Soldier of Dorn

Perhaps we can do a month-by-month pledge (ie. This month I paint x unit(s) and they must be worth a minimum of y points)?

I personally think keeping the lists is good, but let them be "fluid" up until the event starts. After that, no changing. Only painting more if you've finished. :tu:

I've got a question for everyone in the project:

How would people feel about setting the whole army list thing aside and just working towards a 1,500+ point goal? Right now the whole thing is a bit of a mess (although I'll try to sort it out tonight.)

Personally, I'm happy with things as they are (it's motivation to making a new functional army), but I figure that if others are finding that off putting, then that's fair enough and could just put the 1.5K target in. If anything the latter would allow me to include my third Inquisitor (they're triplets laugh.png ) and not have to adhere to the rule of being part of a army list.

If that makes sense smile.png

I've got a question for everyone in the project:

How would people feel about setting the whole army list thing aside and just working towards a 1,500+ point goal? Right now the whole thing is a bit of a mess (although I'll try to sort it out tonight.)

I think it would be best.

@ Psycho : I can go either way, I'm dead set on finishing off the last few models to complete what I've vowed for this particular challenge and I do plan to continue to add more to it as time allows. Though Dosjetka raises a valid point, there's a precedence for what "Tale of X Hobbyists" means and to change it now would simply mean it's no longer what it was intended as.

If it were changed, it would make my life easier since I was dumb enough to vow a :cuss ton of infantry models, but censored.gif it, let's do it live.

Well, here I am with something. I'm trying to do at least an hour every day, it helps keep the motivation going and I don't get burnt out doing one thing over and over.

Sadly, today was doing one thing over and over. . . placing miniatures on a base.

gallery_38135_11679_373963.jpeg

If I keep this up, I'll have the bulk of the infantry models settled by the end of this week. I was thankfully able to find ten different sets of Bolt Pistols and Chainswords, given the war torn necessity repurposing nature of my Emperor's Children ( Siege of Terra era Emperor's Children ), having different Mk's and weaponry builds makes sense.

But then it's not really a "Tale of X Hobbyists" any more which is a shame... :(

Depends the first white dwalf version had flexible lists month on month. They had monthly point goals and it allowed them to make changes based on games played.

I think a good middle ground is to have a fixed list as of start of the event. But give everyone one chance to make some edits after the new year... just encase GW puts out new things.

I only asked because people seemed to be changing their lists quite often (and additionally, there was no requirement to present a list at the beginning of Kurama's Tale last year) so if everyone wants to make it more fluid, that'd probably be the best. As it stands, though, it looks like we'll be keeping the current set-up (or something very similar: see below.) smile.png

Dosjetka: Well, the way I had originally planned it was for people to make month-to-month vows within the structure of the challenge and their list. And if we went with the alternative option, completion of the challenge would still be dependent on having a legal army. Sorry if I hadn't made all that clear to everybody. And even after the challenge starts and lists are "locked," I will allow for some small bit of fluidity. Just not as much. smile.png

Thanks to everyone who responded. smile.png I've come to a decision on this, though, which should be flexible enough for everyone but still stringent.

Army lists will be locked in on 31 September 2016 at 23:59 GMT. Following this. participants will be permitted to change their army lists six (6) times during the course of the challenge, and no more than once a month (the exception to this will be additions to your list.) Please PM me if you are planning to change your army list. Units already painted for the challenge cannot be changed.

Well sitting around in a sleep deprived state last night I have divided up my list (the 1850 points list that I promise not to change at all).  First Month will be the hardest I think.  I have divided it in such a way as that I have a big month then a smaller one, to help keep me motivated.  So the plan is as follows (obviously subject to change as per needed)

October: 10 Tacticals and Venerable Dreadnought - Capitalise on early enthusiams

November: 5 Assault Marines, Chaplain and Jump Pack Librarian - Get all the horrible Jump packs done while there is still some enthusiasm left

December: 5 Tacticals and a Librarian - An easy month to catch my breath and catch back up

January: 10 Tacticals - The last of the more boring guys

February: 5 Devestators and last Librarian - Rounding out things with another easy month before...

March: 2 Rhinos and the Razorback - Motorpool March.  Time depending I may sneak in a stretch goal of a Predator here

April: Captain and Command Squad - Easy and fun, The strike force is assembled, it just needs its Captain.

So with that plan in mind, I better get assembling.  Just for something challenging and a little bit different I am, for the most part, designing marines randomly using THIS then trying to build them from parts.  I just noticed there is a new version so I better go download it to start designing the rest.  And yes I haven't included a bi month but with the extra 350 points then the 1500 standard I thought I would divide it evenly to not burn myself out.  Hopefully I can get some stuff done early and have a break that way.

Looks like I missed the party with the discussion; such is the delights of the Aussie time zone....

Glad it is staying at a whole army thing and I agree it needs to be a more fluid process that can evolve as needed. It has been a very long time since I read the original WD tale of 4 gamers, but I recall they had a general idea and then developed it, added units here, changed things there dependant upon games played, new models or whatever

I'm still going to go with Air Assault theme of flyers and jump pack troops, i'll probably need to re-visit my list, I did it in a kind of rush and fudged it to allow me to paint up most of my unpainted/unassembled bits and bobs. I'm still keen to do the Stormbird, so I'll have a big list with lots of points to play with.....

In it's current proposed format we are well away from the original tale of format.

The challenge has never previously had a locked in list officially at the start of the challenge. The challenge has been share your hobbying experience over so many months and end up at the end having atleast x amount of points. If you go far enough back in the WD it was spend so many £'s a month not a points target. If you didn't spend the full amount you could save up funds to get something bigger the following month.

I thought the army list was just provided to show intent of staying through the while process rather than having someone who might might not complete the challenge? If you can make 6 changes you might as well have it fluid and not have the cap as including the dropped month that's 6 months. The cap means nothing other than a rule for the sake of rules, which is basically red tape that needs to be ditched.

What I think really works is each month you pledge what your going to do that month. End of the month arrives and the next chunk of models get pledged. If you steam through a month and get your models painted up early you end up adding another chunk of models to the mix. The list then builds over the course of 7 months and it might then be nice to compare it to the original intended list (which can then be locked in on a certain date) at the end of the challenge.

Just my 2p about the whole thing. :)

In it's current proposed format we are well away from the original tale of format.

The challenge has never previously had a locked in list officially at the start of the challenge. The challenge has been share your hobbying experience over so many months and end up at the end having atleast x amount of points. If you go far enough back in the WD it was spend so many £'s a month not a points target. If you didn't spend the full amount you could save up funds to get something bigger the following month.

I thought the army list was just provided to show intent of staying through the while process rather than having someone who might might not complete the challenge? If you can make 6 changes you might as well have it fluid and not have the cap as including the dropped month that's 6 months. The cap means nothing other than a rule for the sake of rules, which is basically red tape that needs to be ditched.

What I think really works is each month you pledge what your going to do that month. End of the month arrives and the next chunk of models get pledged. If you steam through a month and get your models painted up early you end up adding another chunk of models to the mix. The list then builds over the course of 7 months and it might then be nice to compare it to the original intended list (which can then be locked in on a certain date) at the end of the challenge.

Just my 2p about the whole thing. smile.png

I'll think about it some more. I agree in broad strokes with what you're saying, so... yeah, I'll think about what you've said (though at least one previous incarnation of the Tale on the B&C did require a list before the beginning.) Yeah.

I don't know. I'll think about it. I'll have a final set of rules for the challenge up by Sunday. Until then, don't worry so much about the lists. I'll sort everything out.

Sorry was referring to the tale as found in WD's rather than the B&C remake.

Whatever we have this time around I'm stoked to get started with the actual painting of models!!!

Lol ... I've prepped many bases ready to get cracking. If I can fill all of them with models I'll be doing several times more than the 1,500point minimum. :p

I've been busy rolling out my new lawn today so I missed the discussion earlier on the setup of the Tale of Hobbyists. I'm not fussed which way we go, obviously it's not meant to be a mini ETL and I like the idea of being able to change and adapt your initial army plan as the months go on; emphasis here being Army plan rather than an Army list.

On the note of monthly completions, for units worth more then the 250pts/month can we draw a line on completeness? For example; a Knight will cost upward of 400points, if one month I completed the chassis, details and base minus the armour panels that are seperate, would that count as my monthly pledge?

I have no views on whichever way the points are divided up or how lists work. Its all good. We're here to support and encourage each other through this so we all finish with a new army.

Its inevitable that diferent things will work for everyone. Hopefully no one will use any ideas as an excuse to slack off, but the rest can bully, encourage us back into the groove and the painting gods will bless us all with the mojo required to gitter done.

My main problem is its still 2 weeks till i can start painting. 2 WEEKS!!!

However i have bought milliput so i will be practicing my less than able sculpting mad skills to try and make a hat and the odd extra thang to enhance the inquisition guys.

WoW and some Ultramarines will have to see me through the next 2 weeks i guess.....

2 weeks....its only 2 weeks ........

Right, I've got my month-by-month plan sorted.

Dos' ToTH painting plan
Month Unit Model Count Value Start Finished

OCTTactical Squad 'Syth'10 infantry165 ptsLinkLink

OCTRhino 'TBN'1 vhc [light tank]40 ptsLinkLink

OCTDevastator Squad 'TBN'10 infantry225 ptsLinkLink

Total 430 pts [/td][td=Unit]

NOVTactical Squad 'Isgard'10 infantry185 ptsLinkLink

NOVRhino 'TBN'1 vhc [light tank]40 ptsLinkLink

NOVBike Squad 'Eisen'5 cavalry155 ptsLinkLink

Total 380 pts

DECAssault Squad 'Barass'10 infantry220 ptsLinkLink

DECStormhawk Interceptor 'TBN'1 vhc [flyer]130 ptsLinkLink

Total 350 pts

JANLand Raider Crusader 'TBN'1 vhc [heavy tank]275 ptsLinkLink

JANStormhawk Interceptor 'TBN'1 vhc [flyer]130 ptsLinkLink

Total 405 pts

FEBRelic Leviathan Dreadnought 'TBN'1 vhc [walker]320 ptsLinkLink

FEBLucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod 'TBN'1 vhc [pod]40 ptsLinkLink

FEBChaplain 'Brother Ishan Rohr'1 infantry165 ptsLinkLink

Total 535 pts

MARCommand Squad 'Tylus'5 infantry230 ptsLinkLink

MARCaptain 'Brother Rufus Khyber'1 infantry130 ptsLinkLink

Total 400 pts

APR+ UNKNOWN +N/AN/AN/AN/A Total N/A

Hopefully it all goes to plan and I can stick to the above all the way through. smile.png If I manage to keep April free, then I'll paint some extra models. Probably a pair of Predators or Vindicators. Or some Terminators. Or something. biggrin.png

Did I scare everyone with my table? ermm.gif I know that this degree of organisation is very strange coming from me but come on, at least I'm making an effort! laugh.png

Anyway, it just dawned on me that I won't be around at all during the whole of April due to military service, so that's my "joker" month gone. blink.png

I am trying to maintain my motivation, I don't want to burn out. . . ( image for reference )

gallery_38135_12368_7375.jpg

Slow and steady will win the race. As it stands, I've built an additional Contemptor ( just because I wanted something else to make ) and five additional Assault Marines ( currently have 15 built, but their bases are still lacking on the aesthetic part ), I have five more Assault Marines to build and ten Kakophoni to figure out.

I might throw in an Imperial Knight Titan if I can figure out what color scheme I'm going to go with and if I have enough time, though as of right now, I'm going to just concentrate on what I have posted in my 1545 list before I go forward with expanding my points to ridiculous amounts when I'm barely out of the building phase.

what kind of hat is it Deusmex? try starting with the brim maybe and once it's dry build layers up making the center? That's always been the hardest part for me when sculpting is breaking things down into layers but there's a reason that's what all the pros recommend

Archived