TALE - The Praetorian of Terra

simison

He felt his father staring at him and realizing he was rubbing his back again. Grumbling to himself about evil needles, Alkylles was at least happy that the process had been done after they had put him to sleep. If he had to be awake while they jabbed with those hideous things, he didn't know if he could stop himself from running out of the room screaming. Even just thinking about the operation caused his anxiety soared. 

He went back to looking at the stars. He wondered how many stars he would conquer, how many planets they would name after his exploits. Now he was getting antsy for a different reason. The transport came to a sleepy halt outside the portus. At this hour, the hub wasn't seeing much activity as the only aircraft arriving and departing were a few cargo holders and the rare tourist carrier who's flights were either delayed or set up at this dark hour due to how cheap the tickets were. Alkylles had always thought it was stupid that tourists came all the way out here, but apparently some people preferred more easy-going vacations, compared to the fast-paced visits at the capital or the crowded beaches at Minos.

As the doors open, the few other passengers steadily filed out with Alkylles and his father stuck at the end of the line.  

A cool midsummer's breeze welcomed Alkylles as he stepped out into the open air. It felt good on his back, so he turned in that direction before allowing his father lead them to the entrance. He had only been here once before after a particularly successful fishing season. His father had treated the family to a quick vacation in the capital. That had been years ago, and Alkylles was subconsciously surprised when everything was smaller than what he remembered. 

[Does anybody know what a 40k airport looks like?]

A literal airport or a full capacity port aka star port? The biggest change either way from ours are the lack of runways most Imperial aircraft have VTOL tech so they don't need it, and if they can handle sub orbital or orbital craft they'll have maglev suspended landing pads to deal with greater impact and heavier vehicles, otherwise they typically look like turn of century century stations like Grand Central or the Michigan Central Station when it was active.

A literal airport or a full capacity port aka star port? The biggest change either way from ours are the lack of runways most Imperial aircraft have VTOL tech so they don't need it, and if they can handle sub orbital or orbital craft they'll have maglev suspended landing pads to deal with greater impact and heavier vehicles, otherwise they typically look like turn of century century stations like Grand Central or the Michigan Central Station when it was active.

Since it's a smaller facility, just an airport. Then again, I want the aircraft the recruits board to be a thunderhawk. So, that would require a maglev pad, right?

Lots of platforms, and moar statues

Heck, have big towers festooned with docking platforms

Well, I'm trying to strike a balance between the gothic structure of 40k/30k and the more functional practicality of Starship Troopers. Though I will now throw in a statue since you mentioned it. Would you like to nominate someone to be the statue?

Yeah half a dozen standard pads should be fine, I assume it'll mostly be like Arvus Lighter and Lighting sized craft with the larger non maglev required stuff being Storm Eagles and Valkyries.

I think because of the grandiose scale of 40k in general we all forget how big some things can be or at least I do, because a Thunderhawk IRL would be fething massive.

Although detailed instructions had been given to which pad Alkylles was required to assemble at, he was already well aware of where he needed to go. Out of the six landing pad that this portus was home to, only one of them was big enough to suit the purposes of the Fifth Legion. If he had forgotten about his previous visit or the instructions given to him last night, it was hard to miss the other young boys moving in the same direction. As Alkylles and his father step into the portus' entrance, Alkylles counted at least a dozen or two boys around his age, no doubt other successful applicants. Alkylles was lucky in that regard. Most of the time, after passing the initial testing, applicants had to wait for the next training rotation so enough applicants could be brought together to fill in a training regiment. Had Alkylles arrived a day later, he would have had to wait an entire month. 

Edited by simison

• 3 weeks later...

They made their way to the first checkpoint. A sleep-deprived member of the PDF oversaw a steady stream of people coming through, only bothering to check a passenger every now and then to give the impression of work. 

Right before the checkpoint, a marble statue stood in the center, welcoming the populace. Or, rather it was supposed to. Garudos had certainly made his mark on Delos after he designed the Javelin fighter, which became the Delians' best fighter against the hated xeno raiders. However, the architect's insistence on capturing the reality of the man left something to be desired. A pathetic excuse of a beard and wild hair framed the statue's pinched and narrow face. Although he wore the traditional tools of his trade, lab coat and  heavy goggles, it did little to make the statue more presentable. Holding a dataslate, Garudos was supposed to be looking majestically to the stars, but Alkylles always thought the man looked bored and was avoiding his work. 

Edited by simison

Alkylles turned his attention away from the aeronautical engineer as he and his father walked up to the checkpoint. The soldier took one, half-eyed glance at them and waved them through. It was a reminder why Alkylles wasn't content to join the PDF or the Imperial Army. If one was going to fight for the Imperium, why take the lazy and easy route when one could become the path of becoming a space marine? After the security checkpoint, the building split into six different hallways, each one leading to its own pad. Each one mirrored its each other except for the center one. It was easily three times larger than any of the others, made to specifications to provide ample room for anything the Wardens wanted to transport or even for a Primarch to comfortably walk through.

In front of this hallway was the only other guard in the facility. Unlike the previous one, this one was clad in purple armour and dutifully verified the identity of each individual that would dare to come before him. Alkylles felt his heart quicken. Staring at the Halcyon Warden, his dream felt all the more real and close to coming into reality. 

Before they reached the space marine, his father stopped him before kneeling down in front of him. "Look at me, son," he commanded. 

That was the last thing Alkylles wanted to do. Embarrassment welled up within him. He didn't want to appear weak before the Warden but knew his father wasn't going to let him escape. Doing everything he could to ignore everything around him, Alkylles turned to his father. 

"I know who I am and who I am not. Fishing is good, honest hard work. It's kept you and our family fed and kicking all these years. I don't regret it, same as my father and his father before him. I serve Delos in my own such way by being good and honest at it. You may become a Son of Salim, but what matters is that you be good and honest at it. You do that, and everything else will take care of itself."

"Yes, father."

The father began to reach around Alkylles' shoulders, paused, and then aborted the action. Alkylles felt equal pangs of relief and disappointment. His father had never been an affectionate man before. He guessed he wasn't about to start now. 

Old and tired brown eyes studied Alkylles for a moment. He squeezed his son's shoulders. "Make us proud, son. And keep in touch for your mother's sake."

With that, his father released him and stood back up. Alkylles started walking towards the helmeted legionnaire. With a start, he realized his father wasn't walking by his side. He glanced over his shoulder to see his father standing at the same spot. His father nodded to him. Alkylles didn't know why, but that hit him hard. He felt an irrational urge to run back to his father's side. 

He stomped it back down.

Not sure what he was losing, Alkylles walked up to the space marine, joining a small crowd of boys around his age. Most of them stood next to their parents, but a few stood alone, like Alkylles. 

Seemingly oblivious to everything going on before him, the Warden continued to read names. Every time someone answered, the transhuman gave the same instructions. "Enter and proceed to the thunderhawk. Find an open seat and secure yourselves."

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the marine read off, "Alkylles Kalonimos?"

Alkylles stepped forward. He had long imagined himself shouting 'Present!' as clear as day. Yet, now that the moment was upon him, his voice deserted him. So, he just lifted an arm.

The Halcyon Warden paid no mind as he continued, "Enter and proceed to the thunderhawk. Find an open seat and secure yourself."

Managing a nod, Alkylles stepped past the towering giant and hurried down the promethium-smelling hallway to the elevator at the end. He managed to slip past the closing door and took his place next to two other recruits. 

The one to his right was a hair shorter than he was but looked a couple of years older. His light hair and skin identified as one of Delos' northerners. Already, the teen had a mismatched tan even though he couldn't have been here for more than a few days. His clothes, though proper for the local weather, looked unused. The older boy glared at Alkylles when he caught the younger looking at the skin patterns. "Stop it," he tiredly growled as he pushed himself against the elevator's wall. 

The elevator, with a jerk, ascended. 

The other looked about Alkylle's age. With chocolate skin and hazel eyes, it was obvious he was a Sindhuan. Alkylles had never been this close to one before since none of them lived on Skiros. According to history class, Sindhuans and Hellasans had warred with one another, though Alkylles had trouble believing it. That was all before the arrival of Lord VonSalim. The Westerner didn't appear to be that different from Alkylles minus the different colors. He certainly looked as tired as Alkylles felt, now that his excitement was ebbing. 

The Sindhuan glanced at Alkylles before clapping his hands together. "Nama, I am Ritesh. What's your name?"

Although curious about the first word, Alkylles waved his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Alkylles Kalonimos."

"You will still carry your last name when you become a Disciple of Darshan?" Ritesh asked with open curiosity. 

Edited by simison

• 7 months later...

Alkylles quirked an eyebrow. "What's a Disciple of Darshan?"

Now Ritesh was confused. "You do not know who Pandita Darshan is?"

"Yeah, isn't it obvious?" The older boy added with a smirk. 

Alkylles looked back and forth between the pair, confusion and irritation growing within him. Before he could answer, the elevator jerked to a halt. With a hiss, the doors opened and the elevator was flooded with wind.