REF - Book Outlines

Grifftofer

I'm happy to have the Nightguard supporting the Abyssii. Will the Abyssii's part in Book 7 be largely focussed on the siege of Nox by the Insurrectionists?

That was my primary idea for now. Another idea is to have the Abyssii part of the Solar Seg. defence when Icarion makes his second big push and end up facing off against the Cognis. What is the general timeline for the Abyssii's involvement?

The general timeline I have in my head is obviously heavy involvement in the Schism of Mars, and after that supplementing the Segmentum Solar forces, maybe helping out with the Xana incident, plus the Taghmata Serghar would be helping out on the Eastern Fringe where they can. As the Insurrection pushes closer to the galactic centre, Nox will fight more and more defensively, until ultimately Nox is sieged and finally blockaded by the Insurrectionists. After that, the Abyssii involvement outside the Segmentum Solar will tail off dramatically outside of whatever small forces and support they can get out of Nox (toying with an idea for a /very risky/ plan regarding the Douvior systems). Plus there is obviously Serghar charging around after the Lost Angels for their techno-heresy.

When the war nears Terra the Abyssii will be actively engaging the Insurrectionists where they can, and since Mortera by this point would be Fabricator-Locum of Mars (if she hasn't already offed Kane) they would be a large part in the Terran defense forces. Obviously throughout this time, Mortera would be scheming with regards to getting rid of Kane

In that case, I like the idea that the Abyssii launch a counter-assault and specifically target the Cognis once the blockade on Nox is lifted. They can be responsible for preventing the Cognis from reaching Terra in force in a massive Mechanicum vs. Dark Mechanicum battle. 

What role was the Abyssii to play on Terra?

I very much like the sound of that

Archmagos Rex and his Myrmidons will likely be found shoring up a breach in the defenses, holding back the attackers with punishing waves of fire. Serghar would be hunting enemy commanders. Discut would likely be alongside Rex, since they're both Ordo Reductor. Mhal would be combating enemy automata and war machines through essentially screaming binary. And Mortera would probably be in some sort of command or advisory role, using her tactical accumen, until she is dragged into the fray personally

Plus their fleets in orbit and various armies

• 3 months later...

So, to widen the scope of my thoughts mentioned in the Book 2 thread, it occurs to me that each mini-book will need at least one faction to feature. Guess what time it is? REVAMP!

Insurrection - Unchanged. It's the one book that can't be transformed into a mini-trilogy due to having two general history chapters that do not split well into mini-books. 

Expansion

• Book 2A - The Maelstrom Conquest - Factions: Void Eagles, Morning Stars, & Shepherds of Eden
  • Book 2B - The Eastern Theater - Factions: Dune Serpents, Steel Legion, & Venom Lords
  • Book 2C - Rescue of a Primarch - Factions: Predators

Emancipation

• Book 3A - The Southern Echelon - Factions: Updated Scions rules, House Toho, & Legio Gojira, Warbringers
  • Book 3B - The Center Echelon - Factions: Fire Keepers
  • Book 3C - The Northern Echelon - Factions: Halcyon Wardens, Legio Tempestus & House Zivich, Updated Iron Bears

[Escalation?]

• Book 4A - [The Eastern March?] - Factions: Berserkers of Uran
  • Book 4B - [battle of Gidion Rift?] - Factions: Crimson Lions & Heredes
  • Book 4C - [siege of Cadia?] - Factions: Leonic Auxilia & House Harkon

[Implosion/Shattering/Dissolution?]

• Book 5A - Return of the Berserkers/Border Skirmishes - Factions: Daemon Raktra and Corrupted Berserkers & Nightguard
  • Book 5B - The Strelan Purge - Factions: Warriors of Peace [Perhaps a short campaign section and a long general history section?]
  • Book 5C - First Invasion of the Suzerainty - Factions: Daemon Koschei and Corrupted Godslayers

[Corruption?]

• Book 6A - Plague of Despair - Factions: Daemon Morro and Corrupted Drowned & Corrupted Insurgos
  • Book 6B - Chaos Undivided - Factions: Daemon Travier and Super-Corrupted Eagle Warriors & Corrupted Insurgos
  • Book 6C - Collapse of the Eastern Front - Factions: Traitor Predators

[Extermination?]

• Book 7A - Invasion of the Abyssii system - Factions: Cognis 
  • Book 7B - Holding the line - Factions: Abyssii
  • Book 7C - Counter-charge - Factions: [sisters of Cydonia?]

[Illumination?]

• Book 8A - Second Invasion of Solar - Factions: ???
  • Book 8B - Retreat to Sol - Factions: Wardens of Light 
  • Book 8C - Invasion of Madrigal - Factions: [New Suzerainty Units?]

[Decapitation/Conflagration ?]

• Book 9A - Invasion of Sol - Factions: ???
  • Book 9B - Destruction of Madrigal - Factions: Empowered Icarion and Corrupted Harbingers
  • Book 9C - Final Battle in Webway - Factions: THE EMPEROR!

So, there's actually a lot more room with this new set-up...well, actually, equal room, but we never completed the roster for the old list. The Knights Errant probably still need a slot. We can fit in plenty of Knight Houses, Legios, and other factions that don't actually require rules. 

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, how are we handling book naming conventions between the trilogy name and the mini-book name?

Edited by simison

Maybe the minibooks symbolize an aspect of the trilogyname? For example:

Trilogy Name Destruction book1 war book 2 shattered hope book 3 survival

AndI want the vocal and -ion rule for the trilogy names!!

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Toho should go with the updated Scions and be joined by Gojira.

I'm wondering about sticking Damon Redd in Book 2, effectively subbing him for Nibaasiniiwi in Insurrection. Sim, Da Chief would like to hear your thoughts on that idea before he decides.

Perhaps we ought to do the same with Antonidas (though again, as an author avatar, I can understand Slips having reservations) for fluffiness (besides Fulgrim in Betrayal and Sigismund and Alpharius in Extermination, FW has tied characters to events pretty closely).

Conflagration for the finale? And I'd add the Nightguard.

Edited by bluntblade

Toho should go with the updated Scions and be joined by Gojira.

I'm wondering about sticking Damon Redd in Book 2, effectively subbing him for Nibaasiniiwi in Insurrection. Sim, Da Chief would like to hear your thoughts on that idea before he decides.

Perhaps we ought to do the same with Antonidas (though again, as an author avatar, I can understand Slips having reservations) for fluffiness (besides Fulgrim in Betrayal and Sigismund and Alpharius in Extermination, FW has tied characters to events pretty closely).

Conflagration for the finale? And I'd add the Nightguard.

1. Done

2. I'm not sure what's the difference, is this purely fluff?

3. I'll wait to hear back on that.

4. In mini-book A? 

After rereading all of the titles to the canon HH books, I'm not going to make it a rule that all of our 'trilogy' titles start with a vowel and end in -ion. It'd be really nice if we can make that work, but I'm already struggling to keep that going as it is. 

So, let's just make sure we have the most pertinent titles. 

Now, I want to try to put some guidelines into place. I want to put a limitation of 2 whole Legions as the maximum for a mini-book (which makes Book 2B tricky) and a maximum of four half-ruleset factions. Finally, there can always be at least 1 non-rule faction. 

Maybe the minibooks symbolize an aspect of the trilogyname? For example:

Trilogy Name Destruction book1 war book 2 shattered hope book 3 survival

Sounds good. 

Another name suggestion: Decapitation

For which book?

2 is kinda fluff, just with a view to readers meeting the heroes when they're onstage.

4 - yes. Though I wonder if the invasion of Sol and the Siege shouldn't get a Calth-sized piece like in Tempest.

I have no issues with the Iron Bears moving characters around.

But at what cost? Should we shorten the Madrigal siege? Remove the initial thrust into Seg. Solar? Or do you see a third option?

Also, seriously people, feel free to start suggesting factions be added in. 

Dont't know. Maybe Decapitation fits book 9.

It's Icarions attempt of getting rid of the Emperor. The final showdown. He's going All In. EIther he is able to decapitate the Imperium or he looses. Turns out that he indeed looses and his forces are headless now, resulting in their fracture. The executioner became the executed.

Still, the Imperium lies in ruins. The Emperor was embedded within the Golden Throne. The Warmster is dead. All that remains is a shattered vision and its vengeful sons.

New leaders have to rise. The Insurrection is over and a new era awaits. All that is left is revenge.

Somehow, Icarion was successfull...

I'd say Conflagration captures the scale of it a little better :p

I'd make Madrigal less a siege, more a desperate, devastating shock attack. We should consider that Icarion will use Warp storms to protect his realm, so the Suzerains might turn up totally unlooked-far.

While we're not pimping the Solar Auxilia, we probably ought to include them (and maybe an Interex faction?) in some battles. I'd use some of the more powerful Traitor Insurgos for the Solar War, particularly Malis' faction.

Ah Sim, we want Toho and Gojira with the Scions in Book 3. Skal and I discussed Pionus confronting Kozja around this time, so maybe introduce them there (saving some units for 5) along with some Novadeka regiments?

I've moved Toho and Gojira to Book 3A. 

Also, Battle of the Forge continues to look strange to me. Two questions. One, where is the 'Forge' located in the galaxy? Two, were the Predators going to be involved?

Ah Sim, we want Toho and Gojira with the Scions in Book 3. Skal and I discussed Pionus confronting Kozja around this time, so maybe introduce them there (saving some units for 5) along with some Novadeka regiments?

I've moved Toho and Gojira to Book 3A. 

Also, Battle of the Forge continues to look strange to me. Two questions. One, where is the 'Forge' located in the galaxy? Two, were the Predators going to be involved?

I believe Iyacrax was supposed to be in the galactic north east, near the Ghoul Stars(hence the Iron Bears, or some of them at least, washing up there). And no, the Predators were not going to be involved

Could we involve the Predators? Are any Primarchs involved? 

Blunt has also suggested that we bump up the Warbringers to Book 2C. Actually, we could use some names for these mini-books. For developmental purposes, should future book threads cover the entire trilogy or just the mini-book? 

Could we involve the Predators? Are any Primarchs involved? 

Blunt has also suggested that we bump up the Warbringers to Book 2C. Actually, we could use some names for these mini-books. For developmental purposes, should future book threads cover the entire trilogy or just the mini-book? 

Kozja, but that's it. The idea was that it was a badly outnumbered loyalist garrisson, bolstered by a force of Iron Bears fleeing Kataii, who end up facing off against a large part of the Warbringers in a Stalingrad style grind to the finish. So I very much doubt that we could shoehorn the Predators in, particularly given the battle of the Forge ends in an uneasy truce, as both sides withdraw due to the world's industry having been so thoroughly destroyed in the fighting that it's not worth fighting over any more

I'm wondering about instead giving Kozja the role of leading a Traitor advance on Seg. Solar during Book 3, necessitating a massive push to halt him. Have him annihilate some garrisons on the way, sell his importance properly. Skal and I wondered about Kozja and Pionus fighting an inconclusive duel that nonetheless leaves Kozja worried about his place among the Insurrectionists. Wouldn't be too hard to add the Predators to that, and Andezo could tip the balance in the duel, driving Kozja into retreat with his credibility intact.

I'm wondering about instead giving Kozja the role of leading a Traitor advance on Seg. Solar during Book 3, necessitating a massive push to halt him. Have him annihilate some garrisons on the way, sell his importance properly. Skal and I wondered about Kozja and Pionus fighting an inconclusive duel that nonetheless leaves Kozja worried about his place among the Insurrectionists. Wouldn't be too hard to add the Predators to that, and Andezo could tip the balance in the duel, driving Kozja into retreat with his credibility intact.

I believe when I first presented the idea of Icarion's initial push on the Seg. Solar, I proposed that the "fist" aimed at Terra itself could be composed of the Warbringers, Eagle Warriors and Harbingers. Given that Iyacrax takes place in the run up to that first push, as part of Icarion's attempt to build up his resources, Kozja can do both

Maybe, but if we're really going to hype Kozja, I'd put him in command of a major front and have fighting the Scions, Predators etc. be his first real setback. Iyacrax could very easily be led by a Knyaz instead, sparing Kozja the indignity of getting stalemated by a bunch of Astartes.

I'm thinking in terms of making the conflict seem massive, and things like having several spears going for Terra, Praetors leading major offences and defences without a Primarch in sight, will go some way towards doing that. Consider that Extermination offers up a great big battle where the main players are a Great Company Captain of the IW and an AL Harrowmaster.

Kozja commands the Southern Front during the First Invasion of Segmentum Solar. He is opposed by Pionus who is commanding the Loyalists. So, there's a possibility to see Kozja as an able commander. 

The problem with Andezo rescuing Pionus, is that he's on the opposite side of the galaxy. Though it would not be hard to have a Predator unit/detachment who is fighting alongside the Scions and everyone else on the Southern Front. 

I am hesitant to have a Primarch lose a campaign to Astartes. While I'm not going to say it's impossible, this would be the first time Kozja is 'on-screen' and he comes off poorly for it. 

Actually, I'll go one step further. Should Iyacrax get a spotlight in one of the mini-books. I'm more inclined to save it as a potential supplement mini-book and instead focus on another Eastern campaign heavily involving Andezo and the Predators.

Finally, I do agree that having campaigns with no Primarchs involved would add to the universe's depth. After all, I've continually hammered the point that the Primarchs are not everywhere and the Legions themselves have their own separate identity. But where to find the room? 

Kozja commands the Southern Front during the First Invasion of Segmentum Solar. He is opposed by Pionus who is commanding the Loyalists. So, there's a possibility to see Kozja as an able commander. 

The problem with Andezo rescuing Pionus, is that he's on the opposite side of the galaxy. Though it would not be hard to have a Predator unit/detachment who is fighting alongside the Scions and everyone else on the Southern Front. 

I am hesitant to have a Primarch lose a campaign to Astartes. While I'm not going to say it's impossible, this would be the first time Kozja is 'on-screen' and he comes off poorly for it. 

Actually, I'll go one step further. Should Iyacrax get a spotlight in one of the mini-books. I'm more inclined to save it as a potential supplement mini-book and instead focus on another Eastern campaign heavily involving Andezo and the Predators.

Finally, I do agree that having campaigns with no Primarchs involved would add to the universe's depth. After all, I've continually hammered the point that the Primarchs are not everywhere and the Legions themselves have their own separate identity. But where to find the room? 

Yep, Andezo is fighting on another front. BUT I still got two chapters, the Phantom Blades and the Ebonspears, which are traveling through the Imperium, still looking for a mean against chaos. They could jump into this fight and support Pionus.

Regarding Primarch looses against Astartes: Battle of Phall. The only reason Perturabo and his men came out alive was the retreat call from Dorn. Otherwise, Pollux might have won. So, why not? :)