You Cannot Die with Dignity: A Heart of Hateful Iron

Soldier of Dorn

YOU CANNOT DIE WITH DIGNITY:

A HEART OF HATEFUL IRON

med_gallery_78067_11287_42594.jpg

"Trouble is to man what rust is to iron."

- Anonymous

"Our bodies break down: sometimes when we're ninety, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it. I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass... it's always ugly. Always. You can live with dignity; you can't die with it."

- Medicae Grigori Haus, c. M3.

I live, I breathe. I am the Iron Tyrant's will.

I am no man. I have not been for centuries. The Emperor took me and reforged me into a monster, a living weapon, a being capable of infinite destruction. I marched to war with thousands of my brothers, many of whom now lie dead in some long-forgotten ditch somewhere, at his word. He didn't care about us, we were simply tools to be used and then discarded when we were no longer effective. We were overlooked, in favor of his prized VII Legion, first at Roma but many times afterwards. We were never acknowledged for our works, simply ignored. When he had no more use for us, he gave us to one of his Sons to use.

I hate him. I have always hated him for this. When the Lord of Iron made the choice to stand with his brother the Warmaster in war against the Emperor, I followed willingly. Not simply because he was my father and my Tyrant, but because he allowed us our vengeance. He let us slaughter those fools who were still loyal to the Emperor, and promised us that we would break his power holds. We leapt at this opportunity.

Now here, seven years after the Massacre at the Dropsites of Isstvan, we are afforded this final release of hatred. In the mud and trenches of Terra, we face the precious VII Legion, the Emperor's Praetorians: his Imperial Fists. We will break them here. After we break his chosen Legion, we will tear into the ripe shell that he names a "palace" and tear him down from his throne. Not so that the Warmaster Lupercal can ascend to the Imperium's rule, or for any sort of petty political machination, but for good, simple, old fashioned hatred, and revenge.

It is my Tyrant's will, and I will fulfill. I live, I breath. I will forge his war.

I am Iron Within.

I am Iron Without.

- Warsmith Dhur Gulak, IV Legion Astartes

+++

Evening, folks. Recently, I've been feeling a bit out of it when it comes to the hobby, and school starting up again hasn't exactly aided in that, but I've got several things I've got to care of, one of which is an out of competition vow I made a while back for the Iron Without painting challenge. I swore to build a Warsmith of the IV Legion, and I've not had much inspiration in this regard. Recently, though, I was browsing Facebook and came across this conversion from Prometian Painting, and the spark plugs started firing.

I knew for a while that I wanted to build him in Terminator armor, specifically Cataphractii, as that's how I envision Warsmiths of the Legion, but I wasn't sure what loadout I wanted to arm him with. I wanted a blunt trauma weapon like a mace/maul or a power fist but I wasn't sure exactly. Still wasn't quite sure when I set out to build him, but I had a thunder hammer from the Vanguard Veteran kit that worked.I like the look of the trophies on the back of the Prometian Painting model, and though it's not quite the aesthetic I'd normally have in mind for the IW, it's got a certain brutality present that seems appropriate.

I'm not sure if this is going to lead to a larger army project or not, but if I enjoy painting/building this one enough, it may. If it does, it will make a nice counterpart for my Imperial Fists project once that gets further along, and this thread will be expanded. I don't know. We'll see.

Anyways, onto the pretty pictures. This is Dhur Gulak, Warsmith of “Shatter Company,” 41st Grand Battalion, Iron Warriors Legion, or as I like to call him: Li'l Peturabo.

med_gallery_78067_12433_327902.jpgmed_gallery_78067_12433_417753.jpg

med_gallery_78067_12433_620639.jpgmed_gallery_78067_12433_358700.jpg\med_gallery_78067_12433_667390.jpgmed_gallery_78067_12433_364866.jpg

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

Wow. Thanks all, for the incredibly encouraging response. It means a ton to me.

Great, great start. The basing is superb and the custom back poles are a great touch. I like that you managed to fit a House reference in there too msn-wink.gif

Thanks, man, that's certainly a compliment coming from one of the masters of 30k-era basing, especially for the first "fancy" base I've ever done. As for the back stuff, I put that on for two reasons: one, it just looks absolutely brutal, and secondly, I wanted to make some ties to the corruption of Chaos and the look of Chaos Terminators, since he's supposed to be modeled at the Siege of Terra, and something similar to the back spikes of the current Chaos Terminators were the simplest thing to incorporate. Even though I hate the ones on the Chaos Terminators with a passion, I think I pulled it off well here. And I love House, the cynical, brilliant bastard. Definitely one of Hugh Laurie's Top 3 best performances (alongside Jeeves and Wooster and Blackadder.) I felt I had to use that particular quote somewhere.

Holy moly! This guy looks like a beast!

Awesome warsmith, looking forward to whats coming next.

Thanks mate! I wanted to make him look titanic, tyrannical, a monster who manages to instill fear in his fearless men. If I do continue down the path of Iron, it'll be after the (all-but-confirmed) MKIII plastics come out.

Awesome work! The trophy wrack is a really nice touch thumbsup.gif

Thanks man. Regarding the trophies, see my response to Arkhan above.

Lovely stuff. Good to see an empty hand, too – sometimes that gives the rest of the model greater presence, as in this brooding, threatening figure.

Wow, thanks. I agree that an empty hand is oftentimes a great option to bring character to a model, especially in conjunction with a complementary pose, and seeing as if I ever build an entire army of Iron Warriors, this guy would be the centerpiece as far as infantry goes, so I wanted to bring as much of my skillset to the model as I could. The Officio Monstrosa was hugely inspiring as I was developing some of the early concepts I had in mind for this force, so thanks for that too.

Nice intimidating pose.

Thanks Pearson. See my response to Apologist above.

Beautiful model and fluff man. That said I'm disappointed in you... The IV? By the emperor.

I don't know if I want you sitting next to me in the mess hall no more.

Seriously though, great model and posing. The spikes were a great touch. Add a simple brutality.

Awesome mate! Can't wait to see you do some iron biggrin.png

Thanks bud. There will be more, but probably not for a while, at least 'til the MKIII plastics come out. I'll find some way to fill that time though. :D

Beautiful model and fluff man. That said I'm disappointed in you... The IV? By the emperor.

I don't know if I want you sitting next to me in the mess hall no more.

Seriously though, great model and posing. The spikes were a great touch. Add a simple brutality.

...I know... :( Both you and Dos have made their disappointment in me quite clear. But don't think this means I'm done with my Fists by any means, I just wanted someone for my guys to fight (and it's nice to have an extra force, in case another person is playing the same Legion.) Thanks bro. :)

This.... I like this. Why do I like this? He's not only a traitor... He's a bloody Iron Warrior...

Why you gotta make me question my existence man. Why?

http://i.imgur.com/87SiaKa.jpg

I feel ya though, man. As a guy building some Imperial Fists too, a little part of me died inside when I actually followed through with this idea (not enough to stop me, mind, but some part nonetheless.) Would it help to know that this guy was heavily influenced by this Cataphractii character of yours? :devil: tongue.png

Thanks for the compliment. Hope you move past your existential crisis. :P

So progress: got some of the basecoats down. Not much, and not all of them obviously, but I'm happy with how he's taking shape. My classes start tomorrow morning, though, and so I'm certain that'll affect progress a little bit. Hopefully not too much, but a little bit.

med_gallery_78067_12433_499059.jpg

Thanks for looking.

What about your Fists, hmm? tongue.png

If you fail your vow, being a filthy traitor will be the least of your worries. America ain't all that far away, y'know. devil.gif

Ain't gonna happen. I swear by the Emperor and by Horus, by Dorn, Sanguinius, Perturabo, and the Gods of Chaos that I'll complete all my current vows or die trying. I'll get back to my Fists by the end of the week. :)

And 'Murica doesn't have to be real far away. It just has to be far enough. :P

Last update for the night: got most of his armor finished along with his head and trophy rack. Still a lot to go though.

med_gallery_78067_12433_404005.jpg

Damn, he looks good.

Thanks man. :D I've taken this opportunity to experiment with a couple things (mostly the skulls and the fleshtone) and they've appeared to turn out pretty well. Lucky me! :P

How did you make the darker tone? It looks awesome...

Iron warriors were my very first army... new box with mk 3... no. Stop it!

I... don't know? The armor itself is simply Leadbelcher drybrushed up through Ironbreaker and Runefang Steel, then washed in various places with Agrax Earthshade, Drakenhof Nightshande, and Nuln Oil.That's really all there is to the armor itself. I've deliberately limited the palette of paints I'm using on the model too, so that's affected the tone too. It wasn't necessarily a conscious decision though, so that's why i say that I'm not sure what's caused the darker tone. I am rather satisfied with it though.

I lied... You can sit with me in the mess hall of the Phallanx again... Just clean up that knee pad. My favorite part of the model is that face. It's dark and I like how you turned the head down and shaded the ideas. Makes him look dark and brooding. Now I have to make a trophy out of an Iron warrior....

Remember you did this.

I lied... You can sit with me in the mess hall of the Phallanx again... Just clean up that knee pad. My favorite part of the model is that face. It's dark and I like how you turned the head down and shaded the ideas. Makes him look dark and brooding. Now I have to make a trophy out of an Iron warrior....

Remember you did this.

Yay! Tonight we dine in Hell  the Phalanx! And yeah, the hazard stripes and stuff need a lot of work. I am very proud of the head, too. Wanna know a secret?

Hidden Content

It's insanely simple. Literally just Rakarth Flesh with an all-over wash of Drakenhof Nightshade, and then Nuln Oil in the eyes.

I won't forget. ;)

Well done, Brother.

Now give us more.

Soon, brother, soon. ;)

Looking excellent, Psycho. Is that a wrist mounted grenade launcher?

Yes it is. :) On both wrists actually. I'm pretty proud of that particular bit. I was going to mount them on the shoulder pads at first, but it seemed like a better idea on the wrists. It wasn't until afterwards that I noticed they evoked his Dad's wrist-mounted cannons.

Archived