A new crusade! The Sabbat Worlds Crusade

Bastian

Good evening fellow Templars!

I am returning to 40k with newfound ZEAL.  I have dusted off my collection of Templars and posted a list to for comments and criticism as I complete my first 100pts.

As mentioned in that post, I really like everything about the Emperor's Champion; that model got me into the hobby many, many years ago.  I've always liked the fleet based aspect of the Templars, and picture my army as shock troop deployed from the skies to aid an ally or ambush an amassing enemy force.  Drop Pod Crusaders, Gunships, and Dreadnaughts arriving in the middle of the enemies deployment zone and tearing them to pieces before the enemy can react.  

I am still collecting and forming my mold for the army.  I am afraid my current lists do not include enough shooting after the pods have landed, and will lose remaing marines to adjacent fire.  (I'm not too sure of the armies at my local store, although I've been told there is at least one other Space Marine player)

I will hopefully begin to start painting the units I own while more arrive to complete the list, so stay tuned for some updates this weekend/next week.

I want to model the army as a force that has been traveling Segmentum Pacificus since reports of the Tanith Invasion.

Mostly I'm eager to get everything finished and start playing a few games.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  

Thanks!

For years ... literally years ... I have hemmed and hawed about making a space marine army because I was so concerned about making "The Perfect Crusade" or whatever.  In the last week or so (since the start of the Imperial Fists Expansion) I have been more productive than ever.

The thing that changed ... my attitude ... no longer am I looking for the perfect crusade/legion list ... now I'm just powering through small goals ... one unit at a time.  Will this 10 man squad of tactical marines be of any use to my Imperial Fists?  I dunno ... but they're almost done and that's more important to me right now.

For too long my Templars waited while I studied army lists, tactics, amassed bits, watched tutorials ... to what end?  An unfinished crusade that has languished.

Do not be like me brother ... do not be paralyzed by the pursuit of perfection ... gather up your crusaders and purge the enemy

For years ... literally years ... I have hemmed and hawed about making a space marine army because I was so concerned about making "The Perfect Crusade" or whatever.  In the last week or so (since the start of the Imperial Fists Expansion) I have been more productive than ever.

The thing that changed ... my attitude ... no longer am I looking for the perfect crusade/legion list ... now I'm just powering through small goals ... one unit at a time.  Will this 10 man squad of tactical marines be of any use to my Imperial Fists?  I dunno ... but they're almost done and that's more important to me right now.

For too long my Templars waited while I studied army lists, tactics, amassed bits, watched tutorials ... to what end?  An unfinished crusade that has languished.

Do not be like me brother ... do not be paralyzed by the pursuit of perfection ... gather up your crusaders and purge the enemy

Pursue of perfection is for the Emperor's Children... and we all know what happened to them... be shackled by your duty instead, use those chains to bind you, not to the dream of perfection, but to the reality of performing deeds for the cause of the Imperium.

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade Brother... I have posted my review of the list you posted in the Army List section... hopefully it helps...

A good way to start a Crusade nowadays is to get the starting models... an Emperor's Champion is a great way to start, but a Chaplain helps the Crusade chug along (a barebones chaplain makes for a good force multiplier HQ)

I also like the theme of Drop Pod insertions with aerial support, that's what I themed my Crusade as after all... I played a lot of Dawn of War (I, II and all the mods and expansions), and since then I always viewed Space Marines as an extremely mobile fighting force... not like the Imperial Guard or 30k Marines who uses loads of really big tanks, but more of smaller fighting forces that pack a lot of punch before moving on to the next target. So I avoided any tank that would seem to undermine that idea, such as Fellblades or Titans... having loads of Drop Pods is also nice, since you could convert some of them easily enough to be a Deathstorm Drop Pod or take off the internal restraints to create a Dreadnought Drop Pod.

If you're planning Orbital Assault forces, then I'd recommend the Angels of Death book as well... the two Formations (Skyhammer Annihilation Force and Ravenwing Formation) work really well for that tactic and they are found in that book. The best baby steps, if you're going for an Orbital Crusade... get Drop Pods... ;)

Hopefully that helps, and remember that any mention of Scouts, Psyker love or the fluff in the new CSM may cause the paddleum of ol' grumpy Firepower to bear down on you...

May your Zeal burn the hotter, and may your blades be drenched in the blood of the enemies of man.

Brothers, I repent in my perfectionist desires and will see our Chaplain for penance!

I've updated my list to include a Raptorwing and included a Chaplain. This list is actually the first one of many that I am truly passionate about, and have some fluff floating around for the brothers serving.

Eternal Warrior: Thank you for the words of confidence, good luck with your Crusade! I'll be watching for its emergence.

Kisada: For some reason, I was trying to get everything I wanted into that list, when I had an epiphany that I can try out those units in increased point levels! I have a list of units that I want to create and include when the time is right. I will mention your helpfulness to the Chaplain!

Marshal_Roujakis: Your experience and crusade have helped cleanse my thoughts and forge my army. I think my new list will bring the true power of a Templar army. I would be honored to serve under your command!

Now to order some more vehicles and paint to show my enemies just what it means to face the Black Templars!

Good hunting against the Xenos, Witch and Heretic in your days to come!

• 3 weeks later...

Brothers,

I have returned from my quest to rally the knights of Dorn for the beginning of this crusade.

May I present those who have joined us so far:

Emperor's Champion and Command Squad

This is Emperor's Champion Bastian with his fellow Sword Brethern Command Squad next to their Drop Pod. Their loadout is: Apothecary, 2 Melta Brethern, and 2 power weapon and storm shield Brethern (sword and axe).  I had some difficulty trying to include the second melta (previous owner mustve used plastic cement) so I ended up attaching a melta to the backpack of the chainsword/bp marine.  Pretty pleased with the unit so far, I just need to get some green stuff and file down the backs of the storm shields to mount to the axe/fist brother and pistol of the power sword brother.

Ranged Crusader Squad

These are the ranged knights ready to spill bolter shell, searing melta, and las rounds upon arrival on the field.  Their Drop Pod is currently being prepared by Techmarines before the Crusade departs.  A few of these guys need a new paint job to remove their previous chapter designations.  Also, the sniper and CC scouts are filling in until I can get some bolter scouts.

Close Combat Crusaders

Finally, the more ZEALous brothers determined to bring chainsword, power axe, and sword to their enemy.

I had a few distractions come up while I was getting this part of the army together.

Soon I will be receiving air reinforcements in the form of two Stormtalons and a Stormraven, abandoned by Ultramarines from a previous war in this system.

Once I can finish this third pod, I'm going to get some paints and begin work.

I havent touched a brush in about 5 years, but I'll start slow and post the updates here for C&C.

List to follow in another post.  Let me know what you think!

You may come to regret having fully assembled those when you get to brushing.  Particularly the bolters.  But it all depends on the standard you're going for.  My brothers are in many, many pieces throughout the painting process, because I'm meticulous (read: obsessive) like that. :lol:

The pics are too fuzzy/small for me to tel for sure, but don't forget to drill your barrels ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Firepower:  I've realized what  pain this will be.  Such is the result of youthful ZEALcombined with the methods of other Marshals....

Ahem, on to the good news. I will be playing my first 1k game since 5th ed.  It will be a 2v2 game.

+Transmission received+

-Black Templars Crusade en route to a local manufactorum world-

"My lord we've picked up some coded messages from the native populous to what appears to be... an Astartes company!"  

"Pull it up on the screen, Sergeant"

Emperor's Champion Bastian sighed as read the communicae before him, "This does not bode well brothers, the local populace reaching out to our cursed brethren for help..."  Combat with Death Company is always...interesting, he thought. "Luckily they will enjoy shedding the blood of these xenos scum.  Prepare the men."

Combat against Tau was never easy, as he reflected back to his days as an initiate.  Many transports were destroyed engaging these cowards.

As the men prepared, Bastian received a message from the neighboring Astartes ship in orbit. "Hail, Son of Dorn," the Chaplain greeted. "It appears we will shed the blood of these creatures today. I know we have our differences, but I am asking for a favor, Brother to Brother." "What on Terra could this be about.." Bastian wondered.  The Chaplain continued,"My fellow Blood Angels are especially eager to engage the enemy, many with me will see their last fight today.  We do not have time to prepare our transport, and my logs indicate that your Techmarines have not begun to awake your Stormraven.  I would ask that you let us charge in to battle in your gunship, while you advance."  Bastian paused before he responded, "Your request has been upheld. My men will begin to awaken it's spirit."  "Thank you, Brother.  See you on the ground."

Bastian cut the communication, and immediately turned to his Company Sergeant.  "Sergeant, change of tactic.  Prepare our Drop Pods, I'll be damned if those lunatics earn the glory today.  Especially in my ship".  "Yes, my lord."

As he walked into his arming chambers, Bastian allowed one final thought before his mediation began.  We may die today, but I will not let history think that those mad men had more ZEAL than we do.

+End Transmission+

• 1 month later...

I'm back after a few ground missions and too much time sucked into the warp. I have some highlights since my last transmission: sniped a Tau warlord two separate times with a Meltagun Initiate and had the Emperor's Champion and his honor Guard roll up a Blood Angels Terminator Squad with a Termie Captain and Corbulo. The Champ even insta-killed his opponent!

However, I ask for some advice: I'm playing an 1850 against the Tau Friday. The mission is a modified Relic to incorporate a new member of our gaming circle and get him some experience with his Tyranids. We have made the Nids Neverending on a 3+ once they've been wiped, and the Nids will be emerging around the Relic turn 2.

I have a few lists floating in my mind, but any experience from the veteran players here would be more than appreciated. I'm thinking of podding dreads and dropping them in between the Tau deployment and the relic, and rushing my army forward to get to the objective as quickly as possible.

Finally, heres a few photos of my army as it stands with a Storm Eagle waiting to be built and a Techmarine on its way.
gallery_93626_12468_245309.jpg

gallery_93626_12468_523852.jpg

Archived