REF - Book Outlines

Grifftofer

Keep the format as close to FW as possible in order to be accepted as a likeable project and then spice it with the anthologies as the icing of the cake.

It's been almost 24 hours. 

Votes as it now stands:

• The Vanguard - 0
  • The Center - 5
  • The Rear Guard - 4

Hm, that's pretty close. Can somebody poke Grifft for his vote since he'll be doing the work?

Where should Blunt and IHF praetor outlines go?

Id be inclined to say either during the fluff section or just before the anthology

I think they belong in the fluff, between Organisation+War Disposition and exemplary battles.

Why here? Doesn't that break the flow of the textbook-style?

Because they're part of the Legion's fluff, just like the Astartes profiles in the FW books. That's where those profiles go with FW too.

But even the profiles are in the same style, unlike the anthologies.

Since Grifft abstains and no one else has voted, we'll go ahead with the Center. (Though now we need to define 'Center'.)

This was because IHF didn't want to mimic the FW style of art. Broadly they serve the same role, so I think they should go in that space. Anywhere else and they wouldn't really fit, whereas coming before the exemplary battles, they give the reader something to visualise for the characters calling the shots.

Bear in mind that unlike the FW books, we don't have a heap of pics in the history section to convey the vibe - we can do so with the Harbingers, but they're the exception so far.

Edited by bluntblade

OK, I think it's time we went over these again. I think this is how it stands:

Book 1 - Revelation [all complete]

• Prelude [to be done?]
  • The Madrigal Purge (Harbingers vs HW) [complete]
  • The Kataii Ambush (IB vs GS and GS) [complete]
  • The Perfidy of Untara (SH vs Drowned) [complete]

Book 2 - Scission

• [all complete]
  • Mars (HW, FK, Abyssii vs Cognis among others) [complete]

Book 3 - Expansion

• Prelude [complete]
  • Introduction: The False Empire [complete]
  • Conquest of the Tayargund Reach (Harbingers vs FK and Shepherds of Eden) [complete]
  • Nox [WIP]

Book 4 - Subjugation

• Prelude [complete]
  • Introduction [to be done]
  • Iphigenia and Macragge [WIP]
  • The Lion's Hunt (CL vs Geno regiments)
  • The Agony of Chalcea (BoU) [WIP]

Book 5 - Attrition

• Prelude [to be done]
  • Introduction: The Pieces Set [WIP]
  • Iyacrax (IB, Halcyon Wardens(?), Predators(?) vs WB and Godslayers(?)) [WIP]
  • Something with Blackshields and Chimarae? [hypothetical]

Retaliation

• Prelude [complete]
  • Foleith (prologue, VE) [Complete]
  • Evacuation of Thelum (VE and WoL vs WoP) [Complete]
  • The Eastern Fringe (DS vs SL and Drowned, followed by Predators) [WIP]

Emancipation

• Prelude [to be done]
  • Siege of Delos (HW vs EW) [Early WIP]
  • Battle of Revan (SH vs WB) [Very early WIP]
  • Fire Keepers vs Berserkers? [Hypothetical]

Escalation (Or Decimation, though my vote would be Eradication or Conflagration)

• Prelude [complete]
  • Introduction: The Torn Veil [to be done]
  • Blood Crusade general (CL vs BoS and EW) [WIP]
  • Cadia (same as above, but with IB and possibly Nightguard in supporting role - this could be misremembered on my part) [Early WIP]

Secession

• Prelude [to be done]
  • Introduction: Turned Cloaks [to be done]
  • First Battle of Xandria [Hypothetical]

Hypothetical at this stage and no place set: Recantation

• Various smaller campaigns, taking in the Shepherds of Eden, Grey Wardens, Morning Stars and Hammers of Malis as well as Blackshields

I haven't managed to keep track. How close is this to what we've got now?

Bump.

Edited by bluntblade

Looks good to me - had you got something in mind for the blackshield/chimerae battle in attrition? (I'm all for having another battle alongside Iyacrax)

I think we'd mentioned grave Stalkers rather than godslayers for Iyacrax, but godslayers would fit better thematically (it's a siege, and Iyacrax would be perfect for showing some early nurgle influences on Aleksandr Kharkovic (sp?) )

EDIT: having quickly counted up the factions in presence again for the Day of Revelation + War of Expansion, i'd recommend not including the Halcyon Wardens on Iyacrax, as they have 3 certain battles, the only legion to have that many

Yeah, I want to emphasise Aegar Vyrn, the remnant Shepherds of Eden and their merry band. They're on the borders of Tricendia, so it's a good chance to emphasise how the Insurrectionists are working to isolate it.

Chymerae-wise, we've plenty of options between Bears, Scions, WoL and Lions.

They (the Shepherds) seem to be present for the Tayargund Reach already - wouldn't it be better to show the (eg) Morningstars?

How about Morningstars and Scions Hospitalier? They both have the excellence in combat thing (and morningstars, while not exactly "blackshields" aren't necessarily far off) perhaps it could be a Scions Hospitalier and Shepherds of Eden vs Morningstars and {?} Battle?

Otherwise, a portrayal of the Steel Legion touching on "evil" would be interesting i think, showing Nomus' temptation towards chaos before he rejects it entirely

We could also include a third battle in attrition in a similar way to the othrr books?

This was because IHF didn't want to mimic the FW style of art. Broadly they serve the same role, so I think they should go in that space. Anywhere else and they wouldn't really fit, whereas coming before the exemplary battles, they give the reader something to visualise for the characters calling the shots.

Bear in mind that unlike the FW books, we don't have a heap of pics in the history section to convey the vibe - we can do so with the Harbingers, but they're the exception so far.

Because they're part of the Legion's fluff, just like the Astartes profiles in the FW books. That's where those profiles go with FW too.

But even the profiles are in the same style, unlike the anthologies.

Since Grifft abstains and no one else has voted, we'll go ahead with the Center. (Though now we need to define 'Center'.)

While I understand the attempt to use 'literary pictures', it feels like it's breaking the tone here. The red books are clearly supposed to be in-universe material, while the anthologies are out-universe material. That's also why I don't mind the anthology being placed between the fluff and crunch since the crunch is very obviously not in-universe. Placing the anthology between the War Disposition and the Exemplary Battles, however, does break what is in-universe and what is out-universe.

I meant the praetor sketches and profiles going there, not the anthologies!

:wallbash:

Well, with that resolved, we will place the anthology between the fluff and crunch.