Soldier of Dorn

I absolutely adore your weathered yellow, lion. Great work on that. The ghostly blue lights are an acquired taste, but I can certainly appreciate them. :tu: On the flyer, I think you did an awesome job shading the yellow, but on the pod I think you can do a little better here and there. Especially on the yellow on the inside of the pod's opened door, there's a stripe of shade colour gogin right through the middle of the yellow plane and I'm not sure of why it's there - it would've been more realistic to either do it on the edges, or on the inside of that yellow plane... :tu:

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/IMG_5643_zpsrdckykjw.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/IMG_5644_zps0iyqua85.jpg

Thanks for your words and noticings Auggy ...the stripe on the inner door were there as a shadow line and honestly I hadn't noticed the stark contrast there until you pointed it out. I'm going to wash that down a bunch and be done as I'm sick of that darn pod and it's structural instability. Here's to hoping the brothers at FW are in the process of doing a new pattern DDP to replace the old mold.

Brothers- I'm about ready to start painting a batch of infantry as I've got a 10 man squad about ready to have colors laid down. I'm waiting for the spring rains to quit a bit as I don't want to airbrush when the moisture content in the air is so high :(

Also planning a few more units to be painted for the Fists and then I'll be kicking into gear with the bastards of the Iron IVth!!

IOk... amazing control is possible with airbrush... I just don't have a whole lot of it yet:) lightning is a paintover and the tank, she's a beast of questionable ethics but uncompromising and judicious application of power- believe I will be refitting her to serve the VIIth as a venerator.

Glad to have Man Cave weather as my shed painting days have begun... need dedicated electric run and a power strip , more lights, speakers... etc.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/Default75/IMG_5466_zpskkuzowvq.jpg

Have a pic of my DDP but photobucket is a tosser this eve

Whoa, what is that tank conversion? I don't see any pics of it before this.

Nice stuff Lionofjudah, the Lightning looks mint!

Here is my completed force for the Tale, kinda hard to get decent pics of these guys since they are all so big.

Armylist I was working to:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v68) (1715pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Questoris Knight Crusade Army v31) (1715pts) ++

+ HQ (495pts) +

Seneschal (495pts)

Cerastus Knight-Atrapos [Lascutter, Occular Augmetics, Singularity Cannon]

+ Elites (440pts) +

Preceptor (440pts) [Cerastus Knight-Acheron]

+ Troops (380pts) +

Scion Martial (380pts) [Cerastus Knight-Castigator]

+ Fast Attack (400pts) +

Scion Uhlan (400pts) [Cerastus Knight-Lancer]

Created with BattleScribe

gallery_81212_9961_372874.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_252407.jpg

And as there is no sight of the House Ærthegn transfers from Forgeworld, I may go ahead and make some and print them so I can get these guys fully finished....that and I would like to do some OSL since these guys are big enough and they can look a little plain without something to draw the eye.

I look forward to the next installment of the Tale, my Emperor's Children are ready to answer the call!

Alright, final update time. 

The event is officially over (as it as set out to run to the end of April). As was the intention when this event was started, I will show what I have finished:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zps3qiskhae.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsqy26yrev.jpg

Here's a complete list of what I did and did not finish:

Hidden Content

Command Choice

Librarius Conclave 

1x Codicier (2 Mastery Levels) 90 

1x Lexicanium on bike (1 Mastery Level) 85 

1x Lexicanium (1 Mastery Level) 65 

Auxiliary Choices

Skyhammer Annihilation Force

Devastator Squad with 4 Grav Cannons - 280 

Drop Pod - 35 

Devastator Squad with 4 Grav Cannons - 280 

Drop Pod - 35 

Assault Squad with Jump Packs, Eviscerator, 2x Flamer, and Melta Bombs (210) 

Assault Squad with Jump Packs, Eviscerator, 2x Flamer, and Melta Bombs (210) 

Hunting Force
Captain on Bike, Power Fist & Lightning Claws - 150 
Command Squad on Bikes, Company Champion, Apothecary, 2x Storm Shields, 2x Grav Guns - 205 Х
Bike Squad, +2 Bikers, 2x Grav Guns - 135 
Bike Squad, +2 Bikers, 2x Grav Guns - 135 

Unbound choices
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought with Cyclonic Melta Lance, Siege Drill and Hunter Killer Missiles - 325 
MkV Mortis Pattern Dreadnought with two Twin-Linked Lascannons and Extra Armour - 155 Х
Terminator Chaplain - 120 
Cataphractii Terminator Squad with Lightning Claws - 175 
Centurion Devastator Squad, Grav Amps and Omniscope - 265 

Lord of War
Typhon Heavy Siege Tank, lascannon sponsons - 390 

Total: 2985 /3345 points

So in the end, I finished quite a number of units, which I'm happy with. I did kinda fail the event, though, because I haven't finished the command squad on bikes or the Mortis Pattern Dreadnought that I vowed. There's a ton of reasons for this, ranging from 'the left arm lascannon of the dread only arrived by the end of april' to 'tournaments made me prioritize different units a couple times', but the most important one was the disappearance of The Psycho as the organizer of the event.

I'd like to share my thoughts on this. The B&C is a community of hobbyists, and we're all responsible for making it the awesome place it is. Everyone contributes what they are able and willing to contribute. Some are lurkers, others only comment. Some have Plogs or WIP threads, and some even organize events, like this one. Whatever the frater do, it is all a contribution to the community and all is appreciated. And as we're all human, sometimes, Real Life takes us away from the hobby we share. And that is fine. However, one of the contributions listed asks something more of the frater, namely organizing a community event. When a frater does that, they take on a responsibility over others, namely the participants of their event. As with all hobby stuff, Real Life can get in the way, but that doesn't discharge an Event Organiser from the responsibility they have taken upon themselves. It is for this reason that I enjoyed this event far less -and have participated far less enthusiastically -, than other events. To quote Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield: "What's worth doing, is worth doing well." This event was not run well. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Make no mistake, I have no problem at all with The Psycho having to discontinue his running of the event, and never had. Real Life intervenes sometimes, and I and everyone here understands that. It happens to all of us. What bothered me is not that the Psycho left the event, but how he left it: he did not take responsibility for the event. He just dropped the updates, promised to do better and subsequently didn't, and after a few weeks he just disappeared - while the entire purpose of the event is to share our process. Not just progress, but also difficulties. And so there couldn't have been a bigger contrast between what he practiced and what the event preached. A single, simple, brief message here announcing his departure - possibly requesting someone take over, or cancelling the event - would have sufficed. He didn't, however, and that bothered me. I think it has also led to the majority of the participants just leaving - the event organizer is, after all, the example to the participants. It also led me to see my continued participation in this event more as a responsibility to others than as a thing I enjoyed. I did enjoy the continued involvement and esprit de corps of the remaining frater, so big ups and thanks to lionofjudah, Brother SP, Kurama, SW1, Uveron, Rangaman, Lord Commander Eidolon, and Aeternas for keeping this event alive!

Ok My Final Update.

As normal the photos are not that great, but it's the full 1500pt force.

Hidden Content

gallery_63905_11231_927727.jpggallery_63905_11231_1272087.jpg

A great Looking Force there Augustus,

I can only apologise for my lack of updates in the last few months. I was doing well until January, I used my month off in Feb, and after that I hit burnout. some of that was me discovering AOS, but most of it is just my enthusiasm for this event died. it felt to much like a job, and kinda just to much work. Now I love events like this to keep my motivated, but this kinda didn't work that well. Ah well!

I still want to do an event like this again, maybe even run it. Giving it a few weeks to see how 8th edition goes, could be fun to have an event linked to the start of the new Edition,

gallery_81212_9961_372874.jpg

I look forward to the next installment of the Tale, my Emperor's Children are ready to answer the call!

Rangaman: They are some great looking knights. Well done!

@ Rangaman: Dude, your KNights look amazing. I'd love to see them with a bit better light - and those transfers!

@ Uveron: Dude, be proud of your force. It looks really good - I especially like the termniators with all their individual crests. Don't worry about your motivation in this event, we all suffered from it. And my deepest apologies for not entering you in the thanks - I editted you in!

Hey guys,

I will get up my full army shot later (as well as completion sigs) but I wanted to echo some of Augustus' sentiments.  This was by far the biggest single commitment event I have ever participated in/completed and I must say I am hugely proud to have an 1850 Point army to show for it (minus basing) but I will admit being somewhat saddened by how the event quickly dropped off.  I feel that with the original extra challenges that the original Tale was going to have (HQ month, Tanks another etc) for bonus internet cookies may have helped keep interest.  I am not going to criticise Psycho at all as I have done a similar thing in the past (unfortunately).  I just want to say I am proud of all those whom have made what success we could out of the Tale and particularly those whom kept up their drive and helped others do the same, eventually leading to completed forces: Augustus, Uveron, lionofjudah and rangaman.

Things I learnt on a personal scale:

- I suck at large painting commitments that are all similar units.  About half way I began to have lack motivation to start painting the rest of the Tacticals and ended up changing my list to add a predator and terminators just to keep myself going.  I must admit I am disappointed in myself for doing so as I feel like my completion was a little hollow due to changing my vow. 

- Base as I go: Another thing that has left me feeling like my victory was a bit of a cheat.  I have an entirely unbased army.  This was at the beginning because I didn't have the correct materials but later its because I couldn't be bothered.  Its why I have a squad of sleepy Assault marines whom cant stand on their own at the moment.

- Don't commit models I dont have the paints to complete: Another biggy.  I have three transports unfinished as I lacked to correct paint and I failed my Librarians for three months for the same reason.  I think this was one of the main things that took the wind out of my sails.

- Stick to weekly commitments of updates: Its hard but I feel I let everyone down by not providing weekly updates.  I mostly did before and after photos and that meant for a large part I wasn't part of the event.

But all in all I thoroughly enjoyed the Tale as much as possible and I do look forward to another similar event.  Although I shall be a touch wiser in my commitments.  In saying that as there is no ETL this year are there plans for another Tale soon and if so by whom?  If no one else has any plans I would love to run a similar event at some stage to help redeem my past transgressions.

Otherwise, thanks again all and will get my army pic up ASAP.

Congrats to the few who made it to the end. :tu: The army shots look great! You're definitely an example to follow for the rest of us.

Real life kicked me hard and kicked me relentlessly. I also put too much pressure on myself with multiple events which certainly didn't help. That said I do believe I have learned my lesson and shall strive to do better next time.

Congrats to the few who made it to the end. thumbsup.gif The army shots look great! You're definitely an example to follow for the rest of us.

Real life kicked me hard and kicked me relentlessly. I also put too much pressure on myself with multiple events which certainly didn't help. That said I do believe I have learned my lesson and shall strive to do better next time.

In other words: "I recognize my failure and will be sure to correct it." Spoken like a true Astartes, brother! Next time! :tu:

Also, what is that warhounds symbol doing as your avatar? Have you deserted the VII???!?!?!?! :p

I just wanna say this has been quite the ride. I have been silently following along since about halfway through and read each post. Congrats to those who stuck with it.

I would love to join in on another Tale, though I am waiting till 8th hits fully to pick up some more models and dive back in to B&C appropriate territory. Though which side of the Long War I'll be on is still open for debate. ;) Till then!

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: ToMAYtoes, ToMAHtoes. There's no clenched, black, left fist on a white field. Dosjetka has fallen. :p ;)

@ FlamingWalnut: thanks buddy! I must admit it kinda feels like we've been through hell together. If anything, I feel like this event has strengthened the bond between the frater that remained active. In that sense, the event was definitely a Great Succes! Thanks for making me have this revelation! :)

Archived