I was going to vow my sanguinary priest, but he had an accident.  Thus, my DC chaplain moves to first in the queue.  

I Hannibal rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete one death company chaplain and one storm bolter for a razorback on or before November 30th, 2016. Should I bring honour to the Blood AngelsI will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

Before photo:

DC chaplain

After photo:

RTS Chaplain

Edited by Hannibaal

I started painting tonight and then realized I might as well pledge the models before I get any more done. My laptop is dying so taking a real pic is a pain, so sorry for the phone pic. I'll take a real one when I finish.

I Tyriks rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete 5 death company on or before November 30th, 2016. Should I bring honour to the Blood Angels I will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_12489/gallery_92812_12489_276364.jpg

I, the Mad Greek, rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete (1) Death Company Chaplain, re-mark Squad PYRROS (counts as Raphen's Death Co), and (1) Bull Rider (counts as Space Marine Bike) on or before November 30th, 2016. Should I bring honour to the KHALKOTAUROI (Blood Angel Successor) I will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

Need some advice, pointers, tips.  My army is Bronze.  Shiny Bronze for "regular" Marines, a Dark Bronze for DC.  For the "shiny" guys, shading is easy for me.  I can use a brownish wash to deepen the color and darken the recesses.  That doesn't really work on the DC.  If they were black I would use a grey "highlight," but that doesn't work.  And I don't necessarily want to use the shiny Bronze to highlight as it would then remove some of the distinct look of the DC Marines being so dark.

I have considered using the Nihilakh Oxide to shade the DCs.  I was questioned by some freinds as to "why Marines would let there armor Verdigris like that."  I originally considered just doing it on DC dreadnoughts, since they are SOOO old, but now think I might try it on regular DC as well.  Ill post a picture of a (very basic) test model and I encourage feedback.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t371/MDemetris/IMAG0310_zpsxkpgpoti.jpghttp://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t371/MDemetris/IMAG0311_zpsthbwtd0n.jpgSo, shoulder pads on both, and a little forearm on the second picture.

Edited by MadGreek

I'm actually having problems with bronze, too. My DC are metallic, so I tried iron armor with brass Iconography and with 3 or 4 coats of brass on it barely stands out from the iron. But the bronze is too far the other way and it stands out way too much... not sure what my other options are.

I like the look of the verdigris (if applied evenly) but, like you said, it's hard to explain even the DC being allowed to represent the Chapter in gear that badly upkept.

My only possible justification is that the armor is ancient and revered, and the verdigris is a sign of that age - and thus an honor?  Just spitballing here.

And now to figure out how to fix my signature block!!

edit - but I'll take that as 1 for verdigris :wink:

Edited by MadGreek

Maybe I could make a suggestion on the metallics for Marines?

Use a flat color that isn't a metallic to look like battle damage in the edges, like primer or bare metal that isn't polished. Do it on the edges most likely to be rubbed on something, not every edge on the model. Then, outline the part is the scratch or mock primer area with a hint of plain gun metal color. This makes it look like the divot in the armor is flat in the deep pock mark, metal sharp on the spot where the chunk tore away, then normal armor on top of that.

It's hard to describe. I need a picture.

Edited by Father Mapple

Those Scion helmets on the Scouts look good! Just the stark color change made me double guess where the bits came from.

Maybe the thinnest of thin reikland fleshade washes to add definition to the white? I'd be scared to try it. It looks good as it is, really. 

Those Scion helmets on the Scouts look good! Just the stark color change made me double guess where the bits came from.

Maybe the thinnest of thin reikland fleshade washes to add definition to the white? I'd be scared to try it. It looks good as it is, really. 

Thanks! I will have to think about using Reikland Fleshade, could be a good plan. 

And yes the Scion heads are great, I have used them on all my scouts. (See my thread here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325360-uverons-imperials-–-wip-log-tale-of-20-hobbyists/?p=4514695) 

My only possible justification is that the armor is ancient and revered, and the verdigris is a sign of that age - and thus an honor?  Just spitballing here.

And now to figure out how to fix my signature block!!

edit - but I'll take that as 1 for verdigris :wink:

I have a couple more thoughts here:  

1) Could it be caused by some ritual they perform on their DC?  Like storing the armor when no one is wearing it in the cleansing (salt)waters of a holy site?  Or some other ritual that would make fighting it pointless.

2) This is dependent on your fluff (or how willing you are to adjust), but you could say they only clean the armor when the bearer dies, and try to get surviving DC into stasis between fights.  Then have varying amounts of verdigris on different models to show some have been around longer.  

3) Maybe they do it intentionally - some hero or legend from their past saved the day in armor covered in it, so now they emulate him.

I would offer up:

The armour is deliberately left to show its scars and wear & tear. That these wounds to the suit are seen as part of its lineage and the chapter 's legacy, that buffing them up and returning them to pristine state post battle would erase the memory of the brothers who had worn and fallen in them previously, as well as the memory of their great acts both before and after their decent into the black rage. So although to the uneducated they may seem disrespected and left to deteriate, the weathering and damage is actually the highest honour the suit and it's encombant can be given, as it acts as a visual reminder of the honour role and sacrifice made by those clad in black.

Gentlemen,

Good thoughts from both of you. Thank you.  I was going to incorporate that DC are put in stasis between battles if they survive (like DC dreads are).  That would allow a build up of Verdigris.  And even after they pass the Verdigris is left to honor the fallen who have worn it.

Yep, something like that.  Thanks again.  Matter settled for me.

On the note of Death Company - My vow is making progress... 8 done. 2 to go. Then the Chaplain. Then the tidy up to fix all the errors you see only after declaring something done.

gallery_88305_12412_699960.jpg

Mmm, DC with packs and bolters. How do they work out in game for you?

On the note of Death Company - My vow is making progress... 8 done. 2 to go. Then the Chaplain. Then the tidy up to fix all the errors you see only after declaring something done.

gallery_88305_12412_699960.jpg

I would so like to try this out some day.. Too bad my pewter DC models aren't magnetized so they are infantry only.. When/if I build plastic DC (I have some kits, but I am planning on making them Vanguards instead because I already have some DC and no Vanguards..) I'll certainly magnetize the arms as well!

Havent tried them out yet! Have 2 more to add, then a Chaplain with a jump pack, fist and bolt pistol (as well as his usual wargear).

The thinking is that 8 bolters and 2 bolt pistols (hammer guys - deliberately modeled with one handed hammers and pistols for that option), on relentless, and jump packs, will provide a very manoeuvrable fire platform to lay down hurt on mid level toughness opposition. Putting 2 hammers and a fist in the squad (including the chappy who will bounce around with them) also lets it take out / threaten heavier armour. The chaplain also gives re-rolls (always good to have). And if anyone charges them they are fighting 10 DC. Or you could just charge them first...

Just seems like the kind of unit that would not be fun to deal with if it was coming the other way.

Edited by SM1981

Havent tried them out yet! Have 2 more to add, then a Chaplain with a jump pack, fist and bolt pistol (as well as his usual wargear).

The thinking is that 8 bolters and 2 bolt pistols (hammer guys - deliberately modeled with one handed hammers and pistols for that option), on relentless, and jump packs, will provide a very manoeuvrable fire platform to lay down hurt on mid level toughness opposition. Putting 2 hammers and a fist in the squad (including the chappy who will bounce around with them) also lets it take out / threaten heavier armour. The chaplain also gives re-rolls (always good to have). And if anyone charges them they are fighting 10 DC. Or you could just charge them first...

Just seems like the kind of unit that would not be fun to deal with if it was coming the other way.

Is this a legal loadout?  I believe you have to trade the pistol away for the Fist.