GreyRaven's Consecrators

Chaplain Raeven

Thanks Major!

Okay, I finished the first 9 of the 10 guys of squad 1. Now it's the sergeants turn. I usually give the sarge a different colour of helmet, but I'm kinda in doubt which one to take. These are the options I am thinking about:

A. Red helmet with bone stripe.

B. Bone helmet with red stripe.

C. Red helmet with black stripe

D. Other..

Edit: Bloody emoticons

I quite like (A), as it's a bit more Codex-compliant, and therefore "fits" if you ever want to run your Consecrators as Codex: SM "Allies" to your regular DA. ;)

Another option (which I've suggested on other occasions in the past but never seems popular with folks ) is to use silver for the Sergeant's helmet. In this case, rather than rendering the Iron Skull emblem as either a physical icon or a heraldic red, you paint the "skull" (i.e., helmet) as "Iron" (i.e., silver).

Thanks Major!

Okay, I finished the first 9 of the 10 guys of squad 1. Now it's the sergeants turn. I usually give the sarge a different colour of helmet, but I'm kinda in doubt which one to take. These are the options I am thinking about:

A. Red helmet with bone stripe.

B. Bone helmet with red stripe.

C. Red helmet with black stripe

D. Other..

Edit: Bloody emoticons

I think that option C would look nice, but any of them would be acceptable, in my opinion.

Why not a bone stripe? According to the wiki on consecrators the terminators have bone white helmets so a bone helmet with red stripe seems like its a higher rank than that but like I always say its down to your own preference like for example all my terminators will probably stick with black helmets (if I ever get around to painting them)

As for the progress, they are looking really nice, really like that old terminator model.

Why not a bone stripe? According to the wiki on consecrators the terminators have bone white helmets so a bone helmet with red stripe seems like its a higher rank than that but like I always say its down to your own preference like for example all my terminators will probably stick with black helmets (if I ever get around to painting them)

As for the progress, they are looking really nice, really like that old terminator model.

Woops, that was suposed to be one of the options. It might be an easier solution. I wouldn't have to repaint the helmets of my current terminators then.

I was wondering if you finished your terminators. Weren't they part of your vow from last years ETL?

I went for DR's sugestion with the bone stripe. The other options would giving too many problems.

- A red helmet would be too much red for the model, since that particular colour is already used so much elsewhere.

- A bone helmet would mess up the yellow eyes, it's like you would use orange eyes with a red helmet.

- The silver helmet isn't something I particulary like, Major. I did one GoC-marine a while back, and I dumped it in a bath of dettol right after finishing it. But thanks for the sugestion msn-wink.gif

I painted the sarge with the bone stripe for now, and it looks good. Too bad I can't complete the model completely yet, need to finish the backpack yet.

Thanks for the comments gents! It might be better if the quality of the picture wasn't so :cussty. I really need to invest in some decent lighting.

Bob has large stones, either that or Bob is addled by Chaos...why is Bob advancing? Bob is dead and doesn't know it yet.

Stobz approves thumbsup.gif

biggrin.png

Cultist Bob wants to please Khorne by spreading blood across the planet. Too bad Khorne cares not for whose blood is spilled. Too many small letters in the Khorne-dex.

Wait doesn't Painting Servitor 3-1M/0 call you Bob...

Omg it's confirmed Stobz is a cover he is a Chaos Cultist....

As for you Grc... Great work as usual man.

Secrets have been revealed. Would you mind sharing some tea with me this afternoon? Tea is served at 1 P.M. in room 42. Dress casual (robes).

Looking good, I think Bob had second thoughts the second that terminator raised his claw in a kinda "You sure you want this?" pose.

'Hmmm, Khorne protects. I'll take my chances.'

I think Bob's about to be slapped into next week! >. <

There won't be much left of Bob to reach next week.

The Consecrators are growing, and with a new B@C-ish box announced, that growth may increase. So to prevent screwing myself over like I did with my DA, I should probably decide how I'm going to deal with my hierarchy. I outlined my vision underneath, please give me your thoughts about the subject. I'll use the CWF-tag for stuff that is compliant with the current available fluff.

- Basic marines: Black armour with red helmetstripe (CWF)

- Sergeants/ minor vets: Black armour, bone helmetstripe and bone accents (a knee or an elbow)

- Veterans: Black armour, red robes & red helmetstripe (CWF)

- Command squad: Black armour, red robes & bone helmetstripe

- Elites (Terminators & others): Black armour & bone helmet. (CWF)  Sergeant wil have a bone helmet with red stripe. 

I'm not sure about the commandsquad. I might consider going for a similar scheme as the elites (the bone helmet). It might reflect their service with the Deathwing and their induction within the Inner Circle. 

Bone might be used to indicate earned honours. So a bone stripe shows that the marine has earned his rank of sergeant by honourable combat.

After being promoted to Veterancy, he trades in his bone stripe for the greater honour of a red robe. (To stay true the current fluff)

Then promotion to the Deathwing for a bone helmet and red stripe.

Commandsquad is still up for debate.

The likes are nice, but they aren't helping, Arkley and Stobz laugh.png

Maybe this will make you more talkative:

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28851_zpsrw4kdkfj.jpg

These guys aren't finished yet, but since I was trying out my new lightbox, I snapped some pictures. My image still looks soo yellow-ish, is that the fault of the light or of the camera?

EDIT: I messed a bit with the settings of my camera. Is this a better picture?

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28861_zpsrtzaoh0n.jpg

Those boys are looking good buddy. I second Arkleys suggestion of the wash, but I know you said these guys aren't done yet.

As for the photo, the color in the 2nd is certainly a lot more crisp, and looks more "true". Though unfortunately by adjusting the settings, you've created a bit of glare. Where exactly is your light source coming from? I know when I was using a light box (before it got destroyed) I was using 3 lights: one on either side and one from the top to cut shadows out.

They look nice man smile.png Now get that Consecrators chapter symbol on them to be perfect tongue.png

Oh if you want me to be picky? tongue.png Add some Agrax Earthshade on the red borders of other colours to add more depth?

I meant the text from yesterday biggrin.png

The Chapter symbol is on hold until I find some transfers. Using customs pads is making me a poor man.

Taking your comment to heart, I gave the red surfaces and the tassels a watered down earthshade. Looks pretty nice, thanks!

Those boys are looking good buddy. I second Arkleys suggestion of the wash, but I know you said these guys aren't done yet.

As for the photo, the color in the 2nd is certainly a lot more crisp, and looks more "true". Though unfortunately by adjusting the settings, you've created a bit of glare. Where exactly is your light source coming from? I know when I was using a light box (before it got destroyed) I was using 3 lights: one on either side and one from the top to cut shadows out.

Thanks for the comment, the wash has been applied after your remarks. smile.png

I probably made the mistake to take the pictures with a sunny window at my back. I'll try to take the next ones with 2 lightsources, instead of 2 and sunlight at the back. My camera has some issues with focussing.

They look nice man smile.png Now get that Consecrators chapter symbol on them to be perfect tongue.png

Oh if you want me to be picky? tongue.png Add some Agrax Earthshade on the red borders of other colours to add more depth?

I meant the text from yesterday biggrin.png

The Chapter symbol is on hold until I find some transfers. Using customs pads is making me a poor man.

Taking your comment to heart, I gave the red surfaces and the tassels a watered down earthshade. Looks pretty nice, thanks!

Yeah the shapeways ones are quite expensive. As for transfers if you are just going for pure white in the case of these guys or red for standard look at Fallout Studios, yes my experience was bad but getting them yellow was a mistake on my part.

I probably made the mistake to take the pictures with a sunny window at my back. I'll try to take the next ones with 2 lightsources, instead of 2 and sunlight at the back. My camera has some issues with focussing.

Ah yes, that'll largely influence the quality of the photo. Mixing natural and artificial light will really confuse the camera. Shadows will confuse it. Background noise will confuse it. Lol there's a trend.

Id recommend going with 2-3 lights and just mess around with them. Move them around to different angles and distances. Take many, many pics. I find for every 8-9 pics I take, I'll get 1 that I like.

Just my 2 cents. I'm still learning my camera settings myself. Im sure someone will post up better advice soon enough (looking at you Major Gilbear ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

'Finished' the first squad of tacticals. 

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28891_zpsatsvjn2a.jpg

And I based the Terminators. So until I get some transfers or something else to mark them,I'll call them 'done' for now.

Oh, I washed those shoulderplates with a watered down shade, like sugested, and they have a nice shade of red now. Thanks for the hint!

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN28881_zpsgvcd6sbx.jpg

Archived