Bringers Of Despair - A Black Legion Log

Dorn Lysander

"I will never buy a Chaos Space Marine"

A ten year old me boldly declared, unwaveringly loyal to the forces of The Emperor, a fanatical collector of Black Templars, fast forward a few years, 2002 if memory serves, and the multi part plastic Chaos Space Marine box was released, thus the start of a slippery descent in to madness.  That Chaos Space Marine squad became the start of a long foray in to the service of the dark gods, I flickered between Black Legion, Iron Warriors and World Eaters, eventually I went on to collect over 10,000 points of painted miniatures by the time the first Apocalypse book came out and played some of the greatest games ever, admittedly very few of them resulted in victories but my enthralment with the ruinous powers was undeniable.

Over the last eight or nine years my devotions have ventured very much towards the Imperium of Man, casting aside the blessings of the Warmaster for my other loves, notably Black Templars and Imperial Fists, last year I tried to kick start my Chaos collection, having cast aside my old miniatures I began painting a new Black Legion force based around the old Medusa V campaign, one of my favorite times to be involved in the hobby, Black Legion unit production was at an all time high for me, but replicating this didn't quite boast the thousands of points I once held in awe, but it did get my foot in the proverbial door.

Onwards to the present, as I sat pondering which miniature to paint next a friend threw the new Khârn The Betrayer miniature at me (boxed, ouch corners!) and so the descent in to madness began again, within an hour or two Khârn was basecoated and had some shades settling on him, it seems my love for all things Chaos related has resumed and this year they shall once again be my focus for Armies On Parade.  Once Armies on Parade is out of the way i'll be preparing for an Apocalypse game in February and to play a campaign at Warhammer World in March with a group of friends.

That's quite enough waffling for now however, I thought i'd begin by showing off some of the units i've already painted for the army, so have at thee!

Firstly my Chaos Lord, an all time favorite miniature of mine, I painted this particular model to keep with the theme of Medusa V and use him to represent Ygethmor the Deceiver in my games, although I feel he's more suited to being a Lord than A Sorcerer so a more suitable Ygethmor conversion may be due in future.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160914_231402_zps5en68qhb.jpg

Ygethmor could never go in to battle without a bodyguard and so I painted the Bringers of Despair, Abbadon's personal retinue, sent to Medusa V to ensure Ygethmor did not fail, and if he should not succeed that he not leave that cursed world, to that end Ygethmor is always accompanied by my Terminators so they can keep a close eye on him.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160914_231258_zpsv4jgnxpb.jpg

The first of my Chaos Space Marine squads, because what self respecting Chaos Lord could go in to battle without Marines at his disposal, a second unit of these is currently at the top of my painting list, this will give me enough troops choices to use my Chaos Marines as a Combined arms detachment and help me towards fielding the Chaos Warband detachment.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160914_231613_zpsjofl4h1k.jpg

And finally, or certainly for now, the most recent addition to my budding warband the man of the moment, Khârn The Betrayer, he was such a fun model to paint, overall i'm happy with how he turned out, but there's still a few niggling things about him, I might go back and tidy up the paint job later, but for now i'm going to treat him as a happy excuse to ass some Khorne Berzerkers to my army!

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160914_2311120_zpsnm02tptv.jpg

And so I leave you all with this for now, I'll be back soon with some work in progress and with some luck some more painted models.

Well, welcome back to the fold, then! :)

Dat Khârn, tho.

FYI, your title is quite similar (if not the same) as another quite popular BL plog by Midnight Runner.

I wanted to point out the exact same thing, but Res Ipsa Loquitur ninja'ed me ;) But yeah, the title is really similar, to the point that I thought Midnight Runner had updated his own thread. You might want to think about a revision there -- not only because it's more convenient, but also because your own work is certainly cool enough to deserve its own footprint instead of being confused with somebody else's thread.

So, actually speaking about your models now: Excellent stuff all around! That Medusa V Terminator Lord is one of my all time favourites as well (still have an unpainted one sitting in my cupboard of shame for one of these days), and you and me are possibly the only people on the universe to agree that he looks more like a badass Lord than a Sorcerer -- anyway, great paintjob!

Love the CSM as well, as they have just the right amount of bling to make them interesting -- possibly the biggest challenge with Black Legion legionaries.

And finally, that Khârn really makes me want to see more Khornate Marines from you -- just sayin'... ;)

In short, tweak the name and keep up the excellent work!

Well that's a hell of a first post Dorn. Welcome!

Can you please paint my miniatures for me?

No joke this is great work! Very inspiring. I look forward to seeing more from you, even bust out the old army for the lols, we need more Black Legion in these parts if we are to crush the might of Dorn's descendants.

Thanks for the heads up guys, rats, the best Black Legion quote snatched from my grasp, perhaps a classic; "Horus was weak!". I'll be sure to check that log out too, I love anything Black Legion related.

Well, welcome back to the fold, then! smile.png

Dat Khârn, tho.

FYI, your title is quite similar (if not the same) as another quite popular BL plog by Midnight Runner.

I wanted to point out the exact same thing, but Res Ipsa Loquitur ninja'ed me msn-wink.gif But yeah, the title is really similar, to the point that I thought Midnight Runner had updated his own thread. You might want to think about a revision there -- not only because it's more convenient, but also because your own work is certainly cool enough to deserve its own footprint instead of being confused with somebody else's thread.

So, actually speaking about your models now: Excellent stuff all around! That Medusa V Terminator Lord is one of my all time favourites as well (still have an unpainted one sitting in my cupboard of shame for one of these days), and you and me are possibly the only people on the universe to agree that he looks more like a badass Lord than a Sorcerer -- anyway, great paintjob!

Love the CSM as well, as they have just the right amount of bling to make them interesting -- possibly the biggest challenge with Black Legion legionaries.

And finally, that Khârn really makes me want to see more Khornate Marines from you -- just sayin'... msn-wink.gif

In short, tweak the name and keep up the excellent work!

Thank you kindly, I'm only days back in to the service of The Warmaster and already reveling in the thrall of Chaos again. I really love that Lord model, he just doesn't scream Sorcerer, perhaps a conversion is in order, I've even got some of the old metal Chaos Sorcerer models, they still hold some charm over me, perhaps they'll be bathed in Dettol and updated.

I agree, it's hard to make Black Legion interesting without changing what they are, I think just the odd spot of colour here and there can really liven them up. I do hope to add some Berzerkers but I need to plot some conversions, not a massive fan of the models, I see a lot of people converting them from Blood Warriors these days so perhaps I'll give that a try.

Well that's a hell of a first post Dorn. Welcome!

Can you please paint my miniatures for me?

No joke this is great work! Very inspiring. I look forward to seeing more from you, even bust out the old army for the lols, we need more Black Legion in these parts if we are to crush the might of Dorn's descendants.

Thanks, I might crack out a few of the old miniatures, it would be fun to see how the armies evolved over the years.

Great looking stuff, I especially love how you've done the eyes on Khârn. I'm a big fan of the dead white eyes on khornate models.

Thanks, the eyes are really easy to achieve too, just dot the eyes with Ceramite White and pop some Nihilakh Oxide over the top.

I have a small update today, first of all I have a bit of a WIP, nothing too exciting, the second squad of Chaos Space Marines i've long lauded for, and secondly another of my existing miniatures.

So first of all Chaos Marine squad number two, the plan is to give these guys 2 plasma guns, like a true genius I forgot to build an icon bearer for the squad, drat.  I'l be sure to build one later.  I haven't built the bases for the squad yet, I think i'll do that as a seperate update.  I also used the last of my black legion shoulder pads on the squad, so I might have to get creative from here on in.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160916_115551_zpsnarut7u4.jpg

And the cheeky part of todays update, my Nurgle Daemon Prince, Ignatius Grulgor, I was a big fan of the way Grulgor was worked in to the Medusa V campaign, and the theme of the army at the time was to paint all the models that came out for the campaign, I think this is probably my favorite model i've ever painted.  I have a squad of Plague Marines to accompany him but i'd like to go back and finish them off a little bit before I post them, I think currently only one member of the squad is actually finished so they'll have to wait.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160914_231713_zpsjpratqxe.jpg

I was hoping to really crack on painting the second marine squad today but it's a bit wet here today so I think undercoating them might have to wait, perhaps i'll have to do a spot of building instead.

Love the Daemon Prince mate, looking forward to seeing the plague marines. I'm sure I still have the fall of medusa booklet/codex thing somewhere as well.

Cheers dude, got the book close at hand for a bit of reference when I need it.

I always find a bit of 'no frills' Black Legion to be joyfully nostalgic.

Nothing like the classics :)

Not much of an update today, been busy at work, on the plus side though after a disaster yesterday I managed to pick up a fresh can of spray today and get my marine squad undercoated so I can hopefully get a bit of paint on them tomorrow when i'm off work, 2 days off in a row so no excuse not to paint some toys.  And for a little bit of progress tonight i've managed to build a Dreadnought/Helbrute, it's still in a few sub assemblies so i've blu-tacked it for now.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160917_224606_zpsyijmco85.jpg

I had one of these in my original Black Legion army, the exact same configuration, I tried to strip my original one and the dettol turned it rubbery, I was gutted when I found out it was no longer available on the Forge World webstore, fortunately one day I went to Warhammer World with a few friends and the Forge World store had one in the last chance bucket, I couldn't resist picking one up.  This was the first model I ever bought from Forge World so it definitely holds a bit of a special place for me, i'm clearly getting slow in my age though, I spent an hour and a half cleaning it up, dry fitting it and putting it together, i'm pretty sure the original was painted and purity sealed in that time.

Just wanting to check - the metal head on the second of the far right Marine, that's an old Chaos Warrior head isn't it?

It's from the old Chaos biker upgrades, I had a few of them lying around, I think you can still but it as an upgrade kit.

Oh that nurgle DP is all kinds of amazing... Nice work all around but he sure takes the cake. Seeing how beautifully vibrant he is, I can't help but comment that your black looks just a little flat in comparison. Keep up the sweet work man! Excited for more!

Thanks, I know what you mean about the black, up to now i've been using Eshin Grey as a highlight, I may go back and add a second finer highlight of Dawnstone or Administratum Grey to add a bit of definition.

Today's been incredibly productive, I've been able to sit down and tinker on with a few marines today and i've been able to finish painting a combat squad and i've done the bases for the next 5 marines aswell, think I might paint something else in between though just to break things up, maybe some Raptors or my Helbrute.

Here's today's marines;

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/IMG_20160919_222349_zpslytjxvbt.jpg

I wasn't overly confident about these guys at first but i'm really pleased with how they turned out, i've made the gold on them a little brighter than I normally would, I think I might go back and do this on my older miniatures too.  Another first is the Champions power fist, i've tried to replicate the colours used on my Terminators Power Axes and I think this might become another staple of the army.

On a final slightly sad note, i'm delighted to have finally used the power generator from the old Cities Of Death basing kit, i've wanted to get it used for years but it never fit on a 25mm base, another reason to be thankful for 32's.

Fantastic thread, and a bit of nostalgia for me. The Fall of Medusa V is when I really started getting interested in 40k. I remember seeing the promotional poster with the Grulgor and some Plague Marines and Vostroyans and being instantly hooked. Good times.

Funnily enough, your story reminds me a lot of myself when I started out the hobby, except reversed. I was a die-hard Chaos fan, and had absolutely no desire to own a single Loyalist, and, well, just look at me now. :D

Nice work. As Kizzdougs says, they've got a rather old-school, 3rd Edition vibe to the painting.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Fantastic thread, and a bit of nostalgia for me. The Fall of Medusa V is when I really started getting interested in 40k. I remember seeing the promotional poster with the Grulgor and some Plague Marines and Vostroyans and being instantly hooked. Good times.

It was such a cool time to be involved in the hobby, I loved getting White Dwarf every month and reading the arming for Medusa V articles and all the guides on city bases where so inspiring.

Nice work dude! They've got a very old skool Black Legion vibe to them, which I really like thumbsup.gif

Only suggestion that I'd make is to drill out those gun barrels msn-wink.gif

Thanks I've always loved the Black Legion, especially that crisp 3rd Edition colour scheme. I'll get round to it eventually, currently a combination of business and let's not forget me being lazy stand in the way.

What helmet does that middle chap have?

It's one of the heads from the Iron Warrior upgrade pack, you can find them here; https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Space-Marines-Iron-Warriors-Upgrade-Pack

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/99800102025_IronWarriorsUpgradePackNEW01_zpsk8sxl1uc.jpg

Funnily enough, your story reminds me a lot of myself when I started out the hobby, except reversed. I was a die-hard Chaos fan, and had absolutely no desire to own a single Loyalist, and, well, just look at me now. biggrin.png

Nice work. As Kizzdougs says, they've got a rather old-school, 3rd Edition vibe to the painting.

I was so staunchly loyal to the Emperor back then, whilst I love my Imperial armies after 8 years of solid work I definitely feel like I need a break from them. I used to love some of the armies featured in White Dwarf and codexes during that period, they've definitely played a telling influence on my chaos collection.

Awesome squad dude, I like that squad. The IronWarriors head works great!

Thanks man, I love the Iron Warrior heads, I think they fit in so nicely and have such a menacing look about them.

Now on to todays update, whilst not indicative of hobby progress, I have picked up some new additions;http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160920_221416_zps8n7ehnwb.jpg

That's my board for Armies On Parade now, i've got a few ideas but theyll probably change once I get a bit of scenery on there, The Heldrake will hopefully be one of two large centrepieces for the board, the second being a renegade Knight, but for three and a half weeks work that might be optimistic.

Todays update comes courtesy of slackers anonymous, i've built my Heldrake and left it in a few sub-assemblies, I need to get some Blu-tac before I can spray it and build the base for it, but i'm still not sure how i'm going to go about that.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Legion/20160921_214139_zpshj9horpt.jpg

Archived