Triumphum Ex Animo - Apothecary head painted

Dosjetka

After the initial shock of their bloody betrayal, it was only a matter of days before we had hunted down and slain every last one of the whoreson Word Bearers that had been attached to our company.

Leading our ragtag force, the fire of vengeance burning brightly in his hearts and mind, was Nervo Azargir, the Lion of Sahar.

gallery_45765_11814_197173.png

His incadescent rage was our anchor-point among the tumult of battle where brother fought brother. Whever he went, we found only the bodies of Lorgar's sons, cut down as they fell back before Nervo's fury.

gallery_45765_11814_226451.png

+ + + + + + + +

Welcome to my little XIIIth Legion project. Inspired by Wulox's and Brother-Captain Arkhan's excellent project logs, I have embarked upon the long road to create a Battle for Calth-era Ultramarine force. Not too sure about the specifics such as army list, Chapter, Company number, etc. but this chap was the result of me throwing bits together until something I was happy with came about. Hopefully you like him as much as I do. smile.png

As always, C&C is welcome and much appreciated. Any suggestions as to what kind of squad should accompany him would be great, too. Lastly, should he be ran as a Legion Champion (Centurion) or a Praetor? The latter seems more powerful but also much more expensive so I'm not sure if it's worth it at low point games.

Anyway, enough blabber from me. Hopefully there'll be more soon!

Looking very cool – that style of helm is one of my favourites, so to see it on such a great dynamic conversion's a treat. The hidden blade behind the shield hints at a darker, more rounded character than the shiny paladins of stereotype. :)

As always, C&C is welcome and much appreciated. Any suggestions as to what kind of squad should accompany him would be great, too. Lastly, should he be ran as a Legion Champion (Centurion) or a Praetor? The latter seems more powerful but also much more expensive so I'm not sure if it's worth it at low point games.

One of the things I like beast about the Age of Darkness community is that it fosters a more personal army style over an optimised tournament feel. That's not to say you can't make a strong army; merely that the rule of cool should trump 'power levels' :) 

Personally, I think this chap would make a smashing Legion Champion – perhaps with the Gladius Invictus, to demonstrate his martial superiority?

Too tired from work to anything hobby-related so only replies tonight, I'm afraid.

That's an amazing conversion Dos. Stunning work.

High praise indeed, Rohr, especially coming from a talented hobbyist such as yourself. Thank you!

Oh boy, I am so in on this ride!

Glad you like him. biggrin.png

Interesting back drop on what would be a smurf, the build drop looks very impressive, paints soon I presume??

Thanks! Yeah, hopefully. Just need to pop over to my parents' on Saturday and pick up my blue paints!

Damn, bud. Damn. This looks like it's gonna be epic. Absolutely brilliant build to start out with. Can't wait to see where you take this! thumbsup.gif

Just don't get too distracted from your Fists, okay? Okay.

Wow, thanks Psycho. smile.png

Don't worry, I won't. See you atop the Wall! For Dorn! Raise the storm!

The sense of movement is fantastic, really liking the model and can't wait to see whats next.

Thank you very much!

This is going to be good, that conversion is epic!

And I've never thought of my work as inspirational, it is likely as your log develops that will flip and I'll be looking at your stuff for inspiration!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! And yes, your work definitely inspired me to get started with my Ultramarines. Your Centurion especially sparked the idea for this chap. thumbsup.gif

Looking very cool – that style of helm is one of my favourites, so to see it on such a great dynamic conversion's a treat. The hidden blade behind the shield hints at a darker, more rounded character than the shiny paladins of stereotype. smile.png

One of the things I like beast about the Age of Darkness community is that it fosters a more personal army style over an optimised tournament feel. That's not to say you can't make a strong army; merely that the rule of cool should trump 'power levels' smile.png

Personally, I think this chap would make a smashing Legion Champion – perhaps with the Gladius Invictus, to demonstrate his martial superiority?

Thank you for your comment, Apologist! Your own work is always inspirational! The knife was added to, as you say, move away from the stereotypical shiny paladin image but I also remember there being some sort of gladiator fighting with shield, spear, and a small dagger and wanted to give a small nod to that. The blend of greco-roman culture is what I love so much about the Ultramarines and I would like to try and continue that "theme" throughout my force.

Regarding the rules, it was more an issue of what would hit more like a ton of bricks between the two? tongue.png "Minmax"-ing and such doesn't really interest me. I just would like to do the character justice on the tabletop with the wargear and rules which allow him to slay all in sight.

I haven't ever seen or heard of this Gladius Invictus that you mention. Which book is it from?

I have never been scared of a mini before, but I am damn close with this fella.

Watching this very close mate.

Hah, thanks mate. If he invokes fear then my job is definitely done. thumbsup.gif

The Gladius Invictus is from Conquest (HH book IV), I think. It's essentially a cool power sword that (amongst other things) ignore saves provided by an enemy's shield. In terms of rules, a Praetor's always going to hit harder (more attacks, more wounds etc.), but a Legion Champion is a pretty tough cookie himself :)

• 2 weeks later...

He charged head first, headless of the danger, smashing the first Word Bearer aside with his narthecium. The Astartes collapsed onto the ground, his neck limp, his helm severely dented.

"Whoresons! Kathármata!"

He howled at the top of his voice. Rage and sorrow twisted his features almost beyond recognition.

Another Word Bearer tried to intercept him but was gunned down as the Apothecary emptied the bolt pistol's magazine in his direction. The third and fourth bolt penetrated the armour after the first two had weakened it and detonated, tearing a ragged hole in the ceramite plate and splattering gore over a an area about three feet wide. The fifth and seventh bolts smacked into the Word Bearer's helm and blew it open. He reeled backwards and collapsed into a pile of spasming flesh and armour.

Iason charged onwards, using his now empty bolt pistol and damaged narthecium as improvised weapons.

gallery_45765_11814_63745.png

While the injury he had sustained caused him considerable pain, I knew it was not what was at the source of this seething cauldron of grief, pain, and apoplectic rage. He was a doctor after all, he could deal with pain, treat his own wounds.

The Word Bearers' treachery had rocked us all to the core. Despite there being little love lost between us, we still considered them as a brother-Legion and treated them as such amongst our comapany. To say that their sudden all-out assault on us was unexpected is something of a euphemisum. But it was very quickly clear that Iason was affected far deeper than the rest of us. If the situation had not been as dire as it was on Calth, the Apothecary would have had to be dealt with. Then again, if what happened on Calth had not come to pass, perhaps Iason Mithra would have remained the jovial character we all remebered him as...

gallery_45765_11814_123498.png

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Due to feeling rather uninspired by my Imperial Fists at the moment, I am going to focus on my XIIIth Legion force and put the Fists on the back burner until I get another spark. More to come as the week progresses. smile.png As always, comments and criticism are always appreciated!

What did I say, Dos, what did I say?

Just don't get too distracted from your Fists, okay? Okay.

And what did you do? You did exactly the opposite! :P

In all serious, like I said earlier, he looks real good. The pain and sense of betrayal is expressed beautifully through the choice of bits and pose. Wonderful work.

No poor fluff of mine to share tonight, just a picture of what I've been working on today: a five-man squad of Fulmentarus Cataphractii.

gallery_45765_11814_98483.png

I'm missing a single Cyclone missile launcher but I should have that sorted out before long. Looking forward to painting these! :)

In all serious, like I said earlier, he looks real good. The pain and sense of betrayal is expressed beautifully through the choice of bits and pose. Wonderful work.

Thank you, I'm glad you like him! And yes, I got distracted but I think it's not too much of a bad thing... ;)

Ah yes! I've been looking forward to an update! Apothecary looks ace and I have to echo Psycho, that face works very well for that pained/betrayed turned to rage look!

Cheers, mate! I'll be turning to you for a white armour recipe for the Apothecary. ;)

Not gonna lie, I love it when people put the Greco in Greco-Roman Ultramarines! Word Bearer Kathármata indeed!. laugh.png

A very inspiring thread so far, especially when you see a bit of character being put into apothecaries, who can sometimes become a little bit 'generic army medic', even for space marines.

I'm hoping to start a XIIIth Legion Zone Mortalis force with the advent of the next plastic box so will be keeping my eyes on this for more inspiration.

Keep it up!

Ah yes! I've been looking forward to an update! Apothecary looks ace and I have to echo Psycho, that face works very well for that pained/betrayed turned to rage look!

Cheers, mate! I'll be turning to you for a white armour recipe for the Apothecary. msn-wink.gif

I'd honestly like to claim that I used a super hard technique but my white was simply army painter white spray, cleaned up with a bit of watered down corax white and carefully washed with nuln oil! laugh.png

Painted up a test model for my Utramarines. Only the armour is done so far (bar some weathering):

gallery_45765_11814_27980.png

Pic isn't great as the armour is slightly more blue and less purple, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what I'm going for.

Blue armour recipe for those who are interested:

1. Black undercoat;
  2. Basecoat with Vallejo Model Color Royal Blue;
  3. Heavy wash of following mix: 1:1:1 Drakenhof Nightshade, Druchii Violet, Army Painter Strong Tone (Argax Earthshade);
  4. Heavy drybrush of VMC Royal Blue;
  5. Light drybrush of Hoeth Blue;
  6. Guilliman Blue glaze;
  7. Edge highlights with Hoeth Blue.

It took me two hours to get to this stage so another couple of hours and he should be done.

Not gonna lie, I love it when people put the Greco in Greco-Roman Ultramarines! Word Bearer Kathármata indeed!. laugh.png

A very inspiring thread so far, especially when you see a bit of character being put into apothecaries, who can sometimes become a little bit 'generic army medic', even for space marines.

I'm hoping to start a XIIIth Legion Zone Mortalis force with the advent of the next plastic box so will be keeping my eyes on this for more inspiration.

Keep it up!

I'm glad you picked up on that. Too often do people portray them as the "Roman" Legion when they're blend of Ancient Greece and Rome.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like the Apothecary. thumbsup.gif

Some beautiful models mate! The apothecary is just superb, lots of action and emotion conveyed.

Thank you! I'm glad he's conveying the emotions I wanted him to convey!

Cheers, mate! I'll be turning to you for a white armour recipe for the Apothecary. msn-wink.gif

I'd honestly like to claim that I used a super hard technique but my white was simply army painter white spray, cleaned up with a bit of watered down corax white and carefully washed with nuln oil! laugh.png

Alright, thanks! I've undercoated mine in black since I don't want the whole armour to be white but I'll have to find a way to paint the white parts...

EDIT: Better picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Got bored with painting blue armour all the time so I painted the Apothecary's head. Really enjoyed it and am happy with the result even if there is potential for improvement (as always). :)

gallery_45765_11814_289301.png

gallery_45765_11814_61292.png

gallery_45765_11814_153253.png

Now, back to painting the Fulmentarus!

Got bored with painting blue armour all the time so I painted the Apothecary's head. Really enjoyed it and am happy with the result even if there is potential for improvement (as always). :)

gallery_45765_11814_289301.png

gallery_45765_11814_61292.png

gallery_45765_11814_153253.png

Now, back to painting the Fulmentarus!

This is one of those rare miniatures where a touch of detail in the painting phase give the model as much depth and backstory as a full paragraph of fluff. You can almost see the guy getting hit in the head, and continuing to work on the wounded marine in front of him.

Archived