Black Book - The Eastern Expansion Campaigns

simison

So with part of this book focusing on the Insurgos and the Shadow wars I was reminded of the Shadow Wars missions in Retribution. Part of those missions includes a roll-off, which is modified by Legion as well as army composition (Super-heavy, Vigilator, Recon squad). I am assuming that those missions will be remaining as they are for our own continuum. So I guess we'd need to figure out what modifiers the various Legions would get to this roll-off.

For those who don't have the book the modifiers are as follows (the roll-off is 2D6, for reference):

• Vigilator Consul (+1)
  • Recon Squad (+1)
  • Super-heavy Vehicle (-2)
  • Iron Warriors/World Eaters (-1)
  • White Scars/Space Wolves/Night Lords/Blackshields (+1)
  • Raven Guard/Alpha Legion (+2)

I would suggest that we stick to the same overall modifiers and in roughly similar numbers. Also the other legions provide no modifiers to the roll innately. So... Thoughts?

I count 7 legions represented. So, I think the Halcyon Wardens should be either neutral, unless you think there's a good reason they should be -1. 

I count 7 legions represented. So, I think the Halcyon Wardens should be either neutral, unless you think there's a good reason they should be -1.

I think they​ would be fine at neutral. My own thoughts on the matter (biased as they probably are) are as follows:

(+2) - Grave Stalkers/Dune Serpents

(+1) - The Predators/Steel Legion/The Drowned/Blackshields

(-1) - Iron Bears/Wardens of Light

(0) - Everyone Else

The first group are our premier stealth legion's so they make sense here. For the next the Predators are known for ambushes, the Steel​ Legion have advanced recon ships and units, and the Drowned feel like they would be very capable of being underhanded. For the penalty group the Iron Bears seem very direct in their approach to battle and use heavy equipment more readily than many of their fellows, and the Wardens of Light are much to shiney to hide well ;) (also they have that whole honour thing going on too).

Obviously, this is based on my interpretations of the varying legion's, so if anyone has ideas to the contrary please say.

No disagreements in 12 hours, I think you're good to go, Grifft. Actually, the Scions should have a bonus as the premier fast infantry legion. Looking at the differences between +1 and +2 seems to be the difference between having a penchant for speed and a mastery of stealth tactics. So, I recommend the Scions have a +1, which is also why I'd argue that the Drowned should get +1.

Damn, thought I'd mentioned that. I need to sleep more.

I considered the Void Eagle's for the last slot because of their large fleet assets allowing for them to rapidly redeploy on a scale and in a way that the other Legions probably can't.

When the Day of Revelation arrived, the Morning Stars would be in the ____ system, leading the Steel Legion towards Yucahu's fleet. The Brass Lord had received earlier orders that he was to embark on a joint campaign with the Steel Legion and the Morning Stars, per the orders of the Warmaster as relayed by Icarion. As we now know, the Morning Stars were preparing to avenge almost a century's worth of humiliation at the hands of their erstwhile Primarch. Although not powerful enough to strike against the Void Eagles alone, the Morning Stars eagerly handed over Void Eagle vox encryption codes, current officer lists, and other sensitive information to the Steel Legion. Finally, the Morning Stars were given the honor of the first salvo, an order straight from Icarion himself in a calculated move. 

It was solely by chance that the Morning Star warships were unable to take up position besides the Ala Lux. Never one to observe diplomatic niceties, Yucahu had been in the middle of a strategy meeting when the Insurrectionist forces arrived. Rather than end the meeting, Yucahu merely sent an acknowledgement before requesting an information upload of the new forces to verify previous information. An upload was sent as the Traitor ships began to close the distance between the two fleets. As the first Morning Star cruiser passed through the outer picket ships, Yucahu noticed a discrepancy in the new report. The captain of one of the Morning Star vessels, [Rank] [Name], had been replaced by [Name]. What had caught Yucahu's eye was that [Name] had been listed as [rank] as recently as a week ago. He promptly sent another request for clarification.

[skal, where is that organization/rank list? I'm not sure where to find it. Also, any suggested names?] 

Apologies for the double post. Subedar it is. I'd also like to note that it's really hard using that spreadsheet from a phone. Anyway, two more questions to fill out this piece. One, where are the Void Eagles ambushed? Two, who commands the Morning Stars?

Mashhad commands the Morning Stars. I'm not sure where the ambush occurs - could we get the sites plotted on the Galactic Map, actually?

This is a good question actually, I would think if the Insurrectionists are setting Yucahu up with false orders from the Warmaster they'd want to send him somewhere they'd have the advantage, somewhere the Eagles would be isolated from any potential help, somewhere the Innies can keep them contained and prevent them from just charging their warp drives and bugging the hell out as soon as everyone starts shooting. Maybe somewhere deep in Insurrectionist-loyal space where they'll have no safe haven from the storm hot on their heels, perhaps some stellar anomaly like a nebula field that might interfere with the VE's sensors?

It was solely by chance that the Morning Star warships were unable to take up position besides the Ala Lux. Never one to observe diplomatic niceties, Yucahu had been in the middle of a strategy meeting when the Insurrectionist forces arrived. Rather than end the meeting, Yucahu merely sent an acknowledgement before requesting an information upload of the new forces to verify previous information. An upload was sent as the Traitor ships began to close the distance between the two fleets. As the first Morning Star cruiser passed through the outer picket ships, Yucahu noticed a discrepancy in the new report. The captain of one of the Morning Star vessels, Subedar Arshiwan, had been replaced by Ashgar. What had caught Yucahu's eye was that Arshiwan had been listed as Subedar as recently as a week ago. He promptly sent another request for clarification, thinking little of the change but wanted a completely accurate measurement of the Morning Stars.

The Morning Stars' fleet commander, Zamindar Sohrak Mashyan, responded with a fabrication about Warp damage that had wounded Arshiwan. Against a less studious commander, the excuse may have worked. However, Yucahu had one of his ships report on the damage dealt to Ashgar's vessel to verify the information and promptly learned that the warship in question was undamaged. Confused but not yet suspicious, Yucahu sent another command for clarification. 

By this point, the Steel Legion's fleet was entering the outer zone of Void Eagle warships, while the closest Morning Star vessel was 18,000 kilometres from the Ala Lux, outside the range of the Lance batteries. To Mashyan's fury, he could not risk Yucahu learning of the trap before the Traitors could release it. Ignoring his Primarch's last order, Mashyan ordered the Morning Stars into full combat readiness and to fire at will. 

[san, I think having the battle take place over a planet is enough to prevent the Void Eagles from simply running at the outset.  That still leaves the question of where though. I'd imagine that ideally they'd be located in the Galactic East, having to fight past Styx or Madrigal to reconnect with Imperial lines. Does this story make sense? Or is Mashyan's excuse too transparent? I'm trying to make the detail small and obscure enough that only a Primarch's mind could catch the problem. Better yet, am I going overboard with the part of the Morning Stars' chapter?]

[san, I think having the battle take place over a planet is enough to prevent the Void Eagles from simply running at the outset. That still leaves the question of where though. I'd imagine that ideally they'd be located in the Galactic East, having to fight past Styx or Madrigal to reconnect with Imperial lines. Does this story make sense? Or is Mashyan's excuse too transparent? I'm trying to make the detail small and obscure enough that only a Primarch's mind could catch the problem. Better yet, am I going overboard with the part of the Morning Stars' chapter?]

Yeah being in orbit over a planet makes sense, maybe the Void Eagles are using a space station there to re-arm and re-fuel their fleet while they wait for their "allies" in preparation to depart on this new mission "the Warmaster" has for them? This could further stack things against the Eagles if the Station itself is loyal to Icarion and has it's defence grid ready to savage the VE as soon as the ambush begins, maybe locking a few Eagle vessels in their docking cradles to prevent them from running and make them easy prey to boarding by the station's forces.

The Galactic East sounds good for the location, even if the Eagle make it out of the trap they then have to run the gauntlet of possibly hostile worlds and traitor fleets hunting them to make it back to loyalist space, even then it could lead to some delicious drama between the loyalists once they get back given that the orders that lead them into the trap were supposedly sent by Alexandros, cue the paranoia.

Story-wise I think it all makes sense for the most part but Mashyan's excuse doesn't seem suspicious enough, it could easily be explained away with something like "oh we stopped by a small port on the way here for repairs, hence the no damage." Perhaps maybe Mashyan explains the officer in question died from wounds sustained in the last battle they were involved in, Yucahu then presses for more information, askes who they were fighting, Mashyan says Orks, Yucahu then gets suspicious as this battle seemingly wasn't included in the info packet they sent the Ala Lux to update their records, demanding a full report on the engagement from Mashyan in person once his strategy meeting is complete, intending to scould Mashyan for his apparent tardiness and lack of respect for protocol. Mashyan grudgingly submits and states he'll grab a shuttle over in immediately before closing the com-link, believing Yucahu's caught on Mashyan panics and contacts the SL to begin the ambush immediately before Yucahu can act. What do you think, does that sound more convincing?

As for the Morning Stars taking too much of the spotlight I don't think we need to worry too much about that, this is their big moment after all, their chance to avenge years of dishonour, shame and the (in their eyes) corruption of the empire they bled and died to build, the Steel Legion are just there to make up the numbers and ensure the job gets done.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Alright, I'll switch it out for the Ork story. 

Meanwhile, Skal, I have a question that I left in the Void Eagle thread that needs to be answered before I can continue work on the IV.

• 2 weeks later...
For exemplary battle layout, Loyalists will be 3-battles, while the Steel Legion can use either the 2 format since they're Suzerainty or just the 1.

Just 4-5 more weeks and my Bac will be done and boy do I have a lot of writing to do when it is. In the mean time, I have a proposal. We've previously been working to a word count of 6000 words per Part, divided into 6 1000 word Chapters. I propose that for the sub-books we reduce the minimum word count of a Part to 3000.