your Sergeant, there's a cool DA Vets backpack which has a sword through some candles on it (and the backpack has some skull nozzles too). I say "cool", but I actually dislike the sword quite a lot! However, if you trim the sword out of the candles, you can paint the candles red, which will help your Serg stand out and emphasise the relic-look of the armour.

5 guys down, 30 more to go. I gave my new lightbox a try, but it looks like I'll need to buy new lamps to make it somewhat decent.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28561_zps4oyhxs9c.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the company markings. The latest attempt was hideous, so these are still with the temporary red pads. I'll give it another shot with the batch I'm working on right now.

Archived