Getting Started with RG (phobos dudes and better photos)

SanguinaryGuardsman

You do know you're not allowed to paint your Terminators white with black helmets, yeah?

In all seriousness I think that scheme is epic. Really original and they provide a strong counterpoint to the rest of the force, whilst still fitting the theme. I'm tempted to nick the idea but it would just come across as blatant plagiarism, I think.

On the blood spatters, I think less is more. Like Damo said, add too much and it starts to look like he's bathed in blood for fun rather than happening to get some on him in battle.

Where are those wing-faced helmets from?

Plagiarize all you want.  The helmets are from anvil industries.. dirt cheap.  http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Heads-helmets-crests/Raven-Helmet   50p each... practically free.  

Hmmm... less blood??? golly gee.  This is 40k not some PG-13 movie with CGI blood myst!?  

I figured that if an 8 foot tall space marine in terminator armour smashed someone with a giant hammer... it would be a lot bloodier than if a normal human shanked someone with a knife.  

I might need to test the minimalist approach to blood on another model... just in case you guys are right.  

I love the blue highlights and accents on these Raven Guards. And the railgun-like lascannons as well, though it's hard for me to assimilate a weapon that can be held like a mere rifle to be a heavy-class Imperium weapon, haha.

And I understand the white terminators. All space marines are terror weapons and while the XIXth Legion specializes in the "never seen" kind, if there's one Adeptus Astartes unit that screams the "what the enemy can see, he'll soon learn to fear" side of terror weapons, it's the terminators.

As for the gore, the example looks good, but then again he's got a chainfist. Realistically, a space marine would be entirely covered in blood (or ichor if we're talking tyranids) from head to toe by the end of a battle with enough enemies, but it's hard to take seriously on a model. It's not even about being tasteful (the ridiculously subjective way I try to model my blood), but about not looking silly.

I can imagine (in that strangely imaginary kinda way) one side of the dude being covered in gore from the chainfist.  Maybe some on the other side from the constant motions in warfare (I humbly presume).  But would that be the same for his back?

Gotta ask the question: Does the cutting edge of the chainfist run toward or away from him?

If it's toward him, he would be absolutely drenched in blood on the left side simply from the chainfist throwing all the gore straight toward him.

Ok I had a tough time deciding but fate decided for me...

http://i.imgur.com/GYteyHD.jpg

The deciding factor was this video I saw on youtube when just clicking around randomly...

https://youtu.be/N_XNfHRLSKQ?t=20

I went with the subtle blood at first but after seeing this video I decided that Space Marine Terminators with Thunder Hammers were capable of much more.

And I finished basing/decalling/varnishing this ASMs.  I posted them earlier but they look much much better with decals/basing.  

http://i.imgur.com/JT7z91z.jpg

Going forward for 8th... I'm retooling my tac squads.  Right now I have three 5 man tac squads with plasmaguns but I'm going to buy a dev box and make my tac squads into two 10 man squads with plasma guns/plasma cannons/combi plasma.  This is for two reasons... 1. Plasma is awsome and should reck face in 8th. 2. I love how plasma cannons look... really beefy 3. I want the extra heavy weapon bitz from the devastator box.  

I think tac squads are going to be very good in 8th and want to have a couple of strong squads that can handle vehicles/MEQs/blobs.  

I'm also planning to go all infantry for the start of 8th.  The only vehicles I'm going to use are drop pods(no more than 2) and maybe a stormraven.  Everything else in on foot!  Oh.. gonna have a bunch of snipers..I want to as annoying as heck with sniping characters/models with weapon upgrades.  I might even go with a vindicare... if the force org system makes it relatively easy to take.  

Anyways... coming in the next 2 weeks... 20 tacticals with lots of plasma.. fully based with decals and whatever else I can think of.

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, and maybe for good reason , but would you care to detail your painting of the black and the blue highlighting? I am looking to do the same for my own RG but haven't come across anything as magnificent as yours. 

If it's a trade secret that's fine as well. :ph34r.:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, and maybe for good reason , but would you care to detail your painting of the black and the blue highlighting? I am looking to do the same for my own RG but haven't come across anything as magnificent as yours. 

If it's a trade secret that's fine as well. :ph34r.:

Pretty simple stuff...

Prime with Vallejo Model Air Black primer.. using a brush.  :sad.:  Need an airbrush!

Basecoat with Vallejo Model Color Black

Edge Highlight all sharp edges with a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Model Color Basalt Grey and Vallejo Model Color Blue with some Liquitex Slo-dri.  The slo-dri is important because it lets you work with paint for like 5x longer before it dries out.  Saves $$$  You could probably use Neutral grey and not be able to tell the difference.  Basalt grey is the same as Dawnstone but im not sure if VMC blue has a GW equivalent.  

Extreme edge highlights on sharp corners with Vallejo Model Color Sky Blue.  I've done this on a few models so far.. lazy :sad.:

The bolter/chainsword casings are VMC Dark Prussian Blue(maybe 3 coats over the black basecoat) edge highlighted with a 50/50 mix of VMC Blue and VMC Andrea Blue.

Pretty straight forward.  

All edge highlights are done with a size 2 brush.

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

• 1 month later...

The chapters heavy support getting ready for fire drills.  During recent campaigns the so-called heavy metal ravens have become crack shots with the heavy bolter.  It turns out that most xenos don't react well to bullets.  

http://i.imgur.com/n4vOceG.jpg

Overcharge addiction is very real.  If you get a sudden euphoric rush when overcharging or feel the need to overcharge against grots, cultists or even when not in combat, please report to Apothecary Valens immediately.  

http://i.imgur.com/UG0TMAO.jpg

8th edition messed with my army a bit and the lists i want to run are a tight on points so these models are either sternguard with combi weapons of the melta/plasma variety or just company vets with pure melta/plasma.  Not quite WYSIWYG but pretty close.  Just thought I'd toss in a group shot since they are now all based/varnished/decaled.    

http://i.imgur.com/BWIHZ4k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I was waffling on about inceptors recently in other threads.  So I thought I'd put my $$ where my mouth is.  Mine arrived yesterday in the mail.  I was just messing around with paint schemes and came up with this.  Comments/criticisms/suggestions are welcome.

I hope when the codex comes out these guys get some other weapon options.  I would really love to have some melta inceptors.  Dual primaris assault meltas with 18" range and str 9.  That would be really sweet.  If not I'm quite happy with the dakka version.  

http://i.imgur.com/ybvuO7w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OhnA0ym.jpg

Ugh tall bottles! The number of wash bottles I've accidentally knocked over and ruined shirts in the process.

The new taller ones are even worse for that, coupled with the fact my hobby station right now is our hobby table! :dry.:

Well, Holy Terra I did it.  For the first time I have a fully painted, fully based, decaled army of 2000 points.  I originally had planned my Raven Guard over a year ago for 1500-2000 points but never quite had it 100% complete.  I came close but then GW messed me up with 8th edition.  I had to reconfigure my army and added a few options/impulse buys.  Here is my current 8th edition list.  It is by no means a competitive/beard/hard list but its mine.  

HQ

Shrike, 150  <--- actually a "couts as" model.  I hate failcast and wont pay for it.

Librarian, Jump Pack 128

Troops

5 man Scouts with shotguns, sarge with power sword.  59 points

10 man Tactical Squad, plasmagun,plasmacannon, combiplasma , 179

10 man Tactical Squad, plasmagun,plasmacannon, combiplasma , 179

Elites

10 man Sternguard Veterans, 5 with combi melt, 5 with combi plasma, 330 points

5 man Assault Terminators , 5 thunder hammer + stormshield, 280

Fast Attack

10 man Assault Marines,jump packs, 2 flamers, sarge with an eviscerator, 200

3 man scout bike squad, 2 grenade launchers, 99 points

Heavy Support

5 man Devastator Marines, 4 lascannons, cherub, 170 points

5 man Devastator Marines, 4 Heavy Bolters, cherub, 110 points

Transports

Drop Pod

So there it is.  The idea was to stuff as much firepower into reserves as possible.  The sternguard go into the pod and they sit in reserse with the terminators and ASMs.  Shrike goes into reserve and drops down with the sternguard to give them his reroll aura.  Libby drops with the terminators to cast veil of time on them.  Tacs go at mid field in cover.  Scouts... as needed.  Devs in or around the tacs... hopefully to form a bubble so the devs cant get deepstrike charged.  Might be difficult be that was the idea.  This is all pre-codex/strategem so this list is going to change a lot in the coming months.  

Future Plans...

1. expand the devs to 10 man squads to leverage the RG CT.  I want my lascannons/bolters firing all game long.

2. add veteran bikers with meltas/axes or axes/storm bolters.  

3. Reivers... not sure how many but they are going to bring the pain.

4. Scout Snipers

5. More Tacticals, 2 additional 10 man squads with flamer,combi flamer, lascannon/multimelta.

6. More Terminators!  I want a 10 man shooty squad and another 5 man assualt squad with claws... clad in white terminator armour.  

Needless to say, this is an infantry force that is going to branch into 2 forces... a horde of mostly tacticals/devs/scouts, an elite force with bikers/terminators/sternguard/inceptors.  

Tomorrow I will finally venture out into the local meta.  I know no one in my city but have played 30-40 games with family/friends over the last year.  I have had a few glimpses at what is out there.  Orks, marines, sisters, guard appear to be well represented in these parts.  

Pics coming of entire army and perhaps battle reports.  Wish me luck.

Nice work! Good luck you have a solid list there! Looking forward to the batreps. :D

I moved countries last year and 40k is one of the main ways I met new people outside of work so I wouldn't worry too much about that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished an ancient... sort of an impulse buy.  But I will have it on the table at some point.

http://i.imgur.com/B3HVNbH.jpg

So how bad did misalign the "shadow born" on the banner?  I just couldnt move the decal much once it hit the surface of the model. :( It looks real good at 18-24 inches but pretty awful up close. Pisses me off.  What do you guys think about it?  Should I paint over the misaligned text or just leave it?

Model and banner looks great! I didn't even notice the misalignment.

Unless its really bugging you I'd leave it. One of those things where messing with it will probably only make it worse.

Corax used XIX legion termies (Deliverers) as terror/total annihilation troops, used only when he was really, really crossed about someone.

So Ghost Ravens are very much in keeping with the way the Primarch intended :-)

Tempted to follow suit (geddit) with your scheme in my +hhote+ entry