Steampunk Skitarii

helterskelter

Ironwood forests used to be a thing. And they provided 3+ saves (the same as power armour) so it seems that forests exist within the 40k universe that could be used for this. I don't think you will find any wooden land raiders, but the armour level of most ad mech units seems to be fine. (just boost the likes of knights and such with extra force shield generators)

YES! That's perfect. And I agree with Bats, here. I'd say your FW has come up with a method whereby they impregnate actual trees with a sort of advanced polymer that gives it incredible resilience. Since we're talking about 40K, all the sudden your FW is based on a forest planet like Endor and the forge is either buried deep underground, or (my preference) built into the forestn canopy like an amazingly counterintuitive treehouse. Talk about something unusual! That might explain their different outlook as well, as perhaps they're committed to the abundant energy sources that occur naturally on their planet: water and wind, so they don't pollute the environment nearly as much. The rich tapestry of wild creatures could account for the leather coats as well, made from the hides of megafauna that roams the few unforested plains. Man, this is just cool... 

YES! That's perfect. And I agree with Bats, here. I'd say your FW has come up with a method whereby they impregnate actual trees with a sort of advanced polymer that gives it incredible resilience. Since we're talking about 40K, all the sudden your FW is based on a forest planet like Endor and the forge is either buried deep underground, or (my preference) built into the forestn canopy like an amazingly counterintuitive treehouse. Talk about something unusual! That might explain their different outlook as well, as perhaps they're committed to the abundant energy sources that occur naturally on their planet: water and wind, so they don't pollute the environment nearly as much. The rich tapestry of wild creatures could account for the leather coats as well, made from the hides of megafauna that roams the few unforested plains. Man, this is just cool... 

In this case, they are almost certainly lead by a Magos Biologis, as they would probably be the only ones who care about biological resources and are capable of engineering the trees and other such creatures.

I've ran out of likes to administer to you all so instead I went for it and tried it out on a big panel. Enjoy :D

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/Lamenterkyle/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09-08%2016.18.42_zpsncuxpahe.jpg

And tree house forge sounds awesome! May have to combine a few ideas here I feel we're on a roll!

Yeah, that works so well. I think you'll still need to add a wash and maybe a light drybrush or edge highlight to give it some depth, but it's really working.

Looks like double washing is the way forward as it's already had 1 on the wood, shall do the edge with the dry brown i have. Odd that I never thought I'd enjoy painting a colour so much as I have done brown ( also have some sylvaneth on the go :p)

Funnily enough, my FW is on a forest world. They have forges in the mountains where they harvest geothermic energy. The colours are in greens and browns with black and cream for taste. Anyway, a few of the forges had a nasty spat with each other, scrap code was exchanged, and now rogue servitors run wild in the forests below with all manner of nasty beasts.

Of course, the big difference here is that I wasn't a genius to come up with a heavy steampunk theme utilizing wood veneers :tongue.:!

Still top notch work we're all seeing :thumbsup:!

I wonder if this would work on space marines too.... Some plague marines painted this way could be fun.

I tried this on a Defiler years ago for all the paneling, but it didn't look anywhere near as good as helterskelter's efforts!

Really excited to see more!

I wonder if this would work on space marines too.... Some plague marines painted this way could be fun.

I tried this on a Defiler years ago for all the paneling, but it didn't look anywhere near as good as helterskelter's efforts!

Can you show us a wee little link so I can have a butchers? I'd like to see that.

So a verbal teaser, all the wood has been lined in, going through the process of picking which parts to do gold/iron/beige then I'll wash/edge highlight/wash all over and should be done.

Also been distracted by the newest update on eternal crusade so the painting is going a little slower, should have something worth showing by either Sunday night or monday :D

I tried this on a Defiler years ago for all the paneling, but it didn't look anywhere near as good as helterskelter's efforts!

Can you show us a wee little link so I can have a butchers? I'd like to see that.

I'll gladly have a look, but it was quite a while ago - and has just been repainted! My logic at the time was actually scoring the plastic with a hobby knife to add additional depth before painting, just to make it look more like wood or bark. I thought that was the best way to line it at the time!

I'd be particularly interested to see what you do when it comes to some of the other models in the range... Ironstriders etc.!

Just a little tease

Feth, that's BEAUTIFUL ! I especially love the cream-coloured sections, very Steampunky :)

Now I'm getting an incongruous idea of a contrasting malachite green that could be included into some parts for some very small details...

Bruh. Dude. Amazing. It's so tightly packed in one end of the color wheel it's almost a monochromatic scheme, but even that is working despite conventional wisdom. I'd actually be careful about a contrasting spot color because it's going to pop like sizzling bacon. Part of me wants to tell you to keep it sepia and tell people to deal with it. Talk about against the grain...

Archived