Soldier of Dorn

Woot!!! 7 of 20.... hmmm... luckily we have given all for our frater and casualties are to be expected...sadly our captain on this mission was lost but we persevere.

I may not finish my entire pledge brothers and there have been alterations to my pledge but I feel confident in my abilities to finish this fetching DDP.

I may not have BCKs patience and attention to detail but the warbled plates of this hallowed vessel shall be somewhat straighter before I put paint in my airbrush... and I am excited to say that I sold my RoB board and invested in a Badger Renegade Krome for finer work than my olde Paasche seems comfy with.

Frater- brother SP, rangaman, aeternas, Augustus, ulveron, Eidolon would y'all be interested in keeping our mutual mojo going in group together by keeping this thread alive?

With Captain Sempers RL keeping ETL from coming on track this year (sending love to his mother and family) I would enjoy continuing this project with y'all.

Frater- brother SP, rangaman, aeternas, Augustus, ulveron, Eidolon would y'all be interested in keeping our mutual mojo going in group together by keeping this thread alive?

With Captain Sempers RL keeping ETL from coming on track this year (sending love to his mother and family) I would enjoy continuing this project with y'all.

Well, 

I was thinking, that after a months break I would see if anyone minded if I took over and started a 2017 event. I have almost got my life back in order after starting my new job and changing my life quite a bit. 

But I was going to see what other events were going on at the same time. But I have some Ideas on how to improve this event and make it a lot more successful. 

Well,

I was thinking, that after a months break I would see if anyone minded if I took over and started a 2017 event. I have almost got my life back in order after starting my new job and changing my life quite a bit.

But I was going to see what other events were going on at the same time. But I have some Ideas on how to improve this event and make it a lot more successful.

I would be keen for that, I've been on a bit of a building spree lately and I am starting to feel the itch to paint again.

Just to flesh out the idea a little more, so you lot can understand what I am thinking about.

In Late May I open the doors to the event. Unlike this event anyone can join. (So it’s a Tale of Gamers). Registration is open until the end of June.

At this point you pledge what you are going to paint that month.  

Now this will not be a point’s level, but just a number of models. Kind of like the call of chaos.. But it will allow people to enter display tables and Scenery if tied to the larger project.

At the end of the month people who haven’t finished the Vow will be allowed to continue if they post an update stating status of project and will be given a second month to finish it. If at that point it’s not done they will be dropped from the challenge.

At that point the event continues till the new year with the same process, until at the end awards are handed out based on number of months you were able to keep up with the projects.

I believe this should fix some of the ‘bugs’ we had in the current system, but keep its flavor. 

I've been struggling to get painting. Have been watching from the sidelines.

Currently trying to keep the hobby mojo going by immersing myself In terrain building. I've been only able to stop and start playing around with ideas and things that take a few mins to do. So even that is at an extremely slow rate. 12 months ago of have already built the blasted table.

Uveron- that sounds good man!! I'm all in for a continuation and the idea of scenery is keen to me as I plan on dropping an awesome board at my LGS for the AoP in October and will be repainting and reworking my board from last year!!

I also have 5 or 6 CoD buildings to complete for 2 more 2x2 tile ideas.

Hi Uveron, that's great that you want to do this. At first I admit I was somewhat sceptical of your idea to make it open to all - as this event had so many people dropping out and this did affect my motivation for it - and I quite like that those who remain have become a sort of community-within-a-community. But then when you explained that there'd be a hard ruling for dropouts, I completely occur - provided that with 

At the end of the month people who haven’t finished the Vow will be allowed to continue if they post an update stating status of project and will be given a second month to finish it. If at that point it’s not done they will be dropped from the challenge.

you mean at the end of the second month, and not at the beginning of it, then I am totally supportive of that idea! :tu: 

In other news, I finished the first of the two librarians in this month's vow. More pics, from multiple angles and with his unit, here in my wip:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsagc8t6vr.jpg

Hi Uveron, that's great that you want to do this. At first I admit I was somewhat sceptical of your idea to make it open to all - as this event had so many people dropping out and this did affect my motivation for it - and I quite like that those who remain have become a sort of community-within-a-community. But then when you explained that there'd be a hard ruling for dropouts, I completely occur - provided that with

you mean at the end of the second month, and not at the beginning of it, then I am totally supportive of that idea! thumbsup.gif

Yes, and that is a one time thing. It's like the 'free' month we had in this event. But yes the idear is to build a "community-within-a-community". I had thought about italy limiting it to people who had completed another event on the B&C, but I feel like the hard drop will quickly make the number of participants manageable.

I'm happy to keep on going, however I agree you've got to have rules and enforcement! 

It should probably involve some sort of challenge though, like doing an objective marker, paint a vehicle or HQ choice, just to mix things up a little!

On other things, anyone got any ideas how to represent 'heavy' jet bike riders. I feel that skyslayer bikers should look beefier than the regular bikes!!

I like the hard ruling for completions, not to sound ruthless but I feel like some people just procrastinate a little too much and then make excuses...the bit that bothers me is that people like that are making excuses to themselves rather than attempting to push on.

I digress, little event challenges would be cool BUT having it be a specific thing like paint a tank may not be doable for all. Myself as an example, I have painted so many tanks in the last 12 months that I won't be buying any more for a long while. Instead we could use Hullpoints or Wounds as representation for those challenges, as a suggestion.

Lord Commander Eidolon: I don't really know what to suggest for the Sky Slayers, they are really just normal bikes without Heavy Bolters. I would opt for iconography like the Devastator triangle with a Lightning Bolt to signify their Fast-Heavy Weapon role. Just some thoughts.

Alright, people have been busy discussing what comes next laugh.png I'd be up for anything after this, as it does vaguely keep me progressing. May slow down my progress for june/july to a squad or single model due to exams and stuff but with no ETL would give me something to keep with over summer! I'm game.

Augustus: Sar Tanar Ennugiel it is! Though if your picking of the model is primarily to do with the lack of beakie helmet, last two dudes are both non-beakies, just in case ya wanted to change. Otherwise Tanar will be a welcome addition to the 1st!

Libby looks great as well, been a while since I last saw one of those models. Different shades of gold over it are working well.

Lord Commander Eidolon: One of them could most definitely be! Do you have any particular preference over which? If not then it'll probably be the new sword sgt. Also thanks for the idea of looking into Saxon stuff for the DA, will be a welcome help. Still trying to find my feet in the direction I want to take them.

Have to say, don't really see many EC in mkII, but it certainly works well, coming along a treat. Have you considered doing some details on the knee-pads of some of them? White or the like.

Anyways. The last two jetbikes and bases are made, while I've got the Raptor to black, and started on details. One wing of checks is done (pictures pre and post weathering), and probably planning at this point to do similarly to the lightning the fins in red. Only problem I can see is that from the top it might be slightly too overwhelming on the red/black, with very little else to break it up.

Am probably going to try some freehand on the sides in the images of angels/other stuff, but considering a stripe down the centre from rear to front guns of a white/green or white/black checks. Think it'd work? Other suggestions are always welcome!

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170418_190703_zpskzrqvddj.jpg?1492539975338&1492539976141&1492539981855http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170418_190741_zpsvuqhxovc.jpg?1492539975337&1492539976141&1492539981855

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170418_131016_zpslbdvwvtd.jpg?1492539975338&1492539976141&1492539981855http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170418_190832_zpsknhuku7q.jpg?1492539975338&1492539976141&1492539981855http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170418_190840_zpshovp9gga.jpg?1492539975338&1492539976141&1492539981855

@ Aeternas: yeah, buddy, those old school libby's are increasingly rare. They still have it, though! I'm perfectly fine with you changing the specific dude, as long as he has a MkII or MkIII helmet. thumbsup.gifmsn-wink.gif

What's he like next to a modern day marine? From the look of him might be a bit stubby :/ (Since a comparison with those Cents is hardly fair for poor old Space-Gandalf)

Alright man smile.png I'll keep it as the pennant bearer, since the name and nice lil snippet of fluff ya put go with the model. Now just ta decide what to put on it!

Edit: Nevermind, spoke too soon. Just saw the comparisons with the other marines. Lovely captain model btw

IOk... amazing control is possible with airbrush... I just don't have a whole lot of it yet:) lightning is a paintover and the tank, she's a beast of questionable ethics but uncompromising and judicious application of power- believe I will be refitting her to serve the VIIth as a venerator.

Glad to have Man Cave weather as my shed painting days have begun... need dedicated electric run and a power strip , more lights, speakers... etc.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/IMG_5466_zpskkuzowvq.jpg

Have a pic of my DDP but photobucket is a tosser this eve

Krome is a dream... makes my Paasche VL like a child's fantasy of what it's like to be a grown up airbrush- and I have to learn a new way to airbrush. Which is awesome~minus the fact that I want to sell all my other vehicles and start over now;)

Just kidding (kind of;)

Finally got photo

@ Lion: It looks great, buddy! If I may offer some well-meant advice: get some Vallejo Flow Improver. I see on your Dreadnought Drop Pod in particular that in some places your shading work is a bit blotchy. This can be remedied easily with the Flow Improver. I cannot recommend this product enough - it will change your airbrushing life! Also, for shading, I feel like you can do a bit more. Here's a pic of my DreadPod if you like some comparison/inspiration. :)

I hope that's helpful. If not - please ignore! :) :tu:

Lol- that's awesome Auggy!! I had that on my list of stuff to pick up from hobbytown today

Your recommendations seal that deal for me though as the krome is a treat to use and the VMA paints are incredible but still a bit too dense.

Thanks for the images you shared as they help me see I'm on the right path

Augustus-what psi do you run for shading?

That's great - and yes, you're totally on the right track. I love your bright yellow, and that stuff you do with the lue contrast is amazing. I'm sorry but I don't know PSI - my compressor and I only know non-retard Metric units. tongue.png I mostly use 2 Bar and the 1.5 mm needle for shading and 2 bar and the 3 mm for basing work. smile.png

Lue contrast?? :)

Our other side of the world measurements of 15/30 psi to 1/2 bars is about what I usually run anyways. I've not switched to the larger needle yet and am excited to check it out.

I'm going to begin playing with the dial on the back of the airbrush soon -maybe this eve:)

I've been playing around on my Archeon with airbrushing it as my previous paintjob is in need of a clean up;)

I am noticing how much I'm enjoying the sensitivity of the trigger draw, ability to feather (shade) is so much better and easier with the Krome and the time investment difference with the ease of clean up/switching of colors with the gravity feed cup. Solid tool it is and I'm looking forward to my atrapos practice so I can get my warhound finished by years end:)

Augustus- the flow improved is like magic man!! Only splutter is coming at the end of the cup when the Krome will spit a bit at higher pressure. Working on finger pressure control and learning how she likes to be touched.

Also watched a Next Level Painting airbrush hacks YouTube and have been soaking my airbrush overnite in a 80/20 water/airbrush cleaner and it will fire up with no issues after I run a cup of water through.

Very nervous about moving on to individual side sized figures but welcome the challenge:)

Archived