Deathwatch - 27/05/20 - Star Dragon

sockwithaticket

And another one, this time from made up chapter the Gryphons Rampant.

876429_sm-.JPG876430_sm-.JPG876431_sm-.JPG876432_sm-.JPG876433_sm-.JPG

Intially started as a Golden Griffon, but then I actually checked on them having seen the name and the Chapter symbol is completely different. The stalker is an older version of the Anvil Negotiator rifle. and I broke the preferred barrel so cut it down to just used the tip. Also left the racking (? if that's what you can call it) on the main body to which attachments can be mounted, so this one looks a little different to the other one my Raptor has. After abortive attempts to get a convincing left handed firing pose I've tried to make him look like he's adjusting his scope

I agree. The gun fits the bill perfect. I just end up playing a lot at a local GW so I can't take anything like that in the store which stinks. I'm fine with the 'stock' Stalker, but there's only one pose of it so that will leave me to doing what others have done with 'tube' bits on bolters. But yea, this is a great piece of kit and makes you wonder why GW wouldn't have done more variants really.

I am constantly tempted by those anvil guns, as a few of those would add quite a bit of variety.  As for stalkers, when I get around to it I plan on just using the scoped bolters from the sternguard kit with extended barrels.  Although scopes and suppressors on the B@C bolters (tigrus pattern i think?) could look sharp too.

Back on topic, I always like seeing your new marines Sockwithaticket!  You really nail what I love most about the deathwatch, their individuality.

I've used 80% Anvil Frag Launchers for my DW and I have to say, pound for pound I like the sculpt WAY better than GW's version.  The price difference is notable, too.  For the curious, you can see a painted example in my galleries (not gonna hijack sockwithaticket's thread)  :)

Nice mini, though I wonder if it couldn't use differently coloured trim...

Also left the racking (? if that's what you can call it)

It's called picatinny rail. 40K guns have something similar, albeit 'smooth'.

• 2 weeks later...

The production line continues

878969_sm-.JPG878970_sm-.JPG878967_sm-.JPG878968_sm-.JPG

Trying to get a better shot of the scope lens because I painted it well (if I do say so myself)
878971_sm-.JPG

He belongs to the Revenants of Maccrage who I've made up because I wanted to use this Ultra pad I've had knocking around forever, but not for an Ultramarine and then noticed the similarity with the symbol on the DW:O Ultra's backpack; hey, that's some chapter iconography right there. The idea behind them is that they were founded in honour of those that fell during the Tyrannic War iusing a few Tyrannic War veterans as their basis and are almost solely used to hunt and destroy tyranid hive fleet tendrils that threaten systems  that can be saved

Love that stalker Bolter. It looks like it should have its own special set of rules. :smile.:

Cheers, Prot.

Anvil Industries continues to impress.  If Stalker Bolters end up being a "thing" in 8th I may snag a stack of these.  :smile.:

Go for it, man. It's such a great little kit with the 3 extra barrels and different magazine types. I bought some of these scopes to try out with the next one:
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Anvil/weapon-accessories/thermal-scope/thermal-scope-lance-carbine-400x400.jpg

I agree. The gun fits the bill perfect. I just end up playing a lot at a local GW so I can't take anything like that in the store which stinks. I'm fine with the 'stock' Stalker, but there's only one pose of it so that will leave me to doing what others have done with 'tube' bits on bolters. But yea, this is a great piece of kit and makes you wonder why GW wouldn't have done more variants really.

I don't mind the GW Stalker, but I agree it's baffling that they wouldn't at least give you one that's already locked and loaded ready for action. I do much prefer the Negotiator, though, as you point out, it looks like it warrants separate rules and classification.

Cadmus Tyro has done some cool stuff with brass rod for his recon marines on this thread:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317342-cadmus-tyro-xth-and-xxth-blog-recon-marines-complete/page-12

I am constantly tempted by those anvil guns, as a few of those would add quite a bit of variety.  As for stalkers, when I get around to it I plan on just using the scoped bolters from the sternguard kit with extended barrels.  Although scopes and suppressors on the B@C bolters (tigrus pattern i think?) could look sharp too.

Back on topic, I always like seeing your new marines Sockwithaticket!  You really nail what I love most about the deathwatch, their individuality.

Even just their gun accessories provide so many opportunities for customisation, which,as you identify (and I really appreciate you noticing) is something I try to achieve with these guys. They're a bunch of individuals with all manner of backgrounds and preferences, let loose in a Watch Fortress Armoury they're going to endup with a real mixture of equipment and I feel like they'd be given a lot of leeway to tweak it; kind of like how military contractors have highly customised gear vs. the standardised fare of national armies.

Given what you've described about Tigrus bolters, I'd suggest looking at the link I posted above; that's pretty mcuh exactly what Cadmus did.

I've used 80% Anvil Frag Launchers for my DW and I have to say, pound for pound I like the sculpt WAY better than GW's version.  The price difference is notable, too.  For the curious, you can see a painted example in my galleries (not gonna hijack sockwithaticket's thread)  :smile.:

I also have an Anvil Frag Launcher waiting to be used, derail away if we're going to sit around eulogising about Anvil. I have a lot of love for them.

It's called Railing if I recall correctly, Niffty little guns that i've seen others use in their DW that i bought some a while back.

Thanks, Silas.

Great Stalker and a great pose. The scope adjustment idea works.

Thanks a lot, it's a pose I can't remember having seen before and I'm glad to have pulled it off.

Nice mini, though I wonder if it couldn't use differently coloured trim...

Also left the racking (? if that's what you can call it)

It's called picatinny rail. 40K guns have something similar, albeit 'smooth'.

Cheers. What were you thinking? I was trying to go for a golden yellow on the tabard, but it's ended up a bit more khaki than intended.

I've used 80% Anvil Frag Launchers for my DW and I have to say, pound for pound I like the sculpt WAY better than GW's version.  The price difference is notable, too.  For the curious, you can see a painted example in my galleries (not gonna hijack sockwithaticket's thread)  :smile.:

I also have an Anvil Frag Launcher waiting to be used, derail away if we're going to sit around eulogising about Anvil. I have a lot of love for them.

Well, since you gave me permission, here's the first Kill Team w/ Anvil Ind. Frag Launchers:

KT Valefor Close Up 1

KT Valefor Close Up 2

(Please ignore the derp eyes on the Watch Sergeant, they've since been corrected :tongue.:)

Edited by Vel'Cona

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now we've got xenos invading the board, it seems appropriate to call for reinforcements and I've inducted one of my very own Crimson Tears into the Watch:

Awesome!  I'm a huge fan of the dynamic poses you seem to have such a firm grasp on.  I'm going to start using more of this in my projects, as I feel like my dudes always end up too static.  :)

Vel'Cona - Nice, man. Do you have your own plog anywhere?

Not really, never considered my stuff worth the trouble.  I'm really looking for an excuse to use the Infernus HB, though, as Anvil is now making an absolutely lovely bit for it . . . :D

Well, now we've got xenos invading the board, it seems appropriate to call for reinforcements and I've inducted one of my very own Crimson Tears into the Watch:

Awesome!  I'm a huge fan of the dynamic poses you seem to have such a firm grasp on.  I'm going to start using more of this in my projects, as I feel like my dudes always end up too static.  :smile.:

Vel'Cona - Nice, man. Do you have your own plog anywhere?

Not really, never considered my stuff worth the trouble.  I'm really looking for an excuse to use the Infernus HB, though, as Anvil is now making an absolutely lovely bit for it . . . :biggrin.:

Cheers, buddy. These days with the sheer range of marine bits, not to mention 3rd party, it's much easier than it was say a few years ago. Plus once you've done a certain number of static, just holding their bolter marines you start to get the itch for something else. I always try and hold whatever pose I'm planning in a mirror for 5 seconds to see if it's actually physically viable, but no one ever accused me of being all there.

Mate, the amount of time I spend on Anvil's site drooling over stuff... I think I'll pick one up too just for funsies.

You should definitely put your stuff up here, it'd be cool to see another Deathwatch log, there really aren't many around.;

Damn, I really like your style! It's very minimal, crisp, and certainly different from the 'eavy metal GW Xtreme highlighting... how do you do your black and metals? 

(Sorry if you've already explained... can't seem to find it)

PS. These make excellent suppressors for stalker bolters (http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/dreadnought-smoke-launcher-light-p-2074.html ) each smoke launcher makes three suppressors... easy to fit on the end of a scoped bolter and they're usually easy to get.

Legs are done, probably go quiet for a little now while I finish prepping the rest of it and enough other stuff to make a priming session worthwhile.

887869_sm-.JPG

mjrwaud - thanks a lot. Yeah, I view Deathwatch as kind of spec ops-ish and thus wanted them to have a slightly more muted scheme than you might see from the studio style. Black is simply Army Painter Black highlighted with Vallejo Model Colour German Grey. Silver is Army Painter Gun Metal, heavy dry brush of AP Plate Mail Metal and then a few edges picked out with AP shining silver and a blackwash with a lot of Vallejo Matte Medium added to it. thanks for the Stalker tip, though I'm pretty happy with the Anvil stuff for now.

Vel'Cona - ha, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Irbis - Cheers.

Macabre Slanneshi Prince - Go for it, man. It is indeed a result of layering

So wait, what chapter is that?  Crimson Scythes or something?  :huh.:

Yep, another one of those chapters that's pretty much just a name whom I discovered while combing Lexicanum for obscure ones:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crimson_Scythes

• 3 weeks later...

I have prepped all the parts for the rest of the Dread, however, it's largely either been too wet or too humid to prime round here lately, so there's no progress besides that. Instead, here's a Star Phantom:
892761_sm-.JPG892762_sm-.JPG892765_sm-.JPG892764_sm-.JPG892763_sm-.JPG

And a glimpse of another (far) future project because I have Dreads an the brain at the moment:
892766_sm-.JPG