Solar Auxilia and knights - 2500 points

Ulrik_Ironfist

I'm trying to plan out my solar auxilia army build, and I figured I'd post a list.

Solar Auxilia AoD:

HQ

Legate Commander: Lord Marshal, Digital laser, Displacer Matrix, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon (maul)

Troops

Auxilia Tercio:

Veletaris Storm Section: Needle Pistol and Charnabal Sabre on prime, Shroud Bombs and Nuncio Vox

Veletaris Storm Section: Needle Pistol and Charnabal Sabre on prime, Shroud Bombs and Nuncio Vox

Dracosan Transport: Demolisher Cannon, Extra Armor

Dracosan Transport: Demolisher Cannon, Extra Armor

Auxilia Tercio:

Lasrifle Section: Blast Chargers

Fast Attack:

Auxilia thunderbolt: ground augeries

Auxilia thunderbolt: ground augeries

Questoris Knights AD:

HQ:

Lord Scion: Warden w/thunderstrike gauntlet

Troops:

Scion: Errant

Scion: Errant

That's the list at 2460 points. Is there anything I should drop or anything I should take? The idea is to have the veletarii to run way out ahead, jump out of their transports and volkite things to death, while the dracosan provides some anti-armor/crowd control. The shroud bombs should help protect the veletarii from getting charged.

The Lasrifle section will provide some backfield support as the advance to hold the ground the veletarii and knights take.

The Thunderbolts are there because I like them, and I also want some air support to take on enemy ground targets, or to secure the skies so that my forces are not getting eaten alive by my opponent's air support.

How does this sound?

To be honest, I'd drop the upgrades off the Veletaris Primes. if you're in combat with marines, chances are you've already lost, and I'd prefer the charger to a needle pistol in most cases. That said, YMMV, so if you like them, keep them. Maybe drop a few more unit upgrades and grab a rapier?

I take it the HQ hangs out with the lasgun squad? Again, he's (kinda) tooled for combat, but his squad isn't and you don't really want him in combat. I've been toying with dual plasma pistols. With the cheaper price, it's not as idiotic as it initially sounds, and he overwatches with them at BS2. You can even mastercraft one for more accuracy if you like. I'd try to find the points for artificer for him, if you can.

Apart from that, it looks like a pretty solid list. Let us know how you get on with it.

Dallo

To be honest, I'd drop the upgrades off the Veletaris Primes. if you're in combat with marines, chances are you've already lost, and I'd prefer the charger to a needle pistol in most cases. That said, YMMV, so if you like them, keep them. Maybe drop a few more unit upgrades and grab a rapier?

You make a really good point about the Veletaris Primes, so I dropped their upgrades. Don't think I'll have points for a rapier with what I have in mind though.

I take it the HQ hangs out with the lasgun squad? Again, he's (kinda) tooled for combat, but his squad isn't and you don't really want him in combat. I've been toying with dual plasma pistols. With the cheaper price, it's not as idiotic as it initially sounds, and he overwatches with them at BS2. You can even mastercraft one for more accuracy if you like. I'd try to find the points for artificer for him, if you can.

Yeah the HQ will be hanging out with the lasgun squad. Though the idea with the displacer martix is that if he takes a hit, he can deep strike back in without scatter near an embattled veletaris squad, or right back into his lasgun squad (due to the nuncio vox). I wanted to stay away from a gunslinger Legate because I kinda like things to be WYSIWYG, and the model I will be using for my Legate doesn't have two pistols. I did go for a Volkite Serpentia for his pistol instead of plasma, considering I really like Volkite. I did give him Artificer Armor (though he doesn't look like he has it, which bugs me a bit). The idea with the Legate is that he can defend himself, but he's really there to buff the army with Ld10 and to buff whatever squad he ends up near with a void shield, since I gave him the Void shield harness. That may not be the best use for him as the void shield only covers a 5 inch diameter circle...

Apart from that, it looks like a pretty solid list. Let us know how you get on with it.

My primary opponents will likely be 40k armies, Necrons and Tau mostly (as most of the folks I get to play 40k against have to use my armies).

• 2 weeks later...

I've refined this list idea somewhat, with some new information.

My list now stands at:

HQ:

Lord Marshal: Nanyte Blaster, Artificer Armor, Volkite Serpentia, Master Crafted Power Weapon (maul), Digital Weapons, Displacer Matrix, and grav wave generator. (Yes he's costly, but I want him to stay alive)

Tactical Command Section: 2 GL Auxilia

Troops:

Infantry Tercio: 2 Veletaris Storm sections, shroud bombs and nuncio vox

Infantry Tercio: Lasgun Section, blast chargers

Fast Attack:

2 Thunderbolt fighters with ground tracking Auguries

Ally: Questoris Knights

Seneschal: Knight warden, thunderstrike gauntlet, Ironstorm missile pod

2 Scion Martial in Paladins with rapid fire battle cannons.

So, with the Lord Marshal being able to pick his warlord trait, I would take Master of Ambush from the Strategic traits table. Here's where it gets hairy, I don't know whether the whole tercio counts in terms of unit to grant infiltrate, or if I must grant infiltrate to the subordinate squads. In the case of the tercio, I would grant both tercios infiltrate per master of ambush, and then grant my tactical command section infiltrate. I would deploy my forces in cover close to my opponent so that I would be in range to begin hammering his infantry. In the case that it must be subordinate units, I'd grant infiltrate to my veletarii and to my lasrifle section, and keep my tactical command in the back, and foot slogging them up to support the lasrifles, with +1BS. I'd also put my Lord Marshal up in front with my Veletarii, attaching him to one of the squads at deployment.

I'd use the nuncio voxes to improve the accuracy of the precision bombardment from my tactical command section as well as the ironstorm missile pod from my Seneschal. In addition, I'd use the nuncio voxes to improve the accuracy of my thunderbolt's deep strike (situation dependent).

This list is designed to work around my lack of transports at the moment. While I do have Leman Russ Tanks, I really like knights. I also have this idea that my particular Cohort of the Solar Auxilia was drawn from a Knight House, and so they work very closely with Knights from their world. more than likely I will be using Leman Russ Incinerators and vanquishers as my primary russ tanks, since I also plan to get some dracosans for my veletarii, and that will satisfy my demolisher cannon itch.

Is there anything I really need to think about in terms of things. I have yet to get a game with this army, and I'm just theory crafting right now.

I like the list, and would love to see how it plays out. Looks fun and I don't really have any solid input to improve it.

On the issue of infiltrate and tercios, I'd bet money that the entire tercio isn't one unit for that. Still, your plan sounds like it would still work out just fine. 

On the issue of infiltrate and tercios, I'd bet money that the entire tercio isn't one unit for that. Still, your plan sounds like it would still work out just fine. 

Yeah, I figured as much. I had to ask the question since I've never seen it come up (like with platoons). I'd just modify the plan somewhat to allow for the command section to sit in the back and do stuff.

I just wish the Precision Bombardment was more along the lines of the Master of Ordnance, being able to use it every turn. But if I read it right, it's more accurate so that's less of an issue. Plus it syncs with the nuncio vox quite well, allowing the strategos to sit back while the bombardment draws LoS from one of my nuncio voxes and thus reducing scatter by the stategos's ballistic skill.

I'm now really wishing I had some rapiers with quad mortars, because that would significantly boost my barrage ability...

Archived