Requests for additional (sub-)forums

IVIilitarus

But then would that also mean splitting Team Chaos into five seperate factions for the ETL? msn-wink.gif

Which I think would be perfectly fair.

To use a crude analogy:

Four gods = BA/DA/SW/ DW&GK in terms of size.

Undivided legions are covered by the codex in a similar number:

RG IH SL IF UM WS v.s. IW AL WB NL BL & other Warbands

Checks out in terms of following if you ask me, especially with the new rules coming for all :)

You'd then probably roll the demons into the god forum perhaps?

We'll have to see how much posting there actually is when it's released imho. No point of having a subforum if it's a ghost town. Khorne Daemonkin didn't generate that many actual posts when it came.

I mostly ask because 1KSons seems to be the first that has a real dedicated range of kits.

It could be worth considering just God Specific and then undivided?

I'll be clearer for everyones sake:

Khorne would cover KDK, KD, General Khorne Armies and Warbands and inevitable World Eater Releases.

Tzeench would be 1KSons etc

Same for the other gods, expanding when they get specific books.

Undivided would be the other legions/ renegades, heretics and.... Furies tongue.png (SO basically a million Iron Warrior players tongue.png)

I think you could get a real sense of comrodarie and rivalry with the gods!

Tried the 4 Gods thing before. We've tried Legion specific Forum. We've tried Numerous set ups but none of them have worked the way we would like.

If I may throw in my 2 cents of thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did CSM ever gained such a treatment like it's about to happen?

With an extra book full of Legion rules, detachments and the like.

With an own "codex" for the Thousand Sons?

I agree with you that we should wait until the Traitor Legions book is released. But if it turns out to be decent enough, why not merge CSM and Demons?

Forces of Chaos

- Tzeentch (Thousand Sons, Demons, warbands)

- Khorne (KDK, World Eaters, Demons, warbands)

and so on

Would be more overseeable. At least for me. ^^

Use Deathwatch as a yardstick; they are a faction built largely on existing units from the core Codex, with just a few new entries (namely Artemis, the Watch Master, Kill Team and Corvus Blackstar), unique Relics and some fancy detachment rules to differentiate them. This gets it's own subforum and in the few months since release has already surpassed the White Scars, Inquisition and Lost & Damned forums in terms of topic-numbers.

Now Thousand Sons has more unique unit entries than Deathwatch (Rubric Marines, Scarab Occult Terminators, Tzaangors, Ahriman and Magnus) plus a new Legion-specific kit for a generic unit entry (Sorcerers). It also gives them more unique unit entries than: Black Templars (3 Characters, 1 Unit), Imperial Fists (2 Characters), Iron Hands (Nothing), Raven Guard (1 Character), Salamanders (1 Character), White Scars (1 Character) and ties them with Ultramarines (6 Characters), all of which have their own subfora.

A new model range, rules and supplement, combined with the imminent release of the 30k sons, will drive a lot of new interest in to the faction and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume it'd be on a par popularity wise with the Deathwatch.

Indeed. Keep in mind the creation of the Deathwatch forum only occurred after it was shown that there was a vast array of topics on the faction, either in the Codex: Space Marines forum or the Adeptus Astartes one (I can't actually recall.) Size/number of units in the Codex had nothing to do with the creation of the forum, it was how much conversation was going on about it in such a brief amount of time. I imagine that if Thousand Sons undergoes a similar surge in popularity, the staff will take it into consideration, but until then I wouldn't cross my fingers for anything.

Agree on all of the above that:

1) TS are getting love

2) Splitting Chaos by god didn't help anything before, although maybe this idea died because chaos wasn't getting any love? I remember the Tzeentch forum was generally dead.

But...

3) If Traitor Legions provides rules for all legions, and they do not receive dedicated sub forums, then what is the justification for having a sub forum for each codex chapter?

But then would that also mean splitting Team Chaos into five seperate factions for the ETL? msn-wink.gif

Only if you do the same for Codex, who already are split in the forums ;-)

Maybe you need to start splitting HH by Forge World book in the ETL...so SoH, WE, DG and EC as the 'Betrayal' faction :D

Aye - I think with the advent of KDK, 1KSons and whatever treatment the fat guy and the hot girl/guy get, the four gods are more supported than ever.

You then have a codex forum with subs for the Black Legion, Night Lords, Word Bearers, Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion.

I've never really ventured into the Chaos forum, but having 9 legions + warbands + KDK seems like a LOT in one place.

Aye - I think with the advent of KDK, 1KSons and whatever treatment the fat guy and the hot girl/guy get, the four gods are more supported than ever.

You then have a codex forum with subs for the Black Legion, Night Lords, Word Bearers, Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion.

I've never really ventured into the Chaos forum, but having 9 legions + warbands + KDK seems like a LOT in one place.

Tbh the only thing that I could see *could* work would be god specific sub forums, for both mortals and daemons, instead of the 3 chaos forums we have now. Alongside an undivided one, that would only add two extra subforums. The real question - are there enough fans of less supported gods to make it work? Tzeentch and Khorne fans have quite a good range and books, but nothing for nurgle and slaanesh so far besides some daemons and old models :(

Tbh the only thing that I could see *could* work would be god specific sub forums, for both mortals and daemons, instead of the 3 chaos forums we have now. 

That's the problem, that's what we had before the current iteration, and it didn't work.

Until Chaos has releases for all main powers and begins to hit that critical mass of player base that codex marines have, there isn't too much point in splitting people up.

Tbh the only thing that I could see *could* work would be god specific sub forums, for both mortals and daemons, instead of the 3 chaos forums we have now. 

That's the problem, that's what we had before the current iteration, and it didn't work.

Until Chaos has releases for all main powers and begins to hit that critical mass of player base that codex marines have, there isn't too much point in splitting people up.

Yep, it didn't worked back when there where no god specific releases :P

Maybe we could do Undivided, Khorne (since we have KDK) and Tzeentch for now, and add slaanesh and nurgle down the line once they got a release?

I don't think there's enough Khorne-related discussion to warrant a seperate subforum just yet. But I'm saying that as as an occasional visitor of the Chaos part so I have very little idea of how it's like on a day-to-day basis.

I don't think there's enough Khorne-related discussion to warrant a seperate subforum just yet. But I'm saying that as as an occasional visitor of the Chaos part so I have very little idea of how it's like on a day-to-day basis.

I've never felt there was traffic to justify it. Even now the Daemons forum is not this wild flowing discussion.

The 3 divisions we have now seem more than enough?

We're taking a "wait and see" approach on this.

The Thousand Sons material isn't a codex - it's part of a campaign (Wrath of Magnus is part of the War Zone Fenris campaign). In and of itself, that doesn't warrant a dedicated sub-forum (e.g., the Flesh Tearers as a result of the Shield of Baal campaign).

Similarly, the Codex Supplement: Traitor Legions is, as the name suggests, a codex supplement (to Codex: Chaos Space Marines) and doesn't, in and of itself, warrant a dedicated sub-forum.

Two exceptions will justify dedicated sub-forums (i.e., a reformatting of the site structure) and those will have to do with one or both of the following:

• Distinctive rules for the Legions - something like the Chapter Tactics for the Chapters covered in Codex: Space Marines. Note that this doesn't inherently drive the creation of dedicated sub-forums (as the Chapters with Chapter Tactics from Forge World demonstrate), and
  • Sustained increase in topics about the various Legions - this would be driven by a long term (not immediate temporary surge) increase in topics creating a situation where there are so many topics in the Chaos Space Marines forum that it becomes difficult to maintain awareness and participation in recent and ongoing topics (i.e., too many new topics are created about different Legions and new topics fall off the front page rapidly).
In all likelihood we're going to need both of the above criteria filled because we've tried various structures in the past (when both were true - both Legion-based and power-based depending upon the state of the Chaos Space Marine codex/rules at the time) and there just wasn't enough traffic to justify having multiple forums for the various Chaos Space Marine factions.

This isn't a "yes" or "no" answer. We're going to wait and see and then we'll make a decision.

It seams to me that pretty much every reason for and against is presented.

The ground work for change (aha!) Has been laid out with WoM and the big break out may come with the contents of traitor legions...

We shall see...

Personally I'll update my word bearers and start on some IW with some actual progress after IFE-IV... and after I see the traitor suppliment... I'm glad I've procrastinated on my CSM.

Maybe we should stop suggesting a forum for a new faction since by default the mods and administrative consider and debate making new forums and subs for new factions without us specifically mentioning it...

Yeah make the suggestion if after a week from actual release a forum hasn't been made and posts for a faction get scattered thru every other section, like how deathwatch was all over the place until they got the new forum open. (This is a process example, not an example of a forum they didn't think they needed)

Archived