Horus Heresy box game

Canadian_F_H

That'll be the old Ancient Battles stuff! As I recall it was written by Johnson, Priestly etc and was based largely on WFB but adapted for no magic/more realism.

No experience of the Heresy game but worth noting that it may become desirable given the very recent news that FFGs licensing agreement with GW is coming to an end and all games will effectively be out of print.

That boardgame's already a collectors item, it was one of the first products FFG released after getting the license, it's not even had a product page on their site for a few years though google will still give you an active link to the rulebook on their site (nothing dodgy - FFG put up the rulebooks for all their boardgames).  

I own it.  Great value for the money if you've got people to play it with.  The dice-less combat system is ingenious for starters.  The game board features special raised fortress sections that pop in and out, which is nifty though cramming a lot of units into them is sometimes difficult due to their size.  The infantry and armor models are all larger than Epic ones but smaller than 40K ones, while the titan models are much smaller than their Epic compatriots.  It costs a pretty penny, but it's a fun game to play.

So is it basically risk40k? Or maybe slightly more like axisandallies40k?

Of those two options, it is more A&A-like since you command different types of units with different combat stats (and the board has pre-determined set ups), but neither is a perfect comparison.  Only Chaos has the ability to "produce" new units (actually just landing troops from the orbiting fleet); the Imperial player can bring new ones onto the table only rarely using special cards.  It's also not a straight IGOUGO system where every unit gets to activate every turn.  There's a resource system that plays into an initiative tracker: the more points you spend to play order cards (which allow you to order units to do things like move or attack), the sooner your opponent gets to activate.  And it flip-flops like that, so that playing order cards itself adds a whole new depth to the game because if you literally play your cards right, you can stack a lot of maneuvers for your own troops, launch a massive attack, and then give the turn to your opponent for him to play one order and then boom, it's right back to you again.

Basically, it's a great game and I again recommend spending the cash on it, especially now that FFG can't produce any more of them.  Get it now before stocks are emptied and the price shoots up even higher than it already is.

There is a review on the B&C librarium. I have a copy and have played the game a few times. It is very good. The way initiative works is that there is a track along the bottom of the board. You can take different actions which cost points and as soon as your opponent's track overtakes yours, you get your move. The game rewards forward planning as you can play cards directly into play or for future turns, allowing you to set up an assault.

I would recommend it. I have played the earlier version that someone mentioned above, that cam eout between Battle For Armaggeddon and Doom of the Eldar and that's very good too, but plays differently to the FFG version.

Archived